• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#popMAFIA | So don’t let this be our final song

cabot

As the dulcet sounds of "Never Going to Give You Up" fade, the camera returns to the PNN newsdesk, where the back of a large red chair can be seen. It turns, revealing a grinning LP.

"Welcome back to PNN on this glorious Sunday Morning."

"It's Monday," came a Voice from off-camera.

"Right. Don't mind the chair, it was on sale. Let's go to the intrepid cabot for a report, shall we?"

The camera shifts to cabot, talking on the phone.

"Cabot! Why are you at a Payphone?"

cabot, startled, puts his hand on the receiver. "Trying to call home."

"How did you even find a payphone outside of a museum?"

"Makes Me Wonder about that too." cabot uncovers the receiver. "I'll have to call you back, Sugar." He hangs up.

LP raises a singular eyebrow. "Forget it, I Don't Wanna Know. Anything to report?"

"Yes, but it may cause viewers some Misery. Earlier, Adam Levine of Maroon 5 was performing at a street corner when police pulled up and arrested him. I couldn't get close but I heard them say it was for marijuana possession!" The camera pans to a large cloud of smoke a few blocks away.

"Animals!" exclaimed LP. "As a tribute to Mr. Levine, here's 30 minutes of Maroon 5 music. Don't go away."

"Animals!" exclaimed PNN's legions platoons squads handful of viewers.

QuantumBro has been ejected from the game!

Greetings! Welcome to #popMAFIA!

You are Adam Levine, frontman of alleged ‘band with talent’ Maroon 5.

I’ll level with you here, if I was ever going to make a music themed Mafia game, you were always going to be scum. Maroon 5 are fucking shite. They make me vomit. But hey, you’ve got the #moveslikeJagger, I guess that’s why some people can be convinced that you are somewhat listenable.

They’re all wrong.

For inspiration (hahahahahaha), your Spotify page is HERE

You are aligned with SCUM.

You are a Tracker. During the night, you can target a player. If they visited someone, you will see who they visited.

You have a night kill. The command is KILL: <name>. You will not be able to perform any other commands with your night kill unless you are the last person standing.

Your SCUM team mates are <redacted>

The SCUM chat is HERE

The game thread is: HERE

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM cabot.

You win when your team equal or outnumber all other players..

Day 2 Begins:
cya_1480024800.png

As the last Maroon 5 video ends, the camera returns to LP.

"Seeing Adam Levine cavorting with beautiful women really makes you re-evaluate your love life. Is that right, cabot?"

cabot puts a hand to his ear. "Sorry, I didn't catch that. Bad signal."

"Hey cabot, I'm the worst."

"Oh I definitely agree. I mean, all I hear is static!"

LP smirks, sending everyone most a few someone into a tizzy.

"Who's that with you cabot?"

"I dunno, but he says he's a music fan! Isn't that right?" cabot thrusts the mic into the face of a young, pale, acne-covered boy wearing Beats headphones.

"Yes I enjoy all sorts of music, especially pop. You never know what you'll get when you press 'Shuffle'!"

"Shuffle... that's the only option available on Spotify free, isn't it? You know that some artists depend a lot on streaming revenue?" said cabot, his mood darkening.

LP nodded grimly. "This station itself is supported by artists. If they can't earn a living from sales and streaming, then we won't exist either."

The boy puffed in indignation. "Subscription services are a rip-off! The radio is free and Youtube videos are free. I'm not giving money to millionaires so they can put out mediocre albums and expensive concerts. I wish Napster was still around."

cabot gasped. "Only 90's kids member Napster!"

"Oh I member", said LP.

Suddenly, cabot is pushed aside by a woman. "Dick, why aren't you in school?" she yells.

The boy blushes. "Mom, I'm on TV. Not now!"

Dick's mother waves a piece of paper at her. "Look at this bill! You've been using my credit card again. Why are there so many purchases of Taylor Swift music?"

Dick blushes even more. "She's not on Spotify" he mumbles. His mother grabs him by the shoulder and drags him away.

cabot can't contain his glee. "Well that was unexpected."

LP nods. "You sure know how to pick 'em, cabot. We'll be back."

combine42 has been ejected from the game!

Greetings! Welcome to #popMAFIA!

You are The Spotify Streamer.

Consume, consume, CONSUME!!!!

You must devour all content available to you. You are the future. It’s all #instantgratification and #millennial. No one will get in your way, you’ll listen how you want, when you want, what you want. You’re the greatest.

You are aligned with NO-ONE.

You are a Power Consumer. During the night, you can target a player. Any actions taken towards your target will instead be redirected towards you.

All redirected actions will have no effect on you and you cannot self-target.

Oh, and since you only have the free version of Spotify, you can only use shuffle play. This means you will be PMed an artist by the moderator at the start of the day phase, and you must post three lyrics from them throughout the day phase.

Failure to do this on a day phase will result in a modkill.

In order to help create a cover, here are two fake name claims. These people are confirmed not to be in the game:

Justin Bieber
Kylie Minogue

The game thread is: HERE

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM cabot.

You win when you successfully redirect three actions. You will leave the game once this is achieved.

"Breaking news! Bronx-Man, you've been called out!"

Bronx-Man has been called out.

Suddenly a loud whirring noise can be heard from under the newsdesk.

"Wait, we're getting something. A fax with the presidential seal on it..."

Callout has been rescinded on executive order.

Day 2 begins

Day 2 ends:
http://www.pending.me.uk/cd/cya_1480370400.png

Kalor

Combine having to post three lyrics would explain their more fluffy posts. I wonder if the roll-call can be done multiple times since it seems like the first one was overriden.

Burbeting

Banned
Judging by the wording of Combine's PM ("All redirected actions will have no effect on you"), it's most likely he was targeted directly?

--

QB was scum, that's a great start. All those people who say D1 is useless :p.

Sawneeks

Banned
RIP Combine, even though you were a dirty Neutral. :p

Also, good job with yesterday everyone! I'm pretty sure Town has won every game where we lynch Mafia Day 1 so we have this in the bag. Scum should just give up now, really.

All joking aside, I'm going to be gone for the rest of today. It's Thanksgiving for us in the US so I'm going to be with family, although I should be back tomorrow.

Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving everyone! <3

Any commentary, Haly...?

I'm not sure if it was very wise to claim this early, unless you think scum has some bulletproof role.

It gives us something to work on for today.

I was either blocked or haly was a godfather,or I was switched to a godfather/bulletproof. Since i was stopped once, I don't expect to be able to use my power again, so be it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
LoC, can you explain more clearly what you're claiming, please?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, obvious answer: combine targeted Haly, your kill was redirected to combine and had no effect, and mafia targeted combine directly, resulting in his death.

Burbeting

Banned
I'm confused that Combine has no win condition in his role PM. His role seems to be mostly towny (I mean, it essentially can act like a jailer, except their target seems to be able to use their power during the night).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why would I be dead? Is this a Vig claim?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Possible. Insane odds, but possible.

I mean, if you are a vigilante, I doubt there are any other killing roles -- mafia and vigilante is two kills a night, which is a lot for a small-ish 17 player game. There is only one player dead tonight, which is combine. The only possible way combine can die is if targeted directly. You say it wasn't you, and as we inferred above, there is probably only mafia who also have a kill, so if you are telling the truth, it isn't just possible, it is very strongly probable that mafia, at the least, targeted combine. So that means your kill went missing somewhere. Do we know of any roles that might do that? Well, yes, combine's.

I think this was a pretty silly claim, LoC. It didn't help us at all.

Kalor

I'm confused that Combine has no win condition in his role PM. His role seems to be mostly towny (I mean, it essentially can act like a jailer, except their target seems to be able to use their power during the night).

He wins when he redirects three actions.

cabot

QUEENS!

I'd like to thank L_P for covering my delicious ass while I was unable to start your day.

I have, however, updated the SHORTCUT POST

The OFFICIAL #popMAFIA playlist AM I POP? has also been updated. It can be found HERE.

8 votes for majority.

Carry on.

5rMzDza.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
I've been called out? What does that mean? Is scum targeting me for being the first to focus on QB?

Speaking of which, turns out I was right and QuantumBro was scum. Out of sheer incompetence, he outed himself and tried to pass it off as a joke. But he said something about Apple Music and me being the Tim Cook. Is the scum chat labeled as Tidal Boardroom or something?

I've been called out? What does that mean? Is scum targeting me for being the first to focus on QB?

Speaking of which, turns out I was right and QuantumBro was scum. Out of sheer incompetence, he outed himself and tried to pass it off as a joke. But he said something about Apple Music and me being the Tim Cook. Is the scum chat labeled as Tidal Boardroom or something?

Maroon 5 is on Spotify too though, maybe everything. I think it was a joke, and we got lucky, but who knows.

Madonna is a co-owner of Tidal even.

Haly

I mulled it over while making a Thanksgiving day sandwich and I don't understand the Vig claim from a tactical perspective.

Likely scenarios:

1) I was protected: I'm not sure who would want to protect me
2) I am town with passive protection: Grats, you just tried to out me and render my protection useless, if it wasn't already made useless by your kill
3) I am scum with passive protection: Well it's gone now and you can try again tonight, except you might get blocked, and scum can remove another threat from the game
4) Some #unnecessarygambit shenanigans

So what's the deal?

CCS

Banned
This is going well, we're racking up the non-town body count.

Only just got in so I'll post more detailed thoughts in the morning.

I mulled it over while making a Thanksgiving day sandwich and I don't understand the Vig claim from a tactical perspective.

Likely scenarios:

1) I was protected: I'm not sure who would want to protect me
2) I am town with passive protection: Grats, you just tried to out me and render my protection useless, if it wasn't already made useless by your kill
3) I am scum with passive protection: Well it's gone now and you can try again tonight, except you might get blocked, and scum can remove another threat from the game
4) Some #unnecessarygambit shenanigans

So what's the deal?

Is this supposed to convince me you're town, because lol.

But can someone explain why Haly is on the chopping block today? I get that LoC is claiming he targeted Haly. But why did he target Haly, because the implication is that Haly did something suspicious yesterday.

It looks like you were called out... but something interrupted the ability.

But can someone explain why Haly is on the chopping block today? I get that LoC is claiming he targeted Haly. But why did he target Haly, because the implication is that Haly did something suspicious yesterday.

I got a low activity scum read.

Haly posted little, tried to blend in, didn't make an end day post, but almost immediately posted after the day ended. Showing that they were reading, but not posting. Which is scummy since I called them out before day end, twice, yet they didn't bother to respond, even though it seemed like they were here. It's a gut read, nothing air tight.

Huh. This means either someone from town had the ability to shield me last night or someone tried role-blocking whoever tried using some callout ability on me.

I think we can probably let the mystery rest for now. If this callout thing is an ability we'll probably see it again later. And its possible both parties are town so nobody should out themselves at this point.

Haly

To me the call out is like one of those public cops. I don't know the exact term for the roll but what they do is broadcast their findings for everyone to see. The fact that Bronx-man wasn't hit makes me think he's town. If the ability was really blocked I doubt we'd see anything; a roleblocked ability still has secondary/leftover effects is just really weird.

Haly

It's a bad move. You explain to me what he can possibly gain by accusing me of being protected and outing himself in the process. Is it an #ourogambit? Is there some deeper strategem I'm missing?

Flame_AC

I don't think we're going to get anything today on whatever the call-out is, perhaps day 3 we can see if it happens to another person and go from there.

On the idea of information, I think that a day 3 lynch of Bronx-man might be useful to see if the call-out can establish a pattern. Do that or whoever the person that is called out is, myself included.

As for Day 2, I'm not sure where I'd like to go yet. This Vig thing is interesting, trying to figure out how Haly fits into this situation.

CCS

Banned
Initial thoughts:

-Not sure what to make of LoC's claim on Haly, don't know if I'm buying it or not.

-Call out block is interesting, as Flame said perhaps waiting to see what happens by day 3 is the way forward there.

-Hard to gather too much reliable information from Combine's death, given his ability means he doesn't have to have been directly targeted, plus LoC's claim muddies the waters there even further.

All in all, some interesting developments but we're a little light on new evidence.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If I wasn't on mobileGAF I'd be posting tumbleweed .gifs.

Sawneeks

Banned
Maybe we should just turn this game into nothing but gifs. Might get activity up at least. :x

On Haly v. LoC: I'm still questioning LoC's claim. If he is a multi-shot Vig then why claim after your first missed shot? Wouldn't the better thing to do be stay quiet and just try again? Although this does make me feel like LoC isn't Scum, a read I still held even after QB flipped, because Scum losing 1 member and then opening up the next Day with a gambit over a 'lost kill' sounds WAY too risky in such a small game.

I feel like we're sitting at 2 Scum left. 3 total at the start with 1 Neutral, making it 13 vs 3 vs 1 game. The Neutral is now gone so that only leaves the 2 Scum. LoC being Scum and having this gambit with only 2 members left doesn't feel like the case here, although I could be wrong.

Haly...I'll admit I didn't really have a read there and I still don't. He was really quiet on Day 1 and was basically absent for the later parts of that Day Phase. I could see where LoC got a low activity Scum Read but there were a lot of other people with low activity as well so I'm not sure what made Haly stick out. I will say I don't like Haly's response to LoC's question, the one CornBro pointed out, as it feels incredibly handwavey and just 'hey don't worry about it'.

Bronx Call Out: I've got a ton of questions but I don't think we will get any answers. What's the call out? Why was it rescinded? Who called him out? etc. etc. etc.

It's something I want to keep an eye on though, especially if it happens again. Haly mentioned it being an active cop ( never heard of that o: ) and Bronx thinks it might be retaliatory Scum. Personally my first thought was it fell in line with a Neutral 'Call Out X amount of people to win' or something, but with Combine dead that kind of kills that train of thought.

I don't think we're going to get anything today on whatever the call-out is, perhaps day 3 we can see if it happens to another person and go from there.

On the idea of information, I think that a day 3 lynch of Bronx-man might be useful to see if the call-out can establish a pattern. Do that or whoever the person that is called out is, myself included.

As for Day 2, I'm not sure where I'd like to go yet. This Vig thing is interesting, trying to figure out how Haly fits into this situation.

Initial thoughts:

-Not sure what to make of LoC's claim on Haly, don't know if I'm buying it or not.

-Call out block is interesting, as Flame said perhaps waiting to see what happens by day 3 is the way forward there.

-Hard to gather too much reliable information from Combine's death, given his ability means he doesn't have to have been directly targeted, plus LoC's claim muddies the waters there even further.

All in all, some interesting developments but we're a little light on new evidence.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

We have flipped Scum, LoC calling out Haly, and a vote count from Day 1 and you guys don't know what to do???

I've heard of being passive but come on guys, take a stance and go.

Sawneeks

Banned
Final votes from Day 1

Day 1 votes:

quantumbro (6)
bronx-man 133
crab 267
sawneeks 275
pop-o-matic 278
burbeting 281
kalor 286

pop-o-matic (3)
haly 115
cornburrito 207
evilisk 237

flame_ac (2)
bronx-man 106 (133)
sawneeks 200 (221)
ccs 248
coppanuva 266

kryptikjoker (2)
sawneeks 94 (200)
not 202
flame_ac 206

combine42 (1)
quantumbro 93
sawneeks 221 (275)

burbeting (1)
kalor 105 (286)
kryptikjoker 201

sawneeks (1)
kryptikjoker 157 (201)
combine42 241

haly (1)
lord of castamere 220

Gonna focus on those QB ones since a Day 1 Scum lynch usually involves 2 things:

1. Inactive Scum
2. A Bus

Not to mention there was no 'panic' at Day End, making me think either the Scum Team wasn't there or they just didn't know how to divert and ended up on a bus.

Bronx: First to vote for QB and it was over his 'joke' at the start of Day 1 that Bronx felt was a slip. Will note that Bronx wasn't there for the closing hours of Day 1 so I don't know what his thoughts were or why he kept on QB.

Crab: Voted because he did not like how QB's joke was dropped so quickly from discussion and felt it wasn't a joke at all.

Sawneeks: Voted because of a Scum gut read due to his reads list that I felt was unprompted and made to look like activity. I also didn't like his non-reason for why he put people in his Town Lean and him staying on Combine who he originally voted for on like the 4th post of the game and just never moved it or talked to Combine directly.

Pop: To break the Tie Vote at the time and also because he felt like QB had made an actual slip and tried to pass it off as a joke later.

Burb: Didn't like the reads list, says it felt scummy.

Kalor: Also didn't like the joke but it was mostly for the timing of which he did it.

I personally feel like we have Scum here, mainly due to the fact of how quiet and little resistance there was to QB's lynch at Day End. Out of everyone who did vote I don't feel great about:

Mr. 'I'm scum" Pop because he felt strongly enough that QB made an actual slip but went for Kalor at first only to move it later in order to 'break the tie' and because his original target was not going to be lynched. Smells strongly of a bus by trying to vote elsewhere first, seeing the surge on his teammate, and then moved over for that Townie cred.

Kalor, but that's because I don't think I'm understanding what he meant by the 'timing in which QB made his joke' and why that was Scummy. Can you explain please. :x

Sawneeks

Banned
Gonna look for Scum in the other votes too but since we are in apparently no rush I'm going to go play video games first

brb

Kalor

Final votes from Day 1

Gonna focus on those QB ones since a Day 1 Scum lynch usually involves 2 things:

1. Inactive Scum
2. A Bus

Not to mention there was no 'panic' at Day End, making me think either the Scum Team wasn't there or they just didn't know how to divert and ended up on a bus.

Bronx: First to vote for QB and it was over his 'joke' at the start of Day 1 that Bronx felt was a slip. Will note that Bronx wasn't there for the closing hours of Day 1 so I don't know what his thoughts were or why he kept on QB.

Crab: Voted because he did not like how QB's joke was dropped so quickly from discussion and felt it wasn't a joke at all.

Sawneeks: Voted because of a Scum gut read due to his reads list that I felt was unprompted and made to look like activity. I also didn't like his non-reason for why he put people in his Town Lean and him staying on Combine who he originally voted for on like the 4th post of the game and just never moved it or talked to Combine directly.

Pop: To break the Tie Vote at the time and also because he felt like QB had made an actual slip and tried to pass it off as a joke later.

Burb: Didn't like the reads list, says it felt scummy.

Kalor: Also didn't like the joke but it was mostly for the timing of which he did it.

I personally feel like we have Scum here, mainly due to the fact of how quiet and little resistance there was to QB's lynch at Day End. Out of everyone who did vote I don't feel great about:

Mr. 'I'm scum" Pop because he felt strongly enough that QB made an actual slip but went for Kalor at first only to move it later in order to 'break the tie' and because his original target was not going to be lynched. Smells strongly of a bus by trying to vote elsewhere first, seeing the surge on his teammate, and then moved over for that Townie cred.

Kalor, but that's because I don't think I'm understanding what he meant by the 'timing in which QB made his joke' and why that was Scummy. Can you explain please. :x

I mentioned the timing as making a joke like that seems like something you might do right at the start of the first day in your first post or two, not six hours into it and on your fourth post. It's a weak point but I mainly wanted to say something else about it beyond not liking the joke.

Top Bottom