• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and The Miracle Mask |OT| This Is Another Layton Game (But In 3D)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Playing it, enjoying it.
I think that the change of platform, with the new estetic, the 3d effect and the slight changes to the exploration-minigame sessions are really welcome.
Plus, great OST and animation for the cut-scene as usual, and an overall fantastic atmosphere as usual are here for a great product.

watershed

Banned
The presentation in this game is top-notch. At first the 3d models were a little strange but after adjusting to it, the whole game just clicks. Its kind of cool to see a series make a great transition to the next gen right before your eyes.

The Giant

Banned
Just got a spotpass saying that the downloaded puzzles are now available.

Edit: It downloaded fine without any problems.

Cool, I'll check it out when I get home.
Australia did get the game a day later than Europe, though. So they should have a different schedule and maybe someone competent is pushing the buttons over there.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I just downloaded the German version... it's only in German isn't it?

Shit.

So, does this Layton feel more "gamey"? One of the reasons I didn't like the previous entries is because it felt more like a visual novel with puzzles strung together by a bizarre narrative.

Is there more gameplay? Do you actually move around and explore?

zroid

Banned
That's disappointing. I love the art design, but I find the "gameplay" uninspiring. I was hoping it might be more evolved this time around. Sad.

Layton really is entirely story and puzzle driven. Maybe after the second trilogy ends next year, they might try to take the series in a slightly different direction.

NeoRausch

i can confirm that the daily puzzles are now available... at least in europe....germany.

qyQQ9.jpg

ktdPe.jpg

and just in time i've got a mail from Nintendo saying that they are looking into it and that i won't miss any puzzles! THANKS! i just wanted it to work as advertised!

edit:

Sehr geehrter Herr SUPERAWESOME!

Danke, dass Sie uns geschrieben haben.
Die Rätsel des Tages von "Professor Layton und die Maske der Wunder" sind derzeit noch nicht verfügbar. Selbstverständlich arbeiten wir mit Hochdruck an einer Lösung.
Bitte versuchen Sie den Download zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt. Sollte es auch in den nächsten Tagen nicht möglich sein, ein Rätsel herunterzuladen, können Sie sich gerne erneut an uns wenden.
In diesem Zusammenhang teilen wir Ihnen gerne mit, dass Sie kein Rätsel verpassen. Alle bislang veröffentlichten Rätsel stehen dauerhaft zum Download zur Verfügung.
Sicher sind diese Informationen hilfreich für Sie. Wir wünschen Ihnen viel Spaß mit unseren Produkten.
Sie haben weitere Fragen? Ihr Nintendo-Team ist gerne für Sie da.

Herzliche Grüße aus Großostheim

just a rought translation with my rock'nroll english:

dear mr. superawesome!
thanks for writing in.
the daily puzzle is not available atm. but of course we are working on a solution. please try to download them again later. if shit dosn't work anyhow contact use again, 'cause we take any spank on the butt with a smile.
and be sure that you are not going to miss any daily puzzle. every puzzle will be available for download later.
of course this shit was super usefull for you, right? enjoy our products... if they work.
you got more questions we won't really answere? your nintendo team is there for standart PR answeres!

this translation is free form and not what she said! ;)

Looks like there's a minigame attached to the daily puzzles where you furnish the room on the top screen. The 2D art is cute, so I kinda dig it. :3

The puzzles themselves are not as handcrafted as they could be, though. They are fairly simple and will repeat themselves pretty regularly, I think.

NeoRausch

Looks like there's a minigame attached to the daily puzzles where you furnish the room on the top screen. The 2D art is cute, so I kinda dig it. :3

The puzzles themselves are not as handcrafted as they could be, though. They are fairly simple and will repeat themselves pretty regularly, I think.

i had characters from the game appear/dissapear there randomly (?). nice touch though.

NeoRausch

I got a comfy couch!... The rest is pretty barren for now. That's gonna take awhile.

i guess your guest gonna stay/do something the more stuff you get.

protonion

One hour in and I'm floored by the presentation. Each puzzle has unique graphics on the top screen reacting to your moves. They put a lot of work to the game for sure.
I just did the daily puzzles and hidden door stuff from the previous game. Good stuff!
I'm gonna take my time with this!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Daily puzzles not able to read my SDHC for some reason. Could be problems reading a HC card, given that this is a JPN launch title? Or are the daily puzzles still down for NA?

Foffy

Banned
Wait, Nintendo's only offering puzzles on specific days? Meaning like if I bought the game twenty days after launch, I only get a puzzle for THAT day? I miss all of the previous ones? I wanted to do Last Specter first before I even buy this..

Can anyone answer this for me, pretty please? <3

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Daily puzzles not able to read my SDHC for some reason. Could be problems reading a HC card, given that this is a JPN launch title? Or are the daily puzzles still down for NA?
Not being able to access the SDHC was the standard error message everybody was getting here in the EU until NOE fixed the problem earlier today.

NeoRausch

Can anyone answer this for me, pretty please? <3

nope, one puzzle everyday for one year (hence the additional 365 puzzles). you ALWAYS can download them. if you buy this game by one year and start the download you will unlock the full set of 365 puzzles.

Foffy

Banned
nope, one puzzle everyday for one year (hence the additional 365 puzzles). you ALWAYS can download them. if you buy this game by one year and start the download you will unlock the full set of 365 puzzles.

Okay, wonderful. <3

Glass Joe

Everyone was getting an SD card error. Your card is fine. Maybe try updating now though. I'm in the US and the daily puzzles are working for me now.

SlaughterKing said:

I'm thinking you're right. Probably about 25 or so puzzles with the rest being different variations? Judging by the menu on the bottom screen, anyway.

Weird said:
I got a comfy couch!... The rest is pretty barren for now. That's gonna take awhile.

Yeah I got a couch too. Kind of a nice touch, I guess with more daily puzzles solved, you'll be decorating the room. Minor shame you can't seem to move stuff where you want, but it's still a nice addition.

Drago

Also, Best Buy's new price match policy works for online prices too. Just picked it up during my lunch break and showed them the Sears page on my iPhone.
This eases all of my concerns

Will pick this up in a few minutes for $20 then. Excited! Will be my first Layton :3

Oh thank goodness, I was worried about this as well. Gotta wait till I get home for my internets though :p

I really like the cut scenes in 3D; they look freakin' awesome. I like the 3D characters as well, but the cut scenes are amazing. I also love all the little 3-Details (lol)

Drago

Alright, got it from Best Buy for $20. Twas a fantastic experience, good people working at the store :D
No WiiU demos though :/

Will start it in a few. Hope I like it!

Probably gonna pick this up today with price matching at Best Buy. (Yeah I'm cheap like that >.>)

It'll be my first Layton game, so excited! Should I hold off on playing this until I get (and finish) The Last Specter? Or can I play this, and then go back to The Last Specter without getting spoiled on anything?

Top Bottom