• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delio

New OT yay let's get geared up for this.

ibmGLYCp0XD2Kk.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Gross, the charts become even less relevant now.

But whew is even surprised tho, the era of true chart kings and queens is over. The fact that the latest lowest common denominator excrement that Maroon 5 (as a particularly egregious example) can stick around for so long tells you something's busted.

#stayinglotus

Just because we don't like what we see on the charts doesn't mean the charts are not relevant.

Gangnam Style, Thrift Shop, and now Harlem Shake WERE or ARE popular in society. It's only reasonable, imo, to add YouTube views because MILLIONS of people go to the site to listen to music as can be observed by the view counts.

So, if there is anyone to blame, it's the general public >_>

cory64

They might as well count how many times someone previewed a track on iTunes if they're going to count 30-second videos.

royalan

Just because we don't like what we see on the charts doesn't mean the charts are not relevant.

Gangnam Style, Thrift Shop, and now Harlem Shake WERE or ARE popular in society. It's only reasonable, imo, to add YouTube views because MILLIONS of people go to the site to listen to music as can be observed by the view counts.

So, if there is anyone to blame, it's the general public >_>

I agree, but at the same time I think there are so many ways this can be abused.

How do they regulate it?

I don't think fan videos should count.

Do official lyric videos count in conjuction with the music video?

What about artists who release multiple versions of a music video? Is that cheating?

There are just too many things to consider here, so I think there definitely needs to be more rigid regulation than just "any video that features the song gets counted."

Also, as Waffle pointed out, this REALLY screws over ballads, which hardly ever go viral.

I feel like Billboard is screwing over the Hot 100 AND radio with this move. Radio is already one big, homogenic mess. Imagine what it's going to be like when artists, producers, and labels start prioritizing the type of music that typically accompanies a viral video It's going to be the EDM craze x100. :(

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
yes, Billboard obviously wants the dance craze to continue thriving. They are preparing for ARTPOP and ha hit singles

itBvnlUpGTBHx.gif

moulels

Great new OT *.*

I think Gaga will successfully end the dance craze with ARTPOP and later Britney will introduce us to the sound of the next pop era *.*

Kyon

Banned
jusT got the news.......... im officially done with this shit. It's like the buying public doesnt have any say in anything anymore. FUCK BILLBOARD AND FUCK ALL THESE 1 HIT WONDER VIRAL NOBODIES MANIPULATING YOUTUBE VIDEO VIEWS NOW BEING ABLE TO GET HITS. BB is officially NOT a good source for tracking. Im seriously over this

until my faves go #1 *cough*

Aguila

#ICONIC
I agree, but at the same time I think there are so many ways this can be abused.

How do they regulate it?

I don't think fan videos should count.

Do official lyric videos count in conjuction with the music video?

What about artists who release multiple versions of a music video? Is that cheating?

There are just too many things to consider here, so I think there definitely needs to be more rigid regulation than just "any video that features the song gets counted."

Also, as Waffle pointed out, this REALLY screws over ballads, which hardly ever go viral.

I feel like Billboard is screwing over the Hot 100 AND radio with this move. Radio is already one big, homogenic mess. Imagine what it's going to be like when artists, producers, and labels start prioritizing the type of music that typically accompanies a viral video It's going to be the EDM craze x100. :(

I have no idea how they will regulate this.

In any case, going viral does equal being POPular. If viral songs overshadow ballads, that's just the way it is.

Before, I would have said that we probably shouldn't worry about a constant appearance of one-hit-wonders/viral songs on top of the charts but, lately, we've had a string of them (Call Me Maybe, Gangnam Style, Thrift Shop, and now Harlem Shake). This is a worrisome trend indeeD.

Harlem Shake is going to clock #1 for 10 weeks.

At least.

Nope, it'll only last until YouTube gets nerfed to airplay levels. At the moment, 90% of Harlem Shake's chart points is from YouTube streams, and 28 YouTube streams score more points than one legal download, which is blatant bollocks. The Hot 100 are invalid until that number is at least one thousand, in my opinion.

[Edit] On the plus side, if One Way or Another benefits by this, it means more American money going to Comic Relief (I hope).

Delio

Cant wait to inflate random boybands to the HEAVENS. Like 5 seconds of Summer. *Touring with One Direction this year *

I have no idea how they will regulate this.

In any case, going viral does equal being POPular. If viral songs overshadow ballads, that's just the way it is.

Before, I would have said that we probably shouldn't worry about a constant appearance of one-hit-wonders/viral songs on top of the charts but, lately, we've had a string of them (Call Me Maybe, Gangnam Style, Thrift Shop, and now Harlem Shake). This is a worrisome trend indeeD.

now cysT u r trying it with this jepsus shade, u bout to get ur WHOLE weave snatched up by the in-sink garbagE disPOSAL.

She's more of a 1.5 hit wonder, if we're all being honest with ourselves.

cory64

309,000 on-demand streaming vs 103 million overall streaming for HS
2 million ODS vs 10.1 million overall streaming for TS

You can't tell me that even though 6x as many people were listening to Thrift Shop on Spotify et.al., the new YouTube rules accurately captures the SONG's popularity.

Styles

tumblr_mijlogAORD1qd3quqo1_500.jpg

Her Brit Awards performance was hot! That dubstep breakdown! This and the WANEGBT performance at the Grammys are previews for her upcoming tour!

However, I have a few nit picks:

- Vocals were shaky during the second verse
- Mic volumes for the back-up singers were too loud

Notice how it's already slaying Dear?

Yup I did. I actually like it more than I thought I would. It slays.

309,000 on-demand streaming vs 103 million overall streaming for HS
2 million ODS vs 10.1 million overall streaming for TS

You can't tell me that even though 6x as many people were listening to Thrift Shop on Spotify et.al., the new YouTube rules accurately captures the SONG's popularity.

Though imo this was an EXCEPTIONAL week for it. Not sure whether it will happen often.

I still see it being scaled back somewhat though.

Aguila

#ICONIC
now cysT u r trying it with this jepsus shade, u bout to get ur WHOLE weave snatched up by the in-sink garbagE disPOSAL.

She's more of a 1.5 hit wonder, if we're all being honest with ourselves.

Okay, I should have probably just said "viral songs" because that CMM video did spawn thousands of dookie-inducing parodies.
ibw8WnmzOnHvAC.gif

Bladenic

Huh? That doesn't look like Frank Ocean?

Also my first post in OT5, bless Royalan.
Also bless Sony for setting Nintendo back another generation.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom