• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Is there a type of side quest system or anything, or just straight up main story mission gogogo
Sidequests (some by Chris Avellone. He also helped design side characters, main story missions, and main character arcs)

It's an RPG/shooter. Think System Shock, Deus Ex, etc.

Jb

I actually have to say I find the fact you can't turn off HUD elements like waypointers, and other shit that's counterproductive to a game about exploration, to be a bigger wrench in the gears than the control issues.

Wait you can't? That's so weird considering Dishonored 2 allowed you to individually turn off every element of the HUD.

I feel like a bunch of people are waiting for those reviews to drop at midnight.

I've been on complete blackout with this one, so I know I am. I'm feeling froggy, but I'm not going to jump without at least knowing it's fairly solid.

I feel like a bunch of people are waiting for those reviews to drop at midnight.

I've been on complete blackout with this one, so I know I am. I'm feeling froggy, but I'm not going to jump without at least knowing it's fairly solid.

What reviews? There were no advance codes sent out. I don't think anything is dropping tonight

Wanderer5

Can't wait. Will probably be getting some gaming gift cards for my b-day tomorrow to get it, unless it tumbles big time or such heh.

There's side-quests in this game. Some of them involve the survivors who are in Talos I

Does this game ever let you breathe or relax a bit?

That was always my issue with System Shock/Bioshock, it is always one disaster after another, one enemy after another. No time to chill. You never even get to meet another non-crazy human being face to face!

Spoiler tagged answer obviously for those who don't want to know.

edit: I'm quote Rex specifically here but my answer is more general for anyone who has played the game.

Wait you can't? That's so weird considering Dishonored 2 allowed you to individually turn off every element of the HUD.

According to a current player's post in the PC Performance thread, there are no HUD options like objective markers etc.

There's also a screenshot posted in response that perfectly illustrates the stupidity of this. A dark-ass room you're exploring with a giant white marker in the middle with your objective's name and (XXm) distance below it. Just fucking no guys...please hopefully they patch in options to remove this. The game is about exploration.

And yeah, even Dishonored 1 letting you disable each HUD segment on its own basically made me think this was kind of a no-brainer for this game.

Skulldead

Does this game ever let you breathe or relax a bit?

That was always my issue with System Shock/Bioshock, it is always one disaster after another, one enemy after another. No time to chill. You never even get to meet another non-crazy human being face to face!

Spoiler tagged answer obviously for those who don't want to know.

edit: I'm quote Rex specifically here but my answer is more general for anyone who has played the game.

Compare to System Shock 2, enemies don't seem to re spawn SO it should not be a problem here. But at same time this was only from the demo, i can't talk about further in the game.

Compare to System Shock 2, enemies don't seem to re spawn SO it should not be a problem here. But at same time this was only from the demo, i can't talk about further in the game.

I don't think enemies re-spawn either.

I've gone back to areas I previously explored and there weren't any new/revived enemies or anything.

Karak

When's your review coming out? I'd love to see what you have to say about it (hopefully good stuff mostly :v).

Probably tonight as I am now testing the PS4 and PC versions as well for a bit of comparison. PC is giving some of us shits right now though. So...its slowing it down

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Goddamтit. After using VPN Steam is now telling me this:

B6NH87Q.jpg
I've uninstalled everything that is VPN related already. Is there a way to fix this now?

aravuus

So I assume I should be splitting all the trash I pick up? At first I found stuff like plastic tubing and frayed wire and I figured it'd be a trade-off - either craft something out of these, or split them for some weird materials.

But now I'm finding baseball gloves. And literal trash from garbage bins. Can't think of anything you'd craft from those.

Dude. Game is a collectors wet dream... pick up everything lol

Also can't tell you how many toilets Ive flushed. Ha.

Been throwing (e: and hitting them of course, can't risk anything) stuff around like a maniac during my first hour lol. I love it when games have lots of movable objects scattered around, even if the physics engine is... Something else in this.

So I assume I should be splitting all the trash I pick up? At first I found stuff like plastic tubing and frayed wire and I figured it'd be a trade-off - either craft something out of these, or split them for some weird materials.

But now I'm finding baseball gloves. And literal trash from garbage bins. Can't think of anything you'd craft from those.

Been throwing stuff around like a maniac during my first hour lol. I love it when games have lots of movable objects scattered around, even if the physics engine is... Something else in this.

The junk and a lot of items you pick up in your inventory can be recycled into fabrication materials to craft a lot of useful items (ammo, medkits, weapons, etc...)

Mirror tech or complete lack of it is mind boggling, some of the worst of this era. Aliased, not accurate, horrifying.

Weird because I've seen helmets and other objects that seem to reflect the environment and you can move them around and it'll change

Anno

Probably tonight as I am now testing the PS4 and PC versions as well for a bit of comparison. PC is giving some of us shits right now though. So...its slowing it down

As in performance on the PC version? Or just odd computer troubles? Most of the early reports seem to show the PC port is solid but obviously everyone is early game.

aravuus

The junk and a lot of items you pick up in your inventory can be recycled into fabrication materials to craft a lot of useful items (ammo, medkits, weapons, etc...)

Oh haha, splitting in the inventory just meant stack splitting. That's such a weird option to have.

But yeah, thanks, I'll be breaking everything down then.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
License packageID 163116

I'm from Russia and I've activated steam key for RU region.

Yeah, therein lies the problem -- you can't unlock the game early as the package you activated is runtime-restricted. To complete the region change back to RU, follow the same core steps as before: log out of the mobile app (if necessary) and change your password.

Truant

Absolutely loving this with KB+M. The navigation and combat just clicked for me.

Alan, item placement is different in the main game. No early shotgun.

Shifty

Aight, second quesion.

If I get this game, will I end up being attacked or otherwise betrayed by a shelf?

I don't understand the thread title.

Aight, second quesion.

If I get this game, will I end up being attacked by a shelf?

There's a a Typhon enemy called Mimics takes the form of any inanimate object.

The title is a play on "Trust no one. Not even yourself"

GAF, help a guy out.

I'm very much interested in the game, but I didn't like the combat/enemies I saw in those hour-long previews that got uploaded to YouTube a couple weeks ago.

Does the combat improve? New enemies?

murgo

Yeah, therein lies the problem -- you can't unlock the game early as the package you activated is runtime-restricted. To complete the region change back to RU, follow the same core steps as before: log out of the mobile app (if necessary) and change your password.

Hey JaseC, do you have any idea why I can't even connect to the Steam network while connected to my VPN? Is there a chance they've blacklisted the IP's or something? As soon as I close OpenVPN it connects within seconds.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Thanks a lot, man! Everything works now (^__^)

JaseC

Aight, second quesion.

If I get this game, will I end up being attacked by a shelf?

Nah. It's not a literal reference to the game but just a play on words; an alteration of the meme "Trust no one, not even yourself" so it acts as a nod to the fact that the mimics in the game can assume the form of inanimate objects.

Edit: I'm slow.

GAF, help a guy out.

I'm very much interested in the game, but I didn't like the combat/enemies I saw in those hour-long previews that got uploaded to YouTube a couple weeks ago.

Does the combat improve? New enemies?

As you get alien powers and more weapons, the combat becomes much more open.

And yes, there are more than just Mimics and Phantoms in this game.

rtcn63

There's a a Typhon enemy called Mimics takes the form of any inanimate object.

The title is a play on "Trust no one. Not even yourself"

Can mimics actually become shelfs tho?

Anyways, people can always make up their own OT titles, i.e. |OT| Stalking Talos-1, Mimicking Praey

Still considering the CDkeys deal seeing as the PC performance seems good.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Really excited to get this. Have to wait a week since first off, I'm close to beating Persona 5, second, my SO wants to get me it for our anniversary next week. It's nice to see that it's running well on PC :)

It feels so, so much better with a mouse and keyboard. True System Shock 2 successor wooooot

They should implement mouse scroll and clicking for computers tho

JaseC

Hey JaseC, do you have any idea why I can't even connect to the Steam network while connected to my VPN? Is there a chance they've blacklisted the IP's or something? As soon as I close OpenVPN it connects within seconds.

It's certainly possible that Valve maintains a blacklist of frequently-used VPN IPs considering how far it has gone to discourage the VPN-assisted activation of gifts. Have you tried other services? FlyVPN's 20-minute session limit may be too short a window given how slow the free servers are, however there are a wealth of Asian servers on VPN Gate and VyprVPN is very solid (just remember to cancel your free trial within 72 hours so you're not charged).

aw man I have no idea what skills to level up. Anyone found any skill particularly useful early game?

Hacking is a good start.

Can mimics actually become shelfs tho?

Anyways, people can always make up their own OT titles, i.e. |OT| Stalking Talos-1, Mimicking Praey

Still considering the CDkeys deal seeing as the PC performance seems good.

Like JaseC said, its a play on "Trust no one. Not even yourself"

And Mimics only assume the form of inanimate objects that isn't bolted down (Basically cups, cans, toilet paper, chairs, etc...)

Top Bottom