• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

Sadist

jsafjVw6IdxwH.png

Genre: puzzle/adventure
Developers: Level 5 and Capcom
Publisher: Level 5 (Japan) and Nintendo (PAL)
Platform: 3DS
Releasedates:
- November 29 2012 (Japan)
- March 28 2014 (Europe)
- March 29 2014 (Australia)
- TBD 2014 (North America)
Audio/text options available: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Dutch

Two great minds clash

During the Level 5 Vision press conference on the 19th of October 2010 it was announced that Hershell Layton and Phoenix Wright would star in their in their very own cross-over game: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright. This game will combine the puzzle solving gameplay from the Professor Layton series together with Ace Attorney’s well known courthouse adventures. While Professor Layton and his trusty assistant Luke Triton will look for clues and puzzles, Phoenix Wright will be assisted by Maya Fey during his cross examinations of witnesses and defendants.

So… those four meeting up? How does that happen?

In the city of London we see a young girl named Espella running away from a mysterious force. Her goal is to find Professor Layton and ask him for help. She succeeds, but is eventually captured. Layton and his assistant Luke are intrigued by the case and their investigation leads them to a strange book. The book transports them to a medieval world called Labyrinthia, which is controlled by the mysterious Storyteller. At the same time, Phoenix Wright and Maya Fey are travelling to London for business. Not long after their arrival they find the same strange book that Layton did and are transported to Labyrinthia as well.

There they find Espella has been accused of being a witch; apparently witches hide in the shadows of this medieval town and they have reason to believe that Espella has magical powers. As usual Phoenix feels the need to step up and defend the girl. But in this world the law has a set of different rules. What is the real meaning of this case? What secrets are hidden in Labyrinthia? And can Layton and Phoenix work together as a team? Find out!

Trailer

EU announcement including Shibata Ace Attornery
Nintendo Direct portion with Professor Shibata
Hino (Level 5) on the game
Gameplay trailer

Screenshots

jkntUG0qitsmr.png

j2SdTTP2F3nu8.png

jhrujvNbM8Hki.png

jbo5EfNeOcziEK.png

Other useful links

Iwata Asks: Hino and Takumi
Official Nintendo product page
Professor Layton-series Wikipedia
Ace Attorney-series Wikipedia
NeoGAF review thread

Wait, this Ace Attorney game gets a physical release? Fascinating.

I know right?

Ath

The first reveal trailer for the game in October 2010 was what really got me excited about the 3DS. I've been waiting a long time for this clash. Can't wait.

Lusankya

So, if I've never played a Layton game, but love the AA series, would I probably be into this?

I guess so. Most reviewers especially liked the Phoenix parts of the game, so you should be fine. However Professor Layton is a very good series in its own right.

Kazerei

Banned
Supposedly the game starts out as a Layton game for the first 1-1.5 hours, so those of you who are new to Layton will find out very quickly what it's like.

GSR

Looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions to the game! Weird to think it's been three and a half years since it was announced.

Also I (and any other GAFfers who've already played the JP version) can answer any questions.

Sorian

Banned
Weird to think it's been three and a half years since it was announced.

When I first saw the announcement, I may have had a mini-orgasm. Little did I know that a new ace attorney would be announced and released in a playable format for me with this game still not having a release date.

GSR

When I first saw the announcement, I may have had a mini-orgasm. Little did I know that a new ace attorney would be announced and released in a playable format for me with this game still not having a release date.

It is kind of crazy. If Nintendo pushes the US release back very much it's going to hit America almost four years after the announcement.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It is kind of crazy. If Nintendo pushes the US release back very much it's going to hit America almost four years after the announcement.

I bet it'll get announced at the next Direct. I mean after Yoshi and Kirby, Nintendo hasn't revealed much on what's on the horizon. Smash will likely come in the Fall. They need a summer/early Fall title to promote. This will probably be it.

Green Yoshi

From a German review by M!Games (85% score):

- Only 70 Layton puzzles, but these are better presented. No boring math/logic puzzles.

- Better story than in the last two Layton games

- Trials not so crazy as in the main series

- Several witnesses, that react to each others testimonies

- 25 hours of play time

- 40% story/exploring, 40% trials, 20% puzzles

I have to quickly polish off the Azran legacy before this hits.
I remember hating the 3D designs of Professor Layton but they are starting to grow on me.
Even if he is still really weird looking.
Pheonix looks good in 3D

TlsNjud.gif

This week already? Fucking time man, it flies. Also goddamn it 3DS, I'm just about to finish BD and now I already gotta continue with this.
I hope the 45€ tag from Amazon isn't universal though.

MrBadger

The visual style's really growing on me. The character models aren't quite up to the level of Dual Destinies but there's a style to them I like.

Will be picking this up as soon as I can! I recently finished Azran Legacy and I've been waiting for a new Phoenix Wright ever since I beat Dual Destinies.

Also I like how the case 1 lawyer's called Flynch. Right in line with the Payne brothers.

So fucking in.

I have played the 5 main Ace Attorney games over the course of 7 months and I can say that is one of my favourite series of all time.

Will tolerate the Layton stuff to get to the tasty bits.

Lusankya

Official EU homepages of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright are now up.

English: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nin...on-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney-845517.html
German: http://www.nintendo.de/Spiele/Ninte...n-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney--845517.html
Dutch: http://www.nintendo.nl/Spellen/Nint...n-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney--845517.html
Italian: http://www.nintendo.it/Giochi/Ninte...n-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney--845517.html
French: http://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Nintend...n-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney--845517.html
Spanish: http://www.nintendo.es/Juegos/Ninte...n-vs-Phoenix-Wright-Ace-Attorney--845517.html

So we now also know the names for Jodola:
Eng: High Inquisitor Darklaw
Ger: Großinquisitorin Gloria
Dut: Hooginquisiteur Darvell
Ita: Sommo Inquisitore Laura
Fra: Grande Inquisitrice Aurora
Esp: Suma Inquisidora Diana

Btw. you might want not to click on Luke's profile, because the image is kinda spoilery. I don't know why they used it.

Edit: Oh, also Maya apparently is now a huge fan of noodles and not burgers anymore. ;)

The reviews are coming in pretty well. An 8/10 from Gamespot on a Nintendo game gives me hope. I just wish we had a release date here in NA. It is so not fair there is zero word about a release. I cannot wait to play this game!

Is there anything storywise that might be ruined / not understood if I've yet to play Azran Legacy and Dual Destinies?

Apparently it is another world story, and the game came out before both AL and DD in Japan. So you won't miss anything if you played either franchise. I believe the setting is during the original trilogy of both games.

Azran Legacy needs some breathing room though.

Thing to always remember is years gone by (or now if we're talking about SMTIV *sigh*) Europeans have had to put up with these sorts of waits.

All 6 languages are on the cart, right? Otherwise I'll have to order it from the UK if I want to play it in English. I'm just wondering because the Layton games never have a language option here.

The game that just keeps sneaking up on me, should be interesting to see how this mismash of styles turns out.

From a German review by M!Games (85% score):

- Only 70 Layton puzzles, but these are better presented. No boring math/logic puzzles

YES!

- Only 70 Layton puzzles, but these are better presented. No boring math/logic puzzles

NO!
Why this is the perfect game for spotting which one of A, B, C, or D is a filthy liar, oh well I suppose I'll just get my lie exposing kicks from the courtroom.

GSR

Btw. you might want not to click on Luke's profile, because the image is kinda spoilery. I don't know why they used it.

No kidding. The NoE Twitter was also flirting with spoilers earlier today. Might be best to go on media blackout if you don't want to get spoiled.

Two of the witnesses in court got names as well: Wordsmith and Kira.

GSR

NO!
Why this is the perfect game for spotting which one of A, B, C, or D is a filthy liar, oh well I suppose I'll just get my lie exposing kicks from the courtroom.

No math/logic puzzles? Preorder cancelled.

While I certainly don't remember as many as in normal Layton games, there are definitely still some math and logic ones (one in particular comes to mind.)

Lusankya

All 6 languages are on the cart, right? Otherwise I'll have to order it from the UK if I want to play it in English. I'm just wondering because the Layton games never have a language option here.

Just set your 3DS system language to English and you're fine.
I can only tell for the German translation but it seems to be great, so maybe you want to try out your native language as well.

Two of the witnesses in court got names as well: Wordsmith and Kira.
Indeed. They also have different names in all the other versions. Do you intend to include all PLvAA characters on court-records.net?

No math/logic puzzles? Preorder cancelled.

no but seriously I'm gonna cry if there are sliding puzzles >_>
I forgot to even consider the possibility of my story progression being slowed by a rogue sliding puzzle which would be all the more painful in a game which I have to assume will have a more engaging story than standard Layton fare, I will abuse hint coins with no shame when they inevitably arrive.

While I certainly don't remember as many as in normal Layton games, there are definitely still some math and logic ones (one in particular comes to mind.)
I can deal with less of both, I guess it wont feel right If I don't suffer through at least one maths related puzzle.

GSR

Indeed. They also have different names in all the other versions. Do you intend to include all PLvAA characters on court-records.net?

Yes, though it's a little trickier to format because not every character has a profile pic in this game. (In fact, comparatively few do.)

Also I (and any other GAFfers who've already played the JP version) can answer any questions.

Is the difficutly of the trial sections closer to the first 3 AA games or easier like Apollo Justice/ Dual Destinies ?

Thanks in advance.

GSR

Is the difficutly of the trial sections closer to the first 3 AA games or easier like Apollo Justice/ Dual Destinies ?

Thanks in advance.

It's definitely one of the easier games, but I don't recall it being quite as hand-holdy as DD was.

Muzy72

Banned
Will I be fine if I pick this up without ever touching the Layton series? Or should I pick up the original trilogy?

Doopliss

I saw a couple of reviews mention downloadable... something (puzzle packs?). Does anyone know if that's like daily/weekly puzzles or is it paid DLC?

Top Bottom