• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Pokemon Sun and Moon Mascost Leaked Through Trademarks

Kansoku

digimonduskdawn.jpg

From Digimon Dawn and Dusk if someone doesn't know.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
So here's the other "leaked" names, though Joe hasnt confirmed them so take them with a grain of salt.
They're likely the 3 starters and the 3rd legendary.
It seems like we're getting a Grass Owl, a Fire Cat, possibly Tiger, and a Water Seal.
Again, take with a grain of salt.

Kinsei

Banned
So here's the other "leaked" names, though Joe hasnt confirmed them so take them with a grain of salt.

It seems like we're getting a Grass Owl, a Fire Cat, possibly Tiger, and a Water Seal.

If that's true then it will be very difficult for me to pick my starter (assuming the cat stay quadrupedal). All three sound amazing.

YAWN

If that's true then it will be very difficult for me to pick my starter (assuming the cat stay quadrupedal). All three sound amazing.
Same, I love all 3 in real life. I may like seals a tiny bit more but will have to see their designs if it turns out to be true.

Cactowl lives?

I can't believe it. I don't want to get hurt again.
I know the pain man, I loved that thing. The "Moku" in its name seems to refer to wood though, so it could be a very different design than are beloved fake cactus bird. Should be interesting.

There needs to be more quadrapedal starters. Torterra was a badass, and both Emboar and Delphox suffered from being forced onto two legs. I need a fire type quadraped

Really hope it will not be some terrible Pokemon designs again.

The first generations were just the best. Later generations Pokemon became some random monsters or random objects like a freaking ice cream like wtf.

Plz go back to the roots of simple animal designs without going crazy gamefreak.

Kinsei

Banned

The first generations were just the best. Later generations Pokemon became some random monsters or random objects like a freaking ice cream like wtf.

Plz go back to the roots to simple animal design without going crazy gamefreak.

Yeah those stupid random objects like magnets and balls. Oh wait, those were gen 1.

Plz go back to the roots of simple animal designs without going crazy gamefreak.

My god stop with this shit.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Not this shit again.

YAWN

That rose tint.

They always have the names of all legendaries be the same in all regions though. It's usually the pronunciation that is different (Rayquaza vs. Ray"kuu"za or Arkeus vs. Arceus, former because of Japanese pronunciations (see triceratops becoming "trikeratops") and latter because English being weird).
The birds of Gen I have completely different names between the west and Japan.
Also most recently we have Magiana/Magearna.

Please, I can't take this being fake again.

Yrael

If there is truly a tiger starter and a lion legendary, I think this generation may well become my favourite.

(Buuuut I am still taking that with a large amount of salt. Even if the trademarked Pokemon names are authentic they could wind up having completely different designs from our expectations.)

I just miss the days when Legendaries were special.

And no. I'm not one of those guys that think Pokemon was at its best in the old days. Sometimes I just feel like.... the last good stories involving Legendaries were Giratina, Reshiram and Zekrom.

Reshiram and Zekrom were literally on the games before X&Y. Are you sure your problem with legendaries begins and ends with Xerneas and Yvetal? It's a very common consensus that X&Y had phoned in the writing after the well developed B&W and B2&W2.

Yeah! I miss the classics like "Some eggs with faces."

Really? My bad. The Gen I birds are still completely different.
I would say 1st gen was different, since this was before the games were planned out to take the global market into account (and because Freezer, Thunder, and Fire are terrible names in English) - after 1st, they implemented a policy to keep the legendary names as close to consistent worldwide as possible, with priority on the box legends.

GoldStarz

I think Nyabby is Nya + Tabby rather than Nya + Abbey

funny-espurr-picture-nope-angry.gif

Joqu

this is satire right?

I would say 1st gen was different, since this was before the games were planned out to take the global market into account (and because Freezer, Thunder, and Fire are terrible names in English) - after 1st, they implemented a policy to keep the legendary names as close to consistent worldwide as possible, with priority on the box legends.
True enough- with the exception of Azelf, because Agnome would have been a bloody stupid name for the West, and Thundurus, because Voltolos doesn't scan as well.

There are undoubtedly disparities between the design philosophies used at the origins of the franchise and now, but I'm not sure that your conclusions about them are sound- as others have pointed out, more fantastical designs and Pokémon designed around inanimate objects existed alongside more naturalistic concepts right at the beginning of the series.

Daft Punk

Banned
Yeah those stupid random objects like magnets and balls. Oh wait, those were gen 1.

JebaćBiedę;201445726 said:
My god stop with this shit.

Not this shit again.

That rose tint.

Yeah! I miss the classics like "Some eggs with faces."

Let's not be naive folks. The original 151 had more imagination that some of the Pokemon we get nowadays. Greninja is probably one of the only well designed Pokemon I've seen in a long time that didn't seem like a retread of another Pokemon in the past.

Let's not be naive folks. The original 151 had more imagination that some of the Pokemon we get nowadays. Greninja is probably one of the only well designed Pokemon I've seen in a long time that didn't seem like a retread of another Pokemon in the past.
In fairness, the original poster isn't decrying modern designs for being unimaginative, he's saying that they're based around more monstrous or inanimate archetypes. Attempting to counter that by pointing out that it was always thus isn't a bad start for a debate.

Your point about how inspired Pokémon designs are is an entirely subjective one- from my perspective, the past two generations of Pokémon are cumulatively the apex of the series in terms of design and inspiration. Takes all sorts!

You know you sound like a complete joke to everyone in this thread right?

Red Fire

Except for a majority of Gen 5, i don't agree at all. Pokemon look as good as ever.

YAWN

Let's not be naive folks. The original 151 had more imagination that some of the Pokemon we get nowadays.

No, they didn't. In fact I'd be inclined to say Gen 1's Pokemon are the least imaginative of the bunch. The majority are literally just real animals with a few spikes and different coloration. Tell me how something like Golbat is more imaginative than Noivern, please. Gen 6 has the best dex to date. The quality and care shows through each unique design. If its any indication to future instalments, this gens mons will be fantastic too.

GoldStarz

Are you referring to Gen V where literally the point was to make unique expies of older Pokemon?

Also more of those "imgainative" designs:
006MS.png

Fire Dragon
023MS.png

Backwards Snake
074MS.png

Rock with arms
081MS.png

Magnet
082MS.png

Magnet but x3 this time
086MS.png

Unicorn Seal
088MS.png

Your Waifu
089MS.png

And now it's bigger
098MS.png

A crab
100MS.png

Ball
101MS.png

And now it's upside down
102MS.png

Eggs, but maybe also coconuts?
116MS.png

Seahorse
132MS.png

Blobbity
149MS.png

Actual Dragon

Betty

Banned
Are you referring to Gen V where literally the point was to make unique expies of older Pokemon?

Also more of those "imgainative" designs:
006MS.png

Fire Dragon
023MS.png

Backwards Snake
074MS.png

Rock with arms
081MS.png

Magnet
082MS.png

Magnet but x3 this time
086MS.png

Unicorn Seal
088MS.png

Your Waifu
089MS.png

And now it's bigger
098MS.png

A crab
100MS.png

Ball
101MS.png

And now it's upside down
102MS.png

Eggs, but maybe also coconuts?
116MS.png

Seahorse
132MS.png

Blobbity
149MS.png

Actual Dragon

Still iconic, still awesome, still better than a lot of other designs.

ash_ag

BJipopC.png

I wonder how many fans will sit out Sun & Moon, waiting for a "Pokémon Mars" that will never come. :p

oh no not this crap again all gen's are awesome

Top Bottom