• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton 2 Viral Marketing Bombshell: The Twitter Account Wasn't Real :(

"The GAFFers I'll deeply miss: Andrex, Amir0x, Feep, bistromathics, Masked Man, LiquidSwords, Regulus Tera, AzureJericho, Kagari, and Anihawk"

from RahGah

He's so emotional

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cat in the Hat said:
"The GAFFers I'll deeply miss: Andrex, Amir0x, Feep, bistromathics, Masked Man, LiquidSwords, Regulus Tera, AzureJericho, Kagari, and Anihawk"

from RahGah

He's so emotional

:lol

Wow! So he's permabanned? He should of never made that twitter if he knew this was going to happen. I think he's the one who told us that Pokemon Gold and Silver would be announced on DS before they did.

Cat in the Hat said:

from RahGah

He's so emotional

He'll be back, someone that devoted to GAF won't be able to stay out for long.

TheChillyAcademic said:
He'll be back, someone that devoted to GAF won't be able to stay out for long.
Except he'll tell everyone he used to be banned the same day.

edit: pretty sure there is supposed to be a who in there somewhere.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
GDJustin said:
Basically, TopHatProfessor = awesome.
WWRY promoting TopHatProfessor on GAF without revealing himself = super lame.

wait plz clarify again? was wii will rock u really a 'journalist'? cuz i still don't think the last one is fair. if he is just a fan, he is not part of the 'industry'. if he said HAY GUYZ I 'M GOING TO SET UP THIS ARG FOR YOU, BUT PRETEND ITS REAL, K? it would be stupid. from what i see, he hyped up the ARG a bit much, but i still dont see any moral or ethical issue if he was doing the whole thing just for fun.

so was just a big fanboy, or is he really an 'industry figure'? i cant tell if people are saying 'journalist' for real or sarcastically.

Firestorm

Hero of Legend said:
I'm starting to wonder if he did that, so that if it was a success, Nintendo would've gone "thanks man, we now honor you as an official Nintendo account", just for the glory or something, possibly with the game selling being secondary?

Why would he hide his identity otherwise? If people knew it was him, GAF especially would have known right away that it was far from official.
The route to take in that case is waiting for someone else to post it. For a second I was going to go "which I think there was" but I dug a little more and realized it was a post, not a topic. And also realized that it was WWRU who posted it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16482932&postcount=30

bistromathics said:
wait plz clarify again? was wii will rock u really a 'journalist'? cuz i still don't think the last one is fair. if he is just a fan, he is not part of the 'industry'. if he said HAY GUYZ I 'M GOING TO SET UP THIS ARG FOR YOU, BUT PRETEND ITS REAL, K? it would be stupid. from what i see, he hyped up the ARG a bit much, but i still dont see any moral or ethical issue if he was doing the whole thing just for fun.

so was just a big fanboy, or is he really an 'industry figure'? i cant tell if people are saying 'journalist' for real or sarcastically.

It doesn't matter if he's a self-described "games journalist" or whatever. Rules are rules.

Sometimes it's very nebulous here, but this case was crystal clear.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
bistromathics said:

How many times does it need to be clarified? Forget him being a journalist, or a fanboy, or whatever. Forget ALL of that. It's not relevant to his banning.

If you link to something in a GAF topic making it sound like you just "found" it, when the truth is you're INVOLVED in said link, you will be permabanned for it. For concealing your involvement.

Is that clear enough for you?

bistromathics said:

He has contacts at Treehouse, thus how he got the Pokemon info, that's all I remember of him.

legend166 said:
This whole thing would have been so more acceptable were it not for the weird begging. Geeze, that was creepy.

This pretty much sums up my sentiments. Can't wait to read this whole thing again when it makes its rounds across the interweb. Gaf->Internet->Gaf

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
GDJustin said:
How many times does it need to be clarified? Forget him being a journalist, or a fanboy, or whatever. Forget ALL of that. It's not relevant to his banning.

If you link to something in a GAF topic making it sound like you just "found" it, when the truth is you're INVOLVED in said link, you will be permabanned for it. For concealing your involvement.

Is that clear enough for you?

kind of...except it was an ARG that was presumably designed for gaf's entertainment, judging from his attachment to the site. how else would he kick it off, besides pretending he found it?

edit: if the issue is that it wasnt made for gafs entertainment, but for it to be eventually spread around and picked up to ultimately promote whatever site he has, then i see the problem. but i don't agree with what you are saying at all, GDJustin.

edit: well in this case, anyways. i can understand what you mean if someone said "oh look at this sweet game i found" when they were involved in the production, but this looked like it was 'for entertainment purposes only'.

bistromathics said:
kind of...except it was an ARG that was presumably designed for gaf's entertainment, judging from his attachment to the site. how else would he kick it off, besides pretending he found it?
Send a "news" tip to Go Nintendo. Someone else here would have picked it up.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
UltimateIke said:
Send a "news" tip to Go Nintendo. Someone else here would have picked it up.

yea, thats why i keep askin where he works. was this in any way going to be connected with his site? cuz he seems pretty sincere, and on the surface it doesnt look like that was the intention

I just realized

Fake Layton twitter was talking about the "Grand Smash Tournament" at the same time as Wii Will Rock U was trying to get people to participate in his Make-Smash 4 thread.

I wonder if he was using his twitter to promote his thread in a really roundabout way.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Regulus Tera said:
You're just jealous he didn't mention you.
wait why am i in there, i am a gaf nobody. i just thought he was getting cornered by some layton fans i and wanted to do the right thing.

Firestorm

bistromathics said:
yea, thats why i keep askin where he works. was this in any way going to be connected with his site? cuz he seems pretty sincere, and on the surface it doesnt look like that was the intention
Check the Official E3 thread in the Archives and if you can't miss it.

Flynn

Are you guys saying that there's no such thing as Professor Layton? Next thing you'll be telling me there's no Santa Claus.

Milabrega said:
He PM'd a lot of people trying to get them to participate in the gaf creates smash 4 thread.

This was on aim, extra creepy. I know I leave that shit in my profile but seriously people, don't bug me for your freakish agendas.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Should I assume that the remainders of the other thread will be merged with this one and preserved in the GAF archives?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Amir0x said:
oh god *rubs forehead*

Cat in the Hat said:

from RahGah

He's so emotional

Feeling special yet?

Yazus

Oh, I liked him a bit. I didnt even knew about the fucking stuff he was making.

After having read this thread all I can say is good riddance...

Top Bottom