• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a picture of the city you live in

Status
Not open for further replies.

SillyPuty

Rural Nebraska :D
27yvj8x.jpg

21bqk5j.jpg

2py943n.jpg

2topy.jpg

Fritz

LQX said:
And I don't feel a place has to be old to necessarily look good. The grass may look greener on the other side to some but not me. Some of these places that look like they were built for old people to retire to or sheep to graze on, does nothing for me as they look boring as hell.

Yet, Europe's also known for its unmatched nightlife. What you describe are my exact feelings towards Canada though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gothenburg, Sweden

gbg_6.jpg

gbg_7.jpg

gbg_1.jpg

gbg_2.jpg

gbg_8.jpg

Gothia_Towers.jpg

Opera House:
gothenburg_opera.jpeg

We've got trams!
tram.jpg

...and a downtown ferris wheel:
wheel_1.jpg

...and a large park in the middle of the city (this is just a tiny fraction of it):
slottskogen.jpg

...and the largest amusement park in Scandinavia. This wooden coaster is awesome:
balder.png

(Sorry about the image overload, but I figured not many people here have seen anything of Gothenburg before.)

ATF487

SomeDude said:
America is horrible. Terrible looking cities, horrific fast food restaurants, religious barbarism and rednecks/idiots with guns.

I've got to get out of here.
:lol

My problem with America doesn't lie with the cities, as the ones I've been to are all pretty good, but it's the suburbs. They're so boring, and around my area they only exist to give you a yard away from the city.

Looking at these European small towns, they have open air markets, and walkable downtown areas. I could probably still forego a car and take a bus/rail or something into a bigger city. It's funny, because one user said that Europe looks like a place to retire to, but have you seen suburban America?

HylianTom

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Gothenburg, Sweden

RoadHazard, I've never been there, but your home town is very high up on my wish list for traveling. Looks really nice, and if I ever had to move to Europe, it'd definitely be in my top 3 candidates.

Bleepey

Dabookerman said:
And this is why you love Hackney, and why I loathe it with a passion.

haha different strokes for diffferent folks. Have you left Hackney yet? i still find it funny you live like 2 minutes from me.

thespot84

Been in Denver/Boulder my entire life and absolutely love it.

Downtown:
Q-Denver-print_436520copy.jpg

2006-07-14-denver_skyline_midnight.jpg

Closeup:
downtown-denver-night.jpg

View from my house:
04rooftop.jpg

View from work (Boulder, sorry for the crappy phone pic):
1bff6090.jpg

GONz

Beijing, the Commies' capital!

Hopefully the cultural revolution didn't destroy everything...

The Great Wall that is not so far

2008 Olympic Stadium

Beijing becomes more and more modern tough

But still keeps some more quaint areas

Not pictured: crazy pollution (sometimes), crazy people, crazy food

Donos

I was born there (Havanna, Cuba)
Malecon-Havanna_jpg.jpg

then lived 20 years there ( Berlin City <3 )

35a838z.jpg

and now live here for my master degree (Stuttgart, Germany)

14vqx6r.jpg

Fritz

Hausmeister said:
Living in Tempelhof at the moment, but thinking about moving to Tiergarten. What about you?

Started off in Mitte, then moved to Friedrichshain and am now back in Mitte. Mitte is so freaking handy but its probably the most superficial part of the city. I'm working in Moabit and am surprised how nice it is over there

Donos

Fritz said:
Started off in Mitte, then moved to Friedrichshain and am now back in Mitte. Mitte is so freaking handy but its probably the most superficial part of the city. I'm working in Moabit and am surprised how nice it is over there

Friedrichshain is all i need. Everything is close from there.
Lived 16 years in Hohenschönhausen (yeah).

Fritz

Donos said:
Friedrichshain is all i need. Everything is close from there.
Lived 16 years in Hohenschönhausen (yeah).

I hope Berlin is hosting the ESC next year, its probably going to be Hamburg or Cologne though.

tak

thespot84 said:

View from work (Boulder, sorry for the crappy phone pic):
1bff6090.jpg
I thought I was the only person from Colorado on this board.

Donos

Fritz said:
I hope Berlin is hosting the ESC next year, its probably going to be Hamburg or Cologne though.

Me too. The new O2 Arena is the perfect place and Berlin is pushing hard to become germany's media location nr1.

Raist

Banned
Where the fuck is France-GAF? Seen a couple posts about Paris and that's it.

Anyways, I'll add Montpellier, France (I think there's a town called like that in the US too). Lived there for 2 years. It's rather small (about 300k inhabitants IIRC) and mostly packed with students as there's loads of good unis. Its med school is the oldest in France (12th century).

500x500_6c462f7374eb59506817d83fbadc62d6.jpg

montpellier2b.jpg

montpellier.jpg

la-faculte-de-medecine-1262681249-1656.jpg

(That's the med school. Complete with a cathedral and stuff).

Raist

Banned
Antakken said:
Oh collègue sudiste! I've posted some Nice (the city) pics a few pages ago :D

Oui et non. J'ai vécu dans le sud en majorité, mais je suis né a Lille :p

You're right, forgot about that post. Still, I thought that there was way more French people on GAF. Guess they live in shitty places, like Bordeaux :D

SomeDude

Banned
Raist said:

Anyways, I'll add Montpellier, France (I think there's a town called like that in the US too). Lived there for 2 years. It's rather small (about 300k inhabitants IIRC) and mostly packed with students as there's loads of good unis. Its med school is the oldest in France (12th century).

500x500_6c462f7374eb59506817d83fbadc62d6.jpg

montpellier2b.jpg

montpellier.jpg

la-faculte-de-medecine-1262681249-1656.jpg

(That's the med school. Complete with a cathedral and stuff).

France is probably the best looking europian country but the people are horrible.

I played golf today and although it was sunny but overcast and cold, the view from the third tee is one of my favourite pictures of Adelaide (South Australia):

GW787H456

View from the 3rd Tee, South Course, Adelaide Golf Links

Melville

Toulouse (France), aka the Pink City :D

toulouse-cedex-visiter-saint-sernin-toulouse.jpg

capitole%20toulouse.jpg

toulouse.jpg

Great place to live, especially when summer comes. Everything is pink/orange/red here.

Meadows

Banned
SomeDude said:
France is probably the best looking europian country but the people are horrible.

1) European
2) Maybe in Paris more than the rest of the country?
3) Way to generalise a 65,000,000 people, dick.

Arjen

thespot84 said:

I was in Denver about a week ago, really suprised me how cool that city was.
One of my favorite city's in the US so far.

G.O.O.

Maisons-Alfort, France. Paris' suburban area !

16ke4d2.jpg

2reo4kx.jpg

Meet my neighbor !

k36cds.jpg

Yeah, it's ugly as fuck :lol (and the smelling is awful, it's a baking powder factory)

My parents live in Paris though, in a really nice district. I visit them on weekends.

20qm0l3.jpg

21aahc2.jpg

jv6h44.jpg

jr5xkx.jpg

-viper-

Banned
Raist said:

Wow. Looks nice. Way better than any place in the UK. D:

Raist

Banned
-viper- said:
Wow. Looks nice. Way better than any place in the UK. D:

Heh. I think that France's biggest advantage is the diversity of its countrysides, and architecture.
It's especially striking for cities, since many of them look very much like cities of neighbouring countries. You can go anywhere from a popular, industrial-like UK look, to Spanish villas and stuff.
In that sense, it doesn't really have a proper identity, save maybe for stuff done by Vauban and Haussmann. But that's probably part of the reason why France is the #1 destination for tourism.

Salacious Crumb

It's pretty much accepted by everyone that the french are arrogant and pretentious, even the french accept it, and indulge in it, just watch some french movies.

dpfhp3.jpg
Miami beach

Wow some of you guys live in great cities. gave me ideas on where to travel next year. Man, looking at some of the pics posted american cites seem to be too industrialized and less picturesque when compared to the other world cities.

mYm|17|

SomeDude said:
America is horrible. Terrible looking cities, horrific fast food restaurants, religious barbarism and rednecks/idiots with guns.

I've got to get out of here.

I'm sure nobody will mind you leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom