• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey Demo: Opening Hour Thread: Everything is Going to Be OK

sn00zer

I really like the mimic enemy function....the "wait a minute, why are there TWO chairs in this office?"

Its a super cool system, and being suspicious of chairs and coffee mugs is both tense and hilarious.

Spent over 3 hours with the demo, and figured out a way to complete a side mission. Not sure if it was emergent or intended

The Stolen Neuromods quest, had to get to Yuri's office. Was trying to figure a way up there. Realized I could use the gloo gun to get high enough on the second floor balcony to reach the art structure in the lobby and then create a gloo walkway along the center elevator tower to reach the second art structure then reach the bridge connecting Sales and Telecommunications

Futurematic

Spent over 3 hours with the demo, and figured out a way to complete a side mission. Not sure if it was emergent or intended

The Stolen Neuromods quest, had to get to Yuri's office. Was trying to figure a way up there. Revealed I could use the gloo gun to get high enough on the second floor balcony to reach the art structure in the lobby and then create a gloo walkway along the center elevator tower to reach the second art structure then reach the bridge connecting Sales and Telecommunications

You can also jump down from the floor above.
But your solution is way more inventive :).

graywolf323

how heavy is the horror in this? I've loved Arkane's previous games (well the Dishonored series) but my threshold for scary stuff is Scooby Doo X-P

Strootman

Playing the demo and got to the first neuromod.

First thing: jesus christ, why the fuck is the music so aggressive whenever you encounter just a stupid mimic?!? It's annoying as hell. And even when you kill the mimic it keeps playing without a reason...

Also loading times are too long on X1.

Also played up to the first Neuromod. I'm enjoying it, it hits the right notes for me really. The opening with Morgan's apartment reminded me of Deus Ex Human Evolution, while once you get to the space station it starts blending in Bioshock with that. Playing on PS4 due to lack of a PC demo and I apparently am not sensitive to input lag as that's not really a problem for me, but what is is that I simply have never liked using a controller for first person action games. I'll definitely prefer using a mouse if I get the PC version in the end. I don't really mind the combat music when it's playing in actual combat, but the bug with it taking way too long to stop playing once combat is over does annoy me. It kinda makes me go frantic for a bit as I try to figure out if there's any enemies left or if it just needs a bit to stop playing.

Hopefully the PC version is good, not sure I'd wanna play on PS4 in the end but I'm definitely still interested in the game now despite the faults others have.

ryseing

how heavy is the horror in this? I've loved Arkane's previous games (well the Dishonored series) but my threshold for scary stuff is Scooby Doo X-P

Lots of jump scares. I played it with the sound muted and was OK but I'm not sure if you would want to compromise yourself like that.

Orfeas

First thing: jesus christ, why the fuck is the music so aggressive whenever you encounter just a stupid mimic?!? It's annoying as hell. And even when you kill the mimic it keeps playing without a reason...

This has been beaten to death. They've already said they're patching it for release.

Maybe it's me but I also don't like the GLOO cannon, it feels kinda bad to use. Or maybe I just need to get used to it.

Everything's a bit wimpy when it comes to firing and hit feedback, but yeah, the GLOO cannon as a weapon to hit enemies with, rather than a tool to traverse with, is especially not very satisfying to use. It's seriously lacking aural oomph.

So I somehow got drawn in again despite my persistent issues I had already complained about earlier in the thread.

Started a new play of the demo this morning just out of curiosity after wondering if there is a movement speed upgrade which I previously didn't get to. The first upgrade was indeed a 20% (I think? Maybe it says 25%?) upgrade to movement speed and the game basically felt pretty much closer to 'normal', or what I would've expected in the first place, afterwards. Obviously the shit input lag is there, but again, if it's patched, the movement may turn out to be much less of an issue with these available upgrades. The GLOO gun can also be upgraded after unlocking the weapon upgrade path to shoot further, freeze for longer etc. for those having issues with how wimpy it is against enemies, it helped a lot.

I'm not sure if I basically played the demo to the end, but I reached the point where
you reach your second main mission objective after you view the video tape in your office and the large door/path just says "Not accessible in the Prey demo" or something along the lines.
. Is this the end of the demo essentially?

For another positive, I started really getting into the level design and interactivity of its world once I was a ways into it.

The more I played though, the more sound issues and glitches I started noticing, it's pretty absurd. It seemed like they were increasing over time. Things like opening doors not having a sound, footsteps disappearing and toilets flushing being silent at random. I've been paying on headphones and the Stereo mix is very aggressive and off in places, which makes things even weirder (and the combat music even more obnoxious).

Overall, I'm somehow intrigued enough to let the rough problems it does have slide a bit and be cautiously optimistic about there possibly being a diamond in the rough buried beneath. Curious to see how the structure of the whole game etc. holds up in the final product...and obviously if they're fixing the sound and control issues.

PS: Spider mimics can still go eat a donkey dick

commissar

I bought it a while ago on PC because Arkane, but it's kinda disheartening to hear it's yet another 'wait until they patch it' game from Bethesda.

Freddo

I'm highly impressed by Prey and have played thru the PS4 demo thoroughly 4 times trying different things and stuff, taking about 3-4 hours each time. Can't wait for the full release. Had to lower the music volume to 20 though, that thing was way too loud.

M.W.

Not bad at all. I take it with Bethesda's review embargo thingey, don't expect reviews until after the 5th?

BlizzKrut

Banned
So I somehow got drawn in again despite my persistent issues I had already complained about earlier in the thread.

Started a new play of the demo this morning just out of curiosity after wondering if there is a movement speed upgrade which I previously didn't get to. The first upgrade was indeed a 20% (I think? Maybe it says 25%?) upgrade to movement speed and the game basically felt pretty much closer to 'normal', or what I would've expected in the first place, afterwards. Obviously the shit input lag is there, but again, if it's patched, the movement may turn out to be much less of an issue with these available upgrades. The GLOO gun can also be upgraded after unlocking the weapon upgrade path to shoot further, freeze for longer etc. for those having issues with how wimpy it is against enemies, it helped a lot.

I'm not sure if I basically played the demo to the end, but I reached the point where
you reach your second main mission objective after you view the video tape in your office and the large door/path just says "Not accessible in the Prey demo" or something along the lines.
. Is this the end of the demo essentially?

For another positive, I started really getting into the level design and interactivity of its world once I was a ways into it.

The more I played though, the more sound issues and glitches I started noticing, it's pretty absurd. It seemed like they were increasing over time. Things like opening doors not having a sound, footsteps disappearing and toilets flushing being silent at random. I've been paying on headphones and the Stereo mix is very aggressive and off in places, which makes things even weirder (and the combat music even more obnoxious).

Overall, I'm somehow intrigued enough to let the rough problems it does have slide a bit and be cautiously optimistic about there possibly being a diamond in the rough buried beneath. Curious to see how the structure of the whole game etc. holds up in the final product...and obviously if they're fixing the sound and control issues.

PS: Spider mimics can still go eat a donkey dick

Yeah, that's the
"end" of the demo, you still can go back and explore a ton of stuff you might've missed.

BeeDog

Really liked the demo and the premise. The only things that bothered me were the clunky controls and the overbearing encounter music. Especially the latter one is annoying, Jesus Christ, and this is coming from someone that only listens to electronic music.

Pre-ordered the game with the full trust that the input lag will be sorted out.

still haven't finished the demo, but i had to pre-order it after seeing the steelbook cover.

cWfxw1i.jpg

munroe

Played the Xbox one demo, quite like it. No input lag though the frame rate does seem to drop occasionally. Aiming is fine, not sure what the issue is.

Story wise, not too much to report on with it being a small segment but could be interesting, not sure if fighting mimics will get old

Think I managed to explore everywhere I could, though can't get into the psychotronics area or the other room in the it security area

Josemsar

Neo Member
The demo just confirmed what I thought... The game looks to be really good. Will wait for PC review, but still I have big hopes for a good port because of the:

-Good technical performance on consoles
-Arkane already talked about performance issues when Dishonored 2 and said they would make a better job with Prey
-It´s CryEngine and not an inhouse engine

Still I understand why PC doesn´t have a demo. This is the first game releasing after the AMD + Bethesda deal where games will be optimized for AMD platform and it has been released too close to the game launch date.

In Arkane we trust.

I found myself wishing the full game was out over the weekend cause I wanted to play more. I said I was going to wait on a sale in a few weeks, but I might find myself stopping at Best Buy on Saturday before seeing Guardians.

Any idea if enemies respawn? I absolutely hate that. Fuck 'monster closets' and similar.

I reloaded my saves after killing all enemies in Lobby, I didn't see any of them respawning.

Enemies respawning is one of the things I disliked about System Shock 2.

I feared randomly spawning enemies ala System Shock 2 and Bioshock as well but thank the fucking heavens, it doesn't happen in the demo at least.

I never understood who thought 'unlimited enemies' vs. 'limited resources' was a fun idea. Never thought it was tense either personally.

Really liked the demo and the premise. The only things that bothered me were the clunky controls and the overbearing encounter music. Especially the latter one is annoying, Jesus Christ, and this is coming from someone that only listens to electronic music.

This is actually the first time I've remotely liked anything Mick Gordon has done but ironically enough, the mix is so comically fucked up that in turn I hated it again. I'm a big fan of anything from Kraftwerk to Aphex Twin to stuff like Throbbing Gristle so it has to be the mix and horrible compression.

More or less, yes. Their policy ain't helping as it shown itself to be
It's really strange. Dishonored could have done better because of positive reviews before launch, DOOM had good reviews. Prey is looking to be a good game overall. Why they insist on having this policy is beyond me.

Played it yesterday and loved every second. It's very Bioshock-y which I LOVE. I thought it was out later in the month for some reason then saw it was May 5 and now I can't wait to grab it later this week! Gona preorder it on Amazon now

ymgve

One cool thing I noticed in the demo - the first time you enter the left bathroom on the first floor of the lobby,
there are only a few Mimics there. But if you return later, you'll find that someone has gloo-ed up the entrance, and inside is a dead person that wasn't there before! Interesting that there is some dynamic changes like that in the world.

One cool thing I noticed in the demo - the first time you enter the left bathroom on the first floor of the lobby,
there are only a few Mimics there. But if you return later, you'll find that someone has gloo-ed up the entrance, and inside is a dead person that wasn't there before! Interesting that there is some dynamic changes like that in the world.

I came back all the way at the end of the demo yesterday and just thought my memory was a bit hazy because
I had been blazing the entire time I was playing xD
. Do I need to put some sort of 'don't try this at home' disclaimer here?

Beating a dead horse here, but if mimics didnt have that constant music que, they would be so much more effective. One got me good by pretending to be a second gun next to a corpse, and it would have been clever and cool if that music wasn't blaring the second it started attacking

Enjoyed the demo enough to pre-order the game. If they can fix the shooting and the audio issues even better. It gets annoying hearing the battle theme a minute after the encounter and the fact that it's so loud. The fighting issues is so weird because I felt like everything worked well in Dishonored. This time the fighting and gun mechanics just fell off. Not enough for me to stop playing, but enough to break the mood.

Beating a dead horse here, but if mimics didnt have that constant music que, they would be so much more effective. One got me good by pretending to be a second gun next to a corpse, and it would have clever and cool if that music wasn't blaring the second it started attacking

That one got me too.

What's the most effective way to deal with a mimic'd item anyway?

Say it's pretending to be a second chair, can you GLOO gun that chair if you already know and bash it in its chair form? It seems that if you just smack them with the wrench, they immediately lunge at you causing damage instead of being stunned in some fashion.

Also, what are the consistent tells of a mimic'd item? Sadly from what I saw, the most consistent one seemed to be that they would be clipping through something, bobbing around or be susceptible to some other graphics glitch...probably not the intended idea here.

Shredderi

That blaring combat music cue actually got my attention in the preview videos. Seemed way too loud and prevalent. Sometimes no music at all works to a better effect in thriller/horror-ish type games.

Morts

I really want to like it. The premise and setting are great in the demo, but the combat doesn't feel good at all. Maybe it'll be better as you get different weapons?

Top Bottom