• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Still early in, but is this game spoofing
HL?I mean, the test gone wrong, Morgan sounds like Gordon, the orange suite, the wrench. Even Morgan has a beard
Apologies if this was too obvious.

Game is getting interesting. At the beginning it felt like one of those games you've played before.

Ozium

HL?I mean, the test gone wrong, Morgan sounds like Gordon, the orange suite, the wrench. Even Morgan has a beard

Game is getting interesting. At the beginning it felt like one of those games you've played before.

not to mention the intro helicopter ride is like the train ride from HL

the wrench is a System Shock staple and seems like a shoutout to it

where does the demo end? I don't have a ps4 or xbox one, but am curious what was offered
After you reach Morgan's office and see the video, but then you can still roam around the lobby, do a side quest or two, etc. It was a pretty hefty demo, played it for three hours

Suit's red and a pretty direct reference to Kubrik's 2001. Wrench is a System Shock callback. Dude has stubble beard, not a goatee. Tests
aren't even remotely similar.

not to mention the intro helicopter ride is like the train ride from HL

the wrench is a System Shock staple and seems like a shoutout to it
in the sense that they're cinematic cutscenes where you've control of the camera? Sure. Game sure af subverts that quite god damn fast, tho. Would be a closer callback if we could see a G-man-like figure.

Chumley

Banned
I'm almost an hour in. This game seems fucking awesome so far, clearly inspired by Half-Life in the opening and I'm loving every minute of it.
Should I be able to figure out what the code is on the whiteboard? And how do you come across sidequests?

The "combat music" is some of the most ear-grating I've heard. Had to turn off the music audio for this (demo so not sure about the full game)

The "combat music" is some of the most ear-grating I've heard. Had to turn off the music audio for this (demo so not sure about the full game)
It's so hilariously loud with headphones, and also comes on when you're near radioactive materials which was real annoying in one section where I'd fucked around and thrown them everywhere.

It's so hilariously loud with headphones, and also comes on when you're near radioactive materials which was real annoying in one section where I'd fucked around and thrown them everywhere.

Everything is just turned up to 200%. I lowered it somewhat and still feel it's not enough.

I haven't seen a single shadow in the game with all the lights around. I wonder why? Maxed out on PC.

Elixist

the opening is such a great mind fuck. love it. and pc performance is solid, im diggin it. smashin shadows is actually pretty fun even (something that looked real disappointing in footage)

the opening is such a great mind fuck. love it. and pc performance is solid, im diggin it. smashin shadows is actually pretty fun even (something that looked real disappointing in footage)
The best part is
when you get to see how it worked when you press the buttons in the elevator or play with the sim settings. Makes the mindfuck seem even more impressive by showing you behind the curations

atpbx

There are literally achievements for pressing start in games. Prey itself has achievements simply for progressing through the story. If you honestly believe that all trophies or achievements are REAL achievements then you have a low bar for success. Killing all humans in Prey is not an 'achievement'. It is not difficult to achieve. It is not something to brag about. It's just a way they force shitty replayability into their game so you don't trade it after you beat it in your first weekend. And I don't like that.

This is an issue if you attribute any worth to in game achievements I suppose.

I don't and I've always thought they were a waste of time and inconsequential nonsense.

My bar for success is set at tangible real world meaningful goals, I just can't motivated on any level to chase trophies.

Spoo

9 hours in, and the only thing I feel like I'm missing from the games this is trying to emulate are the "Ohh, wow!" moments. Like, it has the exploration, and the little stories, and the environments themselves are interesting and all, but I haven't had a "holy shit" moment in 9 hours of play. The closest you really get to it is at the start, the big "reveal", and maybe the first time you
go outside
. Everything else is room to room searching, scowering for items, and encounters.

It makes the space station feel like, well, *less than* a place like Rapture, or other equally compelling areas in these sort of games.

Everything is "consistent", all of the designs are pristine, and nobody in the world has really had any time to turn them into something else (like a lot of Bioshock characters would). It's a design choice, for sure, I just think it loses some of those grand moments.

I'll play more tomorrow, maybe even finish it.

Tests going wrong is a sci-fi staple, not just Half Life. Morgan is a gender neutral name so they could have male and female protagonists. Suit is red. Wrench is from System Shock to which Prey is a spiritual successor, while Half Life had a crowbar. Beards are not a Half Life thing, and it's not even the same facial hair style.

That's right it was a crowbar in HL. I'll continue on with my play through.

Steam says I've played this for 83 minutes. Can I still get a refund?

Never mind, got it,

wandering

Banned
I like the little details in the apartment at the beginning that allude to Morgan's Chinese background, like the red envelope on the counter. Alex also has that distinctive slight accent of someone who grew up speaking both Chinese and English.

ymgve

So far the story hasn't blown me away, but I'm only up to the crew quarters. Things take time when you want to pick up every single little item in the game.

Also, I decided to go no alien powers for my first playthrough. I hope there's some payoff for doing that, because it seems like I'm pretty underpowered compared to the phantoms, even on Normal.

Anytime a game letd you pick up objects and throw them i cant take the game seriously. I just end up grabbing every object in the room and filling thr shower. Or taking the toilet paper to the roof and trying to land it on the helcopter rotor.

ryseing

Anytime a game letd you pick up objects and throw them i cant take the game seriously. I just end up grabbing every object in the room and filling thr shower. Or taking the toilet paper to the roof and trying to land it on the helcopter rotor.

Welcome to immersive sims.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, its an Arkane game alright and you can tell it by just looking at the design of UI, menus and animations related to them. Hell, even notes and books look similar. It's not a bad thing though, it's just you can clearly see who developed this game and feel right at home at the very start.

Haven't played beyond the first room (main character's apartament), need to go to work.

Varna

Seems like a pretty cool game so far. Just made it to the section that seems like the first "open" area.

Combat is nothing special but it's far from awful. Mimic thing could be interesting... we will see how inventive the game gets with it.

I do wish you could turn off all the visual assist but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I also started on the hardest difficulty, hopefully that doesn't bite me in the ass later.

Looks like there's a bug with my game, maybe a driver issue ( all up to date btw) with not having shadows.I checked some footage and there's shadows in their game but on my system there's none. Looks really weird. And reflections could be another issue too.

Pygrus

I don't regret buying the game at all. Only like 2 hours in but the level design has been superb so far.

The jump scares can be pretty cheap, but the fact a mimic can scare you then run off and turn into something totally different just to turn into something inside a cluster of other objects can be legitimately scary, especially when there are two and they bolt off in different directions.

I feel like I'm still in that honeymoon phase, but the beginning of the game is really impressive.

I don't regret buying the game at all. Only like 2 hours in but the level design has been superb so far.

The jump scares can be pretty cheap, but the fact a mimic can scare you then run off and turn into something totally different just to turn into something inside a cluster of other objects can be legitimately scary, especially when there are two and they bolt off in different directions.

I feel like I'm still in that honeymoon phase, but the beginning of the game is really impressive.

What if I could tell you it just gets better!

[/b]

What if I could tell you it just gets better!

stop_it_hellboy.gif

okp66FD.gif

Just got out of the initial rooms, and well.

giphy.gif

Overall, this game is a top to bottom system shock spiritual successor/remake/sequel just like Dishonored 1 and 2 were thief games. I honestly if the game even maintains the tone and implications of the opening throughout with the great mimic enemies, I'll be fucking ecstatic.

Vault 101

Loving it so far. Real bioshock dead space vibe. I never played system shock.

The whole feel is great, haven't had much combat yet but urgh the mimics get me recoiling

Wootball

I played about an hour of the demo and it didn't hook me at all. The combat felt really clunky and it just didn't captivate me to want to play more. Ah well, money saved I guess.

ISee

I played about an hour of the demo and it didn't hook me at all. The combat felt really clunky and it just didn't captivate me to want to play more. Ah well, money saved I guess.

I also didn't like the combat in the demo, hitting those mimics was a pain on ps4. It is way better in the PC version now for me, so if that's an option get the pc version. If not, the day 1 patch adjusted the sensitivity and acceleration curves on PS4. It should be better there too, but reports are inconsistent.

Stoze

Fully jumped in because I couldn't resist, about to clean out the Lobby like I did in the demo.

Fighting Mimics is way different on M&KB, can track them much easier and sniping them with the GLOO is easy peasy. Feels good man.

Is the super crazy loud combat music fixed?
It's way quieter in the mix, yeah. I had the music on like 20 in the demo and 60 here. It stops and starts properly as well so far.

Karak

By the end, that will be normal beans in comparison.

Top Bottom