• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post real things that look futuristic

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Guggenheim-bilbao-jan05.jpg

Guggenheim museum in Bilbo (looks pretty ugly to me honestly)

The giant spider in front doesn't help either.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
terrisus said:
To be fair there's no steep cut-off there (like with most infinity pools, it's an illusion) - but it does look cool even when you swim in it.

On topic though:
416px-Sandcrawler_Building_Lucasfilm.jpg

101340351-SandCrawler_Aerial_CC_300DPI.530x298.jpg

Lucas may not be a great script writer - but he left an interesting legacy :)

nOoblet16

What about the Mercedes-Benz BIOME ?
Mercedes-Benz-Biome.jpg

mercedes-benz-biome-concept-car-04.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Biome-Concept_05.jpg

unveiled at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November 2010. Here's how the official press release described the vehicle: "The Mercedes-Benz BIOME grows in a completely organic environment from seeds sown in a nursery. Out on the road the car emits pure oxygen, and at the end of its lifespan it can be simply composted or used as building material."
Ughhhhhhhhhhh...... SCIENCE!
How does the wheel work? It seems to be completely covered and if not then the cover is very close to the ground.

EDIT: Ok I see how it works now the cover only looks like it's covering entirely. Still it's very close to the ground.

Strikerrr

Banned
Always liked the XM8. Too bad they went with the Scar

The XM8 had the tendency to melt in the heat so I'd say that's a good thing. Special Operations forces ended up sticking with the M4A1 or the HK416 anyways for their 5.56 weapons. SCAR-H is used as a 7.62 Battle Rifle.

Anyways have some armor:
93887ff27a0cfd87ce8e6e2586f0e411c7202484.jpeg

PL-01 Polish Concept
6oh5.jpg

BMPT-72 "Terminator" Tank Support Vehicle

Woorloog

Banned
The XM8 had the tendency to melt in the heat so I'd say that's a good thing. Special Operations forces ended up sticking with the M4A1 or the HK416 anyways for their 5.56 weapons. SCAR-H is used as a 7.62 Battle Rifle.

IIRC Malaysian special forces... or was it Indonesian? Ah, well some place bought XM8s for their special forces, so presumably the issue has been solved.

Ecto311

Used to drive those at my last job. Ill see if i have any pictures from the inside of the cab. New guys would shit their pants when we would have to go backward up a hill with a full load. Dumping it the ass end would come off the ground till we let it down a bit and start rolling away from the clinker we were hauling. Never bothered me but the new people especially kids outta school would almost never make it past a few days because you are looking straight down out of the cab waiting for the bed to lower - they were almost standing on the front window looking down.

The future is wearable!

For us dystopia-dwelling civvies-

And for our corporate-sponsored overlords:

First pic is a kickass diving exo-suit specially designed for quite serious depth, it weighs 530 lbs/240 kg!

The soldiers in the second pic are wearing ballistic masks, the future faces of your friendly neighbourhood PMC enforcers

And, the soldiers in the third pic look like they're wearing the active-camouflage facial veil from Ghost in the Shell. :eek:

Grandi

Anyways have some armor:
93887ff27a0cfd87ce8e6e2586f0e411c7202484.jpeg

PL-01 Polish Concept

Here's a video of that PL-01 concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrDeqJPBNkk

It's based on the Swedish CV90 IFV-platform. The thermal camouflage-part is already real and functional, just crazy expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlLqdFsMnCE
cv90120adaptivearmour01.jpg

Serrato

g11proto5.jpg

The H&K G11 that never got out of experimental prototypes, even if it had better performances than the G3.

I think it had to do with the Caseless ammunition that wasn't like anything else at the time.

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.hkpro.com/image/g11proto5.jpg[IMG]

The H&K G11 that never got out of experimental prototypes, even if it had better performances than the G3.

I think it had to do with the Caseless ammunition that wasn't like anything else at the time.[/QUOTE]

The issue was, IIRC, the cost, the logistics (it was the only weapon using caseless ammo), electric firing system that required batteries, and some issues with the caseless ammo cooking off.

Rad-

The best thing about this is that his hand won't get cold or wet... well, it will, but it won't bother him.

How about modifying the hand so that it can keep the beer cold.

Or turn the hand to warm and you can do the stranger's hand.

Did I just become genius?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom