• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is why I'm still sad we never got the HBO adaptation, if I remember correctly the scripts that were turned in were very close to the source material. Then again HBO turned it down because of how controversial it would be and who knows, maybe budget was an issue as we know they're constantly having issues with it as GoT went on.

I also don't mind if there are changes and adaptations but I do worry that the show runners don't have as good a grasp on the characters and story as they say they do. We always hear about how much creators love the original source material and then get horribly butchered adaptations. As I said I'm holding my breath in hopes this is good but I'm nervous after seeing a bunch of arbitrary changes that will ruin moments down the line.

I have mixed feelings on adaptations. Sometimes I think they should be as 1:1 as possible. While others times it seems like a completely pointless endeavor to just recreate something that already works so well in the medium they were created in so it's almost a necessity to do something new with the property.

Preacher falls into the latter for me as it just lends itself so well to new and different events. The comic itself was such a bizarre and random roller coaster that it's not really important in my mind to stick to that exact path but more important to capture the spirit of it. The rest is rather malleable. It's a strength of the series and characters. Not a lot of series can be re-imagined and reshaped and still stay true to themselves. While it remains to be seen here, most previews seem extremely upbeat about it. Hopefully it will live up to that and maintain that quality throughout. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism though.

Also I'm glad the HBO version died. It was being helmed by Mark Steven Johnson who brought us such faithful and wondrous comic book films like Daredevil, Elektra and Ghost Rider...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have mixed feelings on adaptations. Sometimes I think they should be as 1:1 as possible. While others times it seems like a completely pointless endeavor to just recreate something that already works so well in the medium they were created in so it's almost a necessity to do something new with the property.

Preacher falls into the latter for me as it just lends itself so well to new and different events. The comic itself was such a bizarre and random roller coaster that it's not really important in my mind to stick to that exact path but more important to capture the spirit of it. The rest is rather malleable. It's a strength of the series and characters. Not a lot of series can be re-imagined and reshaped and still stay true to themselves. While it remains to be seen here, most previews seem extremely upbeat about it. Hopefully it will live up to that and maintain that quality throughout. Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism though.

Also I'm glad the HBO version died. It was being helmed by Mark Steven Johnson who brought us such faithful and wondrous comic book films like Daredevil, Elektra and Ghost Rider...

See what I'm worried about is the fact this is starting out so different than the comics that I wonder if it will actively continue along this route and not go to the lengths of the comic. I can see why they went the route they did and I'd actually be fine with this for a season but I worry we are going to get stuck in the town or that we are going to be saddled with a bunch of made up characters who are nowhere near as interesting as those in the original work, or just as bad cramming in characters from later story lines into the show to pad out the story of this "prequel" season while short changing the characters we all already love and want to see.

I'm not against change but I like changes that add to the product and don't detract and I've seen so many changes that don't even seem to have a basis in the story and characters or context of the world. A small example that ruins a big moment down the line is Cassidy not wearing his sunglasses constantly. Its a small thing but it kind of kills what I thought was a really good character beat for him down the line. Not that they can't do something similar but then again I ask why they didn't just stick with the original that worked so well?

If only HBO's Spawn adventure had panned out better, I'd have to imagine that would've been a far easier road to walk as far as the specter of "impossible comic adaptations" of all sorts these past many years the world over.

Why couldn't we just get some eccentric billionaire(s) that refused to let the world of no holds barred experimental OVA's and the like fade into the night at the foolish whims of the market on such a mild thing like commercial viability and threat of censors...

Siegcram

If only HBO's Spawn adventure had panned out better, I'd have to imagine that would've been a far easier road to walk as far as the specter of "impossible comic adaptations" of all sorts these past many years the world over.

Why couldn't we just get some eccentric billionaire(s) that refused to let the world of no holds barred experimental OVA's and the like fade into the night at the foolish whims of the market on such a mild thing like commercial viability and threat of censors...
An uncensored Preacher series would never happen on TV, not even on HBO. That's in the same realm as live-action Berserk. Just not feasible due to content and budget.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Mike Carey wrote it. So... ;)

He was. Character is a spin-off from Sandman but its very different. Mike Carey is an absolutely superb writer, especially when it comes to Magnificent Bastards.
Ah cool. Is it a finished series?

An uncensored Preacher series would never happen on TV, not even on HBO. That's in the same realm as live-action Berserk. Just not feasible due to content and budget.
What does budget have to do with censorship?

Beefy

Amazon (UK) picking this up is great. It seems they are fighting Sky big time. They get a few seasons earlier then Sky (Vikings and Black Flag etc) and have picked up Mr Robot and this and probably others.

That was why I mentioned Spawn though---had it "worked better" it would've at least had a better table set for comic adaptations of all sorts, animated and live action, to get situated at outright as a thing people can reckon as Okay To Be A Thing. Far as content goes outright, well, I'm not intimately familiar with Preacher's comic aside from hearing it high up there on the grotesque and anti-religious folks sensibilities angle from friends back in the day....but we are in a universe where Shojo Tsubaki was a thing that actually came to be, so the broad upper ceiling for Art of Depravity must be really damned high if you put your mind to it and throw the effort at it.

I just don't understand why HBO had to give up so damn easily after fumbling it one freaking time so long ago---as if they've not fumbled all kinds of other shows since then and kept right on going. After they did, all the other networks threw their hands up like it was a done deal and then there was nothing to be done until the movie revival started poking around and CN tired themselves of doing right by axing even "safe" and consistently great stuff like JL and whatnot.

- Matt Zoller Seitz's review for NY Mag
It’s not as great as you've heard, and sometimes, it's not even good. At times this sun-baked Western-noir-science fiction-supernatural drama feels less like a coherent story or statement than a tenuously connected assortment of setpieces, a treasure trove of raw material for YouTube clips and gifs. It takes spirituality and redemption seriously, and seems truly interested in questioning the Western code of righteous violence and purging toxic masculinity from the bloodstreams of many popular genres at once, but it's also infatuated with the cliches it scrutinizes. And it leans on gratuitous sadism and chop-chop-edited, TV-MA fights enough to give each episode regular adrenaline injections, on the off-chance you were tired of hearing characters work through their issues.

hollomat

Banned
There's no need for name-calling. It's absolutely okay to be wary of an adaptation when there has been precedent with mangled, poorly-written adaptations (TWD, GoT), and in this case, major characters like Herr Starr or the Saint of Killers have not even been cast (but other minor characters like Odin Quincannon have, plus new characters), and moreover, there has never been any major TV shows as "blasphemous" as the content of the original comic so the worries that it'll be toned down are not unwarranted.

But sure, I hear ya. Every time a critic voices an objection to adapted material it's invariably because they're a raging nerd who refuses to see a single word changed. Right...

Yup. Poorly written just like game of thrones and walking dead, the two most popular shows on television. You're an idiot.

hollomat

Banned
There's no need for name-calling. It's absolutely okay to be wary of an adaptation when there has been precedent with mangled, poorly-written adaptations (TWD, GoT), and in this case, major characters like Herr Starr or the Saint of Killers have not even been cast (but other minor characters like Odin Quincannon have, plus new characters), and moreover, there has never been any major TV shows as "blasphemous" as the content of the original comic so the worries that it'll be toned down are not unwarranted.

But sure, I hear ya. Every time a critic voices an objection to adapted material it's invariably because they're a raging nerd who refuses to see a single word changed. Right...

You said it here when you called out the toe popular shows on tv as poorly written garbage without saying anything to support that. You also called out Neil Gsikan and said he's written nothing enjoyable. You're clearly just arguing for the sake of arguing. If you want to be miserable just because things get popular go for it. I'll enjoy them.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You said it here when you called out the toe popular shows on tv as poorly written garbage without saying anything to support that. You also called out Neil Gsikan and said he's written nothing enjoyable. You're clearly just arguing for the sake of arguing. If you want to be miserable just because things get popular go for it. I'll enjoy them.
I said that these two shows are not well-written. Nowhere did I say that the reason for that was their popularity. My favourite shows are Breaking Bad and Firefly, for crying out loud.

Try again. This time I suggest you try arguing in good faith and without gratuitous insults (for which you ought to apologize, really).

TheOddOne

- IGN: Preacher: "Pilot" Review.
If you want a page-for-page, exact match adaption of Preacher, this isn’t it. But if you are open to seeing a different take on the same overall story, there’s a lot to love here. As gory as the Preacher pilot is, it probably will still have to hold back in a few places (even with just language alone, amongst other areas) that the comics went. But it still retains the spirit and attitude of the comic in a way that makes it feel like a very respectful interpretation of the source material.
- HitFix: 'Preacher' spoiler-free review with Alan Sepinwall and Roth Cornet.
- New York Times: ‘Preacher’: Hellfire, Brimstone and the Perverse.
- THR: How AMC's 'Preacher' Is Different From the Comics.
- Wrap: Seth Rogen’s Unbelievably Violent ‘Preacher': ‘No Line Show Won’t Cross,’ Star Says.

Rootbeer

Banned
So, with Game of Thrones, even though I'm on the West Coast I get to watch it at 6PM (9PM EST) thanks to the wonders of HBOGO and/or HBO East if you have that on your provider.

But how can I watch Preacher at 7PM instead of 10PM? it seems like amc.com only lets you live stream from your timezone.

Anyone have any advice on being able to do this tonight?

I can't watch it live in my timezone (10PM) due to my work schedule. It's either 7PM or I can't watch it until way later.

Possibly my favourite character in the whole series. With Herr Starr a close second, quite possibly just for the hilarity that ensues every time he met the members of Jesse's gang.

Dude the comic side story that was dedicated to him that followed his origin story was so fucking amazing.

Dude was so badass he literally froze hell with his anger, no souls could get in and he basically upset the balance of good vs evil and the universe. So what does God do? Makes him a Saint to killers, a Saint of All Killers. Heaven's hitman for hire. He's like a cowboy version of Nemesis and the Terminator.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dude the comic side story that was dedicated to him that followed his origin story was so fucking amazing.

Dude was so badass he literally froze hell with his anger, no souls could get in and he basically upset the balance of good vs evil and the universe. So what does God do? Makes him a Saint to killers, a Saint of All Killers. Heaven's hitman for hire. He's like a cowboy version of Nemesis and the Terminator.
Yeah he's my favourite too.
How can I not love the man who murders that piece of shit called "God"? <3

Zoe

I didn't realize in the previews that the lead was Howard Stark. I was expecting someone Hispanic :lol

And hey, it's Peter Pan!

Don't know the source at all. Hope they keep up this scale, I love that shit seems to be happening all over the place.

Oh yeah, the badass fight from the teasers.

Top Bottom