• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) is the game of the year no one played

beastlove

Really want to play this game but the frame rate on the ps4 is terrible and the PC version no longer has controller support. No idea why they would patch out controller support. And before anyone says it, yes I could play with a mouse but I prefer the controller.

I will be picking this and the rest of the Bethesda single player games I missed by BF. Want to support games like this while I still can.

black070

Really want to play this game but the frame rate on the ps4 is terrible and the PC version no longer has controller support. No idea why they would patch out controller support. And before anyone says it, yes I could play with a mouse but I prefer the controller.

The framerate issues were resolved with the latest patch as far as I'm aware - I haven't had any issues in my 20 hour playtime.

br3wnor

Oh man that really sucks and makes no sense. I play on a laptop, so much, much, much prefer controller for most games since I’m not sitting at a desk w/ nice KB/M setup. Is there any way to work around it and get controller working? Wanted to check this game out for sure.

The Dude

Absolute masterpiece, this game was so good from start to finish. I think it'll be a crime if Prey 2 doesn't happen.

Shchenok

Neo Member
The framerate issues were resolved with the latest patch as far as I'm aware - I haven't had any issues in my 20 hour playtime.

I can confirm they were fixed on PRO as well. It seemed okay at launch, then one of the patches messed the framerate and pacing up pretty bad, then the final patch seemed to fix everything.

I can confirm they were fixed on PRO as well. It seemed okay at launch, then one of the patches messed the framerate and pacing up pretty bad, then the final patch seemed to fix everything.

What happened was they were trying to fix the severe input lag on ps4, but mange to break the framerate when fixing it. But yeah, they were able to fix it a couple months ago.

Playing through this at the minute, and am 20 hours or so in.

Taking my sweet time with it, and it is definitely in my GOTY running.

I'm going all human for my first run - not sure this is a wise thing, and may come to bit me in the arse as I get further in, but feeling like it is working for me so far...

Decado

How is the shooting? As soon as I saw that your enemies are ink monsters I tuned out on this one. Does PC version support HDR?

Dueck

Banned
I felt the combat was janky, but literally all else was amazing. While it’s not my GotY, it’s still in the top 10 somewhere. The story and lore are very intriguing and I really like the world that was created.

I think Prey 2’s bounty hunter awesomeness became a detriment, as people seemingly wanted that instead...

Kas

It's probably my GOTY. I did a human only play through first, and it was tough as nails till I got the laser gun.

Then the game became a bit easier, but a hell of a lot more fun

phant0m

I played it, was great. I’d call it GOTY but BotW, HZD were ever so slightly better. Probably SMO as well.

Duxxy3

I played a couple hours of it. I liked the setting, but didn't like the combat. I'll go back to it at some point.

The Dude

Remember to its not classified as a shooter, it just has shooting elements. But I found the gun play to be decent, not great but decent... Again tho it's the immersion and exploration that is what it's built around.

Has there even been a mention of somehow a sequel happening?

How is the shooting? As soon as I saw that your enemies are ink monsters I tuned out on this one. Does PC version support HDR?
You can't zoom in and the enemies are pretty fast. I didn't like it at first, but it adds to the atmosphere and makes you really invest in not just using guns. You can run out of ammo real quick if you just start spraying.

Out of all the games I bought this year, I really loved this one. I wish they'd drop an expansion at some point.

Moldiver

Yeah, this game hooked me and finished it in like 3 sittings, loved the setting
I just wish they had introduced the stranded crew earlier than they did, made the ship feel more alive than lived in but empty

black070

Finally completed it, went the human only path - a very enjoyable experience dampened by ridiculously long load times between areas, making fleshed out side objectives a chore to complete.

Lady Gaia

I finally picked up Prey at this week’s discounted PlayStation Store price. The demo showed potential but I wasn’t 100% sold and the technical issues and lack of Pro support took all the urgency out of picking it up at launch. I’m very much looking forward to diving in but my backlog is deep and getting worse. Perhaps by the time end of year holidays roll around?

It can't be stressed enough for people potentially interested in this game that it's not a straight forward FPS.

I had initially tried the demo and approached it more like that and thought the combat was shit essentially. Something told me to give it another chance and I'm extremely glad I did. It's one of my favorite games since Bloodborne hands down, if not my favorite.

The reason I mentioned it not being an FPS basically is that you have to really use your wits and think outside the box, at least at the higher difficulty level I chose, and it's glorious when your plants come together. You can't really run and gun and the encounters should be approached more like puzzles with scanning revealing enemies' weaknesses to take advantage of.

I've set up some pretty elaborate and on-the-fly series of traps for phantoms when I barely had any ammo and it worked beautifully. Those moments in a game when shit actually works logically and you sit there thinking "oh wow...damn".

I had a very memorable encounter where I knew a higher level (forget which one) Phantom was a floor below me and I could see him moving about through the grating. I grabbed a turret from another room and set that up where I knew he would have to turn left if coming up the stair case. Next I picked up an explosive barrel and positioned it at the stair landing slightly below the turret ran downstairs and popped a pistol bullet into its back to aggro it. Jetted back up the stairs and shot one of the wall pipes for toxic damage, while he was being stunned by that hurled the barrel, ran further up the stairs and watched the turret finish it off as soon as it turned the corner upstairs.

This type of thing may not be everyone's cup of tea coming in with the false impression it's a regular FPS based on the trailers etc., but I have to say that the realization that shit like this works, and the subsequent constant implementation of it in other scenarios, had me cheering at the screen.

And yeah, Talos I is one of the coolest, most logical and well design video game location I've seen in a long time.

My biggest complaint are the loading times between areas. They truly are horrible and can get on my nerves to the point of considering if I should stop for the night before facing another one of those.

PS: I've also gone human-only so far. Will go crazy with powers on my second playthrough.

This team needs a crack at a new IP and be given better hype support. Prey was sent to die. These people worked very hard and the marketing just wasn't up to snuff.

Still need to finish it, but I agree that the game is really amazing. I think I was very close to beating it, maybe 5 hours left. Gonna try to finish it tonight. Sooo many games.

xVodevil

Damn... I really should finish this... I've played like 12 hours, but simply forgot about it sometime June... But I really enjoyed this System Shock like atmosphere, though it would be easily better, with some more horror elements.

Still getting around to play it soon. I'm still playing the hell out of Death to The Outsider, hahaha.

Shame more people don't like these games.

dlauv

I played it!

It's good, but the combat, unremarkable powers, broken quests, annoying enemies, and repetitive environments only served to take me out of it. They put so much work into a game that just doesn't play as well as System Shock 2 (which I played afterwards for the first time, lol) -- although it does make major strides in accessibility and does a good job packaging this kind of immersive sim experience to a more mainstream audience.

Top Bottom