• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Flops of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I am looking forward to Scalebound, Horizon and Crackdown 3 but I am definitely worried for all 3 and would not be surprised at all if they end up being not very good or just decent.

blakep267

Can scalebound flop, if it's expected to flop? Think about it

You guys saying Horizon are crazy.

Even the non-hardcore crowd in my daily life (the destiny/cod/sports games crowd) are hyped for Horizon.

Scalebound will bomb though, 100%.
Don't think it will flop but it will do just okay. Not setting the world on fire or anything, just solid

Companies hire external reviewers that do non official reviews. That helps companies to gauge how good or bad it will be received.

Professional reviewers, not focus testing.

Edit: These threads end up being full of unwarranted negativity, makes me sad.

On mobile, go through his post history I guess.
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Am I losing something here? Literally everything they have been showing has been received with praise.
I agree the demos have been impressive but have a hard time believing Geurilla will suddenly be able to make a great game. I think the bland/repetitive open world missions will knock it down critically.

As for commercial success... I just don't think this game has the style to make it a hit. It may not 'flop' but it won't be a hit.

Expecting Scalebound to flop.

The demo from Nier Automata makes Scalebound look really bad when it comes to boss encounter atleast.

im gonna say horizon is a possible flop. Some of the fights look too scripted, especially against the larger creatures. Auto-animated sequences for attacks, like when she slides under the big guy and time slows a bit...for her to take the underbelly shot. Those will get old fast if it's actually a long game and I could get bored with it sooner.

Yes. Everything looks graphically amazing and it's a beautiful world GG has created, but I'm worried. This went from a day one preordered purchase, to now waiting on reviews. It might even get relegated to my do not buy unless under thirty dollars list too.

That is not automated. She has a skill that slows time when aiming.

OK I'm not going go through this entire topic correcting people on Horizon. It will speak for itself in two months.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Scalebound will absolutely not sell well. It's a Platinum game, so they probably expect it.

iMax

Maybe not, but it's probably true given Microsoft's first party track record. Old system sellers like Halo and Gears of War haven't been done that much justice, and the new IP, while certainly interesting, just haven't been very good. Quantum Break and ReCore were both critical failures, and I don't think they sold well either. Scalebound and that Pirate game from Rare look nice, but both have large margins for failure.

Microsoft really need to fix something with their first party devs. They either need new talent because their current devs aren't up to snuff or a new system because they're getting in the way.

I'm surprised you were disappointed in Gears of War 4, most have been thoroughly impressed. Initial sales, however, were lower than its predecessors.

I don't disagree with you, though. I don't think Microsoft's output can be considered to be a series of 'flops'—but similarly, I think they're undoubtedly lacking that X-Factor that SIE have. I haven't yet seen a game from MS—I don't think ever—that has that Last Of Us impact. And that's a real shame.

They have enormous talent but I suspect lack the creative freedom they need to shine, probably exacerbated by the fact that the majority of their studios are typecast into one franchise.

Floex

I truly hope Horizon is going to be something great but you guys who are dead cert on it doing so are deluded.

This is Guerrilla games, I'd say they have yet to make a truly great game. Technical showcases, for sure. A true classic game? Not yet.

I've said it before but the combined powers of Yoko Taro and Platinum will deliver a super bomb in Nier Automata. It's a goddamn shame but it is what it is.

Nioh won't flop critically because people have played both demos and we know what to expect.

Nioh won't flop commercially because it taps into the best of the Souls fanbase- Bloodborne players.

Scalebound might flop because it's like it's being developed for the wrong audience. Japanese game about monsters and dragons for XBox? Come on son.

Nier Automata
Sonic Generations 2
Nintendo Switch
the next Asscreed
Call of Duty Super Advanced Warfare
Knack 2
Scalebound
Sea of Thieves
Cra3kdown
Resident Evil 7
For Honor

Horizon, looks utterly mediocre imo
It's going to make Sony day moneyz though

Izuna

Banned
Horizon, looks utterly mediocre imo

I don't think that'd mean flop, though. Like, a couple of franchises come to mind that are mediocre af gameplay wise and yet are regarded as some of the best games ever.

Scalebound might flop because it's like it's being developed for the wrong audience. Japanese game about monsters and dragons for XBox? Come on son.

I swear... MS could have a majority of Japanese games and people will still repeat this nonsense...

kurahador

Critical flop:
Injustice 2 - With WB seems committed into making it a cosmetics based fighting game, it'll be its downfall. And the story mode will likely be shorter.

Commercial flop:
Crackdown 3 - the game comes out at least 3 years too late. Should've been a launch title. It'll cost too much to run the Cloud technology due to the low userbase, but they'll put out Scorpio version with the offline destructibility fully intact.

xealo

Horizon will probably sell well, although I think it'll bomb in regards to player impressions a while after release though. Guerilla Games have yet to produce a game that nailed the narrative part of it imo rather than just being technically well functioning games.

Scalebound will probably flop both commercially and critically though.

robotrock

Banned
Scalebound has done nothing for me in the past reveals, but I'm still hopeful.

I also don't think Platinum has been in a rut. Getting both Bayonetta 2 and Transformers Devestation from them in the past two years is solid with me.

Jakoo

I have not been remotely interested in any of the footage I have seen of Mass Effect Andromeda as of yet, despite that game being my favorite series last gen. I'm damn afraid they are going to run that series into the rocks.

GR2 is a already a flop

I think it should be repeated: for something to flop, it has to fail completely. A movie that has a $150 million budget and opens to $10 million is a flop considering its budget, moreso than a $1 million movie that makes $5 million.

Gravity Rush isn't made to sell a billion copies. So unless it was budgeted to the point where it would have to be a system seller or something of the sort, I wouldn't consider it a flop.

It's like saying indie games are all flops. Most indie developers aren't expecting to sell a ton of copies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
For Honor will flop like Steep did.

For Honor has a pretty decent YouTube and Twitch footprint already, just from the closed alphas. It has more in common with Siege than Steep.

Horizon is gonna flop? Everything about it has looked amazing so far - is this just wishful thinkin on behalf of certain posters or is there some genuine cause for concern?

Scalebound has looked like its gonna flop for years now, and its Platinum, who have trouble finding commercial success even when they review well.

The only major flops I can see manifesting next year are either Crackdown or Scalebound, just on the basis that a lot of MS IP outside of Halo/Gears/Forza have had very little success this generation. It seems like their marketing teams are just better suited for those 3 titles.

oti

Banned
Horizon because Guerilla Games.
I don't know about how good that game will be but the developers don't really matter here when it comes to commercial success. Horizon's visuals overshadow any developer name and are striking enough to be one of the few games "Call of Duty and FIFA players" will know about.

Jumeira

Banned

Nice ideas but they don't seem to show off how everything works like Witcher previews, seems highly scripted and for me, small things like animation and such look inconsistent. I also have no faith in GG.

I'm surprised you were disappointed in Gears of War 4, most have been thoroughly impressed. Initial sales, however, were lower than its predecessors.

I don't disagree with you, though. I don't think Microsoft's output can be considered to be a series of 'flops'—but similarly, I think they
re undoubtedly lacking that X-Factor that SIE have. I haven't yet seen a game from MS—I don't think ever—that has that Last Of Us impact. And that's a real shame.

They have enormous talent but I suspect lack the creative freedom they need to shine, probably exacerbated by the fact that the majority of their studios are typecast into one franchise.

Wat? Last gen they had that with Halo 3, Gears (new IP) and Mass Effect. Your definition of X Factor is really your own perception, but you can't deny they impact the games I mentioned above had during its time. Countless GOTYs, huge sales and contributed to thier genres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom