• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

oh I've already bought it and it's in my Steam libarary, I'm just waiting for the unlock since I need to do things before I get immersed so I'm not vpning it because once I start to play I will play for hours lol

From what i played it definetly is more rpg heavy than bioshock. There's separate skilltrees that all seem to have their respective focuses and such.

Also: MANUALLY SORTABLE INVENTORY. GOTY

Spoo

bioshock is mainstream'd and has less focus on choices impacting gameplay,
no real character builds (from what I can recall you could get all the plasmids)
no inventory system (I may be wrong on this, can't remember but I don't remember having to juggle inventory space in it..)

overall system shock feels more 'rpg-like' and is an immersive sim, where bioshock feels more like an fps with immersive sim and rpg elements..

I enjoyed Bioshock but I didn't think it was as 'deep' as the previous shock games

I'm only 6 hours in, and I can't say for sure, but seeing as how you craft your own upgrades in this game, I imagine you can get close to unlocking all the things you want to unlock. If the only differentiating factor for you is inventory, then you can choose to think of it as a System shock-like game instead, but other than a bunch of trash items you turn into materials for crafting ammo and the like, your inventory is going to fill up with guns, ammo, healing items, and not a whole lot else. Whatever this game is, it's very mainstream; easy to pick up and play, and unlike Bioshock doesn't ever really require any big plans (thus far) for taking out the creatures (but I'm sure later in the game you can probably get crafty with your powers).

It doesn't feel particularly deep to me, or at least, no deeper than Bioshock. It does some cool things with its powers, but then, so did Bioshock. Bioshock might actually have a deeper set of skills in terms of how you can combine everything, I'm not really sure.

As for choices, can't really say. I've made maybe one choice so far that might have some kind of impact on the narrative? Unsure.

Bioshock is simply the closest comparison I feel comfortable making when I think about my time with the game so far. For most people that's actually a good thing :\

From what i played it definetly is more rpg heavy than bioshock. There's separate skilltrees that all seem to have their respective focuses and such.

Also: MANUALLY SORTABLE INVENTORY. GOTY

Def. Bioshock games felt like more shooters with light RPG elements. This is way more about exploration and skill tree selection. Combat is alright, serviceable but doesnt feel the focus.

sueil

So after a remake of system shock they are going to make prey underworld right? Then just make it open world say the size of great britain refine it a bit and add some mushroom trees and racism then eventually dragons. I'll take my payment in cash zenimax.

Really loving the game so far. I took a break and am just waiting for the official us release now. I knew arkane wouldn't let me down.

Kadin

Plays great on PC so far. Only about an hour in but very happy with the performance on Ultra with 4690k 8GB and a 1070 @ 1080p. The FOV could use an option to modify though...

Tovarisc

8h later I have been in 4 different areas of the station. I count them by that if there is loading screen between it's different area.

This will take a while, but also nice that backtracking is rewarded :b

Drewfonse

8h later I have been in 4 different areas of the station. I count them by that if there is loading screen between it's different area.

8 hrs in? Enjoying it? Is the story intriguing?

So where's the review thread?
It's out already here in Australia and it's ~25% off normal rrp for today only.
That sounds to me like they think it'll bomb.

Can you answer if enemies respawn when you revisit previous areas? In the demo it seemed that enemies do not respawn in the area you're in at least, but I'm conflicted on if I'd want that to apply to previous areas you've cleared out or if it would make backtracking feel a bit empty.

Those of you who have a Pro, how does the final version compare to the demo, IQ and controller input lag-wise?

I would also like to know this.

Cant see much different between demo and full release honestly. Id have to really compare the two to tell.

Can you answer if enemies respawn when you revisit previous areas? In the demo it seemed that enemies do not respawn in the area you're in at least, but I'm conflicted on if I'd want that to apply to previous areas you've cleared out or if it would make backtracking feel a bit empty.

Enemies dont respawn persay but things can trigger new enemies populating pre explored areas.

Roussow

Oh and considering I'm playing on PS4 I should weight in on the input lag thing.

I uninstalled the demo so it's hard to make a direct comparison, but playing the full release, I'm not really feeling much input latency (its probably there a little, I can barely feel it if so), there is wierd acceleration on the right stick though, like it's really fast, the default sensitivity is 2/10, and spinning in a circle while standing still is crazy quick, I might have to bump it down to 1/10 Nothing deal breaking for me so far, its not the best, but certainly servicable. I'll very likely get super used to it within the hour.
Please don't take this as gospel if you're super sensitive to this sort of thing though, I'd probably wait for analysis if its hypothetically super off putting.

Tovarisc

8 hrs in? Enjoying it? Is the story intriguing?

Yeah, liking it this far. Then I like games that let me explore quite freely and poke around while rewards you for doing it. Hard to say about story as I have basically not progressed it at all, but what there has been along with general world building it has me interested.

As you progress events new enemies get spawned into older areas. There is kinda narrative reason for it so it doesn't feel that cheap. For large part already cleared areas stay cleared.

M.W.

It says PS4 Pro enhanced on the back of the box. I'm looking right at it.
It's still installing or I'd have more to say about it.

Well people in this thread with a Pro have said there's no difference. Could be subtle resolution bump maybe?

Cant see much different between demo and full release honestly. Id have to really compare the two to tell.

Enemies dont respawn persay but things can trigger new enemies populating pre explored areas.

Yeah, liking it this far. Then I like games that let me explore quite freely and poke around while rewards you for doing it. Hard to say about story as I have basically not progressed it at all, but what there has been along with general world building it has me interested.

As you progress events new enemies get spawned into older areas. There is kinda narrative reason for it so it doesn't feel that cheap. For large part already cleared areas stay cleared.

All right thanks, that sounds like a good compromise to avoid cheap and resource draining respawns while still keeping backtracking interesting!

In the demo, I found rushing into combat wasn't very smart, and that often being strategic and cautious in combat was best. Setting up turrets outside rooms, setting up traps with canisters, using chokepoints and doorways to funnel enemies, preserving ammo until attacking is absolutely necessary, etc.

Those playing, would you say that the full game encourages that approach to combat as you encounter more and more varied enemies, as opposed to more aggressive shooter approach seen in the recent trailers

In the demo, I found rushing into combat wasn't very smart, and that often being strategic and cautious in combat was best. Setting up turrets outside rooms, setting up traps with canisters, using chokepoints and doorways to funnel enemies, preserving ammo until attacking is absolutely necessary, etc.

Those playing, would you say that the full game encourages that approach to combat as you encounter more and more varied enemies, as opposed to more aggressive shooter approach seen in the recent trailers

I'd say overall it encourages it, least 4 or 5 hours in. Cause ammo is scarce aside from crafting it. I'm always on the edge of needing health or more ammo. Maybe later it becomes Rambo in space but so far, not so much.

Tovarisc

More or less. I play on Hard and I want to set terms of engagements with enemies. That is only way to make sure you aren't wasting ammo as only reliable resupply is fabricators and having maxed out HP and armor is just a dream so even those are valuable resource.

This after 8h of exploring and looting of demo areas + 2 after that. I don't have resources to play it fast and loose like in normal FPS.

I know next to nothing about this game. Will this scratch the Deadspace itch?

Depends what Dead Space was for you. This doesn't have as intense atmosphere as DS1, but world building is very good and there is makings for interesting narrative.

Alright to illustrate the differences between System Shock and Bioshock for the people who are confused or haven't played them:

System Shock is an RPG that happens to be in first person.

To highlight this fact the first time I played the game 2 or 3 years ago, I built a character that was primarily based around Psionic abilities, Hacking. I got gun training as one of the first choices out of several in the beginning of the game that gives your character stats and abilities, training. These all are pretty neat choices that are accompanied by some neat visuals and some flavor text describing the duration of your characters training and what it was like.

I didn't know that in order to use that shiny pistol I got from one of the early choice proficiencies, I couldn't even fucking use because I didn't spec points into firearms use.

It was amazing the moment you enter a fight realizing you can only use a wrench to defend yourself. This also gets interesting when you interact with things in the environment without hacking ability, it is a vastly different experience.

Mind you this isn't a problem too much at first if you play the game stealthily because the game allows you to do it, and it isn't some hackneyed thing, it is yet another systemic layer. In this case the game plays similar to the Thief or Dishonored when you don't use powers and move slowly.

All throughout SS2 supplies are limited given what has happened on the Van Buren and later the Rickenbacker(bacher?Bocker?), so the game is very survival horror in that avoidance of enemies is a good idea to save resources(health, Psionic Energy, Various Ammo types, key cards, etc).

Also the UI and everything? That is actually part of the games systems and world lore. You have to open up your inventory, use items, examine things, play voice recordings or read emails or messages. You even get objectives occasionally through it, you level up your character in certain ways through it and physical terminals in certain parts of the world.

Most of the Van Buren can actually be traveled freely back and forth, it's a hub. I know because I got lost multiple times and found myself back at the start or in different areas I hadn't even been in before. The later levels get more and more linear and less mazelike in their complexity, this covers both verticality as well as just pure level space filled with rooms, threats, items, audio logs, etc.

Weapons degrade and break down, they can be repaired with repair kits, they can also jam causing you to have to go into your inventory menus(real time like dark souls if I remember correctly) to have to manually clear or repair them when they break.

Likewise if you find a broken weapon, have the skills and a repair kit to do repair it you can do that.

The psionic tree is complex and takes tons of points to invest in, all of the powers are pretty varied and are split into differing strengths, types, roles, etc. It's pretty indepth, and is yet another systemic part of the game that the enemies can also use against you.

The one thing I hate about SS2 is the alarm system and respawning enemies that Bioshock also mined for its design for some obtuse fucking reason.

Bioshock you can pretty much wield everything and do everything, BS2 even more so. I mean yeah you have RPG lite character development, and similar systemic gameplay that has been streamlined in comparison to how open natured SS2 and hell especially SS1 is in comparison to later entries.

There are parts of SS2 that are so dread inducing I can't even describe what is like to play through them. It's a great game with great antagonists with layers upon layers in the way the game world works and the game itself works for players.

The music in SS2 is fucking awful I turned that shit off after 30 seconds.

The sense of presence in games like Dishonored 1 and 2, Deus Ex, Thief1 and 2,SS1 and SS2, are all key things that the genre of immersive sims really define them. There is a living breathing world filled with possibilities within a semi linear story structure. The gameplay itself is nonlinear, the player really isn't restricted to doing things completely in a certain way and there are builds in the case of SS1 and 2.

Bioshock has no real inventory system, but copies most of the design philosophy of its predecessor which makes sense given the pedigree. There are no builds though, I mean sure there are ways to make weapon combos more effective, upgrade your powers but that doesn't really make your build any different. I mean SS2 has an entire defensive psionic ability page, going from memory.

Inventory management is something that is key in the game, that BS as a series avoids entirely. I mean research requires certain chemicals, parts of enemies, time, and if I remember correctly, skill levels. There were boons beyond a lore entry for researching enemies as well, in fact some primary objectives in the game require you to do science based stuff with chemicals and things and equipment to progress. Also, if you don't activate the revival chambers you die starting at your last save or quick save.

Bioshock 2 is a far better game than BS1, in every conceivable way and thematically supercedes the Randian hellhole capitalist science utopia gone wrong of bioshock with a wonderful Orwellian, 1984ish borderline Jungian Freudian facade over the dead and dying one. The Big Sisters were a great play and I loved how they turned out.

System Shock and System Shock 2 are more akin to something like Alien, a dubious company does dubious, evil shit to everyday people in the name of everyday profits in the future. There are tons of elements of what people call Cyberpunk in them that really defines them visually and the world around it, the systems, everything. Bioshock takes that approach more in aesthetics rather than systemic gameplay. The complexity just isn't there.

But BS1 and 2 both fail at really being SHOCK games, specifically SYSTEM SHOCK games and being true immersive sims.

The Looking Glass Studios games are perfect and hallowed for a reason, I mean I love Bioshock but as someone that played SS1 and 2 after playing Bioshock, the originals surpass the sequels in concept and execution, story, in just about every conceivable way.

Dishonored was was basically Thief: The Dark Project, Dishonored 2 was basically Thief 2: The Metal Age.

Prey is a system shock game through and through from what I've seen and read, it's wearing an old IP's skin but it looks and sounds to have that Immersive Sim genre gameplay, story, and everything I want.

The real System Shock 3 isn't here but I will gladly grade this new contender tonight fairly but accordingly because it gives no fucks about what it is, fans of the genre know what it is. I love Arkane, they have made some of the best games of the last five years with my favorite game only being toppled by Alien Isolation because I love the universe.

I don't know if it will click with the everyday joe, but if it is anything like SS2 you can dump points at a certain point to become a walking machinegun, pipe swing maniac on stimulants.
Will it be the a return to form for the genre? I don't know, Dishonored gave me hope, Dishonored 2 gave me reaffirmation, can they do it again with a new team?
I want to believe that maybe 2017 is completely awful, rotten to its core.

Maybe, just maybe Prey will be pretty fucking alright, even if it wasn't the Bounty Hunter game.

It's taken me awhile to really come around on the idea of this game but really, what can we lose? This game has the potential, and I've felt that about a lot of the different games Bethesda has published, stuff like The Evil Within, Wolfenstein: The New Order and Old Blood, the Dishonored series, and DOOM 4 have all turned out to be excellent.

I can only hope to find out in a in roughly an hour and a half. :p

shiba5

Hmm... gotta be honest, I can't tell what enhancements the Pro has. I downloaded the patch and it looks pretty much like the demo. The input lag is fixed though - at least enough that I don't notice it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright to illustrate the differences between System Shock and Bioshock for the people who are confused or haven't played them:

System Shock is an RPG that happens to be in first person.

To highlight this fact the first time I played the game 2 or 3 years ago, I built a character that was primarily based around Psionic abilities, Hacking. I got gun training as one of the first choices out of several in the beginning of the game that gives your character stats and abilities, training. These all are pretty neat choices that are accompanied by some neat visuals and some flavor text describing the duration of your characters training and what it was like.

I didn't know that in order to use that shiny pistol I got from one of the early choice proficiencies, I couldn't even fucking use because I didn't spec points into firearms use.

It was amazing the moment you enter a fight realizing you can only use a wrench to defend yourself. This also gets interesting when you interact with things in the environment without hacking ability, it is a vastly different experience.

Mind you this isn't a problem too much at first if you play the game stealthily because the game allows you to do it, and it isn't some hackneyed thing, it is yet another systemic layer. In this case the game plays similar to the Thief or Dishonored when you don't use powers and move slowly.

All throughout SS2 supplies are limited given what has happened on the Van Buren and later the Rickenbacker(bacher?Bocker?), so the game is very survival horror in that avoidance of enemies is a good idea to save resources(health, Psionic Energy, Various Ammo types, key cards, etc).

Also the UI and everything? That is actually part of the games systems and world lore. You have to open up your inventory, use items, examine things, play voice recordings or read emails or messages. You even get objectives occasionally through it, you level up your character in certain ways through it and physical terminals in certain parts of the world.

Most of the Van Buren can actually be traveled freely back and forth, it's a hub. I know because I got lost multiple times and found myself back at the start or in different areas I hadn't even been in before. The later levels get more and more linear and less mazelike in their complexity, this covers both verticality as well as just pure level space filled with rooms, threats, items, audio logs, etc.

Weapons degrade and break down, they can be repaired with repair kits, they can also jam causing you to have to go into your inventory menus(real time like dark souls if I remember correctly) to have to manually clear or repair them when they break.

Likewise if you find a broken weapon, have the skills and a repair kit to do repair it you can do that.

The psionic tree is complex and takes tons of points to invest in, all of the powers are pretty varied and are split into differing strengths, types, roles, etc. It's pretty indepth, and is yet another systemic part of the game that the enemies can also use against you.

The one thing I hate about SS2 is the alarm system and respawning enemies that Bioshock also mined for its design for some obtuse fucking reason.

Bioshock you can pretty much wield everything and do everything, BS2 even more so. I mean yeah you have RPG lite character development, and similar systemic gameplay that has been streamlined in comparison to how open natured SS2 and hell especially SS1 is in comparison to later entries.

There are parts of SS2 that are so dread inducing I can't even describe what is like to play through them. It's a great game with great antagonists with layers upon layers in the way the game world works and the game itself works for players.

The music in SS2 is fucking awful I turned that shit off after 30 seconds.

The sense of presence in games like Dishonored 1 and 2, Deus Ex, Thief1 and 2,SS1 and SS2, are all key things that the genre of immersive sims really define them. There is a living breathing world filled with possibilities within a semi linear story structure. The gameplay itself is nonlinear, the player really isn't restricted to doing things completely in a certain way and there are builds in the case of SS1 and 2.

Bioshock has no real inventory system, but copies most of the design philosophy of its predecessor which makes sense given the pedigree. There are no builds though, I mean sure there are ways to make weapon combos more effective, upgrade your powers but that doesn't really make your build any different. I mean SS2 has an entire defensive psionic ability page, going from memory.

Inventory management is something that is key in the game, that BS as a series avoids entirely. I mean research requires certain chemicals, parts of enemies, time, and if I remember correctly, skill levels. There were boons beyond a lore entry for researching enemies as well, in fact some primary objectives in the game require you to do science based stuff with chemicals and things and equipment to progress. Also, if you don't activate the revival chambers you die starting at your last save or quick save.

Bioshock 2 is a far better game than BS1, in every conceivable way and thematically supercedes the Randian hellhole capitalist science utopia gone wrong of bioshock with a wonderful Orwellian, 1984ish borderline Jungian Freudian facade over the dead and dying one. The Big Sisters were a great play and I loved how they turned out.

System Shock and System Shock 2 are more akin to something like Alien, a dubious company does dubious, evil shit to everyday people in the name of everyday profits in the future. There are tons of elements of what people call Cyberpunk in them that really defines them visually and the world around it, the systems, everything. Bioshock takes that approach more in aesthetics rather than systemic gameplay. The complexity just isn't there.

But BS1 and 2 both fail at really being SHOCK games, specifically SYSTEM SHOCK games and being true immersive sims.

The Looking Glass Studios games are perfect and hallowed for a reason, I mean I love Bioshock but as someone that played SS1 and 2 after playing Bioshock, the originals surpass the sequels in concept and execution, story, in just about every conceivable way.

Dishonored was was basically Thief: The Dark Project, Dishonored 2 was basically Thief 2: The Metal Age.

Prey is a system shock game through and through from what I've seen and read, it's wearing an old IP's skin but it looks and sounds to have that Immersive Sim genre gameplay, story, and everything I want.

The real System Shock 3 isn't here but I will gladly grade this new contender tonight fairly but accordingly because it gives no fucks about what it is, fans of the genre know what it is. I love Arkane, they have made some of the best games of the last five years with my favorite game only being toppled by Alien Isolation because I love the universe.

I don't know if it will click with the everyday joe, but if it is anything like SS2 you can dump points at a certain point to become a walking machinegun, pipe swing maniac on stimulants.
Will it be the a return to form for the genre? I don't know, Dishonored gave me hope, Dishonored 2 gave me reaffirmation, can they do it again with a new team?
I want to believe that maybe 2017 is completely awful, rotten to its core.

Maybe, just maybe Prey will be pretty fucking alright, even if it wasn't the Bounty Hunter game.

It's taken me awhile to really come around on the idea of this game but really, what can we lose? This game has the potential, and I've felt that about a lot of the different games Bethesda has published, stuff like The Evil Within, Wolfenstein: The New Order and Old Blood, the Dishonored series, and DOOM 4 have all turned out to be excellent.

I can only hope to find out in a in roughly an hour and a half. :p

Prey has the inventory management down and is more complex then Bioshock in that regard. The character development however is much simpler, you can wield any weapon without issue, there are no skills, it's just mods that let you do stuff. The character progression is pretty much a carbon copy of Deus Ex Human Revolution/Mankind Divided.

I'm enjoying it, it's quite good, but System Shock it is not.

Kadin

Anyone else notice on the PC version that your mouse movement sensitivity drops quite a bit when you're sprinting? Don't see that I missed a setting but I definitely have to move my arm a lot more to pan around while running versus walking.

Anyone else notice on the PC version that your mouse movement sensitivity drops quite a bit when you're sprinting? Don't see that I missed a setting but I definitely have to move my arm a lot more to pan around while running versus walking.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Hmm... gotta be honest, I can't tell what enhancements the Pro has. I downloaded the patch and it looks pretty much like the demo. The input lag is fixed though - at least enough that I don't notice it.

This game should honestly be hitting 60 FPS on the pro if the DEVS werent lazy.

shiba5

Very nice that they fixed the music. I think the atmosphere is way more intense than when the attack music was blasting all the time.

epmode

Yeah, that's a somewhat common side effect of FPS games designed around controller input. I'm kinda surprised Arkane left it in since they did a pretty good job with mouse/keyboard.

I can't help but wonder why this game and Dishonored 2 both had/have input latency issues on PS4 to begin with. Is it an issue with the dev team?

Top Bottom