• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

I hope it is EST. I live in BRDT (GMT 3+ with daylight savings) region (I don't even know if this acronym is actually used, lol), and waiting for midnight PST would suuuuck :(

NSMB2 was EST, so if it has a midnight release than I imagine it will indeed be at 12 AM EST.

I'm just trying to figure out if it indeed is having a midnight release. I know they did one for Mario, but that's a big game... Did Crosswords or Art Academy go up at midnight on their release dates?

Oh wow, they JUST added it after I made that post. haha I did the same thing and searched for it and it was still saying coming soon. But they added it to the front page.

Nice

Hopefully it doesn't take too long to download. What's 6000 blocks equal? That's a good 3 times the size of NSMB2.

Smellycat

I am getting it tomorrow (as in 10/29) with the b2g1 free deal at Target. Hard to resist.

I will get Layton + 999 sequel (but scared of this bug people are talking about) + Mario 3D Land.

Keyouta

Is it faster selecting "Download later" and doing it through sleep mode, or using the "download now" option? Or does it not matter?

Did anyone noticed that this is one of the longest ot Layton ever have? I think the last Layton game died at page 3 or 4 . I got the game yesterday ( shop does not care about street date) but the dlc is not up yet..... 3d is nice surprised that the animation have 3d too :-D

zroid

Banned
Have the Layton buzz right now so I went back to Last Specter. Will try to rush through it so i can get started on Miracle Mask asap.

Did anyone noticed that this is one of the longest ot Layton ever have? I think the last Layton game died at page 3 or 4 . I got the game yesterday ( shop does not care about street date) but the dlc is not up yet..... 3d is nice surprised that the animation have 3d too :-D
Huh, and here I thought it was weird for this OT to have few replies... guess it's like this.
The game's 6323 blocks, by the way. I think that's like 800 MB?

I'll start my save tomorrow. I'm just wrapping up The Walking Dead's last episode so that I can concentrate fully on Layton, until ep. 5 comes around that is.
I'm worried about the story (I've read that it's not as good, and the last one's was just plain bad) and I did a pretty good job avoiding Level 5's spoiler-plagued trailers. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

Anyone getting an error message about their SD card when trying to download the daily puzzle? Hoping its just because they might not have started that yet.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Anyone getting an error message about their SD card when trying to download the daily puzzle? Hoping its just because they might not have started that yet.
Indeed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
c8ek884w290p98sbb.png

c8ek7tbpsi6v71gt3.png

This here is the worst kind of corporate misuse of resources. Do the regional differences really require a slightly different logo? Different shape bubbles? A different hero crop? A different slogan format? Aa different style of purple background? Is there any data to validate that any of these choices make the game any more successul in the respective region than the other regions choice? No. It's vanity, driven by too much resource being available at local level and people wanting to do something creative, and not wanting to admit that the other region did an ok job. Really pisses me off in how wasteful it is.

Love Layton anyway!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Downloading it! I was surprised by the size... I need a bigger SD card.
I thought more GAFfers would be downloading it right now :(

I checked the 3DS right after midnight and game was there...very tempting...but no, not using this unless they're discounted

Oxx

This here is the worst kind of corporate misuse of resources. Do the regional differences really require a slightly different logo? Different shape bubbles? A different hero crop? A different slogan format? Aa different style of purple background? Is there any data to validate that any of these choices make the game any more successul in the respective region than the other regions choice? No. It's vanity, driven by too much resource being available at local level and people wanting to do something creative, and not wanting to admit that the other region did an ok job. Really pisses me off in how wasteful it is.

Love Layton anyway!

At least the name is the same this time.

Europe has the same style of cover they always had. Looks like the US just independently tried to ape that style with the six bubbles and the motive in the middle.

I checked the 3DS right after midnight and game was there...very tempting...but no, not using this unless they're discounted

I don't understand why so many of you guys expect a discount. Games on Demand on the 360 aren't discounted, retail games on PSN aren't discounted, Steam games aren't discounted (except during a sale.) There's no precedent for discounts on digital versions of games.

Regardless, I played a little bit before bed last night and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's nice to finally see some graphical changes to the series. Livens things up a bit.

I don't understand why so many of you guys expect a discount. Games on Demand on the 360 aren't discounted, retail games on PSN aren't discounted, Steam games aren't discounted (except during a sale.) There's no precedent for discounts on digital versions of games.

Regardless, I played a little bit before bed last night and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's nice to finally see some graphical changes to the series. Livens things up a bit.

Actually, quite a few digital Vita games are discounted, so there is a direct precedent that would cause people to expect it....

NeoRausch

I'm having the same SD problem for the daily downloadable puzzle :/

It's not on your side. Everybody has that problem. I hope it gets fixed soon.

I can't speak for the others but on PSN at least older games get cheaper.
on the eshop not so much. We had a few discounts but selling Pilotwings for full price as a download is pretty dumb.

zroid

Banned
Nice try, but they were being discounted $4 or $5 off retail since launch, long before it was clear the system was dead in the water.

The thing about Vita games is, at launch, they're (sometimes) 10% off on PSN. A small discount, yes, but worth noting. However, unlike Nintendo-published 3DS games -- ie, those available on the eShop -- most Vita game prices at retail quickly drop by $10-20, while their PSN prices remain what they were to begin with.

Nintendo games, while never cheaper on the eShop, will at the very least be about on par with their cost at retail. Vita games in most realistic cases are more expensive on PSN than at retail.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Future Shop has a trade in 1 get it free deal for Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. I'm debating whether or not to pick it up due to my limited exposure the the series (only ever playing Curious Village).

It seems worth it, since I can trade in Lollipop Chainsaw (it's only $20) for it.

Just wondering if I'd be totally lost or not.

vladdamad

Future Shop has a trade in 1 get it free deal for Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. I'm debating whether or not to pick it up due to my limited exposure the the series (only ever playing Curious Village).

It seems worth it, since I can trade in Lollipop Chainsaw (it's only $20) for it.

Just wondering if I'd be totally lost or not.

I'm around two-thirds of the way through, and so far the game's story has been pretty stand-alone, despite being a direct sequel to Last Specter. Not sure how the ending will turn out, but I think it's pretty safe for you to go for it. If you have the chance, though, do have a go at Lost Future, best in the series, imo

Montresor

I finish work at 9pm in downtown Toronto. Is there any store that's going to be open that late on a Sunday night? I want to go out and buy a 3ds XL and the new Layton now, haha.

NTom64

I love the robot minigame music. :3

And the music in general gives me more of a JRPG vibe than the previous games. I like it.

Agreed. The carnival at the start of the game gave me massive Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle vibes.

Enjoying the game so far, but some of the puzzles seem to be following Unwound Future's method of puzzling solving where the answer should be obvious, but due to the fact that something was hidden you get it wrong.

This wouldn't matter so much if they weren't mandatory, but a few of them are. Beyond that it's a decent game. I actually quite like the 3D models and environments and in general the presentation is excellent.

M3d10n

Just downloaded it, it's around 790MBs. Damn, the game does look better than expected. Nice antialiasing in 3D and great depth as well. Now, I'm off to a great Layton Sunday.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

and this is why I never bought new console games digitally, besides the eShop ones. First, price is higher than what you find online, second, i can't resell the game and get some money back

I understand it has to be the way it is, though

Top Bottom