• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Wright vs Layton - "This reminds me of a courtroom trial!" *SPOILERS*

Rymuth

I've decided to tackle my 3DS backlog since it's threatening to swallow me whole and first on my list was this game that I've put off for so long. All in all, it was a great Layton adventure and I've enjoyed it far more than the 'prequel trilogy' with Emmy Altava. Not exactly sure why, but the prequel trilogy never quite reached the heights of the first three games.

Some thoughts

- This was definitely a Level-5 game. Layton gets to be cooler than Phoenix. Sure, they keep making him tell Nick how important he is but it rang hollow when he was mostly playing catch up to Hershel.

- Initially I was annoyed that the final solution seemed to be a re-tread of Unwound Future's twist (fake town created to trick someone) but after the reasons became clear, I found it kinda grew on me

- The characters played surprisingly well against one another. Luke/Nick and Layton/Maya were endearing

- The multiple witness mechanic was GREAT. I hope it makes a return in future titles.

- Poor Barnham got shafted in the finale. He wouldn't even partake in the final trial and he just showed up post-credits as a chauffeur.

- Emeer is the best.

What did you think of Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright?

It's a fantastic game. I loved how you had to consider the spells and magic during trials, the multiple witness is really fun, Phoenix and Maya were really the trilogy characters and Layton adventure elements are better for the investigation parts than the usual AA investigation.

I'm not really into Layton, so I can't talk much about his side, but I enjoyed him and Luke and the "twist" was fun and made sense to me - I was always aware something like that would happen considering what I know about Layton.

As someone who disliked both AA5 and AA6, this game proves to me how great Shu Takumi is as a director and writer.

Spell-breaker is also the best Cornered theme.

Top Bottom