• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

So many god damned load screens in the back half of the game. Maybe it's just an xbox one issue, but fuck bros. So many load screens and for a crazy amount of time too. Might be the worst I've experienced.

Yep. Same here on PS4.

It really disturbs the flow of the endgame. Load screens generally don't bother me but Prey certainly steps over that threshold by a significant amount.

Otherwise. I love this game. It's brilliant.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hurry up with the next patch, Arkane! And for Christ's sake fix those hostile NPC and broken quest timers this time. I still haven't finished this game because of this shit.

so I can't save
rani
because I can never find the
her note at the door
, even though I killed the
telepath
by killing it from the rooftop ,the quest still fails :(

Yep. Same here on PS4.

It really disturbs the flow of the endgame. Load screens generally don't bother me but Prey certainly steps over that threshold by a significant amount.

Otherwise. I love this game. It's brilliant.

Couldn't agree more. I think I spent more time in the load screens than I did actually playing during the last 15-20% of the game.

munroe

Just tried using the stun gun on an unpowered terminal and it doesn't work, the gun is fully upgraded also

so I can't save
rani
because I can never find the
her note at the door
, even though I killed the
telepath
by killing it from the rooftop ,the quest still fails :(

What note? I just stun her unconcious and then kill the telepath

Skulldead

Couldn't agree more. I think I spent more time in the load screens than I did actually playing during the last 15-20% of the game.

Yeah the fact that you became so agile at the end you can get to other door in less then 15 second. Make really the last segment a real pain when doing sidequest.

kliklik

Banned
Ya Poltergeists are like mischievous kittens. The levitating I don't mind. If they didn't chuck furniture at me I wouldn't kill them.

bati

This game is fucking hard! I am upto
data storage
now and I am finding it damn impossible!

First game of this type for you? I'm on Nightmare, just reached the same spot and I'm plowing through enemies. No points in alien stuff, only human.

Crew Quarters spoiler I guess:

Do I have a bug when I enter there for the first time? Soon as I load in the nightmare attacks me and there isn't much I can do, it one hit kills me. It's like it just spawns in right in the door way. I did make one successful run like crazy but it still immediately caught up and killed me

Just leave the area and wait it out.

Small detail that I like. When exploring the space outside Talos, I found a guy on one of the rotating screens.
I hacked the terminal, and nothing happened so I was bummed. Then I saw the hacked sign, which was cool. Then later you find some emails of his talking about the warning people.

Small detail that I like. When exploring the space outside Talos, I found a guy on one of the rotating screens.
I hacked the terminal, and nothing happened so I was bummed. Then I saw the hacked sign, which was cool. Then later you find some emails of his talking about the warning people.

HOW DID YOU GET TO HIM. I made an abortive attempt to get to that body but the billboard moves faster than you can fly
even with the second jetpack upgrade you get off the guy who was fired but hadn't actually left Talos I
and there's nothing to grab onto that's close enough to examine the body, if you try to wait for the billboard to come to you like I did.
Also I didn't even know there was a terminal to hack up there, I have no idea how you'd manage to stay connected to it long enough to do anything!

HOW DID YOU GET TO HIM. I made an abortive attempt to get to that body but the billboard moves faster than you can fly
even with the second jetpack upgrade you get off the guy who was fired but hadn't actually left Talos I
and there's nothing to grab onto that's close enough to examine the body, if you try to wait for the billboard to come to you like I did.
Also I didn't even know there was a terminal to hack up there, I have no idea how you'd manage to stay connected to it long enough to do anything!

Trial and error. You can actually move faster than the sign, it's just that if you bump into it your speed will decrease. This is without the jetpack upgrade. The terminal is at the back of the sign, but towards the top. For the terminal, you just have to be quick and select the prompt when it pops up. What I did was speed up to the back of the terminal and get close enough without touch the sign. Sometimes I would pull a bit ahead, but it seems easier to get if you keep pace with the sign. Also, note that there are 2 signs, the one with the body on it is the only one that can be hacked.

Trial and error. You can actually move faster than the sign, it's just that if you bump into it your speed will decrease. This is without the jetpack upgrade. The terminal is at the back of the sign, but towards the top. For the terminal, you just have to be quick and select the prompt when it pops up. What I did was speed up to the back of the terminal and get close enough without touch the sign. Sometimes I would pull a bit ahead, but it seems easier to get if you keep pace with the sign. Also, note that there are 2 signs, the one with the body on it is the only one that can be hacked.

I don't see how. My speed was constantly locked to 1.5m/s except for a) using moving platforms or bouncing off conveyor belts to steal momentum and increase my speed (but this only worked in G.U.T.S., I couldn't do this with the moving billboard itself), and b) random points where somehow I managed to get up to 1.75 to 2m/s somehow; I think the game may have glitched at points when I tried to fire multiple thrusters at once. Trichording like in the old Descent games (ex. fire the up thruster, left thruster and forward thruster at the same time) don't seem to increase your speed normally. So I'm clueless as to how you're supposed to catch up to the billboard.

I don't see how. My speed was constantly locked to 1.5m/s except for a) using moving platforms or bouncing off conveyor belts to steal momentum and increase my speed (but this only worked in G.U.T.S., I couldn't do this with the moving billboard itself), and b) random points where somehow I managed to get up to 1.75 to 2m/s somehow; I think the game may have glitched at points when I tried to fire multiple thrusters at once. Trichording like in the old Descent games (ex. fire the up thruster, left thruster and forward thruster at the same time) don't seem to increase your speed normally. So I'm clueless as to how you're supposed to catch up to the billboard.

You increase speed the same way that you run in the game. you can reach 9.99m/s. On ps4 you need to press down and forward on R3.

You increase speed the same way that you run in the game. you can reach 9.99m/s. On ps4 you need to press down and forward on R3.

There is not a facepalm emoji big enough to express my shock at how dumb I am. I honestly never tried this. The whole game I just assumed I was locked at 1.5m/s. Oh my god.

There is not a facepalm emoji big enough to express my shock at how dumb I am. I honestly never tried this. The whole game I just assumed I was locked at 1.5m/s. Oh my god.

Don't worry, I think there was another person that did the same earlier. It happens to the best of us.

Let us remember that God of War 3 'glitch'. Poor Zeus.

bati

What exactly is randomized in this game besides the key codes for some locks? I started a fresh run and got completely different suit modules so far (one of which was stamina regen and it's so good that I'm considering a wrench spec). I'm pretty sure that I got different enemies in some rooms as well.

Vexii

Spoilers regarding the "Green Dot":

So. Wow. That green dot really got me there, and ironically I seem to remember it might have even been featured in the initial trailers.

One question though...

Is that dot supposed to be visible through the world? I could spot it all the way from Materials Processing (or whatever it's called.) I genuinely can't figure out it it's a glitch or not, but either way, the game did a splendid job of making me follow it.

I did record it all and post it to YT for those who want to relive an abridged version of those events. What a ride.

https://youtu.be/i_V019zTh_A

A song by Miracle of Sound inspired by Prey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaoAMMK1cGs

Amazing. Really fits the tone of Prey as well.

What exactly is randomized in this game besides the key codes for some locks? I started a fresh run and got completely different suit modules so far (one of which was stamina regen and it's so good that I'm considering a wrench spec). I'm pretty sure that I got different enemies in some rooms as well.

Suit and Psychoscope chipsets are randomized. Loot you pick up on corpses (Be it Typhon enemies or dead crew members) are randomized as well

jem0208

Finally picked this game up, got the steel book edition from Game for £30 so I'm pretty happy. Excited to finally see what all the fuss is about!

Finished the game after 35 hours doing most side-quests and some thorough exploration. I really enjoyed my time here. Best game I've played so far this year.

Some criticism:
- resources should be more scarce
- a lot of loading screens
- more enemy variety would be welcome

basically make the game more difficult and accentuate the horror vibe because once you cross from weak human into unstoppable machine territory the game loses quite a bit of its charm.

Li Kao

Is the plot / writing good ? I mean I understand that the game is fun already but it would be nice to know that the story is solid.

GavinUK86

I love how no-one on the ship knows what a Reployer does.

Including the guy whose computer password was "ReployerReployer". I cracked up.

lol yep. And the guy who was very thankful he got one for his office, but apologetically doesn't know how to use it.

I like that the devs don't know either. It's just a thing they created that has no purpose lol.

Spoilers regarding the "Green Dot":

So. Wow. That green dot really got me there, and ironically I seem to remember it might have even been featured in the initial trailers.

One question though...

Is that dot supposed to be visible through the world? I could spot it all the way from Materials Processing (or whatever it's called.) I genuinely can't figure out it it's a glitch or not, but either way, the game did a splendid job of making me follow it.

I did record it all and post it to YT for those who want to relive an abridged version of those events. What a ride.

https://youtu.be/i_V019zTh_A

No that's a bug.

Is the plot / writing good ? I mean I understand that the game is fun already but it would be nice to know that the story is solid.

Very solid. It's pretty minimal in storytelling but the station is well thought out and the world is well built.

kliklik

Banned
I like that the devs don't know either. It's just a thing they created that has no purpose lol.

Ha, I see it as a joke by the devs about mysterious sci-fi props with scientific-y names whose function is never explained. They're just there to sound complicated and advanced.

Also, Vexii, I wasn't aware that cats could play video games. Thanks for proving me wrong =P

d00d3n

It is pretty incredible how deep the optional paths go after psychotronics. You can spend 15-20 hours just going down the rabbit hole. I just got to the power plant at the 25 hour mark, so I will probably have played for 30 hours when I continue with the main story in the arboretum ... The developer did not cheap out on content!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I wish the nightmares wouldn't spawn as soon as you enter a new area, most of the time they are right at the area door.
The main problem with Nightmares in my opinion is that they are just to big and can't hunt you down like Alien in Alien Isolation. And they are also extremely stupid and very easy to kill.

How much more is there to the main quest once
Dahl and his military operators
show up?

Not much.
Once you meet Alex in his safe room after dealing with Dahl and his Operators, its the point of no return. It should take an hour or two till you finish the main quest

How much more is there to the main quest once
Dahl and his military operators
show up?

You're in the final part of the game. Just note that shortly after the
Dahl situation has been taken care of and computer access is restored
you'll be reaching the point of no return. After that, it's about 30 minutes tops.

Col.Asher

That must be some shitty luck. I've never had one spawn when I enter a new area. Can nightmare spawn in ZeroG? That would be interesting.

every time accept once, they are always near the door for me.
The main problem with Nightmares in my opinion is that they are just to big and can't hunt you down like Alien in Alien Isolation. And they are also extremely stupid and very easy to kill.

I agree with this but it can be irritating when you go through two loading screens just to be kurb stomped outta no where then back to the two loading screens.

mbpm1

That must be some shitty luck. I've never had one spawn when I enter a new area. Can nightmare spawn in ZeroG? That would be interesting.

That's happened all the times I encountered a nightmare on a floor.

The first time I was just trying to go back to the lobby right after getting a typhon power and it was just there.

At least I confirmed that the nightmare can indeed go up the staircase to your office.

Almost every time I've run into a Nightmare, it hasn't been right by the door but it's been pretty close. In my experience you have maybe 15 seconds to prep your shit before it attacks (and sometimes much less--I had a Nightmare attack me at the entrance to the bridge, which is not a large area in general). That said, the Nightmare always telegraphs its position because it's always aware of your presence, and so you get the "enemy in your vicinity is aware" UI somewhere near you. It's really obvious unless you've also aggroed some normal enemies right by the entrance.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I agree with this but it can be irritating when you go through two loading screens just to be kurb stomped outta no where then back to the two loading screens.
Hehe, well, no, i don't mean it like that of course. It's just the main purpose of Nightmares in the game is to hunt you dawn, but they can do this properly cuz they are huge, can't go anywhere they like and you can kill them easily from a high point or by just using stealth. Also, what's the point in timer if you can just go to new location and Nightmare can't go looking for you in there? So stupid))))

dlauv

I beat it. I liked the ending, but the back half's combat is really lame. I don't know how they managed to make alien powers so boring to use. Maybe it's to fit with the utilitarian subtext of the game.

Hopeford

Just started yesterday. Holy shit, I've not had this much fun with a game in a while. I'm fairly early on and I was supposed to go to my office or something, then I decided to check if I could backtrack.

I could, so I did. Then I used the glue gun to hop to the second floor, which hadn't occurred to me at first. Then I hacked a door on the second floor. Then suddenly I'm deep into the volunteers' area and have no clue how I got here.

I just love that the game lets you go nuts with exploration so, so very much.

MoonGred

Finally got around to finishing the game, overall I really enjoyed it but the story has some pacing issues in my opinion, for the last 5 hours of the game I had a feeling it was going to be over, but it just kept dragging on.

This wasn't made better by the fact that both the save Alex and Dahl quests bugged out on me and reloading an earlier save didn't help either. Probably my biggest gripe with the game, I had no intention of blowing up the station but it was the only ending that wasn't bugged.

bosseye

I love this game, but I'm not finding the enemies to be very effective (if that's the right word). I really like the mimics, I think they're a great idea but stuff like the various phantoms do nothing for me. I find their teleport movement obnoxious, they're completely not scary, a bit dull to look at, no body horror or anything to really unsettle. They just wander around getting in the way, they just don't inspire any real emotions in me other than mild irritation. When I think of the emotional response I had to the creatures in say, Deadspace, Prey's are a bit limp. The Nightmares are especially rubbish.

Ive uninstalled this. The combat is so, so fucking bad. I cant handle it. The gloo gun is absolute shit and its pretty much the only thing you can use early on. I have no desire to see anything else this game has to offer. Awful combat, lame story, weak enemy design/encounters, ugh. Disappointed.

Instro

Finished it tonight ~34 hours total, great game.
Saved everyone, minimal typon powers, was pretty much a god by the end, so while Hard mode started somewhat difficult, if petered off later in the game. The ending was rather abrupt. I wasn't surprised by the ending, as I had figured it out from the breadcrumb in Danielle Sho's office in the recording between her and Morgan and implanting typhon with human attributes or whatever it was. It wrapped up rather nicely all in all though, I wish there had been a way to save January.

I feel like this game would be less enjoyable on consoles btw. The combat feels much more geared towards PC players, especially early on.

Top Bottom