• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post a picture of the city you live in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

EvilMario said:
That's just the tourist area. Show us the REAL Niagara Falls!

Niagara Falls, Ontario.. is a pretty nice town.. nothing like Niagara Falls, New York.. which is basically one nice park and a bunch of buildings falling apart.

Niagara Falls sucks trust me and good luck finding alot of pictures that aren't of the tourist area its funny when you come into Niagara as a tourist they pretty much funnel you to stay in that area while the rest of the town goes down.

Alot of these places in europe look amazing id love to live in some of these places I applied for some game studios over in the UK and france so we will see what happens.Like the architecture and design is just amazing I always find it fascinating then you got to alot of canadian and US places and its all just so boring and the same.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
A ha! I knew there were gaffers in Colorado!

carnefrisca

Neo Member
Bari, Italy
21691891.jpg

15884377.jpg

Lecce-Salento,Italy
foto_puglia_010_Lecce_Chiesa_S_Croce.jpg

salento.jpg

ARC_Faro-di-Otranto.jpg

ATF487

Cmagus said:
Alot of these places in europe look amazing id love to live in some of these places I applied for some game studios over in the UK and france so we will see what happens.Like the architecture and design is just amazing I always find it fascinating then you got to alot of canadian and US places and its all just so boring and the same.

Not only is there really cool architecture, but I feel like small European towns have more amenities. Like public transport in the US is usually only used to get from a suburb to the city and then back, but I've been looking into studying abroad at some universities in the UK, and pretty much every small town has their own bus system. In the US we usually get shuttles but a lot of them don't replace a car.

But there are probably some Europeans that would kill to live in NYC, so I dunno. But I really think I'd love to live in England/Scotland or Germany/France/Netherlands

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Philippines, Muntinlupa City:

477749263_9ab596730d.jpg

Here'a a sample of a regular house in my village:

10097-13-zylmd.jpg

verbum

Downtown on the Savannah River:
augusta.jpg

National Golf Course where the Masters Tournament is played:
Augusta.gif

The Augusta Canal, about 1/4 mile from downtown:
on%20the%20canal%205.jpg

Broad Street downtown:
rockbottommusic_augusta_ga_broad_at_8th_street.jpg

The Children's Medical Center at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital and Clinics, where I work:
CMC.jpg

jamaniek

xelios said:
That's not an actual photo is it? Looks like art/video game. (Beautiful nonetheless)
It is actual photo presumably with some HDR effects. It's the best downtown view that I found.

Krelian

Frankfurt am Main, Germany:

2mwzcck.jpg

Blablurn said:
Gummersbach / Germany
No fucking way, man. I'm originally from Engelskirchen, like right around the corner :lol

2w20my1.jpg

This is it. Sorry about the shitty quality. It's really difficult to find good pictures of Engelskirchen. But there's really not much to see anyway. Population around 20,000.

Laughing Banana said:
I bet none of you have ever heard of this place, ever (GASP! Not in Europe or US! :lol )

Bandung:
I have. Haven't been there yet, but would like to visit the place.

State-Park.jpg

Grand Haven, Michigan, USA

Not really any pics on google but this pretty much sums it up.
-smallish city on Lake Michigan, awesome in the summer, but a lot of tourists
-according to wikipedia: 11,000 pop. city and 260,000 pop. metro
-kind of a commuter town, real nice place to live and 20-50 minutes drive to bigger cities, hence why the city pop is so small but everyone lives in the surrounding township area

GQman2121

Banned
Baltimore Maryland

baltimore.jpg

2147392158_6b3ce8aba0.jpg

2146593759_e902644c68.jpg

2146607683_714527dbeb.jpg

My street in Federal Hill leading to M&T Bank Stadium.

3311776740_7032386da2.jpg

These shots are all in and around the downtown area. I live south of the harbor--however, if you go two miles east or west, much of the city looks like this.......

4032611345_8b30bbe1b8.jpg

Dortmund, Germany:

Rwe_tower_025.jpg

800px-Dortmund_Nordmarkt_Wochenmarkt.jpg

Post-Industrial city with a lot of really ugly and even more nice places. Love it here despite the darker corners.
(But I really envy some gaffers for their beautiful landscape and nature.)

LQX

Trent Strong said:
Jeez, does Europe GAF outnumber American GAF, or are Europeans just more likely to post pictures on this thread?
I was thinking the same thing but then again many might just not want where they live to be criticized. Looking through the thread only American pictures are being scrutinized and being called ugly but that's also a theme for all these threads as if its us vs them.

Also, I do kind of think Europeans or more likely to go crazier in threads of this type. Just look at the sports moments, food from where you live, and now this one. They sway Euro.

Norfair

BobDylan said:
I live in a chicago suburb so nothing great to look at. most famous part of our town is fermi lab
fnal-1.jpg

Oh come now, you also have Two Brother's Brewing right next to fermi lab.

SomeDude said:
Why is it that american cities look so horrible? Lack of imagination?

Fuck you mang.

GQman2121 said:
Baltimore Maryland

These shots are all in and around the downtown area. I live south of the harbor--however, if you go two miles east or west, much of the city looks like this.......

Wow, Bodymore Murderland looks a lot better in those pics than on The Wire.

Kansas City, MO

The big building in the foreground is Union Station and is currently a science museum of sorts and is also connected to Crown Center through sky bridges.

2wdc612.jpg

The following is Wesport, a cool area filled with Bars. It's got a college town vibe to it. This particular picture is taken from McCoy's Grill and Bar, it also has a Cigar room. Their food is okay but their Beer cocktails are amazing. To the left in the picture is a place called Jerusalem Cafe, where they have a Hookah bar upstairs and they also serve traditional middle eastern dishes. Delicious!

20j0a9u.jpg

The Plaza is next
This is probably the most beautiful part of Kansas City and contains most of it's fountains. For those people outside of the KC area, Kansas City is known as the city of fountains!

2dmf3fq.jpg

Not far from the Plaza is the Nelson Atkins Museum our local art museum. Not pictured is their recently added modern art museum which is off to the right.

sfbiaa.jpg

The Truman Sports Complex
This is where the Kansas City Royals and the Kansas City Chiefs reside. It's also not located in Kansas City proper sitting about 15 miles outside of the city.

1ovecp.jpg

Finally the most important landmark in all of Kansas City, yes sports snobs even more important than the Truman Sport Complex. Arthur Bryants the best BBQ you will ever have. I was just there on Sunday. No matter how crappy my day or week is... Arthur Bryants puts a giant smile on my face.

jt7z9e.jpg

i4jyc6.jpg

The sandwich above needs to be smothered in their spicy BBQ sauce!

Danielsan

Lots of fellow Dutchies in this thread.
Also a ton of gorgeous towns.

This is the shit hole I live in (Den Helder - The Netherlands):

243iv81.jpg

2nvar05.jpg

287kdid.jpg

PersonaX

Danielsan said:
Lots of fellow Dutchies in this thread.
Also a ton of gorgeous towns.

This is the shit hole I live in (Den Helder - The Netherlands):

Kidding? That looks a lot better than the place where i live...Cute houses, sea and all.

caramac

Thought this maybe of interest.... Chesterfield UK about 12 miles from where l live....complete with crooked spire..

zmntw7.jpg

Bit more info...

Crooked Spire Chesterfield
Chesterfield's famous `Crooked Spire' is said to be Derbyshire's most well known visible landmark.

Details:
The spire rises to a height of 70m (228'). It is both twisted and leaning, twisting 45 degrees and leaning 2.89m (9'6") from its true centre. The leaning characteristic is believed to be the result of the absence of skilled craftsmen (the Black Death had been gone only twelve years prior to the spire's completion), insufficient cross-bracing, and the use of unseasoned timber.

There have been other explanations: one is that the spire was so shocked to learn of the marriage of a virgin in the church that it bent down to get a closer look. Should that happen again, it is said that the spire will straighten and return to its true position.:lol Another is that a Bolsover blacksmith mis-shod the Devil, who leaped over the spire in pain, knocking it out of shape.

However it is now believed that the bend began when the original wooden roof tiles were replaced by heavier slate and lead. The bend in the spire (the twist being deliberate) follows the direction of the sun and has been caused by heat expansion and a weight it was never designed for. There is also no record of a bend until after the slate change. An interesting point is that the spire is not attached to the church building but is kept on by its own weight.

Meadows

Banned
LQX said:
I was thinking the same thing but then again many might just not want where they live to be criticized. Looking through the thread only American pictures are being scrutinized and being called ugly but that's also a theme for all these threads as if its us vs them.

OMG look at this place in midwestern America I come from!!! It is less than 40 years old and has a generic mall and a parking lot!!!! European cities are historical and beautiful. Most American cities are boring and generic. (Although NYC, SF, Chicago, Vancouver etc are amazing!)

SomeDude

Banned
America needs to start making cities that look like the one found int he movie A.I. or maybe something like esthar from FF8.

Altenburg, Germany

It's a small town, over 1000 years old, with a big castle in the city center.
I currently live next to that market place on the second pic.

icjy38.jpg

1yq1x4.jpg

14xzf4i.jpg

2nsumxd.jpg

bolbronx

SmokyDave said:
It's making me want to move to a different part of Europe. Some of these Northern European towns look like they're straight from a Hans Christian Andersen tale.

My cue, i guess.

Odense, Denmark (The birthplace of H.C Andersen, and we wont make you forget it)

The house of H.C Andersen (apparently theres some doubts about that, since he himself claimed he was born another place in Odense. But the city bought it and made it the official birthing place and a museum, so the...nah, whatever)
9e9f23db.jpg

1d0b3d6b.jpg

04efb34c.jpg

This is supposed to be a sculpture based on the fairytale The Darning-Needle, but...yeah

a4d17402.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom