• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

Zornica

Banned
Edit: Oh, also Maya apparently is now a huge fan of noodles and not burgers anymore. ;)

hasn't that always been the case for all past pal versions?
It's been a while, but I can't remember that much Americanism with the non-US/non-english-versions I played. I could be wrong though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I really wish Nintendo would announce an US release date one of these days, especially with EU getting it soon. Enjoy the AA series & been meaning to check out the PL series, so this looks like a great starting point.

GSR

Will I be fine if I pick this up without ever touching the Layton series? Or should I pick up the original trilogy?

It's probably best if you've played at least one Layton game, but there's no real necessary knowledge.

Lusankya

Some Amazon statistics

Germany - Ranked #72 in games (price 44.99€)
Italy - Ranked #57 in games (price 42.31€)
UK - Ranked #15 in games (price 37.98€)
Spain - Ranked #11 in games (price 37.95€)
France - Ranked #10 in games (price 35.99€)

Amazon.de and .it need to reduce the price below 40€, then I am pretty sure this game will get close to the top 10-20 there as well.

Zornica

Banned
Some Amazon statistics

Germany - Ranked #72 in games (price 44.99€)
Italy - Ranked #57 in games (price 42.31€)
UK - Ranked #15 in games (price 37.98€)
Spain - Ranked #11 in games (price 37.95€)
France - Ranked #10 in games (price 35.99€)

Amazon.de and .it need to reduce the price below 40€, then I am pretty sure this game will get close to the top 10-20 there as well.

The price is probably not the issue here. It's more likely most people just abandoned Amazon after the scandals from last year. And in all honesty, I did so too. Why would I buy there if they:
1) treat their employees like slaves
2) aren't even the cheapest most of the time anyway (and that's also true for any of the other amazons you listed).
Really no reason to buy there.
I'll just walk into a store and buy it the old fashioned way on my way home.

Will probably be 35 euros at media markt.

Still no trace of the dubs for Spain, Italy, France and Germany it seems.
I want to hear Maya for the first time in spanish, and I suppose Phoenix Wright will also have changed from his objection voice.
Not even the microsite have voice extracts like the Star Fox 3ds one :(

gerudoman

My copy arrived in the post this morning, I have to say I expected to get it tomorrow, so kudos to Game!

The models are definetely a step back from Dual Destinies and Azran Legacies, but they look much better than I expected. The backgrounds are gorgeous though, I'd say more detailed than the ones of Azran. Voice acting in trials is quite out of place at first, but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it. The soundtrack is really something else.

jtm33

Neo Member
Only a few more days! Going to pick this up locally I think, I like the new trend of new 3DS games being available sub-$50 locally, it makes importing nowhere near as attractive.

Peff

yOD7wkw.jpg

Three years and a half after the announcement! Bit of a bummer Nintendo has pretty much abandoned the nice backcover designs that fit with the holes in the case lately.

GSR

Cool to see folks are getting their hands on it!

I'm curious - what's the full name of the victim in the first trial? (And apologies ahead of time for all the "how'd they translate X" questions I'm going to wind up asking.)

Also, I guess we could use a spoiler thread soon. Any ideas for subtitles? I'm partial to "Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spoiler Thread | Burn the Witch!"

Amazon haven't posted mine yet :(.
Hopefully they send it out early tomorrow. Honestly though, I could do with it turning up on saturday for after making it through the gauntlet of work I need to finish this week.

JeTmAn81

Oh shit is it finally time? It's coming out after all these years? HELL YE......

OH. Nevermind then :/

I have to imagine this will be out in NA later in the year, perhaps Fall. They're probably just delaying it so they don't have two Layton games released in such close proximity.

Santiako

It kills me to not be able to buy this at the moment :'(, but as soon as I crawl out of my current poverty status I'll get this for sure.

I have to imagine this will be out in NA later in the year, perhaps Fall. They're probably just delaying it so they don't have two Layton games released in such close proximity.

I guess the question is: why did America get Azran Legacy so late? Is the NSTC version any different than the UK?

Peff

Holy shit, the map screen shows how many hidden coins and puzzles there are in each area. How did this take so long to be implemented and why wasn't it in Azran Legacy!?

Axelums

Neo Member
Mine arrived this morning, The Game Collection got it to me early, excited to start it.

BjrEairIQAEsBTE.jpg

Even though I'm 2 Layton games and 1 Wright game behind....

GSR

Holy shit, the map screen shows how many hidden coins and puzzles there are in each area. How did this take so long to be implemented and why wasn't it in Azran Legacy!?

The magnifying glass also sparkles if there's a hint coin where you're pointing it. They really did some streamlining of Layton's parts to help out new players. You can probably argue that makes it too easy, but honestly I prefer it to madly tapping everywhere.

Peff

The magnifying glass also sparkles if there's a hint coin where you're pointing it. They really did some streamlining of Layton's parts to help out new players. You can probably argue that makes it too easy, but honestly I prefer it to madly tapping everywhere.

Yeah, it's not like it actually tells you where they are anyway, so it's a pretty decent compromise. Weird that they didn't keep it for the next Layton.

gerudoman

I'm curious - what's the full name of the victim in the first trial? (And apologies ahead of time for all the "how'd they translate X" questions I'm going to wind up asking.)
You mean the cook chick? If so, her spanish name is Olivia Aldente. Those hips are hypnotic :p

Ath

Copy still hasn't shipped. ShopTo has really let me down on this one. :(
Yeah same, normally ShopTo would have dispatched yesterday and it would have arrived today :( They've even got the picture of my parcel up on the order page, taunting me. Wonder what the hold up is? Hopefully it'll at least arrive on launch day.

Ath

Whaddya know, my copy just arrived! ShopTo just hadn't updated my order status it seems (still showing as 'processing' even now).

Love the music already. Also MAYA!!!! So good to see her back. Phoenix's new voice actor sounded pretty good to me in the first cutscene.

Heh, I've just got the biggest grin on my face right now. Love both Layton and Wright so I've been looking forward to this for so long.

Ithil

So I'm partway into the third Layton and third Ace Attorney games, having finished the first two of both, I am assuming it would be fine for me to play this? It seems like it won't tie in to any of the games.

So I'm partway into the third Layton and third Ace Attorney games, having finished the first two of both, I am assuming it would be fine for me to play this? It seems like it won't tie in to any of the games.

I think it's fine, this game appears to stand alone to the extent that simply playing the first game of both series would be enough just to know the main characters and general gameplay.
As an aside, those third entires for both series are so good.

Omikaru

Whaddya know, my copy just arrived! ShopTo just hadn't updated my order status it seems (still showing as 'processing' even now).

Love the music already. Also MAYA!!!! So good to see her back. Phoenix's new voice actor sounded pretty good to me in the first cutscene.

Heh, I've just got the biggest grin on my face right now. Love both Layton and Wright so I've been looking forward to this for so long.

There is hope!

My post doesn't arrive until between 12 and 1.30, so it should be here at any moment. Good thing I have nothing to do today so if it comes it's Ace Attorney all evening! :D

Tizoc

Aw yeah, Amazon UK just deducted from my card, hopefully I get it by next week.
My friend who is a huge PW fan, will be returning from UK so I can lend him my 3DS to play both AA5 and this once I'm done =D

Peff

It's fine, yes. When it's time for the black background explanation for Maya Phoenix just goes "It'd take too long to explain, she's my assistant" and that's about it. Speaking of the AA part of the game, I was surprised at the first meltdown, both because of the really cool build-up to it (
the camera goes back and forth between Phoenix's explanation and the increasingly nervous guilty party
) and because it's voiced. Too bad the animation itself isn't all that elaborate. Another little detail that shows Level 5's penchant for production values is the fact that every "Hold it!" is voiced now, even the witnesses', which in turn makes the good ol' EVERYONE LOOKS SHOCKED sequences a bit pointless. Also, the models look better than it seemed in motion. There are a bunch of poses with dead eyes, this one being the worst by far, but others look quite natural.

hat_hair

I kind of wish I had some free time before Sunday. That Sunday is going to be pretty good, though.

All these 3DS games are not helping me get around to playing Zelda.

when i bought my 3DS around launch, this was the game that was soothing to me as a glimmer of hope in the barren wasteland of 3DS quality software

now, in 2014, the 3DS has lots of great titles so it doesn't have to play the role of saviour anymore but i still want this as quick as possible

Semajer

My copy arrived. I cried laughing when Luke said it was unusual for it to be raining at this time of the year in England.

Top Bottom