• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pres Obama now doing $400k speeches for Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes after criticising Wall Street "fat cats" while so many American families were hurting largely due to their greed. In 2009, he told CBS: "I did not run for office to be helping out a bunch of fat cat bankers on Wall Street."

During Mr Obama's two terms as US president he at times seemed to have strained relations with the financial sector.

He deplored high bonuses paid to bank executives, and said Wall Street shared blame for the 2008 financial crisis.

Some liberals have criticised Mr Obama's speech decision, with one writer saying it "will undermine everything he believes in".

The New York Post said his speech fee made him "Wall Street's newest fat cat".

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39710529

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Isn't that kinda what you do as an ex-President?

I'm sure Trump won't cash in on the presidency when he's done (ha!)

In the eternal words of Beyoncé...

tumblr_inline_oftgcfAhCM1qk19yk_540.gif

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
As a former ex president and one that speaks as eloquently as he, if he didn't use his gift, he should have the shit kicked out of him by Michelle. I'm here simply to salute and say get that paper.

Usobuko

Banned
IIRC, Obama recent interview was something like focusing what he thinks he can and should do now, that is to bring up the newer generations of democrats leadership.

This is rather disappointing and the only good thing that would come out of it is him donating the exact amount to charity.

Taking 400,000 for a speech? It is the epitome of greed. Doing so as a former president that campaigned on income inequality, it is unfathomable.

Cool. Just the kind of leadership the Democratic party needs. Obama is getting that Wall Street money, Clinton is walking a dog through the woods and reflecting on her legacy, and Bernie is stanning for the pro-life crowd. Can't wait for 2018.

riotous

Banned
Meanwhile alt-right idols take money to speak at liberal arts colleges... that makes them safe space loving liberals doesn't it?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wonder what the content of these speeches are like. Just basic inspirational crap like you would hear at a college grad ceremony but framed for Wall St types?

kirblar

It's literally what every ex-Pres and high ranking official does. They're glorified appearance fees.

There is no "Ammo" here, he is literally never running for office again.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Taking 400,000 for a speech? It is the epitome of greed. Doing so as a former president that campaigned on income inequality, it is unfathomable.

Money is evil, I'm so disappointed in Obama.

cirrhosis

Would people rather he stay in Chicago and make phat beats a la Dubya painting flowers? The Pres did his time.

Fucks sake, he can't win. Detractors will never be satisfied and a million hoops will be thrown up so people can say he's done absolute jack.

What's that, sell your time to the highest bidder even if said bidder was someone you criticised when you served as leader of the free world and leader of the democrats?

Sure you make paper, but it compounds the credibility of the higher levels of the democratic party. If they claim to be for the working class man but always ready to do wall street speeches in ya free time.

He making 20 mil on his book, how much money he need at the expense of depressing the party?

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not a disaffected sixteen year old who views the world in black and white and has no grasp of even the most basic economic theories as I impotently rage against the machine and therefore do not think Wall Street = evil, and so see no problem giving speeches for cash for some in this world.

Good for Obama.

wisdom0wl

Fuck it. Chase that paper Barry. If I was him I would've given up on the U.S. and just mailed it in. Stack it high Bams, stack it high.

Acorn

Shame. This will predictably be used against him.
Isn't in public office and won't be running for one again. I mean preferably he'd wait a few years but not a huge issue ultimately beyond poor optics of getting paid a shit ton by a sector you were involved in legislating recently.

Man, who gives a fuck. He was president for eight years, he doesn't owe anyone shit, especially not half-assed self proclaimed liberals who won't even fucking vote unless the candidate is some superstar unicorn who massages their egos and wallets. If people are willing to pay him for speaking then that's on them anyway.

Fuck

commedieu

Banned
One day people are going to understand politics. Then they'll stop acting like their favorite wwf character turned bad.

Yea, shocking that drone.strike.Obama is profiting from his presidency when it's legal to do so... keyword. Legal. He took money from Goldman sachs to win the presidency as well. *gasp*. He's a man. Just like most, he's out to make money. And like all politicians, double standards is a second language.

People make money from speeches and appearances. This is what happens when you equate politicians to celebrities. I think even Ricky Gervais makes like 400k to do his corporate jobs.

I'd be less disappointed in this if he hasn't already stated that he plans on remaining politically active in retirement.

(I'd still be extremely disappointed though.)

faisal233

Yea, how dare he gouges bankers who can afford it. Image how much of a better place this would be if he only charged 10K.

Want to get even more outraged? Obama already made 8.8 MILLLION MOTHERFUCKING DOLLARS from the audacity of hope. How dare he!!!

jviggy43

Cool. Just the kind of leadership the Democratic party needs. Obama is getting that Wall Street money, Clinton is walking a dog through the woods and reflecting on her legacy, and Bernie is stanning for the pro-life crowd. Can't wait for 2018.

Seriously its infuriating watching the dems be so clueless.

taaakun

Is everybody missing the point in this thread except the one guy?

Obama is TAKING their money, how is he suddenly their best friend and not tough on wall street?

He is literally funneling money away from wall street and into his charitable foundations...

Cagey

Banned
Don't begrudge him at all for getting paid.

The fees will be the equivalent of giving him a breath mint candy as thanks for not seeking bank charter revocation in 2009-10 as his administration should have done.

Would people rather he stay in Chicago and make phat beats a la Dubya painting flowers? The Pres did his time.

Fucks sake, he can't win. Detractors will never be satisfied and a million hoops will be thrown up so people can say he's done absolute jack.
W makes bank on speeches too between his weird paintings.
Something like $150k an appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom