• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) is the game of the year no one played

bremon

Debating picking this one up but opinion is pretty divided. Likely wait for a good sale in case I strongly dislike it.

Nimajneb

Why do you guys want to keep giving goty to games with shitty gameplay? No op. No.

Because the exploration, resource management and level design are all top notch. There's a lot more to game play than just the combat.

And for the most part, the combat is fine. The weapon selection is quite different and more diverse than what you usually find in FPS games, and can lead to some interesting encounters.

Debating picking this one up but opinion is pretty divided. Likely wait for a good sale in case I strongly dislike it.

Get it if you like exploration and resource management. Pass if you just want shooting action.

I wouldn't really compare it to the Metroidvania genre, but it was a damn fine game, certainly one of the best of a year. And it kills my heart that the immersive sim genre is dying :(.

Why do you guys want to keep giving goty to games with shitty gameplay? No op. No.

I've set up some pretty elaborate and on-the-fly series of traps for phantoms when I barely had any ammo and it worked beautifully. Those moments in a game when shit actually works logically and you sit there thinking "oh wow...damn".

I had a very memorable encounter where I knew a higher level (forget which one) Phantom was a floor below me and I could see him moving about through the grating. I grabbed a turret from another room and set that up where I knew he would have to turn left if coming up the stair case. Next I picked up an explosive barrel and positioned it at the stair landing slightly below the turret ran downstairs and popped a pistol bullet into its back to aggro it. Jetted back up the stairs and shot one of the wall pipes for toxic damage, while he was being stunned by that hurled the barrel, ran further up the stairs and watched the turret finish it off as soon as it turned the corner upstairs.

You no.

I'm currently going through the game.

Just reached the GUTS segment, that alone keeps this game from being anywhere a GOTY list. It's tedious, hideous and adds nothing of value to the game. It's terrible!

With that out of the way...
I can see why this game was very hit or miss.
I do like the atmosphere, soundtrack is probably my favorite of the year, the first 8 hours are indeed amazing, there are some cool powers, the looting and item management is very rewarding and well done.
The problem is, the moment to moment gameplay is simply not that fun. And because of that, whenever the game is nothing showing you something new, fresh and cool, it loses the appeal and becomes a little boring.
Enemies are some of the most boring and uninteresting I've seen this gen. Stealth is a joke. Surprisingly, I don't think the gunplay is as bad as some say, it's perfectly fine for a sim game.
I'm still enjoying it very much and I would definitely play a sequel, but coming out of Deus Ex: Mankind divided (that I loved!), this game is not as fun.

Sentenza

I'm still enjoying it very much and I would definitely play a sequel, but coming out of Deus Ex: Mankind divided (that I loved!), this game is not as fun.
Funny, I bought DE: MD after this game because I felt I wanted more immersive sim awesomeness.
I have yet to go past the 10 hours because I hated it fiercely.
THAT is a game where I didn't like "the moment to moment gameplay".
And for context I absolutely loved the previous one; it's just that something feels completely off with the sequel.

Funny, I bought DE: MD after this game because I felt I wanted more immersive sim awesomeness.
I have yet to go past the 10 hours because I hated it fiercely.
THAT is a game where I didn't like "the moment to moment gameplay".
And for context I absolutely loved the previous one; it's just that something feels completely off with the sequel.

I guess we're even then :p I bought Prey because of DE:MD. And I couldn't finish Human Revolution :)

Inuteu

GOTY, though? Insanity. Breath of The Wild, Persona 5, Nier Automata, Divinity 2, Sonic Mania, Splatoon 2, Resident Evil 7, Nioh, Cuphead, Horizon Zero Dawn, Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0, Steamworld Dig 2, etc etc etc. It's been too good a year.

Breath of The Wild Persona 5, Nier Automata, Divinity 2, Sonic Mania, Splatoon 2, Hollow Knight, Yakuza 0, Steamworld Dig 2: didnt played. not my style, dont catch my interest. Some of these I dont even know

Resident Evil 7: great game. but Prey is better, imo

Nioh - just play the demo. nice Souls like game

Cuphead - nice, but I think its too hard, to the point Im not enjoyed anymore

Horizon Zero Dawn - nice game. but not as addictive as Prey to me. didnt finished yet though

ajim

Got this game and i seriously cannot get into it. The gunplay and tasking seems terrible this early in.

Any tips on how to make the game simpler or easier for myself to just get through the story, which seems interesting enough?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm currently going through the game.

Just reached the GUTS segment, that alone keeps this game from being anywhere a GOTY list. It's tedious, hideous and adds nothing of value to the game. It's terrible!

With that out of the way...
I can see why this game was very hit or miss.
I do like the atmosphere, soundtrack is probably my favorite of the year, the first 8 hours are indeed amazing, there are some cool powers, the looting and item management is very rewarding and well done.
The problem is, the moment to moment gameplay is simply not that fun. And because of that, whenever the game is nothing showing you something new, fresh and cool, it loses the appeal and becomes a little boring.
Enemies are some of the most boring and uninteresting I've seen this gen. Stealth is a joke. Surprisingly, I don't think the gunplay is as bad as some say, it's perfectly fine for a sim game.

Haha, GUTS section is the area where I stopped playing for a while. It felt annoying and uninspired to me. Reminds me of the hurdle that the Med Bay in Alien: Isolation was. That made me stop playing for a long time before I got back to it and beat it. Maybe it’ll be the case win Prey, we’ll see.

Typhares

Got this game and i seriously cannot get into it. The gunplay and tasking seems terrible this early in.

Any tips on how to make the game simpler or easier for myself to just get through the story, which seems interesting enough?

I got the same feeling from playing the game. I managed to put in what felt like some very tedious 3 hours before giving up.
I ended up watching the story cutscenes on youtube and that was enjoyable.

PeaceUK

Haha, GUTS section is the area where I stopped playing for a while. It felt annoying and uninspired to me. Reminds me of the hurdle that the Med Bay in Alien: Isolation was. That made me stop playing for a long time before I got back to it and beat it. Maybe it’ll be the case win Prey, we’ll see.

Most people dislike GUTS because they haven't figured out the easy way to deal with the tiny floating bombs. They react to movement, simply throw something in their direction and they will attack it and explode.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Will pick this up when the Enhanced X patch comes. I played the demo and was quite pleased.

Is the X patch confirmed ? Im wanting to play this but waiting for black friday to pick up a few games and been holding off to also play on the X if there is a patch.

Is the X patch confirmed ? Im wanting to play this but waiting for black friday to pick up a few games and been holding off to also play on the X if there is a patch.

You know what, I'm not sure. I was only guessing as it got a Pro patch. The game is not that old, is it?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Most people dislike GUTS because they haven't figured out the easy way to deal with the tiny floating bombs. They react to movement, simply throw something in their direction and they will attack it and explode.

My issue with it is cumbersome movement, mostly. I’m generally not a fan of zero-gravity sections in games anyway. I feel like the pacing is often compromised during these parts.

Manus

Picked this game up on Steam and I'm loving it so far. Only about a hour in. Does anyone know if their is any stealth sections in the game?

Chozo_Lord

Picked this game up on Steam and I'm loving it so far. Only about a hour in. Does anyone know if their is any stealth sections in the game?

There are no mandatory stealth sections. However the gameplay encourages stealth as it helps you save on resources, especially at higher difficulties.

Inuteu

There are no mandatory stealth sections. However the gameplay encourages stealth as it helps you save on resources, especially at higher difficulties.

I used zero stealth through the game

since you get the neuromod powers, I rarely used ammo anymore

Hostile_18

Banned
We'll I bought the game thanks to the OP despite not really liking the demo.

So glad I did. About an hour in something just clicks and it's honestly been an amazing experience. Deus Ex (pc) is my favorite game of all time and this reminded me of that. I'm glad Arkane are back on track as I felt a little let down by Death of the Outsider.

Day 1, full price for a Prey 2 😁

I thought this was excellent. The tension it creates is something I haven't experienced in many other games. Also, the difficulty level is quite refreshing.

The freedom the game gives to you is something else. It's a shame it wasn't more successful. Bethesda's review policy didn't help.

It really is. I loved every moment. It’s the smarty pants 2001 lovers wet dream BioShock FPS, complete with Shawn Elliot doing working on it. Got a real kick finding and searching the corpse of his friend Rory that he always talked about during the GFW days. Same with the body of Crispin Boyer lol.

Let’s not forget what will probably be known as Mick Gordon’s most underrated work.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
No matter how good this game is, I simply won’t play it because they killed the prequel which I really loved and enjoyed.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Of all the possible positions to take about this game, this has to rank pretty high among the silliest.

Take it as you want, doesn’t really matter to me.

I loved the first Prey, and waited for the sequel for years, just to see them misuse the name for some weird spinoff horror game that has nothing to do with the first.

It’s like saying it’s silly if Half-Life players won’t buy the third game if it ever comes, because it’s a racing game instead of a FPS.

Take it as you want, doesn’t really matter to me.

I loved the first Prey, and waited for the sequel for years, just to see them misuse the name for some weird spinoff horror game that has nothing to do with the first.

It’s like saying it’s silly if Half-Life players won’t buy the third game if it ever comes, because it’s a racing game instead of a FPS.
It's cutting off your nose to spite your face which is always pretty silly. Your choice, though.
Fucking right?

It's more akin to saying if Half-Life 3 came out and was called Haze 2, you wouldn't touch it because of preconceptions from the prior games in the series.

The Bethsoft shenanigans around this IP are bad, but this game is System Shock 3. Divorce yourself from your doubtlessly righteous rage and give it a try in a vacuum.

Darak

The game is amazing, but the IP was severely mismanaged. Giving it the Prey name was a big mistake. They essentially sent the game to the wrong audience.

The game is amazing, but the IP was severely mismanaged. Giving it the Prey name was a big mistake. They essentially sent the game to the wrong audience.
Human Heads Prey was very niche so I doubt the Prey name had any effect. Even if Arkane's Prey was called something else, it still wouldn't do well

Darak

Even if Arkane's Prey was called something else, it still wouldn't do well

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure it would have done better. The game is a System Shock spiritual sequel but the marketing message never recognized it as such. I'm a huge *Shock fan, and I loved the game immensely, but I missed its release window because the nature of the product never reached me.

Franchise names always carry a positioning message IMHO. Even if they are somewhat obscure or niche, they still have weight. The average Joe may never have heard the name, but reviewers and influencers probably did. Prey is a very old name in the videogames industry with a lot of connotations attached, and it doesn't fit a System Shock spiritual sequel at all.

Played this nonstop for like a week straight. Got near the end and then just stopped playing. Don't really like the late game at all. Felt like a chore at some point.

I think it's just too long. Probably never going back to finish it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Played this nonstop for like a week straight. Got near the end and then just stopped playing. Don't really like the late game at all. Felt like a chore at some point.

The late game in Prey with the spawning enemies is very misunderstood. At first I was annoyed as well but like with everything else in this game there is way to avoid it.

Not completely destroying the robots for instance (they stop spawning when a certain amount of them is in the area so it's important to not completely destroy the damaged ones) or you can just block to exit of the machine that spawn them.

To me this was one of the greatest things of this game. No matter what situation there was a solution to everything. Only the game doesn't just hand it to you but encourages you to experiment and then rewards you for that.

One of the greatest games I have played. Arcane really blew it out of the water and straight up topped System Shock 2 with Prey.

Last edited:
I definitely did NOT take the best from Deus Ex.

Or at least did a shit job aping it.

Source: Tried playing it. It was a fucking slog.

I find it hard to see how anyone could call it a “fucking slog” but opinions I guess.

It did recapture a lot of the atmosphere and engrossing mechanics of games like System Shock and Deus Ex so I did enjoy it.

But yeah the enemy design really managed to single handedly pull it down from greatness imo.

Sentenza

While there are indeed flaws in the end game (and in the enemy variety in general) I'd like to point that it's actually as long as you want to make it.
There's nothing inherently demanding in terms of time investment. In fact I've seen people argue for pretty much the opposite "("I rushed it a bit by the end and it felt so sudden").
The game doesn't actually force you to go through any mandatory passage, pretty much any piece of content in the final hours can be skipped at your discretion.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
While there are indeed flaws in the end game (and in the enemy variety in general) I'd like to point that it's actually as long as you want to make it.
There's nothing inherently demanding in terms of time investment. In fact I've seen people argue for pretty much the opposite "("I rushed it a bit by the end and it felt so sudden").
The game doesn't actually force you to go through any mandatory passage, pretty much any piece of content in the final hours can be skipped at your discretion.

Yep! You can reliably beat the game in like 3-4 hours - but my first run took around 20 because I just loved exploring the world.

Overall I *really* enjoyed the game and I hope they make a sequel and improve on the aspects that didn't quite work.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Prey was an excellent game, but I absolutely hated the weightless sections. They were unfun and an absolute pain.

SPeaking of Prey is there anyone reading this who completed the No Needles run on PS4, if so I have a question I'd like to ask via PM

Top Bottom