• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Flops of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 68 is a flop. That's an AWFUL score.

OpenCritic says that the median of the average scores for all the games it tracks is a 72. The problem is that there's a tonne of games huddled around the 70 to 75 range, which means that Mafia 3's average of 67 dumps it just outside of the bottom third of games in OC's records.

Plum

You watch Easy allies? Most of the team has been saying that game is looking more and more like a flop. And those guys really LOVE games!!

Was gonna PM you about it but since I can't could you point to any specific video where they touched on this? I've been looking at a lot of Horizon impressions and would like to hear some more critical ones.

Slayven

Viewtiful Joe was part of the Capcom Five, I'll never forget!

(also RE4 so I mean that shit had some classics in there)

250px-PN03NTSCcover.jpg

I like that people keep pointing out that guerilla isn't able to make a game that reviews well given their previous output.

I had no idea From Software made 90+ meta games before souls.

Boke1879

You watch Easy allies? Most of the team has been saying that game is looking more and more like a flop. And those guys really LOVE games!!

I'm honestly starting to think this is a lot of people's hail mary. Nothing really suggests it'll be a flop, but if it is people can give each other high fives saying it is.

I like EA, but that kinda follow the GAF bubble of hype. Meaning they are interested in a lot of games that quite frankly won't register with your casual audience.

The casual audience KNOWS what Horizon is, and unless it gets delayed the marketing for it will be starting soon.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Was gonna PM you about it but since I can't could you point to any specific video where they touched on this? I've been looking at a lot of Horizon impressions and would like to hear some more critical ones.

They mostly have said this after E3, I think its in their Frame Traps and weekly podcast. Its been mostly commentaries saying how some of the mechanics reminded them of "Towers" from Far cry and some of it was looking really repetitive.

Unsure what videos however, but noticed at least 2 or 3 comments about it. Sorry I can't be more specific...

Tom Clancy's Wildlands. Good of Bad, I think it will pay for The Division's sins.

And Assassins Creed Empires or Osiris or whatever its called. Maybe not a bomba but I think the downward sales trend will continue for the franchise. Its very hard to turn a franchises fortunes around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the biggest thing going against Marvel vs Capcom is that the last one didn't actually do that great (~2 million copies), and it's not entirely clear to me what is supposed to make this one do notably better given how Street Fighter went.

I could just straight up be ignorant of some major changes or hot new features, but if it's basically the same thing as before, I don't see why that is notably more appealing half a decade later. It's not like Marvel was irrelevant in 2011, and even if that half of the appeal has went up, Capcom's has presumably went notably down.

Plum

I like that people keep pointing out that guerilla isn't able to make a game that reviews well given their previous output.

That's not a good comparison at all seeing as one was a very niche, Japanese-focused developer making very niche, Japanese-focused games with relatively low budgets and the other is an AAA developer through and through who has made some of the highest budget shooters on Sony's recent consoles. It also doesn't have a new director whereas Demon's Souls did.

Or Rocksteady before Arkham Asylum. GG hired so many new people that you can't even compare the teams.

That's not a good comparison at all seeing as one was a very niche, Japanese-focused developer making very niche, Japanese-focused games with relatively low budgets and the other is an AAA developer through and through who has made some of the highest budget shooters on Sony's recent consoles. It also doesn't have a new director whereas Demon's Souls did.

Matthijs de Jonge directed KZ2, which was received very well critically (90+ on average).

HotHamBoy

The Nintendo Switch

Actually, I don't think it will literally flop, but I do think reception will be lukewarm after the launch hype.

I think they are going to price themselves out.

They mostly have said this after E3, I think its in their Frame Traps and weekly podcast. Its been mostly commentaries saying how some of the mechanics remind them of "Towers" from Far cry and some of it was looking really repetitive.

Unsure what videos however, but noticed at least 2 or 3 times comments about it. Sorry I can't be more specific...

This.

Broadly speaking, there is a sense of disappointment that Horizon was going to embrace a lot of the more generic elements of open-world games like towers, etc, instead of being more of a trailblazer that has its own very strong, unlike other games unique identity like what Zelda appears to be doing.

PeterGAF

Banned
Pack it up guys the Easy Allies said it. We're done here nothing else to be added.

Look I love the Allies. I like them more than any other YouTube gaming group, but their sudden disrespect for Horizon is simply based on their hatred of towers. One of the Allies saw that there were towers in the game and the entire group jumped on the "it's gonna flop" bandwagon because of open world fatigue. Again I love them but they're not innocent of growing hate boners for certain games (Battleborn says hi)

How many first person horror games are mainline Resident Evil games?
How many first person mainline RE game have we had? How good have they done?

RE7 looks like many other FP horror titles and doesn't have any of the old cast in it. Regardless of how the game actually is, it won't sell that much cause it looks like a huge departure from RE series.

Plum

Has anybody said Pikmin 3DS yet? That's my bet.

What's a Pikmin 3DS?

Nah but seriously I honestly forgot about that game. It's likely going to do as well as the Chibi Robo 2D platformer, that is very badly. Just hope that the rumoured Pikmin 4 is actually good and gets the attention the series really does deserve.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
To me, the pitch of Ghost Recon is playing a game like Watch Dogs, GTA, or Assassin's Creed, but with full campaign co-op.

I used to be very bullish on it, but Watch Dogs 2, Assassin's Creed, and Mad Max underperforming makes me wonder how much people want games like this right now, especially if they don't have the expected quality of a Rockstar game.

Maybe co-op is the answer and that gets it back up to 7+ million, or whatever the as yet U revealed standalone multiplayer modes are, but my skepticism is raised until I see clear interest signs.

I mean, has Hideki Kamiya ever made a bad game? I have a hard time believing Scalebound will be a flop critically. Commercially, sure, it's very possible.

The point still applies though.

"They've never made a XYZ meta game. So, this game won't be either" implies developers always remain stagnant and that clearly isn't the case.

How many first person mainline RE game have we had? How good have they done?

RE7 looks like many other FP horror titles and doesn't have any of the old cast in it. Regardless of how the actually game is, it won't sell that much cause it looks like a huge departure from RE series.

You don't know this. I think there a good chance we see some of the old cast.

There's plenty of reasons to be concerned about Horizon's quality, if you've never been a fan of Guerilla's previous products.

At the same time, the core team for Horizon hasn't released a game since Killzone 3, and come February 2017, it will be exactly 6 years since their last game.

I am a very different person now than I was 6 years ago in terms of maturity, capability, and skills possessed. I'm sure all of you are as well.

That's not to say Horizon will be good. But I will give the team that has 6 additional years of experience compared to when they released Killzone 3 an open mind.

I think Horizon is gonna do pretty well, but then again the positive buzz around it is pretty captivating.

Friday The 13th was pulling 40,000-50,000+ Twitch viewers when the beta started.

It's not really a GAF or traditional press game, but it has huge traction among its actual audience.
This post made me happy :)

I guess I'm so used to these parts that I lost sight of the fact that there are other people out there that are like me!!! Glad I can be enthused again ^^

Generic white dude with short hair. The protagonist is really the most uninspired of any P* game, he looks like a westernized Nero tweaked to check all the male protagonist cliches. The gameplay also looks very worrying from what we've seen. I'm a huge P* fan and I hope the game does well, but the more I've seen of it the harder it's been to find what I like of P* in this game.
I think the headphones really make me adore the dude. The fact I can imagine him putting on headphones and not caring while killing bad guys in stylish ways is EXACTLY the kind of badass that I think is super cool. Also, I think gaming needs a lot more punk in it in the vein of New Dante and Sunset Overdrive, because that flavor of punk is badass and awesome and makes me happy c:

As someone who isn't a fan of Platinum, Scalebound looks like it takes a step away from the character action stuff that I find unengaging and almost impossible to control in a slower and more RPG open world like direction. Which is exactly what I want :)

Also there are dragons and the game looks visually awesome so that's a huge plus for me!!!

HotHamBoy

5) For Honor: I get the feeling that the bulk of the hype for this game was for the singleplayer, and it's become very clear that the SP is a tack-on for the multiplayer, so the hype has dissipated.

Are you joking? The hype for that game was always for the MP. It was originally shown as just an MP game. I didn't even know an SP campaign was involved until recently and I have been quite interested in that game. The alpha did great, impressions of the beta game right now are strong.

This was never pitched as an SP-focused game. It will be recieved in the same way Battlefield is - no one gives a shit about the SP campaign.

Maybe it will be a flop but it won't be because of the SP aspect.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Are you joking? The hype for that game was always for the MP. It was originally shown as just an MP game. I didn't even know an SP campaign was involved and I have been quite interested in that game. The alpha did great, impressions of the beta game right now are strong.

This was never pitched as an SP-focused game. It will be recieved in the same way Battlefield is - no ine gives a shit about the SP campaign.

One thing you forget... its a Ubisoft game.

With them I always wait for reviews now. Been burned way too many times!

I think the biggest thing going against Marvel vs Capcom is that the last one didn't actually do that great (~2 million copies), and it's not entirely clear to me what is supposed to make this one do notably better given how Street Fighter went.

I could just straight up be ignorant of some major changes or hot new features, but if it's basically the same thing as before, I don't see why that is notably more appealing half a decade later. It's not like Marvel was irrelevant in 2011, and even if that half of the appeal has went up, Capcom's has presumably went notably down.
I'm looking at it as there being a current drought of Marvel games and MvCI and Spider-Man are being marketed as frontrunners for fans looking for some games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think Horizon is gonna do pretty well, but then again the positive buzz around it is pretty captivating.

This post made me happy :)

I guess I'm so used to these parts that I lost sight of the fact that there are other people out there that are like me!!! Glad I can be enthused again ^^

I think the headphones really make me adore the dude. The fact I can imagine him putting on headphones and not caring while killing bad guys in stylish ways is EXACTLY the kind of badass that I think is super cool. Also, I think gaming needs a lot more punk in it in the vein of New Dante and Sunset Overdrive, because that flavor of punk is badass and awesome and makes me happy c:

As someone who isn't a fan of Platinum, Scalebound looks like it takes a step away from the character action stuff that I find unengaging and almost impossible to control in a slower and more RPG open world like direction. Which is exactly what I want :)

Also there are dragons and the game looks visually awesome so that's a huge plus for me!!!
It's kind of astonishing.

Dead by Daylight has moved over 1.5 million copies, but our OT is less than 150 posts.

We're getting pretty out of touch even among core gaming trends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom