• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

What's the most effective way to deal with a mimic'd item anyway?

Say it's pretending to be a second chair, can you GLOO gun that chair if you already know and bash it in its chair form? It seems that if you just smack them with the wrench, they immediately lunge at you causing damage instead of being stunned in some fashion.

Also, what are the consistent tells of a mimic'd item? Sadly from what I saw, the most consistent one seemed to be that they would be clipping through something, bobbing around or be susceptible to some other graphics glitch...probably not the intended idea here.

You could gloo them, throw an item at it or just shoot it. I tend to just shoot them,while they are mimicked.

To tell if they are mimicked they sometimes transform when you enter the room. So you can just keep a watch and catch them. Another way is you can throw an item across the room and more often than not they react. Also, sometimes they may just mimic in a weird area like garbage bin the the middle of the room, or just look around and see if there is too much of something, like too many chairs.

GavinUK86

To tell if they are mimicked they sometimes transform when you enter the room. So you can just keep a watch and catch them.

hiu1wn9.gif

nOoblet16

What's the most effective way to deal with a mimic'd item anyway?

Say it's pretending to be a second chair, can you GLOO gun that chair if you already know and bash it in its chair form? It seems that if you just smack them with the wrench, they immediately lunge at you causing damage instead of being stunned in some fashion.

Also, what are the consistent tells of a mimic'd item? Sadly from what I saw, the most consistent one seemed to be that they would be clipping through something, bobbing around or be susceptible to some other graphics glitch...probably not the intended idea here.
If you shoot them with a weapon they take extra damage, I think 1-2 pistol shots are enough. Gloo canon will also freeze them quick.

This demo is fantastic WOW. Feels like System Shock. Holy crap, just bought it digitally. Can't wait to continue playing.
I hope it's a long game. I don't care about graphics (I think it looks good).

Tovarisc

cdkeys got keys to stock... so tempted to pick it up for 30, themes and gameplay are right up my alley.

Then there is Dishonored 2 that is still broken on PC.

hnnng :(

Tovarisc

I've played and competed dishonored 2 5 times in pc. Hardly broken.

Outside of performance issues missions have random bugs that break 100% no kills & stealth runs. Entering room X on mission Y can randomly kill random NPC on the map and it's counted as kill against achievement etc.

Got bored of doing QA and bug testing that shit so I abandoned the game.

Can you get into the IT Department? I know there's
people
in there and I'm really curious.

Yes, but beware, some stiff opposition in there.

You could gloo them, throw an item at it or just shoot it. I tend to just shoot them,while they are mimicked.

To tell if they are mimicked they sometimes transform when you enter the room. So you can just keep a watch and catch them. Another way is you can throw an item across the room and more often than not they react. Also, sometimes they may just mimic in a weird area like garbage bin the the middle of the room, or just look around and see if there is too much of something, like too many chairs.

So can you GLOO the transformed item or do they instantly transform into their actual shape once hit by the first GLOO shot. Just wondering if you can actually GLOO them as their chair shape or whatever it is. Didn't really try that and I also didn't get the handgun somehow until near the end when I had already killed most enemies, so I never shot at mimic'd items due to only having the shotgun.

So can you GLOO the transformed item or do they instantly transform into their actual shape once hit by the first GLOO shot. Just wondering if you can actually GLOO them as their chair shape or whatever it is. Didn't really try that and I also didn't get the handgun somehow until near the end when I had already killed most enemies, so I never shot at mimic'd items due to only having the shotgun.

One clue thatt should give you a hint is when there's an object that's knocked over. If you see a desk chair in an office that's knocked over, chances it's a Mimic

There's a Psychoscope chipset that puts a marker on a Mimic who's mimicking an object, allowing you to see a specific object that is a Mimic.

I think it stays the shape of the item when using the gloo.

So do we know how many weapons are in the full game?

The demo had the shotgun, stun gun, silenced pistol, gloo gun, and boltcaster
I know there are different grenade types

Outside of performance issues missions have random bugs that break 100% no kills & stealth runs. Entering room X on mission Y can randomly kill random NPC on the map and it's counted as kill against achievement etc.

Got bored of doing QA and bug testing that shit so I abandoned the game.

Glad that never happened for me. The only bug I ran into was the one when you couldn't possess the dogs, but that was fixed. I'll wait to hear how this plays on pc before I buy though.

Kneecap

There's a Psychoscope chipset that puts a marker on a Mimic who's mimicking an object, allowing you to see a specific object that is a Mimic.
In an interview, a developer said that the chipset drops were RNG based, so presumably you could go the entire game without that specific chipset dropping.

This is one of the many reasons why I think starting us off at the beginning of the game has hurt the impression people have of the game. Morgan justifiably starts off weak with limited tools at their disposal, but will get stronger as the game progresses. For some reason it feels like people don't expect the game to give you the tools and abilities needed to deal with encounters. It's really weird.

I'm happy to see another immersive sim so soon after Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2. Part of me feels this will be the last one we get for a while...

This is one of the many reasons why I think starting us off at the beginning of the game has hurt the impression people have of the game. Morgan justifiably starts off weak with limited tools at their disposal, but will get stronger as the game progresses. For some reason it feels like people don't expect the game to give you the tools and abilities needed to deal with encounters. It's really weird.

I'm happy to see another immersive sim so soon after Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2. Part of me feels this will be the last one we get for a while...
Two things convinced that I'm really going to like this: one was thinking of an alternate way to reach the bridge area in the lobby...and then it actually worked, and two wad reading some of the different uses of the Mimic power

When I first saw the power, it seemd one note but
transforming into a fire resistant object to move safely through flames or a light oject than using another power to launch yourself really far
sound pretty ingenious

There's the System Shock remaster, SS3, and the Underworld spiritual successor all under development.

malfcn

I've got to check out the demo still. I really liked the idea of this game. Then first impressions from the thread ruined it.

Thinking of Gcu/prime or just a sale.

So do we know how many weapons are in the full game?

The demo had the shotgun, stun gun, silenced pistol, gloo gun, and boltcaster
I know there are different grenade types

There are 7 weapons (Wrench, Disruptor Stun Gun, GLOO Cannon, Silenced Pistol, Shotgun, Huntress Boltcaster, Q-Beam) and 4 grenades (EMP Charge, Recycler Charge, Nullwave Transmitter, Typhon Lure)

jem0208

I'm thinking of replaying the demo with music disabled and seeing how different it feels.

People playing on XBONE, how do the controls feel during combat?
Absolutely fine for me.
How scary is this? Bioshock worked for me but thats about my limit.
I'd say it's on a similar level to Bioshock.

I'd say it's a different type of scary though. Bioshock is creepy but this is more a constant tension. Every room you enter you're​ not sure there's going to be an enemy hid there.

There are 7 weapons (Wrench, Disruptor Stun Gun, GLOO Cannon, Silenced Pistol, Shotgun, Huntress Boltcaster, Q-Beam) and 4 grenades (EMP Charge, Recycler Charge, Nullwave Transmitter, Typhon Lure)
Huh, that toolset indicates that combat is way more about improvisation rather than direct aggressive fighting like System Shock and Bioshock
Three of those weapons are more tools than weapons. Only four damage-dealing weapons (wrench, pistol, shotgun, beam)

I've got to check out the demo still. I really liked the idea of this game. Then first impressions from the thread ruined it.

Thinking of Gcu/prime or just a sale.
But you haven't checked out the demo

I went through like four phases with this game. Not really interested -> wait, Chris Avellone! -> Demo didnt really click -> three hours later, no wait, I want to see what happens next

jem0208

Huh, that toolset indicates that combat is way more about improvisation rather than direct aggressive fighting like System Shock and Bioshock
If the demo is any indication I'd say that's exactly the case. The game provides you with tons of opportunity to experiment and improvise.

In a super basic example, i started carrying turrets around and setting them up outside doors when I didn't know what was on the other side. Also the cafeteria room, instead of carefully probing every item in the room i chucked an explosive right in the middle of a bunch of chairs and took the mimics out that way.

There's the System Shock remaster, SS3, and the Underworld spiritual successor all under development.

Yea, you're right. I didn't realize the SS remaster was slated for 2018.

The rumors of Deus Ex being put on ice, Dishonored 2 not selling better than it did, and the tepid response I've seen to Prey has me wary. But yes, there will be games like this whether AAA, or indie.

I'll keep an eye out for them.

Jacqli

I was like I am going to play a bit of the demo before taking a nap. Now I dont have time to take one, the demo was so good I could not stop playing. There are many details, I love the style and setting (it reminds me a bit of the film LIFE) and so on. I do not know if I will buy it day one because of the price (60€ is way too much for me and I am not sure if it will run smoothly in my computer to find it cheaper for that platform), but I did enjoy the trial.

If the demo is any indication I'd say that's exactly the case. The game provides you with tons of opportunity to experiment and improvise.

In a super basic example, i started carrying turrets around and setting them up outside doors when I didn't know what was on the other side. Also the cafeteria room, instead of carefully probing every item in the room i chucked an explosive right in the middle of a bunch of chairs and took the mimics out that way.
Same. Heard Phantoms behind a door, set up two turrets outside, got an explosive canister, threw it when I opened the door, activated slow motion as the canister was in the air, and used the gloo gun on the two phantoms so they couldn't escape the explosion and turret fire

I was expecting more weapons in the full game, more of a shooter like Bioshock, but that toolset reset my expectations, in a good way. Less guns and more improvising with the tools at hand seems pretty risky for a AAA game.

Three of those weapons are more tools than weapons. Only four damage-dealing weapons (wrench, pistol, shotgun, beam)

The explosive canisters are all over the place and extremely effective, that's how I took out that really hard
fiery asshole in the Trauma center
. Brute force didn't work so I GLOO'd them both, one after the other, positioned one canister right near them, ran to another wall, picked up another canister and hurled it at previously placed one for a big ass explosion. It killed the normal guy in one hit and took most of the
fiery guy's
health off as well. I think one more shotty hit did the trick ultimately.

This shit can definitely be cumbersome due to the stiff controls, but when it works out, it's pretty damn cool.

Same. Heard Phantoms behind a door, set up two turrets outside, got an explosive canister, threw it when I opened the door, activated slow motion as the canister was in the air, and used the gloo gun on the two phantoms so they couldn't escape the explosion and turret fire

I was expecting more weapons in the full game, more of a shooter like Bioshock, but that toolset reset my expectations, in a good way. Less guns and more improvising with the tools at hand seems pretty risky for a AAA game

How do you activate slow-motion??

rtcn63

The demo was okay. The PS4 version does feel super jank (I know they're working on it), but I spent most of the time picking up dozens upon dozens of items from cabinets from same-y looking rooms and the like and realized that these sort of games aren't for me anymore. (RIP future Bioshock playthroughs)

And I kind of would rather if the game didn't let you save scum. You don't have to after every encounter, but you will because you can. The mimics do become pretty easy to deal with after a bit of practice.

Sotha_Sil

One of the devs told a story about a QA tester who played through the game with nothing but turrets. Had tons of ammo saved up because he never fired a gun.

Then he ran into an enemy this strategy didn't work on and had to change things up.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
The demo does not have support for Pro.
The game is having the PS4 input lag patched around release.
PC version should run fine being Cryengine based.

Bold mine for importance!

One step further-will the game have Pro performance at launch or via patch?

I'm at a point now since I have a 4k tv with HDR and a PS4 Pro, I tend to lean towards Pro supported titles first before making buying decisions now.

Thank you Pj very good to know and may make alot of folks happy to hear. May I ask, do you work at Bethesda or did you work on the game in some capacity?

Absolutely fine for me.

Felt great! And I'm usually quick to notice input latency. For example, I couldn't get past it in Rise of the Tomb Raider. It feels a lot like Bioshock 1 for better/worse but the responsiveness was fine.

Good to hear. Part of the issue with the combat is that I still need to figure it out, but good lord are the controls rough on PS4.

It's tough to see the mimics in the environment so I end up holding a charged wrench shot until I see it in my crosshairs and by the time I let go the thing is already somewhere else. GLOO ammo and slo-mo run resources seem scarce as well. Which I get is a survival horror thing, which I'm totally cool with.

Strootman

Finished the demo. Have mixed feelings about the game. I like the atmosphere, the story, setting and exploration. But overall gameplay feels not that great. Controls are clunky and shooting mimics isn't fun. There are problems with audio and performance on X1 too that they definitely need to fix for the release.

Will wait for reviews and impressions from people.

Top Bottom