• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Input lag isn't fixed and no pro support. I am such a fucking idiot with my money for pre-ordering this..

Well... Yeah, man. Kinda.

Curious: do you do this with any other product/service, i.e. get a preview of a completed iteration, find out that it's broken in a way that matters to you, yet still trust the developer to fix it?

That I see the bones of a decent game here is keeping me vaguely interested because of the mediocre controls; how that can make you plonk down the price of admission is pretty crazy to me. It's not like the game's going to be taken off shelves in a week.

That being said, I get the power of hype and anticipation. I just hope it works out for the both of us.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's rounded up, so "1 hour" means between 1:00 and 1:59hrs. I think it will say "approximately less than an hour" or similar when it's between 0min and 59mins.

It's actually unintentional as "... approximately less than an hour" was supposed to replace "... approximately 1 hour", not be added in front of it. Valve's aware of the issue but last I bumped my ticket, there was still no ETA.

The worst part fo me is how most games and writers give big importance to Cthulhu when it was just a big monster originally and literally trash compared to actual Great Old Ones.

Well yeah, I mean Shub is even more powerful and arguably the Mi-Go and Elder Things are even more powerful than Cthulhu because the Elder Things kicked the star childrens ass several times and that was while dealing with Shoggoths uprising and fucking POLYPS.

Cthulhu is an edgy fucking shitlord compared to the rest of Lovecraft's deities.

Corpekata

Banned
All this
Lovecraft
talk seems like it should be in spoiler tags. I did not want to know that.

I am pretty sure the posters are talking about the fact the poster posts about the topic like in OT a lot, not that it's connected to the game.

Lovecraft talk is not related to the game guys. Calm down please I wouldn't post spoilers to a brand new game without spoiler tags.

ufo8mycat

So I see the PS4 version still has input lag. So what exactly is the reason the PS4 version has this issue but XBONE does not? It's the same code right?

Also it seems the developers blantently lied about fixing the issue and I'm sure there were people on the fence on grabbing the PS4 version, then hearing it's fixed, so then they decided to buy it for PS4 and find out it's not fixed. How is this not illegal and yet developers get away with lying about their products instead of being sued. What a great industry.....

I guess I'll just wait to see how the PC version turns out.

Posted this in the other thread, but here were some of the more interesting replies from the dev team's AMA yesterday

How often are we going to be encountering human enemies? Are there lethal and nonlethal ways of dealing with them? Also are there narrative choices and consequences based on what we do?
Yes, there are nonlethal ways of dealing with any human survivors (or enemies) you encounter. As for narrative choices, absolutely.
For the people who worked on both Dishonored 2 and Prey, What were the most striking differences for you in terms of the game design and development?
That's a very tiny subset of people (like 2 maybe) and none of them are here today. But having worked on Dishonored 1 and Prey, I can tell you a few things: Prey is more open-structured experience vs Dishonored mission approach. Prey has more 'classic' RPG features (inventory, maps, lots of skill trees, etc), whereas Dishonored is more focused around being an assassin.
How long is Prey, in terms of hours played?
Kind of depends on how you play. People who've tested the game for us have taken anywhere from 16-24 hours to finish the main story path. Gary, our animation producer, took something like 34 hours to play the game.
I wanted to know how the team goes about creating such non-linear and explorable spaces, what design influences or priorities shape the level design? Did having to conform the game to a space station create any benefit or disadvantage in contrast to the more arbitrarily defined city streets of Dishonored?
We started with some high-level constraints like: this is a space station, the player can backtrack, things can be done in different order, a loose overarching plot / goal for the player). Then loooooong (but fun) brainstorming and planning sessions with level designers to come up with interesting spaces, problems to solve, encounter vignettes and so in. It's like an old dot matrix printer - we keep making passes over it until a solid picture emerges.
How was it designing the exterior of Talos 1? Pretty large from the size comparison chart I saw! Can't wait to explore it in Zero-G!
The Exterior was a beast. There were early researches done to start defining the style...but it definitely was influenced as the layout of the interior of the station came together. It was also a technical challenge - since it's roughly the length of 8 football fields :)
On the plus side, the zero-g and large size give it a special ambiance and makes it a really different experience from the rest of the game. There are some unique encounters and exploration opportunities scattered everywhere, you can get lost out there for hours.
Are there going to be more conventional weapons that we haven't seen yet?
Depends? Which ones have you seen? I'm pretty sure there are weapons that haven't been viewed in any of the twitch feeds yet, yes.
Got three questions about Prey for you guys:
-Will objects permanently stay where they are placed, whether it be on the ground or stashed in a cabinet?
-If you go through a loading zone, will enemies respawn in previously cleared out areas?
-Is it possible to explore everything without any alien powers, or do you at least need Mimic?

1. Yes, if you stash something, it will remain in place. There are some good spots in your office to place things...
2. Sometimes. It depends on what is happening on the station and how long you've been gone.
3. You should be able to go everywhere without using alien powers. It won't be EASY to go everywhere, but afaik, it is possible.
What are some other works of fiction you drew inspiration from?
Some of us read some classic works like the novel Solaris, or the some of Robert Heinlein’s stories, like The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. But, I’d add that a TON of inspiration came from actual science and history.
I know that Prey was inspired by sci-fi film. What movies inspired the the game, and how were the inspirations implemented in the game?
For the art department we found Kubrick inspiring. Pacing, lighting, mood, tension, framing - there's a lot of mastery to be found in his films.

Paragon

It's actually unintentional as "... approximately less than an hour" was supposed to replace "... approximately 1 hour", not be added in front of it. Valve's aware of the issue but last I bumped my ticket, there was still no ETA.
Is it really so difficult for them to just publish the unlock time?
A countdown would be preferable, but why not just say that it's going to unlock at 1am?

Lovecraft talk is not related to the game guys. Calm down please I wouldn't post spoilers to a brand new game without spoiler tags.
Ah okay, I thought that was related to whatever Karak had been teasing in the demo thread.

Mifec

They have streamed PC version 2.. 3? days in row in every streaming event of the Prey and it has ran really well.
Oh shit, nice, didn't know that.
Well yeah, I mean Shub is even more powerful and arguably the Mi-Go and Elder Things are even more powerful than Cthulhu because the Elder Things kicked the star childrens ass several times and that was while dealing with Shoggoths uprising and fucking POLYPS.

Cthulhu is an edgy fucking shitlord compared to the rest of Lovecraft's deities.
giphy.gif

how can a pro mode not exist?
it's not actually mandatory.

Great OT title. Legit laughed when I saw it.

Have this pre-ordered for PS4. Really digging the aesthetic and Bioshock/System Shock vibe. Haven't had a chance to play the demo due to trying to finish up Persona before this arrives tomorrow.

That being said, I don't know what I've gotten myself into. Mimics always scare the bajeezus out of me and I'm excited to play a game where they're the primary enemy? What is wrong with me?!

ced

Retail. Got the day1 patch, yet the input lag is visible disturbing. Also doasn't look like any pro enhancements are in effect. Maybe another patch tomorrow or today. So far its a pain.

They never did downsampling for Dishonored 2 did they? Not sure if they will even bother for this.

Tovarisc

1h until PC release, or?

Tried to VPN and game remains locked, but then Steam Store is still Finnish one and not NZ or Australia.

My initial impressions of the demo were pretty negative, which was a huge bummer because it feels like this game is custom-made for my tastes.

Took another crack at it last night and ended up playing through the entire thing and then just wandering the area. The game really does get much better once things start to open up more. It's definitely a game you don't want to rush through.

The combat and enemies are definitely still the biggest weakness, hopefully once the player abilities start to expand it gets more fun. The graphics and sound design are also surprisingly weak compared to other modern first-person games (though the music is great), especially considering how much better Dishonored 2 looks. That said, I found that once I started getting more immersed in the world I didn't mind the weaker production values as much.

Overall, I went from "no way" to "will probably pick up." Glad I gave the game more time to open up.

Raptor

There was a little hint in the demo that I hope pans out in a big way, and if it does, I can see why Karak would say the later game is a "wow" and might not just be compared to System Shock

Im on this thread because
I read in the other therad this will turn into cosmic stuff like BB
, Im just waiting for confirmation lol.

Dont know if I had to spoiler that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol that company guy came here and lied to us about the input lag fix.

I cannot believe someone would just straight-faced lie on the internet.

GavinUK86

Which VPN and country are you using? I've tried 3 different AUS servers with Express VPN but I'm still getting 9 hours for some reason.

The time usually doesn't change in Steam. It never does for me anyway. But as long as your VPN is on it'll download everything once it unlocks.

Lol that company guy came here and lied to us about the input lag fix.

I cannot believe someone would just straight-faced lie on the internet.

Maybe he didn't? There's a lot of things to consider. Stop calling people liars.

Ricker

No mention of how long this game is if you do all you can do ?...wont waste a rental if its like a 20 hour or more game...

Marcel

Shame there's conflicting information and opposing reports about the input lag on console, if it will actually be fixed and so on. I guess I'll wait until more reactions come trickling out.

Truant

I really hope they nail the KB+M controls. I actually prefer to play single player FPS games with my X1 Elite controller, but this game just screams KB+M with the wrench combat and fast enemies.

Top Bottom