• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

sigh, nothing about the frame rate or the stick drift on PS4, the only things bothering me with the game

Played it for the first time the other day and yeah, lol, drift is a bit insane.... and this is coming from someone who would always set deadzone to zero in games if i had the choice

Timeaisis

Good Lord I just got like a billion side missions after getting to the
Arboretum
. Should I keep pressing forward or will I need to backtrack to hit all these? The map of where I can and cannot go gets a little confusing.

I finished my first playthrough tonight, played it on hard and stuck to human abilities exclusively and I am just so impressed with this game. This game has filled me with so much hope for what games like this can be going forward, something that I thought would be a lost cause as BioShock, Eidos-Montreal's Deus Ex, and even Arkane's Dishonored have left me feeling like the experience was a compromise.

And while I've always respected System Shock 2's design tenets, I never actually liked System Shock 2 all that much itself with its samey corridors, and hard slant towards survival horror. This game is the System Shock I always wanted.

Between the music, the art, the area designs, the atmosphere, the mobility I had, the smart means the game allowed all the junk you collect to actually amount to something, the encounter designs, being able to spec out your character how you want, the options I found available to me, and actually having secondary characters that I'll snoop e-mails and audio logs about and then care and have an actual grasp on their personalities (this is perhaps a first for me).

This game is a special one for me, and it's something I wrote off very early on as I just expected it to be another BioShock, but I am so happy with how wrong I was. I did run into a handful of glitches, lost an inventory item or two, had weird NPC interactions, even had a point where a slot on my weapon hotbar just stopped working and I could no longer use the weapon attached to it regardless of what I did (EMP grenades, so thankfully nothing too important), but even still it's been easy to look aside for the kind of experience I got out of it.

I plan on diving back in and trying a run without neuromods.

Trouble

Banned
Just finished it, great game. Might pick it back up again for another round if they patch in New Game+.

I did all the sidequests I found except the stupid
smuggler
one.

I found the ending(s) a little meh, but I kinda ruined it by cheesing my way to
Alex's escape pod
basically as early as possible in the game.

Also, Nightmares ain't shit. Meet this fully upgraded shotgun, sucka.

Wow, that ending.

Got no kills and I completed the game in the most empathetic way possible. No typhon powers.

What a ride, my final time with the game was close to 60 hours.

Moreche

I've just started playing this on PS4 and I'm in the first room but I've an issue were I get an on-screen message to press triangle to open a drawer but unless I have it on a certain point, it doesn't search the drawer.
Anyone else?

Kazuhira

This is pretty much me right now,damn paranoia.
D7p_TEQw79_Jfia_J4_V6c9_Eb_LPk_O7s.gif

I love this game.

bati

I got to Psychotronics yesterday and I think this might be one of my favorite games of all time. I LOVE that I have to resort to things like throwing gas tanks at enemies on Nightmare. The game really rewards a curious and observant player who knows how to stack the odds in his favor. In Bioshock I never felt like I had to use the environmental traps but here they are crucial.

kliklik

Banned
I've just started playing this on PS4 and I'm in the first room but I've an issue were I get an on-screen message to press triangle to open a drawer but unless I have it on a certain point, it doesn't search the drawer.
Anyone else?

Not quite the same but my friend had flickering prompts on PS4 that were hard to press. Reinstallation of the game data fixed it.

Djostikk

Ok, started my No Needless run. Going to be interesting to see how long it will take to rush through the main missions. My first playthrough was 35 hours. Wish me luck!

A.J.

Banned
Wow, playing this game without the PS4 demo input lag and with good audio mixing makes all the difference. I'm really enjoying my time so far.

This game is damn good. Arkane is probably my favorite developer at this time. Their design principles and style are just perfectly aligned with what I want in my games right now.

Ok, started my No Needless run. Going to be interesting to see how long it will take to rush through the main missions. My first playthrough was 35 hours. Wish me luck!

Does
using Alex's Escape pod as part of the December quest
count as game completion for the achievements/trophies?

I'm renting through Redbox and am trying to finish the game in the next couple days--can someone tell me how far I am in the main campaign? I just
finished exploring the crew quarters and got the voice code for deep storage
. Feels like I'm maybe 75% of the way there? Really enjoying it!

I'm renting through Redbox and am trying to finish the game in the next couple days--can someone tell me how far I am in the main campaign? I just
finished exploring the crew quarters and got the voice code for deep storage
. Feels like I'm maybe 75% of the way there? Really enjoying it!

I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm in the same place and someone said I was half way there.

Finished it in 19 and a half hours (
I chose to destroy Talos 1
). What an amazing ride, that was.

I know what I'm about to say is gonna be fanboyish, but Prey 2017 is by far my favorite Arkane game and one of most favorite games I've played. Hell, its an amazing love letter to LGS and System Shock.

burgerdog

Beat this game last night. I'm floored by how fucking amazing it was. I never watched any pre-release videos, read any media or what have you. Zero expectations and it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played. I went in hoping it was as good as Bioshock and it's on whole other league.

Time to feel sad because the game is apparently bombing(at least in UK, right?)

No, it doesn't, but it gives you the achievement for
escaping
. It also spoils the
"true" ending
a bit.

I'm super close
to a real ending but I did try escaping to see what would happen.
I have some theories about what is really going on based on things I've seen.

Anyone know if this is significant to what is going on. No details please haha.
Everyone's calendar says like February 23 2035 but in Morgan's quarters the date on her/his TV is in March. Maybe everyone just stopped flipping their calendar's during the outbreak. I don't trust these devs when it comes to things like this. They make me think about everything.

Beat this game last night. I'm floored by how fucking amazing it was. I never watched any pre-release videos, read any media or what have you. Zero expectations and it turned out to be one of the best games I've ever played. I went in hoping it was as good as Bioshock and it's on whole other league.

Time to feel sad because the game is apparently bombing(at least in UK, right?)

I think it will have some legs with word of mouth. I skipped out on playing the demo and I'm super glad I did because the intro is top notch.

OBias

I'm super close

Everyone's calendar says like February 23 2035 but in Morgan's quarters the date on her/his TV is in March. Maybe everyone just stopped flipping their calendar's during the outbreak. I don't trust these devs when it comes to things like this. They make me think about everything.

Morgan's quarters are supposed to be a few years before the present time, because his memory was rolled back to the time when he was about to transfer to Talos-1 as his neuromods were removed for the experiments. You should know this if you are that far into the game, so this isn't a spoiler.

I'm super close

I think it will have some legs with word of mouth. I skipped out on playing the demo and I'm super glad I did because the intro is top notch.

March 15th is basically the date where Morgan relives the same day over and over due to the Neuromod tests. My guess that in reality, it was also the day where she was hired aboard Talos 1.

February 23rd is basically the date where you find things has gone to shit due to the Typhon outbreak on Talos 1

Morgan's quarters are supposed to be a few years before the present time, because his memory was rolled back to the time when he was about to transfer to Talos-1 as his neuromods were removed for the experiments. You should know this if you are that far into the game, so this isn't a spoiler.

March 15th is basically the date where Morgan relives the same day over and over due to the Neuromod tests. My guess that in reality, it was also the day where she was hired aboard Talos 1.

February 23rd is basically the date where you find things has gone to shit due to the Typhon outbreak on Talos 1

Well there's the sim quarters you break out of and the real ones (I think) in the Crew Quarters area. It wouldn't make sense for the Crew Quarters quarters to have the simulated date because you're not simulating anything at that point. Unless i missed something on the way.

OBias

Well there's the sim quarters you break out of and the real ones (I think) in the Crew Quarters area. It wouldn't make sense for the Crew Quarters quarters to have the simulated date because you're not simulating anything at that point. Unless i missed something on the way.

Ah, the Crew Quarters. Well, I beat the game and I think it's just an oversight made by the developers.

In what way? has it not been proven that there are no differences between the base and Pro PS4 by Digital Foundry?

I tweeted Bethesda to ask the and they replied saying

Prey currently includes base requirements for PS4 Pro and we’re aiming to support additional enhancements with new updates planned for the game. When we have more details and timing on the update to share, we'll let everyone know.

In the meantime, feel free to provide feedback on what you would like to see. Thank you!

So hopefully better Pro support will come soon.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm liking this game a lot.

The one thing that is putting me off, and admittedly it's a fault of mine because I do this in every game, is that I find myself instantly scanning a new area for loot before really appreciating the art and design. I'm so conditioned to find everything, and if a game like Prey features lots of loot I can't stop. I mean, look at my GAF title!

I actually thought Mankind Divided was a step in the right direction for games of this type by not overwhelming the player with shit. I hate searching through trashcans, it makes me feel ridiculous. :p

Gator86

Without a doubt, top 3 game this year with Zelda and Horizon at the moment. Ending spoilers
that was some M. Night Shyamalan-type bullshit. I'm not sure they earned it go enjoy nothing,
that I saw at least implied this was the case. I would have preferred they have a variety of ending based on your choices instead of the blanket two for Alex's offer.

That said, what a fucking terrific game. It's a crime it didn't move more copies or get more praise. They earned the latter though with the shitty demo, lack of Pro support, review shenanigans, bugs, etc. Prey is definitely one of the standouts of the genre. I hope they let this team work on a sequel or similar game. This is the game I always wanted Dishonored to be.

bati

I'm now at the part where the main quest is taking me to crew quarters, am I going to skip anything important if I first explore bridge, shuttle bay, life support, etc?

kliklik

Banned
I'm liking this game a lot.

The one thing that is putting me off, and admittedly it's a fault of mine because I do this in every game, is that I find myself instantly scanning a new area for loot before really appreciating the art and design. I'm so conditioned to find everything, and if a game like Prey features lots of loot I can't stop. I mean, look at my GAF title!

I actually thought Mankind Divided was a step in the right direction for games of this type by not overwhelming the player with shit. I hate searching through trashcans, it makes me feel ridiculous. :p

Ya that's really on the mark about the art and design. But I guess that's what 2nd playthroughs are for. I'll definitely pay more attention to non-story details then.

About MD, it felt a bit overwhelming at first with so much of Prague presented at once to explore. It made the beginning of the game feel slow-moving to me. I preferred HR's multiple and varied hubworlds to explore rather than continuously coming back to Prague.

Gator86

Started a new playthrough as soon as I was back at the main menu. Prey is definitely my surprise of the year. Well, maybe tied with Horizon.

selfnoise

Did anyone ever find a solution to the framerate slowdown in the
Reactor section
? Been playing this on PC, finally got to this section, and sure enough I suddenly have 17FPS.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Just cant find the motivation to finish the game. Really enjoyed my time with it, but it just seems to on foreverrrrr.
If the game is to be believed, total story playtime is around 6 hours I think, everything else is side stuff.

As for me, i can't finish the game with broken quest and hostile NPCs, so i'm waiting for next patch cuz the last one clearly didn't fix jack shit.

Near end game spoilers!

i couldn't save Alex in time and now I need to find his body somehwre in the arboretum, but I can't find it. Any help?

When the Apex attacks, carry Alex to the panic room and put him there, then close it. He'll be unconscious while you carry him

Hold back the Apex's tendrils from attacking you and Alex using Psychoshock or Q Beam.
Nullwave Grenade is very helpful as well

Er... any reason I didn't get a trophy for beating it? Is there a trophy for it?

I don't believe there is, actually. There are trophies for finishing the game with certain requirements met (ex. don't kill any humans for one, kill ALL humans for another), but I don't think you get one just for finishing. There doesn't appear to be a Steam achievement for it, anyways (I assume the PS4 trophy list is the same but I don't know for sure).

I don't believe there is, actually. There are trophies for finishing the game with certain requirements met (ex. don't kill any humans for one, kill ALL humans for another), but I don't think you get one just for finishing. There doesn't appear to be a Steam achievement for it, anyways (I assume the PS4 trophy list is the same but I don't know for sure).

Hmm. That is oddly unsatisfying.

I played the demo and this game is...weird,no other way to explain it just weird
The demo isn't a good representation of the game. Considering the input lag and persisting combat music were fixed in the final game (Though the former was fully fixed in patch 1.02)

When the Apex attacks, carry Alex to the panic room and put him there, then close it. He'll be unconscious while you carry him

Hold back the Apex's tendrils from attacking you and Alex using Psychoshock or Q Beam.
Nullwave Grenade is very helpful as well

That's not what happened.
i was in my office talking with the scientists I rescued when Alex calls in saying he's under attack. A timer started and I couldn't get to the atrium in time because I never cleared the elevator. So Alex died before I could ever get to him and the mission says to search his body for his launch card or whatever. Problem is there is no way point for his body and I can't find it.

Weird!

ilium

Haven't had time to try myself yet, but apparently you can power up unpowered computer consoles by shooting them with the stun gun! :eek:

Top Bottom