• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the Flops of 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I think the biggest thing going against Marvel vs Capcom is that the last one didn't actually do that great (~2 million copies), and it's not entirely clear to me what is supposed to make this one do notably better given how Street Fighter went.

I could just straight up be ignorant of some major changes or hot new features, but if it's basically the same thing as before, I don't see why that is notably more appealing half a decade later. It's not like Marvel was irrelevant in 2011, and even if that half of the appeal has went up, Capcom's has presumably went notably down.

I doubt they would let Capcon deliver junk, but at the same time I doubt a lot of just Marvel fans will pick up. It has Marvel characters, but in a highly technical fighting game. But they still got Spiderman(is that 2017?)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Any word on Ghost Recon Wildlands? I've heard no hype for it.

Metal Gear Survive is very likely to flop. Nobody wants this game.

I mean, has Hideki Kamiya ever made a bad game? I have a hard time believing Scalebound will be a flop critically. Commercially, sure, it's very possible.

Quite a few people couldn't git gud at W101 and think it's a bad game because of it. They are beyond wrong of course.

icespide

Banned
I doubt they would let Capcon deliver junk, but at the same time I doubt a lot of just Marvel fans will pick up. It has Marvel characters, but in a highly technical fighting game. But they still got Spiderman(is that 2017?)
No date yet but I hope it is

Kthulhu

I'm betting Horizon will just be another open world game and disappoint anyone who expects it to rock their world.

At first I was pretty hyped, but the more I read and see about it the more I think it's being overhyped.

It's kind of astonishing.

Dead by Daylight has moved over 1.5 million copies, but our OT is less than 150 posts.

We're getting pretty out of touch even among core gaming trends.

I'd say we trend more towards console gaming trends of the hardcore gaming niche, so even stuff like extremely mainstream IPs like CoD and sports stuff fly below the radar.

But you can beat up Captain Marvel. It can't fail.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
All yer favorite popular games will flop and all the niche hardcore games that I like will most likely not flop.

Plum

The point still applies though.

"They've never made a XYZ meta game. So, this game won't be either" implies developers always remain stagnant and that clearly isn't the case.

I was more looking at it in a contextual sense. Demon's Souls was, at the time, a niche game through and through, the series' massive success only coming afterwards so the initial design was lead by that. Horizon is Sony's big new IP with a lot riding on it which, generally, doesn't allow much room for the same kind of innovation Demon's brought. As has been said in the thread there's worries from EZA that it might fall into the typical open world traps of "towers" and the like. They're just not the same type of game nor do they come from the same kind of development team. Not that AAA games can't be like Demon's Souls, but there's definitely more restrictions on them in terms of how "far out" the devs can actually go with their game.

Though, like I've said, I'm not as down on the game as others have been, to me a 80-85 seems perfectly fine for the game, my viewpoint is that the game won't be a game-changer or a GOTY candidate like Bloodborne and Witcher 3 this gen have been and will simply be another really good PS4 exclusive. I'm definitely looking forward to it; especially now I've bought a Pro.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Pack it up guys the Easy Allies said it. We're done here nothing else to be added.

Look I love the Allies. I like them more than any other YouTube gaming group, but their sudden disrespect for Horizon is simply based on their hatred of towers. One of the Allies saw that there were towers in the game and the entire group jumped on the "it's gonna flop" bandwagon because of open world fatigue. Again I love them but they're not innocent of growing hate boners for certain games (Battleborn says hi)

FROMSoft may not have had a 90+ metacritic game before Souls but they had games that were very good and highly creative like Otogi 1/2 and Kings Field. I wouldn't say Guerilla Games is a bad developer, they're just middling. Killzone was/is generic as hell. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Horizon turned out good but I wouldn't be surprised if it just turned out to be like an average Ubisoft open world AAA game with a different setting either.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Zelda: I can see a huge rift across the internet and on GAF. Either that Nintendo didn't quite execute very well on the dungeons or the concepts didn't fall quite in line with preview coverage, or many of those that prefer and miss the hand-holding will feel left out.

shwimpy

Mass Effect: Andromeda will be a flop critically. Bioware hasn't made a good game (IMO) since 2 and I still don't know how they bamboozled journalists in thinking DA:I was a good game, let alone their game of the year that year.

icespide

Banned
Mass Effect: Andromeda will be a flop critically. Bioware hasn't made a good game (IMO) since 2 and I still don't know how they bamboozled journalists in thinking DA:I was a good game, let alone their game of the year that year.
I'm really worried that Mass Effect will be DA:I in space

Dead by Daylight has moved over 1.5 million copies, but our OT is less than 150 posts.

I've never heard of this game and it sounds absolutely amazing in every way????? Ahhhhhhhhhh

Also I find Neogaf's... interesting perspectives to speak volumes on a lot of stuff. I don't find myself agreeing with many things here, but it's all so fascinating to read and absorb and question why I look for things differently than everyone else. I think it's really easy to get absorbed into the consensus, but with some self awareness I always remember my own priorities when it comes to games, movies, etc. It's all in good fun and in the name of sharing perspectives, anyway!

AniHawk

it might explain why it's so hard to convince folks that the dedicated hardware market is in sharp decline in npd threads - it's a pretty safe place for people who have probably come up with a playstation or ps2 (or even ps3), when outside that bubble, it's a rapidly changing landscape. the general market is probably catering to the needs of people on average about ten years younger than the average gaf user (who i'm guessing is in their mid-late 20s and early 30s).

Am I losing something here? Literally everything they have been showing has been received with praise.

That's exactly why these guys are saying it. It's not a genuine prediction, they're just cashing in their outside he's so that in the off chance it does flop they can say "I told you so".

Izuna

Banned

It looks dope to me. Like some Lost Planet mixed with Panzer Dragoon. Colour me hyped.

Well all know Horizon will have little to no freedom in it's gameplay, but I also don't like comparing the two.

I know for a fact that Nier Automata > Scalebound from what we've seen... I need to get on the PlayStation platform asap unless somehow my Surface can run it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
it might explain why it's so hard to convince folks that the dedicated hardware market is in sharp decline in npd threads - it's a pretty safe place for people who have probably come up with a playstation or ps2 (or even ps3), when outside that bubble, it's a rapidly changing landscape. the general market is probably catering to the needs of people on average about ten years younger than the average gaf user (who i'm guessing is in their mid-late 20s and early 30s).
We're definitely a SNES/PS1 era generation forum at our core, though some of that is inherent to being a forum in the first place, as younger people use Reddit, Discord, or just normal social media channels in general while getting their gaming info from YouTube, Twitch, and word of mouth instead of IGN.

Mind control man. Mind control.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I'm really worried that Mass Effect will be DA:I in space

Yep, can see this as being a real flop across the internet. The glory days of ME1 and 2 are almost impossible to top in most minds, and it's practically unfair on any developer to even attempt. Even if there is inherently nothing truly wrong with it, the most minor flaws will be under such scrutiny and bring about the same heated swing emotions that buried ME3 and DA:I among the hardcore. Many will shrug and enjoy it all the same, but the most vocal will burn it to the ground. Then again, Doom ended up alright...

Well, I'll contribute even though similar threads have been locked up. I'm not surprised to see replies that are so off the mark.

Scalebound will be a commercial flop regardless of its actual quality, because that is just the fate of Platinum titles. The Xbox One exclusivity certainly does not help its prospects at all.

Ever Oasis for 3DS could potentially end up as both a commercial and critical bomb. Practically no one even acknowledges its existence, and its developer's reputation is shaky. I expect Ever Oasis to satisfy my personal tastes, so I don't think I will be disappointed. It seems like a safe buy to me, especially with the current lack of software competition on handhelds.

Don't think Horizon will be a flop but don't expect it to a huge success .
I am hype for it but some people hoping for more than they should .
I think it will end up being a mid tier game for Sony sales wise .

Izuna

Banned

We're getting pretty out of touch even among core gaming trends

pfft, I've felt that way ever since CoD multiplayer became a thing

personally, not NeoGAF

Mindlog

It will be 2017 Dead by Daylight.
The big difference is the interaction between players.

Friday the 13th has the potential to be a huge stream game. It's made for personalities that want to put a little into it. The game itself is OK maybe, but Micky Mouse running around murdering fools is what really makes it special. If I were developing that game I would absolutely be looking at some sort of Twitch feature integration.
Friday The 13th was pulling 40,000-50,000+ Twitch viewers when the beta started.

It's not really a GAF or traditional press game, but it has huge traction among its actual audience.
Absolutely. The game was made for streaming. There's a whole lot of tabletop to be mined there. Maybe even a little improv. Let the audience throw modifiers at the streamers. There's something new that hasn't been done before that's possible with this game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
With Mass Effect: Andromeda, BioWare has been delivering a steady 4-5 million copies across the vast majority of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect titles.

However, I think the real challenge for them at this point is doing better than that. Almost every major RPG is doing 10+ million copies, while BioWare is stuck in second gear. Even more niche stuff like Dark Souls is doing around their numbers these days.

That's not to say 4-5 million is unprofitable for them, but I would find it underwhelming given their genre and development expenditures.

I won't say that it's just that some games don't catch on gaf .
Plus forums are old school compare everything we have today .

Stantron

Elder Scrolls: Legends.

The game is good but the uninformed Hearthstone crowd have written the game off.
The game is ready to be released from beta. The devs are waiting until they can support mobile before launching which should be sometime early 2017. I think we'll see a bit more marketing at that time, and hopefully the gameplay speaks for itself to gain popularity. Most HS players that I've heard from say that the game is more strategic and less RNG based which gives it more depth, but at the moment HS is more profitable for already popular streamers. Hope it does well. The game is great and has been one of my most played of 2016.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Sea of Thieves, but I think the novelty will wear off quickly and new content will not release quickly enough to hold people's interest.

_Clash_

Kamiya as director- Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, Bayonetta, W101,

Scalebound (TBA 2017)

Who would be betting on a Kamiya flop?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't know about "flops" but I believe pre-orders of games will be down compared to this time last year which will lead to quicker price cuts almost across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom