• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Flops of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vol5

What makes you say that? Anything you've noticed based on the videos that are out that this will not be well received?

Because Guerilla games are technically proficient but don't really produce the goods when it comes to cohesive story and world's. I've got a feeling there's something about the game that they haven't revealed yet that could kill it at launch, like not a true open world or something...All I know is every game I've ever played from guerilla have been seriously lacking in certain areas.

Nioh. Commercially, not critically. I think it will only appeal to fans of the souls series. (I already have it preordered)
This and Scalebound.

Anyone saying VII and Horizon are just trying to be psychic edge lords and should be forced to make their avatars Sephiroth fanart when they're proved wrong.

The Switch is going to flop /hypocrite

AHA-Lambda

Critically:
I don't feel it will review outright badly, but I feel Horizon will disappoint.
Certainly for me, nothing from what has been shown has been deserving of the hype it has so far received.

Commercially:
As OP stated, Agents of Mayhem and Scalebound.
In addition, Nier Automata and Crackdown 3 I feel will not sell well.

EDIT: I feel ME: Andromeda may disappoint some, in fears of it going in a DAI style direction.
Also, RE7 I don't think will sell well in comparison to recent mainline titles in the series.

jelly

I don't mind the look or idea for Scalebound but it looks absolutely shit to play so far.

Call of Duty, something has to give eventually. Unless they jump back to WWII or Modern Warfare, I think the appeal will fall off a cliff.

BriGuy

I think the new Zelda won't flop per se, but it will be pretty divisive and a lot of folk won't care for it.

Strazyplus

Scalebound:

051612.jpg

I know people are high on Platinum due to Nier right now, but I want to remind people this might be a stinker.

Personally I think just both reveals at Gamescom and E3 2016 have looked bad for this game. Despite Platinum looking like they are getting out of the rut they been having since the license games, I think this will just put them right back in after all the good will Nier seems to be doing.

It just looks boring and it just feel like it's missing something to me.

Despite Kamiya being at the helm, I don't feel anything for this title.

Plus Platinum curse.
Anything with dragons tend to have a curse too, I am still recoiling from Lair that was my first PS3 title.

Horizon Zero Dawn

Critically not commercially.

What I was thinking.

Microsoft's first party line up must be a tyre fire right now because we've not heard anything from the flagships they were touting at E3. Honestly think Crackdown and Scalebound will sell poorly, although they may be received well (I hope).

Might be jumping the gun with these as they only had closed alphas so far, we'll be a lot smarter around the betas. These are all MP-only titles.

Mirage: Arcane Warfare by the Chivalry devs as it stands now. It looks good actually, but there's barely any interest in it, which is never particularly good for an MP-only title. Chivalry 2 would have bigger interest for sure.

Amazon's debut game Breakaway. Again, barely any interest so far and it also looks messy. They have big twitch and esports aspirations, so again, that's not good.

Lawbreakers. Hohum alpha impressions, not much interest and published by Nexon. It not being F2P anymore might negate the last point actually, but what price will they decide on and how much content? Their marketing has also been pretty bad.

Constructive.

Maybe not, but it's probably true given Microsoft's first party track record. Old system sellers like Halo and Gears of War haven't been done that much justice, and the new IP, while certainly interesting, just haven't been very good. Quantum Break and ReCore were both critical failures, and I don't think they sold well either. Scalebound and that Pirate game from Rare look nice, but both have large margins for failure.

Microsoft really need to fix something with their first party devs. They either need new talent because their current devs aren't up to snuff or a new system because they're getting in the way.

Vuze

I'll follow some other posters and say For Honor.

I hope scalebound will be good, I find the setting / mix kinda neat. But I'll agree that the showings so far have been rather poor.

Nier: Automata, Gravity Rush 2, FFXII:TZA (the precious), and Persona 5 are my biggest 2017 worries sales wise. On the other hand, three are semi-niche titles and one is remaster, so outside of TZA, they probably just need to do better than their predecessors. I'd actually forgotten about Scalebound, but I hope it does well.

jelly

I think Crackdown might be a sleeper hit. It's not Saints Row Extreme but something more epic and offering a GTA hero feel.

Maybe not, but it's probably true given Microsoft's first party track record. Old system sellers like Halo and Gears of War haven't been done that much justice, and the new IP, while certainly interesting, just haven't been very good. Quantum Break and ReCore were both critical failures, and I don't think they sold well either. Scalebound and that Pirate game from Rare look nice, but both have large margins for failure.

Microsoft really need to fix something with their first party devs. They either need new talent because their current devs aren't up to snuff or a new system because they're getting in the way.

I don't know if I would call QB a critical failure, it reviewed pretty well.

im gonna say horizon is a possible flop. Some of the fights look too scripted, especially against the larger creatures. Auto-animated sequences for attacks, like when she slides under the big guy and time slows a bit...for her to take the underbelly shot. Those will get old fast if it's actually a long game and I could get bored with it sooner.

Yes. Everything looks graphically amazing and it's a beautiful world GG has created, but I'm worried. This went from a day one preordered purchase, to now waiting on reviews. It might even get relegated to my do not buy unless under thirty dollars list too.

Nier: Automata, Gravity Rush 2, FFXII:TZA (the precious), and Persona 5 are my biggest 2017 worries sales wise. On the other hand, three are semi-niche titles and one is remaster, so outside of TZA, they probably just need to do better than their predecessors. I'd actually forgotten about Scalebound, but I hope it does well.

That's what I'm thinking. I doubt games like Nier and Gravity Rush 2 were given massive Uncharted-like budgets, so they don't have to take over the world. I mean hell, Gravity Rush 1 is getting a sequel, and that wasn't a mega-seller.

I'm not too worried about them.

Persona 5 is the most likely to overwhelm, sales wise.

GR2 is a already a flop, FFXII will sell well enough. The latter will come to PC, so no worries.

NieR will flop. It's PG after all.

Elixist

i think scalebound will ultimately be a fun game, but its not a huge stretch to say it wont do great commercially.

lawbreakers, same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom