• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Pokemon Sun and Moon Mascost Leaked Through Trademarks

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Solgaleo could also be a broken reference to Galileo Galilei which was Italian and the names also work perfectly in Italian
Luna=Moon
Ala=Wing
Sole=Sun
But weren't there hints that the region was based on China?

Also Magearna is an Italian sounding name too, plus in the movie its creator seems to resemble Da Vinci.

But then again Black and White took place in New York and its mascots were Yin-Yang Dragons

Strimei

Also Magearna is an Italian sounding name too, plus in the movie its creator seems to resemble Da Vinci.

But then again Black and White took place in New York and its mascots were Yin-Yang Dragons

What are you talking about, we got yin-yang out the wing-wang here.

Now eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

Crayolan

The hell is up with that moon mascot name? Looks like it'd be romanized to Lunaaar or Lunauar or something else which somehow manages to sound worse than Xerneas and Yveltal.

Azuran

Banned
??? Xerneas was a deer.... similar to those deer Legendary from Unova. Yveltal is a bird.... she's not even as special as Lugia or Zapdos. My main grips with X/Y was the story. Player customization was amazing.

Xerneas and Yveltal were not just a deer and a bird. They're both based on Norse mythology with Xerneas and Yveltal representing Eikþyrnir and Hræsvelgr respectivly. Furthermore, Zygarde is based on Jörmungandr.

Zapdos on the other hand is just an electric bird with no lore behind it. Even its Japanese name is generic as hell.

UberLevi

Pic of the mascots.

mobile-thumb.jpg

fisheyes

I've heard Spain and Hawaii but China is a first

Might be thinking of Singapore. I'm pretty sure the only 'evidence' so far for anything is:

Spain - the fact Southern Kalos is mentioned in XY, so we're assuming it means Spain, and now the Spanish in the legendary names. All of this could work for Italy I guess too.

Hawaii - Rainbow licence plates, the fire truck is yellow like Hawaiian ones, the palm trees near the hotel in one shot, the in progress Pokemon appears similar to a bird that lives in Hawaii apparently

Singapore - the aforementioned hotel appears to be based on one in Singapore.

Nothing particularly convincing there.

GoldStarz

AH now that you mention it, I do remember the really early Singapore hypotheses, but I figured most people had turned over to the main two guesses.

This is what I am currently assuming, though perhaps it won't be the full region of Kalos in the post game.

Even though this will officially be Gen 7, I'm kind of considering it a Gen 6.5 in this regard. Gen 6/7 will work together like Gen 2 worked with 1.

I don't really think you could call it Gen "6.5" in that regard. That'd be like calling Gen 2 "1.5".

If it's a new region that happens to be right next to the old one with all new Pokemon, it's a new Gen.

harmonize

Xerneas and Yveltal were not just a deer and a bird. They're both based on Norse mythology with Xerneas and Yveltal representing Eikþyrnir and Hræsvelgr respectivly. Furthermore, Zigarde is based on Jörmungandr.

Zapdos on the other hand is just an electric bird with no lore behind it. Even its Japanese name is generic as hell.
Zapdos is based of the Lakota tribe (and many other Indigenous American tribes) folklore of the thunderbird, the spiritual embodiment of thunder and rainstorms.

syeefoo

Neo Member
might be possible playing on some name from Astronomy?

ソルガレオ

ソル = sol > solar > sun
ガレ = Galle, Mars crater
レオ = Leo (lion), a constellation name

Hope Lunaala is an owl legendary. Would be awesome.

Doubt the sun lion will be cooler then Arcanine. And we already have a fire lion.

I just miss the days when Legendaries were special.

And no. I'm not one of those guys that think Pokemon was at its best in the old days. Sometimes I just feel like.... the last good stories involving Legendaries were Giratina, Reshiram and Zekrom.
I kinda agree with this. I'm tired of villian team X capturing the cover mascot and using its powers for evil. Xerneas and Yveltal felt so shoehorned into Team Flare's plans it's not even funny.

Coffinhal

They should have kept the announce for the E3 or whatever if they go on blackout until the next CoroCoro, which is coming in a month.

Both sound close to spanish, maybe the new region is based in Spain? (wich limits with France, giving a chance to revisit kalos)

Yep but the Kalos we visited was only Northern France, so they'd have to do the whole Spain + the whole Southern France, which must be as big as the North even in the Pokémon world. Maybe if they do Sun and Moon 2?

JoeM86

The interesting thing is that these trademarks weren't registered by the usual trio of Game Freak, Nintendo & Creatures Inc., but rather "Yusuke Inui"

It's giving me pause.

The only recent trademark by Game Freak is ギガレキ, which is just by Game Freak alone, not by all three.

I'm suspicious, but these discrepancies are making me not post them

ash_ag

That reminds me; are there any lion Pokemon? I can't think of any...

Entei, Litleo line, and partly the Growlithe and Shinx lines.

By the way, I wouldn't read too much on the names as far as the region goes. Legendaries (and particularly the mascots) can draw from mythologies completely unrelated to the region's base and usually combine elements from numerous sources. For example, Unova is based on New York / USA, but Reshiram and Zekrom combine the concept of Yin and Yang with essentially Celtic Dragon lore. Likewise, the Hoenn mascots take elements from Hebrew mythology in spite of Hoenn being based on Kyushu, Japan. And more recently, you have the France-based Kalos using mascots based on Norse mythology.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The first one will be a legendary Gelato Pokémon.

Good way of sticking it to all the Vanillish haters.

What if these aren't Pokemon, but ARE places? Like the names of islands and the games have completely different world maps with part of the plot dealing with the building of a bridge between the two that has awakened two very different legendary Pokemon with epic consequences? Just wondering...

Forkball

A sun lion? Pokemon once again ripping off Yokai Watch.

NhRtADo.jpg

Masuda has stated they try to keep the legendary names as close as possible across all regions, so the English name is probably very similar. The May CoroCoro better bring the goods after the tease last time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They always have the names of all legendaries be the same in all regions though. It's usually the pronunciation that is different (Rayquaza vs. Ray"kuu"za or Arkeus vs. Arceus, former because of Japanese pronunciations (see triceratops becoming "trikeratops") and latter because English being weird).

Top Bottom