• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Kojima Productions Reveal in Three Days?

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Wait, so the 5 countdowns end during the time of the MS conference? At most a new multiplatform game. If Kojima betrays Sony fans with an exclusive of any sort, we would see the biggest meltdowns ever.

godhandiscen said:
Wait, so the 5 countdowns end during the time of the MS conference? At most a new multiplatform game. If Kojima betrays Sony fans with an exclusive of any sort, we would see the biggest meltdowns ever.

What? You didn't know about FF13? :p

godhandiscen said:
No, the last frame will appear on June 1 in Japan, but May 31 in America. What to expect of this final frame is a source of speculation.

godhandiscen

ChackanKun said:
What? You didn't know about FF13? :p
Whatever it is, the dissapointment of Xbots after such a huge tease, or a betralyaton on Sony, I just want to see something like last year. :D
flabberghastly said:
No, the last frame will appear on June 1 in Japan, but May 31 in America. What to expect of this final frame is a source of speculation.
According to Kotaku it is during the MS conference.
http://kotaku.com/5258935/kojima-takes-countdown-clocks-to-their-absurd-conclusion
I wouldn't be surprised if they are wrong though.

Considering they have their engine running on PS3 already and that MGS4 was a huge success, it's far fetched to think a next Metal Gear will not be on PS3, at least as a multiplatform game. Actually, chances are that it will be exclusive to once PS3 again, just like the last three MGS games have been exclusive to PS platforms.

As for a MGS4 360 port, Kojima Productions wouldn't be handling it. Not that there should really be any hopes about that anyway.

godhandiscen said:
According to Kotaku it is during the MS conference.
http://kotaku.com/5258935/kojima-takes-countdown-clocks-to-their-absurd-conclusion
I wouldn't be surprised if they are wrong though.
They're simply ignoring the time difference between Japan and America. To put this in perspective, this update to the site was made on 5/18 (according to the ad in Famitsu, the code in the .swf file, etc), but it occurred on 5/17 for those of us in America. The same will happen with the final frame: it will appear on 6/1 for the Japanese and 5/31 for the Americans.

godhandiscen said:
Whatever it is, the dissapointment of Xbots after such a huge tease, or a betralyaton on Sony, I just want to see something like last year. :D

So you're more excited about reactions to games than the actual games?

godhandiscen

SolidSnakex said:
Yes. I only visit this site for that sole reason, and the occasional thread about one or another PC game I might enjoy. The personalities in this site are pure entertainment.

pswii60

SolidSnakex said:
This is GAF. If people here were so excited about the actual games, they'd be playing them instead of posting on here.

FabCam

I think it's more likely to be a PSP/DS /iPhone/Wii game than a 360/PS3 game. It took 5 (?) years to make MGS4 which came out less than a year ago. So this game would either be extremely early or an MGS on a smaller scale (eg. DS/PSP).

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
John_B said:
In the newer games, yes. I'm not so sure about MGS2. It would be nice if someone could check.

Rounded.

Edit: But so are the numbers! >_<
Except 4

MGSLogos.png

decon

Hoping for a new version of MGS4 as with MGS2 and 3. Hopefully it will be multiplatform (not that I care much, I own both systems but the more money Kojima gets the better!) :)

lherre

Accurate
FabCam said:
I think it's more likely to be a PSP/DS /iPhone/Wii game than a 360/PS3 game. It took 5 (?) years to make MGS4 which came out less than a year ago. So this game would either be extremely early or an MGS on a smaller scale (eg. DS/PSP).

Well you have to count the time to develop the mgs4 engine and the ps3 hardware research.

FabCam said:
MGS4 was shown 2 1/2 years before it released. Even if MGS5 is revealed, it probably won't be in our consoles for a while yet.

Domino Theory said:
The countdown's 5 is different from the "5" we see in the background. It has to be an S because the 5s we saw in the countdown have curves. The big one in the background doesn't. It's an S.

Take a look for yourself.

They're two different fonts. The font used in the countdown is new and so it's irrelevant. The font in the background looks like the one used in MG games and materials.

In MG Acid, The S in that set of fonts has a tiny curve at the top left corner, while the 5 in that font is made up of 6 lines instead of 5. So really it could be anything. They don't seem to have any consistency.

panda21

so has anyone actually answered the question of what is happening at E3 on the day that this finishes? (other than the MS conference, BACK OFF XBOTS! :lol)

is there some kind of konami thing perchance?

edit: wait a minute, it finishes on august31st/june 1st, and e3 starts on jnue 2nd? how is this the ms conference at e3?

flabberghastly said:
MGS4 was shown 2 1/2 years before it released. Even if MGS5 is revealed, it probably won't be in our consoles for a while yet.

MGS4 is a leviathan and they had to build a PS3 engine to make it run. They aren't starting from scratch now and it's likely that a new MG game will be more about gameplay than storytelling, in the sense that MGS4 wraps up the storylines of 6 games prior to it and a new game probably won't need to feature a massive amount of storytelling. It was a worldwide release too, unlike previous games.

My point being that there are chances that it will take about a year less to develop than MGS4.

panda21 said:
edit: wait a minute, it finishes on august31st/june 1st, and e3 starts on jnue 2nd? how is this the ms conference at e3?

That's how it's always been. they're usually do them 1-2 days before or on the first day.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
MGS1 - released 1998
MGS2 - released 2001 (Substance was released 2003)
MGS3 - released 2004 (Subsistance was releasd 2006)
MGS4 - released 2008

Three years between each of the first three games in the Solid series. Four years before MGS4 was released. I'd say 2011 would be a good bet for MGS5, if it's announced this year.

StarEye said:
MGS1 - released 1998
MGS4 - released 2008

Three years between each of the first three games in the Solid series. Four years before MGS4 was released. I'd say 2011 would be a good bet for MGS5, if it's announced this year.

Integral, Substance and Subsistence were all released a year after the original game.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not according to my game boxes they weren't. Although I used the PAL versions as reference points. The release years for the PAL versions of all the original MGS games are correct.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
smell like MGS5

but dunno about that , I thought Kojima as any good game designer want to try new stuff , but I understand that completely , Konami need MGS sales .

StarEye said:
Not according to my game boxes they weren't. Although I used the PAL versions as reference points. The release years for the PAL versions of all the original MGS games are correct.

I'm talking about their Japanese releases. That goes for Integral and Subsistence, Substance came out in the US first because it was released on the Xbox, but was never released in Japan for it.

Busty

Banned
Can someone, anyone, tell me what the fuck is going in here? Are people reading far too much into this or is this counter running down to the MS conference at E3?

I appreciate that the E3 madness has begun (and I'm as guilty as anyone) but can someone shine a lone ray of sensible light from the lighthouse of common sense to guide me though this GAF madness fog?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Busty said:
Can someone, anyone, tell me what the fuck is going in here? Are people reading far too much into this or is this counter running down to the MS conference at E3?

I appreciate that the E3 madness has begun (and I'm as guilty as anyone) but can someone shine a lone ray of sensible light from the lighthouse of common sense to guide me though this GAF madness fog?
there was a picture of some lightning, clouds, a sun, an exclamation point, and the number 5.

You do the math. =p

Lightning = Raiden, Sun = Sunny, Exclamtion Point = Metal Gear, 5 = MGS5

I'm a super smart detective, me.

yurinka

SolidSnakex said:
Integral, Substance and Subsistence were all released a year after the original game.
So I think the announcement will be this MGS4 Update, let's say MGS4 Subsistence.

MGS is the last big third party exclusive of Sony, and MS typically shows a former big Sony 3rd party exclusive as main announcement in their E3 every year.

I think MS will pay the port of this game / upgrade to make it 360 exclusive (I doubt it) or multiplatform.

It looks like it will be MGS5, but I think it's too early to announce or to show something about it.

-Winnie-

Totobeni said:
smell like MGS5

but dunno about that , I thought Kojima as any good game designer want to try new stuff , but I understand that completely , Konami need MGS sales .

The most of the MGS4 team will probably work on MGS5, while Kojima and the rest of KP work on that rumoured FPS.

flabberghastly said:
The time between MGS2:Substance and MGS3 was 2 years. I would expect a time difference similar to that.

Kibbles

Wait, wtf... so we got a tease, of a tease, of a tease of an announcement? :lol First it was Friday, then Monday, now June 1st? Ay.

Also if Domino is right about that being a "S" in the background, could this mean MGS4: Subsistence, maybe multiplat.

yurinka said:
So I think the announcement will be this MGS4 Update, let's say MGS4 Subsistence.

MGS is the last big third party exclusive of Sony, and MS typically shows a former big Sony 3rd party exclusive as main announcement in their E3 every year.

I think MS will pay the port of this game / upgrade to make it 360 exclusive (I doubt it) or multiplatform.

It looks like it will be MGS5, but I think it's too early to announce or to show something about it.
Maybe Kojima/Payton lied, but they said that there would be no "S" version of the game since they released the special edition alongside the normal edition. I think as time goes by Kojima is clearly showing is dislike for dwelling on old projects, otherwise we would have already seen at the very least Snatcher, Policenauts and MG1/2 come to XBLA/PSN. And the rest of Konami is probably too inept to realize that (really should be someone other than Kojima who does those ports, let Kojima work on new games).

StarEye said:
MGS1 - released 1998
MGS4 - released 2008

Nov 2004 -> June 2008 makes it about 3 and a half years between MGS3 and MGS4.

Holy fuck if that isnt a 5. How are you even debating it? This is Metal Gear for sure. But with different, mind-blowing art direction that looks so arty and ethereal like Shadow of The Colossus or something. The gameplay is just going to be insane. I am so pumped words cant express.

yurinka said:

No way they're putting all this teasing behind a platform port or a game enhancement, and no way they'd call it "Kojima's Next Project". It's something bigger for sure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
For that reason there will be no big videos in MGS5, since they wont fit on a DVD
The majority of cutscenes in MGS4 were realtime, not videos (there were just two real exceptions to this). The cutscenes didn't really chew up all of the space on the disc (though I suppose the audio tracks were pretty large).

so the countdown clock is set to restart five times, right? i don't see what the confusion is. when the first timer reaches 0 the background number (it's a 5) will tick down to 4 and the next will start, until it reaches 0.

is that not what's going on?

dark10x said:
The majority of cutscenes in MGS4 were realtime, not videos (there were just two real exceptions to this). The cutscenes didn't really chew up all of the space on the disc (though I suppose the audio tracks were pretty large).
Yeah, the audio was overkill, the game was 7.1 uncompressed I think. That alone probably took most of the bluray.

wRATH2x

Banned
Like I said, expect disappointment. There was no way in hell this would be announced so close to E3 without actually being at E3. So the trend of announcing announcements continues.

Top Bottom