• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

Ramenman

Wait UK has a different dub from US ? But why ??

Shitty region lock of shit. Anyway, does anyone know if there's audio-language selection ? I don't want to hear a crappy french dub ! Is my best hope to import from UK ?

I think the only real difference between UK and US is the voice for Luke, but I'm not 100% sure.

The games do not have multiple language options, sadly.

I think the only real difference between UK and US is the voice for Luke, but I'm not 100% sure.

The games do not have multiple language options, sadly.

Yea, the UK (and all euro regions) didn't get London Life but USA/Australia and Japan did.

Is anyone having an issue with the daily puzzles? I tried to download them and it creates extra data on my SD Card then says "Could not access the extra data. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power and reinsert the SD Card. If the problem persists, please delete the extra data in the System Settings." Neither of those solutions helped :(

Yea, the UK (and all euro regions) didn't get London Life but USA/Australia and Japan did.

Is anyone having an issue with the daily puzzles? I tried to download them and it creates extra data on my SD Card then says "Could not access the extra data. Hold down the POWER Button to turn off the power and reinsert the SD Card. If the problem persists, please delete the extra data in the System Settings." Neither of those solutions helped :(

Yeah, I know about the shitty London Life situation. I was talking about the voice actors.

Can't download the daily puzzle either. Maybe it only starts tomorrow?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
it says you can download them "starting on launch day" which is 28/10 in the site, so you just have to wait a coupla days

Katzii

So... Any EU people get their Layton luggage tag email yet? I registered literally a couple of minutes after 8am and have heard nothing.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
has anybody with the pal version downloaded the first puzzle?
im trying to download it and it gives me an error.
it tells me to switch off 3ds,and insert again the sd card,and if the problem persists,delete the extra data and create it again.
i have done this..twice in..2 3ds,but i cant download it
anyone else having this problem too?
thank you in advance

Exactly the same thing with me, and searching for "daily puzzle layton" on Twitter, we're clearly not alone.

So... Any EU people get their Layton luggage tag email yet? I registered literally a couple of minutes after 8am and have heard nothing.

Same here. No email yet.

piteru

Banned
Ok this is annoying..I just got the notification about the daily puzzle program and still I can't download the puzzle....

Game arrived this morning. The 3D is really clean and looks good on the XL. But the 3D characters look really weird to me, they seem to have lost something coming from 2D.

For those in Europe, don't forget to register your game for a chance to get the Layton luggage tag.

...It would be nice it that became a Club Nintendo Reward.

-GJ-

Reader AyeHaley is used to playing Professor Layton games in English, even though he resides in a Dutch/Belgian area. When purchasing the eShop version of Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, he found out that the only two language options were Dutch and French. While there are more language options in the retail version of the game, it seems language support will differ more strictly in other parts of Europe. Make sure you read up on what you're buying before you plop down the cash!

Source

Can anyone confirm this (the part about the retail game)?

edit: Can't link the source...

gerudoman

Got mine. Really surprised of how good the transition between 2D and 3D is, way better than what I could see in trailers. The game is gorgeous, particularly the backgrounds are really detailed and is nice to see more animation in the form of people walking and moving, helps creating a better atmosphere. I expected better quality in the videos, though. I haven't appreciated much differences from the DS games, still look a bit compressed and pixelated.

So far the OST seems to be even better than precious entries.

urfe

I played it last September, as it was the first game I bought with my (Japanese) 3DS. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think it says a lot that a Japanese launch title is still seen as so great.

Awesome, this game deserved an OT. I'll be picking it up at retail on Sunday. I hope it's as good as the Last Specter, that was the highlight of the series for me.

Lexxon

This game really slipped under the radar for me. I have it preordered for $30 at Newegg so hopefully they ship it tomorrow or Monday.

I still haven't beaten the last game, which makes me sad :( I hammer out a few puzzles every once and a while. Will have to step it up this weekend to prepare for this one.

I could only play for one hour today, but what really sticks out to me is how great the (polygonal) 3D looks. I guess you could single out certain aspects that need a little more work, but the visuals are overall just very lively and fun to look at. Things got a little stale after four DS Layton's and so far it looks like they did a great job mixing things up for the 3DS game. I hope it keeps up like that.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Game arrived this morning. The 3D is really clean and looks good on the XL. But the 3D characters look really weird to me, they seem to have lost something coming from 2D.

For those in Europe, don't forget to register your game for a chance to get the Layton luggage tag.

at first glance I thought this was a wallet and my heart just stopped for five seconds

Fuck yeah!! Picking up my pre-order on Monday <3 I can't wait!! God, I have so many 3DS games to play now, they just kinda all piled up o_O

I really wish I could play this one on an XL though; it looked amazing when I tried it out this summer :(

piteru

Banned
did anybody with the pal version actually succeeded dowloading the daily puzzles?
aways getting error screen...
:/

I guess I hadn't been paying enough attention to the 3DS market.

It was £33 in Tesco and £30 on Amazon, so I suppose GAME's pricing isn't all that offensive.

I mean it's still a ludicrous price, I don't disagree with that at all, but around £35 is pretty standard now, even unfortunately for supermarkets as you point out.
Thanks to savvy pre-ordering I'm still yet to pay more than £25 for a 3DS game since launch, but even still the prices in general are definitely too high :(

has anybody with the pal version downloaded the first puzzle?
im trying to download it and it gives me an error.
it tells me to switch off 3ds,and insert again the sd card,and if the problem persists,delete the extra data and create it again.
i have done this..twice in..2 3ds,but i cant download it
anyone else having this problem too?
thank you in advance

Oh, happened to me too. Thought I had problems.
Also, while I kind of like the 3D models, they move waaaay too much during dialogues. It's like playing Human Revolution.

NeoRausch

So when will they start to deliver the daily puzzle?

when i try to download anythink it just gives me some standart error message. Or is it on my side? Tried it on two systems.

Edit:

oh i see, it's a known problem.

zroid

Banned
So when will they start to deliver the daily puzzle?

when i try to download anythink it just gives me some standart error message. Or is it on my side? Tried it on two systems.

probably tomorrow, after it's released in all regions

vladdamad

Put around six hours into this over the past two days, game is pretty great. 3D looks absolutely fantastic, backgrounds are on different levels in 3D, animations are hilarious, and the presentation (the new UI in particular) is really something special. Puzzles are also fantastic, some being really different to the previous games.

The thing that's a little disappointing so far is the story. Layton's past is interesting enough, but the stuff that happens in the present just seems a bit slow and uninteresting. In the previous games, the main mystery (future London, for example) propelled you to keep playing the story, here it's just a dude in a mask, which isn't as exciting. It's meant to start slow though, or so I keep hearing from reviews, so hopefully it'll get better from here.

To sum up, gameplay mechanics = fantastic, story = average.

The Spotpass message says the first puzzle should have been out yesterday, so they definitely messed something up. I hope they can fix it. The 3DS error message is a little weird.

Has it been confirmed if this'll be up at midnight on the E shop like NSMB was? Or will I have to wait until some time tomorrow?

NeoRausch

And just as we speak i've got the spotpass message claiming the first downloads for this week. Starting on friday...yesterday.

huh.....

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Can anyone confirm this (the part about the retail game)?

edit: Can't link the source...
Welp. Somebody, please confirm that the Deutsch version has English subtitles! :/

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Playing the german version. No subtitels seen so far. Sorry dude.
Thanks. Got the version from the Polish store instead (a tad cheaper and voiced in English : )

ed: The 3D is deeelicious!

My biggest fear about it - that it would be a jagged mess, was unfounded - Layton is the third game I've seen yet that has antialiasing in 3D!

zroid

Banned
My biggest fear about it - that it would be a jagged mess, was unfounded - Layton is the third game I've seen yet that has antialiasing in 3D!

pretty impressive when put in perspective that this was technically a launch title

Got an email saying Newegg charged my card so it should be shipping soon, but I don't know when I'll get it this week because I'm in the northeast :(

Lexxon

Got an email saying Newegg charged my card so it should be shipping soon, but I don't know when I'll get it this week because I'm in the northeast :(

Ack, I didn't even think of that! I have this and ACIII shipping from Newegg, and my sister is DYING to play ACIII...if we have no school Tuesday/Wednesday and have power, she'll kill me for ordering in that way. Might cancel the pre-order and get the $20 from BB instead...

Top Bottom