• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey for the Gods |KS| Survival against giant creatures, PC/PS4/XB1

Backed this on day 1. Looks amazing and I'm so down for something similar to SotC. One of my GOAT games. Hoping it goes to 1 mil for the full game, but unlikely. That gameplay footage they released was exactly what we needed to see.

Yeah, one million probably won't happen unless there's a major swing in the game's favour, like if a large youtuber put the spotlight on the game. The real toss up is on whether or not it makes 600k. While on the one hand console porting would be a challenge, especially given that this is Unity and a three man team, that greater customer base would probably be useful. Especially the PS4's, since when a game is basically selling itself on the idea of being a spiritual successor to Shadow of the Colossus, being on the system family that actually had that game is probably a good idea.

Linch

Neo Member
Thank you GAF for bringing this to my attention, my first kickstart backing, looks incredible, exactly my sort of game, backed!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
A warning for backers interested in the console versions: the game is made in Unity, which is known to have significant performance issues on both PS4 and Xbox One (when you learn that a critically acclaimed mobile game is having problems being ported to the PS4 you know things are bad).

Considering the scope of the game and the team size, I expect it to run terribly unless Unity 5.4 (which has been in beta for over 6 months now) truly delivers on the promise of actually using more than a single CPU core on consoles (and does so without requiring games to be reworked around it).

If Unity is in the mix, its going to be a problem for any hypothetical console releases without a doubt. A shame.

this.
with what is on paper this would have been already founded but it seems ueda hype is mostly forum/showfloor ones with niche public to really back it...

In fairness, outside of Nintendo (and even then, rarely), specific figures in game dev and direction are rarely given much hype or wider awareness, nevermind their particular styles. People might know of Shadow of the Colossus but I would bet that the vast majority of people who played it wouldn't know a single name from among the people involved.

Then again, the fact this game really doesn't have any kind of big name - whether specific staff or a company - behind it doesn't really help.

Via last update where they discussed the addition of a physical art book and more partnered games-

One last thing, we have a pretty important announcement that we'll be making today at 1pm PST today. Further proof that we're listening and doing our best to meet the goals of our vision and our backers.
Wonder what it will be?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Too bad about them using Unity. :(

It just doesn't play well with consoles and even gives pc players nagging problems. Mainly the stutter/micro stutter.

I wish developers would go with Unreal Engine, Cry Engine or their own engines if they can.

Heck, even Insomniac used Unity for "Song of the Deep" and it gave them quite a bit of troubles(they're still actively patching the game!). That's a AAA developer having issues with the engine!

So, no go from me on this. I really am at a point now that I actively seek out what engine a game is using if I like the looks/concept of it. Any mention of Unity and I'm out now.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Probably shifting the stretch goals around to make the console version easier to achieve

I'm not sure if I'm wrong to think that it's an unwise decision for Kickstarters to leave console stretch goals so far out from the initial goal, or maybe it's just frustration.

Too bad about them using Unity. :(

It just doesn't play well with consoles and even gives pc players nagging problems. Mainly the stutter/micro stutter.

I wish developers would go with Unreal Engine, Cry Engine or their own engines if they can.

Heck, even Insomniac used Unity for "Song of the Deep" and it gave them quite a bit of troubles(they're still actively patching the game!). That's a AAA developer having issues with the engine!

So, no go from me on this. I really am at a point now that I actively seek out what engine a game is using if I like the looks/concept of it. Any mention of Unity and I'm out now.
Developers of games like Inside and Ori get rock-solid performance out of Unity. And so many games are made on Unity that you're going to cut out a huge chunk of games.

Kerbal Space Program. SuperHOT, Cities Skylines, Monument Valley, Hearthstone, Pillars of Eternity, Cuphead, The Long Dark, Besiege, Jazzpunk, Enter The Gungeon, Infinifactory, Her Story, House of the Dying Sun, Oddworld, Shelter, Aztez, Night in the Woods, 140, Device 6...

stop blaming unity and start blaming the devs for these issues. unity is not the problem here.
No matter how many times you say it, they will repeat their concerns- much like any Kickstarter thread it seems.

"Won't back but will definitely buy, looks awesome!"
"Would back it but I don't trust Kickstarter."
"Where's the money coming from? Has this been bought out by my rival console manufacturer?"
"This little team can't possibly be so kawaii!"

Also on the funding front, they're coming up to 265k. Four out of the last five days haven't really been great, but the campaign is still chugging along.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Smart move with the console releases, since so many people were holding out for that.

In for $15.

Checked for any comments about VR and they said not right now, but maybe someday. Here's hoping.

vq81sBj.gif

As far as funding goes, it's pretty much inevitable. The curve of Kickstarters (with similar finding in the first 3 and last 3 days) is very consistent.

Speaking of, it seems confirmation of consoles no matter what has given them a small boost again, currently at 272k.

cqrUx4p.png

They basically swing between 5k and 10k a day at this point, so they could meet their main funding goal before the last ten days, or might just miss it.

LAA

Should get funded, but just disappointed it probably won't reach the goals for extra bosses. Hope they can still happen anyway.

Should get funded, but just disappointed it probably won't reach the goals for extra bosses. Hope they can still happen anyway.
I hope (and imagine) they'd roll any future profits into post-launch improvements, but it's certainly not guaranteed- not everyone can be Yacht Club Games of Shovel Knight fame.

They've also stated that once they hit the main funding goal they'll open up to paypal donations, for anyone who's had that as their main restriction to backing.

Still, glad to see them almost funded, and with a fair amount of time left in the campaign.

DrArchon

I'm sad that this probably won't hit a bunch of the later stretch goals, like the ones for more bosses, but at least this is almost certainly getting funded.

Dark Souls + Shadow of the Colossus...

I'm interested

I asked the DEVs if they had ever played dragon dogma (I really enjoy the monster battles in that, mounting things, watching certain ones hunt cows) and unfortunately the person who replied never tried it..they could get a few good battle ideas with that one, oh well.

game still looks fantastic.

It's really tough to reconcile my appreciation for the concept with the knowledge that stuff like this that checks a lot of boxes usually ends up underwhelming :/

I'll plunk down some money but I'll reserve any actual hype for when we get future updates that look promising. 300k is not a lot of resources, especially for an ambitious, 3D game.

MaLDo

Developers of games like Inside and Ori get rock-solid performance out of Unity. And so many games are made on Unity that you're going to cut out a huge chunk of games.

Kerbal Space Program. SuperHOT, Cities Skylines, Monument Valley, Hearthstone, Pillars of Eternity, Cuphead, The Long Dark, Besiege, Jazzpunk, Enter The Gungeon, Infinifactory, Her Story, House of the Dying Sun, Oddworld, Shelter, Aztez, Night in the Woods, 140, Device 6...

Ori had plenty of hitching when loading new areas and effects. Playing forcing DX9 soothed the problem a bit. They need to rework lots of things working in collaboration with Unity Team and finally the game is smooth ONLY in the second release (definitive edition) one full year after the first game. There are threads in steam discussion forums where a dev talks about how hard is to fix those hitches because of how the engine works.

Pillars of Eternity has lots of performance problems and hitches too.

Enter The Gungeon... this game can't be played with really smooth framerate no matter what you do. Is not full smooth.

I did not played the rest.

Even in this tiny and low quality gif I can see a hitch in the running animation produced by the engine.

SomTervo

Even in this tiny and low quality gif I can see a hitch in the running animation produced by the engine.

This is early stuff, man.

I'm helping out on a third-person game which is being developed in Unity, and is nearing completion. The animations are absolutely seamless and the game rarely has any hitches. The environments are also pretty large.

Top Bottom