• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Shari

I wish someone would mod out the shitty jump scare sound everytime a mimic turns, its fucking cheap and I wont take it for 20 hours.

Aside from that, the game is amazing. I've also got the half life vibes 😯

robotrock

Banned
How?

I have Prey 2017 pre-loaded and I ahve prey 2007 installed and it is playable. so when the new one is available what will happen to the old one?

Preloads are in a different directory until they are unlocked, and then they'll be unpacked into the proper location in steamapps

I wish someone would mod out the shitty jump scare sound everytime a mimic turns, its fucking cheap and I wont take it for 20 hours.

There's a Psychoscope chipset that allows you to put a marker on any Mimic mimicking as an object.

Keep in mind that chipsets are randomized per playthrough.

I like it because the game punishes me for being impatient, lol.

Shari

There's a Psychoscope chipset that allows you to put a marker on any Mimic mimicking as an object.

Keep in mind that chipsets are randomized per playthrough.

Your point being? Does it prevent the sound? Does it work for every mimic that uses the same previously scanned object?

If I have to scan every object in every room is going to get old fast.

I like being surprised as soon as I let my guard down which happens surprisingly often but I hate the jumpscare sound, so cheap.

If you want to have both the old and new Prey installed just make a new library for Steam and install/move one of the games to it. Libraries are managed in options and if you go to the properties of a game that's installed there's now an option to move it to a different library. Can also choose what library to install it to when installing a game, but if you've already preloaded it may be too late for that.

Drewfonse

It seems like people are really enjoying the final release, really nice to see. Meaty SP games like this just don't come around often enough.

I'll be playing on the Pro it as soon as Amazon delivers it.

Spoo

Can anyone who is playing tell me where the fuck the
danielle sho voice
pick up is?

edit: Nevermind.

Moff

3 hours done, finished for the first evening

very good game, great level design, rewarding exploration through nanomods, crafting material (which lets you craft anything basically) and weapons.

but I really don't like the enemies, never liked the design of them in previews and don't like them in the gameplay.

robotrock

Banned
So, pc turned out fine?

Haven't had my hands on it yet but it seems really great performance wise judging by the PC performance thread. Something like 100+ FPS at very high settings 1080p on a 970.

Heard some stuff about weird audio glitches though but not too sure if that's an exclusive problem for the PC version or not.

Karak

Silly question, how does Karak know what's going later on the game if there are no review copies? Did he get it retail waaay before time?

Just curiosity, ACG is my go-to outlet for reviews so if he's hyping, I'm hyped.

Can't wait to get home a VPN the shit out of steam to....wait 30 min until it unpacks.

Nope just a couple day before yesterday

ThankeeSai

Played for 3 hours on Xbox One.

Man...I'm loving this game. It's like Bioshock crossed with Deus Ex and a bit of Half Life (ish).

Been some surprising sections and some cool mechanics that were fun to discover.

Solid game so far. I'm just about to
view the 2nd part of the video
. Saved it just before though and will carry on tomorrow.

Impressed so far and can't wait to play again tomorrow night.

nOoblet16

This is a very good game but it is less open ended in terms of "immersive simmness" than both Dishonored and Deus Ex. Like you have alternate paths but then on the other hand, often the game will also funnel you quite a bit and make you go around to get a keycard in order to progress from one area to next. Those two are actually quite contradictory elements in an immersive sim, this is because when there is only one way to do it "finding the key" becomes more important than "getting through the door". (If you've seen any of Warren Spector's talks then you'll know exactly what I am talking about).

Also fuck jump scares...this game isn't even scary which is why jump scares accompanied with loud sudden music gives me heart attacks.

This is a very good game but it is less open ended in terms of "immersive simmness" than both Dishonored and Deus Ex. Like you have alternate paths but then on the other hand, often the game will also funnel you quite a bit and make you go around to get a keycard in order to progress from one area to next. Those two are actually quite contradictory elements in an immersive sim, this is because when there is only one way to do it "finding the key" becomes more important than "getting through the door". (If you've seen any of Warren Spector's talks then you'll know exactly what I am talking about).

Also fuck jump scares...this game isn't even scary which is why jump scares accompanied with loud sudden music gives me heart attacks.

Link me to this talk!

Spoo

After 6 or so hours in, I kind of feel like if this game will be remembered for anything it'll be that it's the best Bioshock game *not* called Bioshock and not made by Ken Levine. Which, honestly, is not a bad thing -- as there are actually some really great ideas, executed properly here -- but probably the worst thing about the game is the combat; something that was true in the demo, and is still true even at 60 fps with no input latency. And I feel like combat is actually encouraged in this game, even if it's not always necessary, so it's kind of encouraging a not great experience on that front.

The exploration, environments, flow of the game, and a lot of little details are great, and elevate this to a buy for basically anybody who likes Bioshock. That it's not as good as those games isn't really a big enough deal to say no to it, when it does enough right so far.

I'm hoping things will get a little more interesting (and I expect they will), but I'd still put it in *recommend* category for now, at least on PC.

nOoblet16

I actually haven't played System Shock 2, but how open is that game compared to Deus Ex and co?
I haven't played System Shock either, primarily cause I am waiting for the System Shock 2 remake. I am not touching the old games because really cannot be arsed playing with the early-mid 90s gameplay.

But I have played Bioshock and compared to that it is extremely similar, the level design is similar to that game with mid sized areas connected with various corridors. But you have more optional areas to go into, it's also similar in that combat feels boring after a while.

Roussow

Picked it up at retail for $62 at Big W in Aus (PS4), which is a good fucking price day 1, came with the code for the shotgun too, not sure if that's meant to be a preorder thing or what, but hey it's a positive.

I guess im wondering if the game has surprises or if its pretty predictable in how it plays out. Aliens, upgrades, and special powers.

I feel like if its just a bioshock clone with looting, shooting, upgrades, and powers i can skip this until its cheap.

nOoblet16

Link me to this talk!
Here is one.

https://youtu.be/m_VN4V_BsH8

At some point he should mention how he finds it odd that games are focus on locking a door for which you have to find a key and finding it becomes the driving factor and he mentions how he doesn't care how the player goes past a door, all he cares about is that the player goes past it..however they want. He doesn't feel that the developers have to micromanage how a player achieves a goal in order to build gameplay because if they just provide the player with tools then the player's will find the gameplay on their own.

Hexer06

Haven't gotten this game yet but I sure plan on it when I get the funds. Top tier OT title! Best one I've seen in a long time. Props to whoever came up with that. :D

robotrock

Banned
there are substantial differences between bioshock and system shock though.. and hearing it is like bioshock is worrying me

What bugs you about bioshock over system shock

give us the details and we'll let you know if there's a chance you'd dig this

Stoze

That's less of a contradiction and more of what happens when you have systemic and non-linear game design paired with linear storytelling and mission design required to beat the game. All of them suffer from this imo, but I think it's easier to hide it in Deus Ex and Dishonored, since those are typically solitary levels instead of interconnected, persistent areas (the hubs being exceptions).

Ozium

What bugs you about bioshock over system shock

give us the details and we'll let you know if there's a chance you'd dig this

bioshock is mainstream'd and has less focus on choices impacting gameplay,
no real character builds (from what I can recall you could get all the plasmids)
no inventory system (I may be wrong on this, can't remember but I don't remember having to juggle inventory space in it..)

overall system shock feels more 'rpg-like' and is an immersive sim, where bioshock feels more like an fps with immersive sim and rpg elements..

I enjoyed Bioshock but I didn't think it was as 'deep' as the previous shock games

Varna

Forgot to ask one vital question before buying this damn game... can you turn off the helper features and is the game designed in a way to facilitate this playstyle?

Stoze

bioshock is mainstream'd and has less focus on choices impacting gameplay,
no real character builds (from what I can recall you could get all the plasmids)
no inventory system (I may be wrong on this, can't remember but I don't remember having to juggle inventory space in it..)

overall system shock feels more 'rpg-like' and is an immersive sim, where bioshock feels more like an fps with immersive sim and rpg elements..

I enjoyed Bioshock but I didn't think it was as 'deep' as the previous shock games
You should get this game, I think you'll be pleased.

Ozium

You should get this game, I think you'll be pleased.

oh I've already bought it and it's in my Steam libarary, I'm just waiting for the unlock since I need to do things before I get immersed so I'm not vpning it because once I start to play I will play for hours lol

Top Bottom