• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

I'm pleasantly surprised by the visuals in this game, it really is a nice step up from the DS laytons. Helps it feel more fresh too, which is good as I felt the series was getting stale with the last specter.

M3d10n

I was afraid the locations would lose their charm and detail due to the move to polygonal 3D, but I was pleasantly proven wrong. The backgrounds look gorgeous and can easily pass as illustrations. Since the game is often using a fixed camera, stereo 3D works amazingly well too. There are also some real time cutscenes, now that everything is 3D. Its also nice that there seem to be no loading times whatsoever (or they are very cleverly masked).

This might have been a launch game, but it is so polished it really doesn't fell like it.

I'm particularly fond of that diorama look. Just a really smart choice to keep the game visually charming.

This might have been a launch game, but it is so polished it really doesn't fell like it.

I wonder if there are any significant differences between the Japanese and western versions (besides some puzzles, obviously). Wouldn't be a first for a Level 5 game and god knows they had enough time between the Japanese and western releases to polish it up some more.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I just dialed in my 6th hour with this game and yeah - it's a superbly executed game, in every way - models, animations, backdrops, music, IQ. And last but not least - no offensively easy puzzles (past the intro, anyway).

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just wondering, how do you access the daily puzzles? Do you unlock it later on in the game?
I just did the robot puzzle and got the robot mini-game

Just wondering, how do you access the daily puzzles? Do you unlock it later on in the game?
I just did the robot puzzle and got the robot mini-game
From the extra section in the main menu. The daily puzzles are currently busted, though. The game won't download them, at least in the EU version.

disco

I am having so much fun with this great title. The 3D is absolutely fantastic. I'm super impressed by how gorgeous this game looks. Every single detail has so much care and attention. Level 5 are godly sometimes.

i will probably pick this up. I havent really played the other games before besides a few random puzzles here and there because my brother plays it.

Got my copy at Target today and wow! The 3D character models seem so...weird after four games of 2D art. This is going to take some getting used to! Not that far in yet but it's nice to see
a lot more animation right off the bat. Could do w/o minigames like the horse riding bit though, what was that about? Just felt out of place in a Layton game.

NeoRausch

Jeez, still no dice with the daily puzzle. I think i'm gonna shoot a mail to nintendo customer service.

probably just going to end up with a. Standart mail, but worth a try.

Glass Joe

I never played a Layton game so I thought I'd give this a shot. And wow, production values are great. The 3D is some of the best on the system and it's overall gorgeous. I didn't expect it to be as story heavy as it is, but at least it's enjoyable though. Kind of like a Sherlock Holmes with a boy Watson.

Only minor quibble so far is the bitrate on the cutscenes could be a little better - artifacts are pretty obvious on the XL. Oh, and the puzzle of the day seems to be broken... it acts like it's going to download, then complains about my SD card halfway though the download. Hopefully that will be corrected soon.

Jeez, still no dice with the daily puzzle. I think i'm gonna shoot a mail to nintendo customer service.

probably just going to end up with a. Standart mail, but worth a try.

The funny thing is that launch games didn't even support DLC. So the game is most likely just trying to download an unlock key for the puzzle, like it did in previous Layton games on the DS. And they can't even get that right.

dc89

I love the Japanese cover art.
My GF picked it up on Friday, I'm only just playing the 3rd installment. But she says this is really good.

NeoRausch

The funny thing is that launch games didn't even support DLC. So the game is most likely just trying to download an unlock key for the puzzle, like it did in previous Layton games on the DS. And they can't even get that right.

yupp....or maybe they tried to change something in the way the download system works and totally fucked it up.

just pumped an angry mail out. can't wait for my "dear customer.....blablupp..." replie.

Having played this one for about 4 hours now I can say i'm really enjoying it a lot more than Spectre's Call.
Visuals and the 3D effect are very nice, I almost forgot how good 3D can look when it's applied well.

piteru

Banned
the daily puzzle thing is a joke
have already sent tweets to nintendo europe,nintendo uk,level5 even in hino and havent got a reply.
has anybody sent an email in the customer service?

So for a guy that only completed the first Layton on DS, is Miracle Mask a good game to jump in again?

yes.although i suggest if you find the other layton games in good price,go and buy them ;)

NeoRausch

the daily puzzle thing is a joke
have already sent tweets to nintendo europe,nintendo uk,level5 even in hino and havent got a reply.
has anybody sent an email in the customer service?

yes.although i suggest if you find the other layton games in good price,go and buy them ;)

just did (nintendo), no reply yet.

gerudoman

Did anyone noticed that this is one of the longest ot Layton ever have? I think the last Layton game died at page 3 or 4 . I got the game yesterday ( shop does not care about street date) but the dlc is not up yet..... 3d is nice surprised that the animation have 3d too :-D

Yeah, the few repercussion of its games in Gaf has always baffled me. I guess Layton isn't as popular in America as it is in Europe or Japan.

Judging by the comments it seems that the visuals have been a pleasant surprise for most of us. I can't wait to see how good will Ace Attorney 5 look in our consoles!

NeoRausch

thank you!
looking forward for any update
i wouldn't hope for anthing beside the usual PR blurp.
"dear stoofies customer! thanks for you support. we can't get into detail about that problem at the moment, please visit our sit for updates on that. blablabla"

wanna bet? ;)

Chunky

So for a guy that only completed the first Layton on DS, is Miracle Mask a good game to jump in again?
I'd say since they're all similarly excellent (3 being the best) you're probably better off just doing them in order.
5 is coming off of 4 and the movie as well, afaik, so you might get a bit lost.

gerudoman

It seems that NoE is aware of the downloadables puzles error, in the game's survey they ask you about the daily puzles and one of the options you can choose is "I've tried to download additional puzles but it hasn't worked". Let's see if they can fix it quickly.

Sheik

Did a trade 1 deal at Future Shop to get this game today. It wasn't even on shelves. I had to ask somebody if they had them in stock and he got them from the back.

Just cracked it open but so far I'm impressed by how much better the animation clips look. And in 3D too!

Let's go~

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Cancelled my $30 newegg preorder for this when I figured VLR would last me a while. Blew through that insanely fast though and now I'm wishing I didn't lol.

Hopefully it drops to $20 quickly like the DS titles

piteru

Banned
2 things that bother me

a)why nintendo hasnt responde to the problem(searched twitter and is a common thing)
b)when they fix it,are we going to get the previous puzzles..

Just started on this yesterday night!

I've only put in about two hours into it, but it looks and feels fantastic :) I really like the animations in 3D, and the cel shaded look makes them remain cartoony (which I also like). Used to be that there wasn't much animation to keep track of in the Layton games, so I would concentrate mostly on the dialog boxes, but I've noticed myself trying to split my attention between the animations and the dialog boxes. Feels weird sometimes!

Looking for hint coins has become far less clicky now, which is a big plus for me. Now it gives you an investigation mode which lets you scan by 'mousing' over the screen with a magnifying glass. If you come across something hidden that you can click/tap on, the magnifying glass changes. This is much smoother and less intensive than clicking every pixel in the area.

The puzzles so far have been pretty great too. They've been kind of easy so far (I'm still early in the game though), but I still had to work things out and be careful about the information presented. The 3D used for some of the puzzles seem nice so far, although now the instructions and problem details have to exist in a drop down on the bottom screen. This is problematic sometimes because it shares space with the memo tool, so switching back and forth between the two was slightly irritating for the puzzles that I needed to do that for.

And the most important part:
BUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNYBUNNY

:3

The robot mini game is nice too, I always like the pathfinding/positioning minigames that show up in Layton.

braves01

Banned
Only minor quibble so far is the bitrate on the cutscenes could be a little better - artifacts are pretty obvious on the XL.

That's a little disappointing. It's been terrible in all the other games, too, and I was hoping they'd finally find a way to fix it for this one.

So I think it was puzzle 12 the luggage stacking mini game I kind of got completely dumb luck and guessed the correct answer on my first try lol

zroid

Banned
Blasting through Last Specter now so I can get to this sooner. 100 puzzles solved now, shouldn't be much longer!

Foffy

Banned
Wait, Nintendo's only offering puzzles on specific days? Meaning like if I bought the game twenty days after launch, I only get a puzzle for THAT day? I miss all of the previous ones? I wanted to do Last Specter first before I even buy this..

Top Bottom