• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Mifec

I really hope they nail the KB+M controls. I actually prefer to play single player FPS games with my X1 Elite controller, but this game just screams KB+M with the wrench combat and fast enemies.

and the way they do computers and panels.

Mifec

Oh nice...

This is from their AMA yesterday

How long is Prey, in terms of hours played?
Kind of depends on how you play. People who've tested the game for us have taken anywhere from 16-24 hours to finish the main story path. Gary, our animation producer, took something like 34 hours to play the game.

Haano

Why is the retail price so low?
Going at £27.99 for game and dlc.

Is this an indication that the game isnt very good?

komplanen

Is the PS4 demo worth playing at all? I heard it has horrible input lag. I'm on the fence about this game. Also does the demo offer a save feature in the end or will I have to play that part again if I buy the full game?

But then why remain silent about it?

No clue, maybe they planned on having a patch ready with the enhancements but it's been delayed.

Dishonored 2 had Pro enhancements but not downsampling for 1080p owners. You basically got the same performance as 4k TV owners but without any of the IQ benefits.

Yeah I own a 4ktv so it doesn't affect me, but it sucks that super sampling isn't system wide

Antifaith

Neo Member
Really disappointed to hear that the latency issues haven't been fixed in the PS4 version, even with the update.

I might just cancel my preorder and either pickup the Xbone version or just hold off buying the game at all.

Which really sucks because I love everything else about the game, but can't get used to those controls. :(

Based on the PS4 streams, the combat music is A LOT less intrusive and properly mixed now.

It seems like the first few encounters had the 'surprise: jump scare!' queue, but it appears to not be the case during regular play a bit further in as far as I can tell.

I still hope you can turn it off altogether, or I guess just turn the music way down/off, but it certainly seems better than in the demo.

GavinUK86

Why is the retail price so low?
Going at £27.99 for game and dlc.

Is this an indication that the game isnt very good?

Price is not an indication of quality.

In this case, cdkeys are always cheap. Instant Gaming is another cheap site.

PC games are usually decently priced, unless they gouge you like Activision.

Just be thankful.

malfcn

Don't forget the free steelbook from Bestbuy.

PREY-STEELBOOK.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Which VPN and country are you using? I've tried 3 different AUS servers with Express VPN but I'm still getting 9 hours for some reason.

I live in Australia, so I don't need to worry about using one in this case. As far as free AU/NZ VPNs are concerned, though:

There's not much in the way of free AU/NZ VPNs [that aren't FlyVPN]. VPN Gate comes to mind, though as the "servers" are the PCs of volunteers, there's no guarantee that an AU/NZ server will be available; and VyprVPN offers a free three-day trial, but you must remember to cancel within 72 hours as otherwise you'll be charged.

With regard to your countdown timer issue, it's tied to your store region, not your IP. If you see an AU/NZ option here, then Steam has detected an AU/NZ IP.

TheRed

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage is playing Prey on PC atm, in demo areas still so if you want check out performance without major spoilers check him out.

Looks good. I've definitely noticed some fps slowdown but for the most part looks very smooth. Looks worth my $35 on cdkeys and I'm sure my PC will brute force this better than it even did with Dishonored 2 if it has issues. That game seems much more demanding than this one.

Sevenfold

I live in Australia, so I don't need to worry about using one in this case. As far as free AU/NZ VPNs are concerned, though:

With regard to your countdown timer issue, it's tied to your store region, not your IP. If you see an AU/NZ option here, then Steam has detected an AU/NZ IP.

Thanks yeah I clicked your link earlier and saw Australia as an option. Proceeded to make up a BS address then read that I could only change it back after a month, so didn't click lol. Thought Aus may have been there from an earlier VPN but good to know I'm all good.

No embargo. Reviewers aren't getting advanced copies though, so probably don't expect them to roll in until next week.

Codes went out today actually for most so yeah dont expect tons of reviews but expect streams, hands on, etc all dumping asap.

JaseC

Thanks yeah I clicked your link earlier and saw Australia as an option. Proceeded to make up a BS address then read that I could only change it back after a month, so didn't click lol. Thought Aus may have been there from an earlier VPN but good to know I'm all good.

Yeah, you don't need to worry about changing your store region... well, unless something has changed since I last used a VPN to unlock a game. We'll find out in a few minutes. ;)

Edit: Prey's pre-purchase Steam Store sub has been updated with the data depots it was missing. Thanks, gstaff!

nOoblet16

and the way they do computers and panels.

I love the way they do it in this game from the streams I took a peek at.

Reminds me of DOOM 3 and how no one used that sweet panel tech.
I thought the same...BUT you can click L3 (or was it R3??) and you zoom in and align yourself so that the entire screen is visible at once (like how screens look in Deus Ex) and you just move a mouse cursor like you move the cursor in Destiny's menu.

Pretty intuitive, but if you don't want to zoom in then it's very annoying to use on a controller.

Mifec

I thought the same...BUT you can click L3 (or was it R3??) and you zoom in and align yourself so that the entire screen is visible at once (like how screens look in Deus Ex) and you just move a mouse cursor like you move the cursor in Destiny's menu.

Pretty intuitive, but if you don't want to zoom in then it's very annoying to use on a controller.

I saw that option on the first screen and it was still inferior to mouse driven controls, especially with the horrible input lag.

JaseC

Wait what? I thought the PC version was unlocking 12am EST globally instead of unlocking at different times depending on regional time.

Bethesda said 12am ET worldwide originally, but changed its mind a few days later and created a schedule.

Zutrax

Is anyone currently playing the PS4 version who can comment on just how much they fixed the input lag issue? They said they fixed it in the full version from the demo, but the comment itself felt like they tweaked some settings to make it more tolerable rather than removing it altogether.

I'm nervous because I chose it over the PC version for convenience sake and will feel pretty bummed if this issue still exists.

Top Bottom