• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) is the game of the year no one played

RossoneR

Banned
Hated ps4 demo. From attrocious controlls, framerate, some kind of filter..and i just realised its Arkane game. Now i know why i hated it lol.

Marcel

Yup and many times avoiding combat to stealth by is the preferred approach. Most people just arent used to that. We've been conditioned to kill anything that moves on sight in games. Some games even subvert this expectation to try to prove a point (Nier Automata, Spec Ops The Line, No Russian in CoD, etc)

Machine Mind basically trivializes the part with the respawning military operators and only costs 10 neuromods to power all the way up. And by that point in the game you should have the EMP gun anyway as a backup. The whining about that part is totally overstated.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Oh my,I dodged a bullet then.

It really isnt that bad imo. You have an abundance of resources by the end which makes taking out the enemies trivial. Plus by then you'll by more than familiar with Talos 1 and can just ignore the enemies and run to where you need to.

I ended the game with hundreds of rounds of extra ammunition.

Machine Mind basically trivializes the part with the respawning military operators and only costs 10 neuromods to power all the way up. And by that point in the game you should have the EMP gun anyway as a backup. The whining about that part is totally overstated.

Basically this.

J_Viper

If you fight EVERY enemy that appears on your screen in an immersive sim where ammo and resource conservation are a factor (even when you know they're respawning) then I don't know what else to say other than you're playing the game wrong. Prey gives you so many non-combat options and enemy control abilities that you are just foregoing game features to force the matter.
The problem here is that other option, which is crouch walk around this giant ship, isn't the slightest bit of fun.

Even if you're using powers to evade enemies, you're eventually gonna run out of power juice, especially in the later game, and then you're doubly screwed

I had plenty of resources throughout most of the game, but once Steve Blum appeared with that terrible Russian accent, and the whole facility filled up with enemies, I ran out of both ammo and power juice.

I then deleted the game.

Slixshot

Banned
Prey 2017 is a masterpiece. Its not perfect, but its incredibly ambitious, intricate, clever and deep.

Sadly, a lot of people overlooked it. but you shouldnt : because it's very cheap and it's unique. It's also an endangered species : Deus Ex is basically dead. Dishonored 2 bombed and Death of the outside barely lived. Prey, sadly, bombed hard. Immersive Sim, as we called them, are a dying breed, one more reason to not overlook Prey.

What is Prey ?
It's Bioshock meets Deus Ex, made by Dishonored people. It's an immersive sim, with Metroidvania progression, quests and level design.

It's a sci fi game, in a retro futuristic art deco style in a space station where humans conduct experiments about alien they made contact with in orbit.

Prey opens with one of the best, most engaging and memorable opening hour since God of War 3 imo. it will hook you. Hard. It's slick, brillant, mindfucking and addictive. Without spoiling, they manage to engage the player and suck it into their world, down the rabbit hole, in a very compelling way.

The game is about progressing through the space station; finding what's happening, why and how. The game offers an amazing sens of discovery and reward exploration through loot but also through gameplay with emergent solution of traversal for example.

I really can't say much about the story, the setting or the mechanics as everything is deeply tied and the discovery is essential to the element of surprise.

prey-bethesda-devoile-le-debut-du-jeu-17d87a8b__930_300__56-0-1850-574.jpg

Let's just say this : the game is incredibly ambitious. From the artstyle, from basic posters, to furnitures, to the layers of the stations telling their own story through simple environmental design. The gameplay, is taking the best from Bioshock, Deus Ex and Dishonored and takes the best of the bunch, but still has its own ideas and personality. Prey succeed at being so familiar in its structure (exploration, dumpster diving, hacking, moving big object around) but with its very own crazy and unique clever twists.

Now let's talk about the narrative : Prey is the most ambitious narrative I played this year* and it really shook me through its scope but also with its premise and story but more importantly : the themes and the underlying implications. I think TONS of people missed it because otherwise, it would be praised, or maybe it's just that the game bombed that hard.

Many of my friends brushed the game aside because of the simple story but they totally missed the second reading. Everything is there. Of course I can't go deeper without HUGE spoilers so let's avoid it here, but Prey is hard on the mind game and asks the player to see through it. Nothing is as it seems and even on its most basic " game " system, the story only gets more revelant.

If you played the game, here are two excellent analysis of the game DO NOT CLICK if you havent played / finished the game :

Errant Signal : Prey :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9U0u8aR8w&t=28s

Extra Credits : Prey : the enemy inside (this goes STRAIGHT to the ending so be warned)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3QsCy4ekWk

Maybe if you played the game, give these two video a go. Maybe you'll noticed something you missed, maybe you'll get a second view on the game's true ambition in narrative design.

*I just began Nier:Automata let's see how it goes.

I was thinking about buying this today.

The problem here is that other option, which is crouch walk around this giant ship, isn't the slightest bit of fun.

Even if you're using powers to evade enemies, you're eventually gonna run out of power juice, especially in the later game, and then you're doubly screwed

I had plenty of resources throughout most of the game, but once Steve Blum appeared with that terrible Russian accent, and the whole facility filled up with enemies, I ran out of both ammo and power juice.

I then deleted the game.

I immediately went to the place that kept the robots from following me and disabled their tracking (then they all attacked the Nightmare instead in one of the coolest emergent moments I've ever seen in a game) using my massive surplus of power juice and ammo to attack and evade them.

Surfside

Banned
I'm currently playing it and I'm enjoying it but I find it a bit difficult but I know I've not been playing it as I should have been and taking advantage of the crafting in the game but still enjoying it a lot!

Yeah the crafting is nescessary i would say. Without it, it would be quite a lot harder.

I should give it another try. I thought the opening bit was incredible, but playing it for a couple hours after that was a chore. I wasn't enjoying playing it, and that's a sure way to get me to stop and play other things.

Marcel

I immediately went to the place that kept the robots from following me and disabled their tracking (then they all attacked the Nightmare instead in one of the coolest emergent moments I've ever seen in a game) using my massive surplus of power juice and ammo to attack and evade them.

not to spoil your cool moment but i had this happen to me too on my human powers only playthrough lol

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I then deleted the game.

The game IS called Prey. Having free reign of the station would go against that concept :p

Hupsel

Game is fun. First 4 hours are really good, but then there isn´t much new after that. The enemy types were also super boring to fight imo.

not to spoil your cool moment but i had this happen to me too on my human powers only playthrough lol

I mean, I don't think it's a powers related thing, I just think that the Nightmare can spawn in areas where, endgame, those enemies will naturally appear (in my case it was the shuttle bay, so that was even cooler since I could get to the objectives in question nearly unimpeded)

Surfside

Banned

I killed a Nightmare just to see what it was like.
But it wasn't worth the resources so i used the Satellite instead.

I've always been interested in it after having a blast with the original. Can't tell you how many times I recommended that game...and how many people ignored me.

I always liked the subtle environmental storytelling devices they used in the original like the radio host Art Bell. Really did an excellent job adding depth to a story limited to alien corridors and the occasional dead zone.

Is there anything like that in the sequel?

Bronetta

Game is fun. First 4 hours are really good, but then there isn´t much new after that. The enemy types were also super boring to fight imo.

You don't face a Teknopath till like 10 hours into the game which is imo the coolest enemy in the game. The first encounter with one made me put some respect on the Typhon's name.

Surfside

Banned
You don't face a Teknopath till like 10 hours into the game which is imo the coolest enemy in the game. The first encounter with one made me put some respect on the Typhon's name.

I found Technopaths the most annoying enemies to fight. Because they could disable the awesomest of awesome weapons, the Q-Beam.

I played it, really liked it, but didn't like it enough to finish it.

I dunno what it was exactly. I don't think I liked the combat for whatever reason.

Bronetta

Pro tip for people starting out: upgrade the skill that lets you harvest Typhon organs asap. They're used to manufacture Neuromods later on meaning you'll get a lot more upgrades to play with.

I found Technopaths the most annoying enemies to fight. Because they could disable the awesomest of awesome weapons, the Q-Beam.

Thats why you disable them with a nullwave transmitter first :)

Even until the end, seeing a Teknopath made me really cautious and I'd try to avoid them unless I absolutely had to face one.

Bronetta

I wish they went through with DLC plans. Goddammit Bethesda.

I'm still hoping theres a Dishonored Death of the Outsider style standalone expansion in the works for next year.

Not a particularly good looking game, but it had interesting game mechanics. However the ending didn't feel like there was much of a payoff for your efforts.

nOoblet16

I liked the game but it doesn't do immersive sim as well as Dishonored and especially Deus Ex. The game has a hub design but has a very linear progression which leads to a design where the game is quite concerned about how you get through a locked door rather than what's behind a locked door. Deus Ex on the other hand doesn't care how you go past a locked door, it won't really send you off on a quest to find a key to unlock a door that leads to an area otherwise inaccessible.

But it's still a great experience. Though imo the story and ending were bad despite the interesting premise as it has little to no payoff.

What is Prey ?
It's Bioshock meets Deus Ex, made by Dishonored people. It's an immersive sim, with Metroidvania progression, quests and level design.

Actually it's not made by the guys who made Dishonored. They just share the name and for some reason Arkane Austin isn't the official name as they just use the same name as Arkane Lyon which is just Arkane Studios. Probably because they want people to think it's the same studio.

JelDeRebel

Neo Member
bad advertising I guess?

I didn't even know the game was release already and my gaming budget went to a new GPU, monitor, Nintendo Switch and Nintendo games

Courage

For a System Shock inspired game, this never really felt that creepy or unnerving to me. There were a few moments, the Crew Quarters notably, but any remaining tension dissipates when you're able to spot mimics in a room. Its bland art deco aesthetic didn't help.

Actually it's not made by the guys who made Dishonored. They just share the name and for some reason Arkane Austin isn't the official name as they just use the same name as Arkane Lyon which is just Arkane Studios. Probably because they want people to think it's the same studio.

Austin was formed by Arkhane in 2006. It's not the exact Dishonored team but its the same head and probably some cross talent.

For a System Shock inspired game, this never really felt that creepy or unnerving to me. There were a few moments, the Crew Quarters notably, but any remaining tension dissipates when you're able to spot mimics in a room. Its bland art deco aesthetic didn't help.

You can spot mimic in the room if you enter every room with the scope on. Its a pretty big if.

Also, bland art deco ? Its not only art deco ala bioshock, its coated with retro futuristic tone. It's also absurdly high tech material blended in wood and cold war era looking machines. I though it was so unique looking. I'm not even talking about the layers of the station, digging deeper into its history, you see the former shells and original soviet then co-joint extensions... all retrofited with giant, tanks and tubes and dirty looking lab equipement. It felt so good to walk from improbably spacious and luxous lobby to the deep of psychotronics, the heart of the history and the station, the entire thing being so dark and creepy

Surfside

Banned
Not a particularly good looking game, but it had interesting game mechanics. However the ending didn't feel like there was much of a payoff for your efforts.

I found it's art design very nice. Expecially the posters ( don't know how to name them better) had phantastic art style.

The whole station had many spots that made me stand still and just look at it.
The Cantina and the Arboretum were my highlights.

Foxxsoxx

Prey was an excellent game, that unfortunately lasted a bit too long and had a bad last act with a ton of backtracking and enemies constantly respawn, which while cool at first, got really old.

The first half of the game though is incredible which more than makes up for the last few hours of the game. The best parts of Prey are the moments that audibly mindfuck you in ways, whether it is a story beat, or in gameplay. "I CAN DO THAT? THEY LET ME DO THIS? WHY DID I NEVER THINK OF THAT?" sort of situations happen often.

I do wish there was more enemy design, and possibly a few more weapons, but what is there is great.

I had my problems with it (Mostly the way enemies respawned and how tedious it got at the end), but by and large it's a phenomenal experience with an amazing sense of place and one of the best designed locations I've had the pleasure of playing in.

I loved how much freedom you had and the amount of alternate paths and nooks and crannies there were to explore as well.

carlsojo

It's a smart, well-designed game, with fantastic level design but it just goes on far, far too long. Particularly when it just starts sending you to the same parts of the ship and all kinds of shit has respawned or new mobs have showed up. Then it just becomes a slog and it killed my desire to play. I went from loving it to dropping it completely.

Piggus

While I haven't tried the console version myself, I have seen a lot of complaints about the combat and I can only assume these complaints come from using a controller. I found the combat to be precise, satisfying, and fun with a keyboard and mouse.

Apparently they’ve improved controller response since the demo, but unless it’s a night-and-day difference I don’t know how people enjoyed this on consoles. The combat on PS4 was slow, sluggish, and incredibly frustrating, whereas on PC it’s very smooth and responsive from the start. I enjoy both console and PC gaming so I’m not normally one to bash on the console version of a game, but this is just one of those cases where the difference is so huge that you feel bad for anyone who had to suffer through the sloppy version.

KorrZ

It's a really good game, would probably be my GOTY in any other year but 2017 has been full of incredible titles.

I really wish this game sold better. It's got tons of issues, but the core is so strong.

Guevara

I agree with others who have said the game just isn't fun.

Which is sad, because it sure sounds good on paper and I want more of these kinds of games.

I'm still hoping theres a Dishonored Death of the Outsider style standalone expansion in the works for next year.
The reason why I've given up hope on DLC is because they announced the whole Bethesdaland thing prior to E3 (and prior to release), but skipped over the Prey part of the 'park' entirely once the show was live. It felt like plans had changed when the sales results came in.

So many great games released this year and not enough time. I really want to give this game a go since I love immersive sim games so much.

Shredderi

Guess what I'm buying after I'm done with TEW2 and Wolfenstein? This and Dishonored 2 (If I heard right that the PC port is in better shape these days).

Top Bottom