• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) is the game of the year no one played

the official twitter page got updated and it's pointing to the moon. Maybe a standalone expansion pack like death to the outsider?

Frozen Bagel

Neo Member
I forced myself to play halfway through the game and then gave up afterwards. To say Prey is a GOTY contender is underwhelming at best; It’s an okay game that can stand on its own but definitely not there yet to be GOTY. Felt like there was simply too much stuff added in it which conflicted with each other.

Ezquerro

Neo Member
I finished it last night clocking around 26 hours in total. I liked the game but at the same time... it was a bit painful to go through alllllll those loading screens (base PS4) and the zero gravity sequences were as bad as any water level.

Overall I'd say I enjoyed it and the story was pretty alright but at the same time I'm not gonna replay it, for long stretches of the game I was forcing myself to go through it.

Denton

the official twitter page got updated and it's pointing to the moon. Maybe a standalone expansion pack like death to the outsider?

Wow I really hope that is proper expansion. Would be unexpected, I thought with low sales they would shelve the franchise completely.

Personally I loved Prey, the PC version was pretty flawless and it is the closest we got to spiritual successor of System Shock 2..in some aspects I thought it was even better. Hopefully Arkane can keep making these singleplayer games.

daibaron

Banned
I finished the game in 30 something hours, did all the quests except for one. The main problem of the game is that it is too long, with some cuts, it would easily be much more better focussed and with the high points coming quickly one after the other. If a game is less than 10hrs long people make a scandal and now we have bloated games. There were parts i thought the game was going to end but it still dragged on like a soap opera that keeps on going and going and kills ayour enthusiasm.
To me that is the main problem, sure they could add a bit more enemy variants, perhaps human soldiers hunting you, with a bit of psychological pressure like in half life 1.
I quite liked the game, the story, setting and atmosphere were great.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Videos I've seen of this seem to follow the Half Life/Darkness model way more than the Deus Ex model. There needs to be more freedom during moments of development. It is not immersive at all to me when a game pretty much nails you down to jam story events into your eyeballs. If you're going to do that then just have a cinematic cutscene because being able to swing a first person camera around doesn't make it feel more like me or something. If my true agency isn't a component, I'm just watching through the eyes of a character, not me.

bati

What are you talking about? The game is as close to Deus Ex as it gets, as far as game structure is concerned.

Weird question: How scary is this game? I have a huge problem with horror games and hate jump scares. Is this game full of that?
If you hate jump scares I'm not sure this is the game for you. The main enemies are called mimics and, as the name suggests, they can mimic anything. Early on you never know where an attack is going to come from (well, if you're observant, you'll have an idea).

The game is very tense.

wipeout364

It’s a great game. I kind of wonder if the name helped or hurt the project. It’s a cool name but associated with the original Prey and it’s highly anticipated sequel that was cancelled. I wonder if launching it as a new IP ( which it essentially was in all ways except name) would have generated more excitement.
It’s sad because I really love the output from Arkane studios and they’ve had a couple disappointing projects(from a sales point of view) and I am worried they may get shutdown.

bati

Weird question: How scary is this game? I have a huge problem with horror games and hate jump scares. Is this game full of that?

Not really. For one, am ominous music starts playing whenever an enemy is near so you can mentally prepare. And after the initial two or three hours you'll know what to look for to spot the mimics and just shoot them while they're still in coffee cup form or whatever. Later on you also get special tools that help you locate them.

It's one of the best games ever made so even if it was full of jump scares I'd still recommend it to you, it's simply that good.

Ezquerro

Neo Member
Not scary per se but you're in constant tension. There might be a couple of jump scares in the first couple hours but it depends on whether you pay attention or not.

It gives you the same feeling as other Shock games.

svbarnard

Banned
Not really. For one, am ominous music starts playing whenever an enemy is near so you can mentally prepare. And after the initial two or three hours you'll know what to look for to spot the mimics and just shoot them while they're still in coffee cup form or whatever. Later on you also get special tools that help you locate them.

It's one of the best games ever made so even if it was full of jump scares I'd still recommend it to you, it's simply that good.

Really?

highrider

Banned
There were a lot of design aspects I really liked about it, but the actual gameplay just wasn’t entertaining at all for me.

KevinKeene

Banned
If you hate jump scares I'm not sure this is the game for you. The main enemies are called mimics and, as the name suggests, they can mimic anything. Early on you never know where an attack is going to come from (well, if you're observant, you'll have an idea).

The game is very tense.

Ugh. Now I'm less looking forward to playing. Didn't know this was a horror game :(

KevinKeene

Banned
Started this today. The atmosphere is nice, although it feels a bit toooo vague in terms if story. I got to watch a video that promised to explain some things, but it was interrupted ;(

However, combat sucks. It's super bad. These mimics are so annoying, doing way too much damage and being hard to hit. I'd prefer the game without those encounters.

Now I'm supposed to upgrade my suit for zero gravity environments. Will continue playing Tomorrow.

I always wanted to come back to this game after getting it at launch but just could never find the time. Beat it yesterday, primarily focusing on the main story (I left around 10 or so sidequests unfinished). Verdict: A-

For me, overall, only three games outrank PREY this generation: Bloodborne, Overwatch, and MGSV (DOOM and Horizon just behind it).

I love this game’s design and stylistic decisions. Its universe and contextual purpose are immensely compelling and resonated very strongly with me (basically take the best of Bioshock/System Shock, Deus Ex, and Portal and mash them together). Arkane’s creative team should receive way more recognition for what they crafted here than they have received.

But as fervent an evangelist as I am for this game, there are drawbacks. Gunplay and enemy variety are lackluster and while I didn’t mind it because I understand the focus is more survival-horror, I get why it’s a turnoff to some. Likewise, I feel like there could have been more compelling narrative twists than were incorporated, which is why it doesn’t quite measure up - in my eyes - to the Bioshock games.

Overall though it’s my 2017 GOTY, if only by a smidgen over Horizon.

Started this today. The atmosphere is nice, although it feels a bit toooo vague in terms if story. I got to watch a video that promised to explain some things, but it was interrupted ;(

However, combat sucks. It's super bad. These mimics are so annoying, doing way too much damage and being hard to hit. I'd prefer the game without those encounters.

Now I'm supposed to upgrade my suit for zero gravity environments. Will continue playing Tomorrow.
You will get something that will alleviate the annoyance of the mimics relatively early in the game. Some of the other enemies, though? Equally annoying. Thinking outside the box is a very useful trait in this game. Attacking enemies head on (like I did for the most part) isn't the smart move. For example, an enemy might be strolling around through flammable liquid. Twenty whacks with a puny wrench, or just torch them? I chose twenty whacks most of the time, to be fair.

Inuteu

the game definitely was not interesting enough to play
giphy.gif

Mooreberg

the game definitely was not interesting enough to play
I put 30 hours into it on PC, and my evaluation is roughly the same as last time I posted in the thread - amazing level and world design, very good performance, but not a great skill tree or enemy types and combat. Still don't like how weapon upgrades and neuromod stuff were basically competing for the same resource, it would have been like having to wait to upgrade your shotgun in Bioshock because you just upgraded your bee swarm ability.

That said, I'm playing Dishonored 2 now, and holy hell is having linear levels in this subgenre god awful. Same reason BioShock 2 and BioShock Infinite never got a second play through from me. Prey was lacking in some areas for me, but interconnected environments let you handle things at your own discretion. Dishonored 2 turns into a rune / bone charm checklist fetch quest in every level and I'm already getting bored with it halfway through the game. I wish MODs for a game like Prey were still a prevalent thing, a revamped skill progression system and slightly better combat would earn a second run through the game.

Valdega

I wish MODs for a game like Prey were still a prevalent thing, a revamped skill progression system and slightly better combat would earn a second run through the game.

Prey has plenty of mods that alter the progression system and balance. For example: https://www.nexusmods.com/prey2017/mods/15

Anyway, I loved Prey. It was my second favorite game of 2017 (the first being D:OS2). I love exploration and Prey excelled at that. I also like really dense environments that offer plenty of compelling interactions and again, Prey excelled at that. The combat was solid, if unremarkable, and the enemies were functionally interesting, if visually bland. The game as a whole was a bit on the easy side. I played on Nightmare difficulty and while the early game was rough, the late game was cakewalk. Resources were never an issue for me and I was able to craft a silly amount of Neuromods and upgrade kits. Personally, I would have completely removed the ability to craft either of those things or significantly increased their resource cost.

Top Bottom