• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

jblank83

Also, Professor Layton is a boss character. He's just awesome, in a calm, collect way, like a gentleman should be, of course. I may have missed out on something good by not playing the games. It's amusing how shoehorned in some of the puzzles are, though. "Well, if you're REALLY Professor Layton SOLVE THIS PUZZLE!" They're really just having fun with it at this point, aren't they?

He is
You did
And they are

Never too late to go get one of the Layton games, though. Unwound Future is the best.

GSR

Chapter 4 is one of my favorite parts of the game.
The shock value of Layton being the victim, Maya the defendant, and Luke a witness, Espella getting to assist, the tragic case with Belduke and Jean, the shock ending...
Just a really solid chapter all around.

Any impressions on the german voice actors ?

I will jump right into the game....when I´m done with my last exam on monday <.<

Good to see so many positive impressions.

McNum

And that's chapter three complete. Well... dang!

Chapter 3 ending spoiler:
When the Storyteller started talking about death by golden curse, I was worried they'd kill Phoenix, at least temporarily. This game doesn't hold back, after all. And then Layton died. ...yeah. I mean, he makes a fine decoration like that once they re-attach the arm, but... THEY KILLED OFF LAYTON! What the hell...?

And now back the the Ace Attorney series running gag. Maya is on trial for murder. Again.

Anyway, onwards to chapter 4! Time to play the part of the game I'm actually GOOD at. Some of those puzzles were just crazy.

Also, I seem to have missed several puzzles. The game says it sent them somewhere, how do I play the puzzles I missed?

TrueBlue

Thanks!

By the way, I know this was mentioned on the last page, but i totally squeed when I recognised Fiora's VA from Xenoblade doing Kira's voice in Chapter 2,

Peff

Also, I seem to have missed several puzzles. The game says it sent them somewhere, how do I play the puzzles I missed?

The Head Librarian character, not sure what her name is in English. She seems to vanish from time to time, though.

Lusankya

They re-used actors from past Layton games for several roles and for some reasons there are some male voices that sound incredibly similar. Otherwise it's solid, although I think the side characters habe better voice actors than some of the main characters.

I will jump right into the game....when I´m done with my last exam on monday <.<

Good to see so many positive impressions.

Not very good for the most part, but at least the main characters are somewhat bearable (while the rest sounds strikingly unnatural and dilettantish). I think I've heard one famous voice though, given to what seems like the big villain.

McNum

And chapter 4 complete. Eeyup.

Dear Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright...

Chapter 4 spoilers:
I ask you to STOP KILLING OFF THE MAIN CAST! We're down to two now.
What a chapter...

So, there are games that don't pull their punches in the story. And then there's games like this that pull out a pair of knives because punches don't hurt enough.

And this isn't even the halfway point?

Jiraiya

Will I be able to follow the story if I have only played the first 2 layton games and only the first ace attorney game?

Peff

It's supposed to be Multi-6, but I'm not certain all 6 are included in all regions' carts. It sounds like at least the German version is missing Spanish and Italian.

I don't think it is anywhere. Spanish version is English/Italian/Spanish, which is the same language distribution as Inazuma Eleven, so it probably follows a similar pattern everywhere else.

Never have I been so annoyed that a preorder (still) hasn't turned up on time. Dammit amazon UK :( Gotta wait 3 weeks now before I can even have time to seriously play it (Have to work the next two weekends in addition to the weekdays...).

Glad it seems that people are enjoying it at least.

Reading all the comments, people are pretty happy with all the european dubs except the english one. Thats a huge surprise, because with Nintendo the majority of times is the otherway round.
Why have they stepped the game this time? I would love to have the rest of Nintendo games dub if its in this quality.
Kid Icarus, even if the english voices were great, needed this. My small cousing had a hrad time following the plot becuase the game is to hetic to read subtitles.

Kouriozan

Why have they stepped the game this time? I would love to have the rest of Nintendo games dub if its in this quality.

I can only speak about the French ones but Layton games have great VAs while Inazuma Eleven range from alright to bad (only the main cast have the same VA of the anime and that's the good ones).

I can only speak about the French ones but Layton games have great VAs while Inazuma Eleven range from alright to bad (only the main cast have the same VA of the anime and that's the good ones).

I always found strange Layton's spanish voice though, but I wouldn't call it bad, it's only, really deep lol Apart from that, things like Star Fox 3DS, Brawl... I always heard the european languages were bad (Star Fox 3DS was really good in spanish, apart from Falco's voice IMO). Seems this one, apart for the english voices, is unanimous good.

They re-used actors from past Layton games for several roles and for some reasons there are some male voices that sound incredibly similar. Otherwise it's solid, although I think the side characters habe better voice actors than some of the main characters.

Not very good for the most part, but at least the main characters are somewhat bearable (while the rest sounds strikingly unnatural and dilettantish). I think I've heard one famous voice though, given to what seems like the big villain.

see/listen for yourself (german opening is near the end)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQiz4U6i_A#t=391

Ugh, Maya sounds awful ...

English it is !

Thanks !

Edit: Well, so much about multi 5 .... monotonous-german-maya it is

daydream

Banned
Ugh, Maya sounds awful ...

English it is !

Thanks !

Edit: Well, so much about multi 5 .... monotonous-german-maya it is

Yeah, she sounds so bored. Doesn't affect me since I go with English no matter what the game.

Btw if you have the German version there's totally English in there. Switching the system language should do it.

Yeah, she sounds so bored. Doesn't affect me since I go with English no matter what the game.

Btw if you have the German version there's totally English in there. Switching the system language should do it.

She reminds me of the VA from "Harvey and Edna" just ....bored and with less charm...

Fantastic news, the english clip sounds a lot better !

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never played any Layton game, but I'm a big fan of Ace Attorney. Hopefully I'll enjoy this crossover, and if I like it enough I may even look into the older Layton games

Are the DS games required for story purposes, or can I jump straight into the 3DS ones?

I never played any Layton game, but I'm a big fan of Ace Attorney. Hopefully I'll enjoy this crossover, and if I like it enough I may even look into the older Layton games

Are the DS games required for story purposes, or can I jump straight into the 3DS ones?

The layton games are split into 3 trilogies with a somewhat coherent plot. In release order, they are (EU names first, then NA in brackets, where they're different)

Present Trilogy: Curious Village- Pandora's Box (Diabolic Box)- Lost Future (Unwound Future)
Past Trilogy: Spectres Call (Last Spectre)-[Layton Movie: The eternal diva]-Miracle Mask- Azran Legacy

Although, frankly, the plot is pretty lightweight in all but Lost Future and maybe Azran legacy, which I would say are the best two. I can't say whether it'd be fine skipping some or not, having not done it, but it might be worth reading a summary of the ones you do skip. I do imagine that for the most part they are independent, but some heel faced turns etc might come a little out of nowhere if you don't play them all.

GSR

Supposedly it's very difficult to pin down a position for the game in either series' timeline.

(edited out my stupid mistake so ha!)

Actually, going by ta few small hints here and there it seems pretty solid that it happens either late in or after T&T for Phoenix, and between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future for Layton.

Actually, going by ta few small hints here and there it seems pretty solid that it happens either late in or after T&T for Phoenix, and between Diabolical Box and Unwound Future for Layton.

If it happens after Trial and Tribulations is good to know he had more adventures with Maya.
I can't wait to see her again in PW6
hope the letter in 5 makes that official

MrBadger

After hearing all the chapter 4 hype, I seriously can't wait until tomorrow when I'm able to buy this.

How are people finding it compared to Dual Destinies? I got the impression that it wasn't as good, from what I heard of this game when it was first released (just impressions, I know no plot details other than what the trailers have shown) because of the inclusion of magic and the over all storytelling, but people here seem to really be having a good time with this game. I'm not expecting this to be better than Trials or Lost Future, so I won't ask about how it compares to them.

t26

Reading all the comments, people are pretty happy with all the european dubs except the english one. Thats a huge surprise, because with Nintendo the majority of times is the otherway round.
Kid Icarus, even if the english voices were great, needed this. My small cousing had a hrad time following the plot becuase the game is to hetic to read subtitles.

I only finished the prologue but I have no problem with the English voice acting so far.

Peff

Hm, I'm finding the trials to be a bit tougher than DD's, but still easy, while the puzzles are probably the easiest of any Layton. Off the top of my head I'd say more than half don't even have fail states. You'd think it'd be the opposite given that most people who play Layton just for the puzzles and aesthetics will probably have a really hard time keeping track of the evidence and previous dialogue that gives contradiction away later on. Especially so because of the limited "lives". Do the coins straight up spoil what you have to do?

*sigh*
I always hate when the japanese dub is not included. Take some lessons from Square, Nintendo.

fire_emblem_awakening9nsj4.png

It's more likely that is Level-5's fault, or that the dub is so long that multiple languages influence heavily on the size of the game

McNum

Hm, I'm finding the trials to be a bit tougher than DD's, but still easy, while the puzzles are probably the easiest of any Layton. Off the top of my head I'd say more than half don't even have fail states. You'd think it'd be the opposite given that most people who play Layton just for the puzzles and aesthetics will probably have a really hard time keeping track of the evidence and previous dialogue that gives contradiction away later on. Especially so because of the limited "lives". Do the coins straight up spoil what you have to do?
The coins don't straight up spoil things in the courtroom. If you need to press a statement, it'll tell you which one, if you need to present evidence it'll grey out half your evidence. And if you need to point out an area on an illustration... it'll pretty much show you exactly where to point. Like the marked area is the same size as the pointer...

Also, completed chapter 6 now. Two words:
"TURNABOUT PUZZLE!"
I knew that had to happen, now I just want to see its counterpart...
A courtroom puzzle!

I don't think I'll say much about the story yet. Other than this
Seeing Maya and Phoenix reunite as well as Layton and Luke was really sweet. And now to see where all of this is going i "Chapter 7: The Story's End." Ominous.

I never liked very much Luke because I found him irritating, but here he is a fucking idiot
im in chapter 4 and I hope what his doing is only a plan to get out the truth because this is worse than apollo being an idiot in PW5 last case. With this kind of friends who needs enemies lol

I only finished the prologue but I have no problem with the English voice acting so far.
Thats not what im hearing from other places, of course opinions and all that, but if it's similar to Dual Destinies english dub I prefer the spanish voices of this game.

Kouriozan

10 mins. in chapter 8 now, so I'll be careful about spoilers.

Chapter 6/7 were really short, but now that things got interesting again I don't mind.
I'm just at the start of the second testimony, I expect crazy stuff but just took a break because it's 2 AM here :p

So, Chapter 4 is still my favorite so far but I have a good feeling about this one!
Oh and I like the trials way more than explorations/puzzles too, and I usually like Professor Layton more than AA x)

Edit : wanted it to be less spoilery just in case.

I never liked very much Luke because I found him irritating, but here he is a fucking idiot
im in chapter 4 and I hope what his doing is only a plan to get out the truth because this is worse than apollo being an idiot in PW5 last case. With this kind of friends who needs enemies lol

Yeah, what a little prick. But then again, Maya has always been an awful sidekick too. If only the end of chapter 4 could be definite :lol

After hearing all the chapter 4 hype, I seriously can't wait until tomorrow when I'm able to buy this.

How are people finding it compared to Dual Destinies? I got the impression that it wasn't as good, from what I heard of this game when it was first released (just impressions, I know no plot details other than what the trailers have shown) because of the inclusion of magic and the over all storytelling, but people here seem to really be having a good time with this game. I'm not expecting this to be better than Trials or Lost Future, so I won't ask about how it compares to them.

I hated anything with spirits in the first AA titles, but I really don't give a shit about magic and whatnot here. The whole premise of the crossover is so absurd, I don't see it as a real AA title anyway. It's a bunch of known characters thrown into a completely separate fantasy/mystery plot/title which is pretty intriguing so far on it's own (but might as well be a new IP). I've already played 15 hours since friday, yikes...

Semajer

So, I've just finished the main game with maximum picrats in about 25 hours. I enjoyed it with the exception of the final trial, which pretty much just gave you all the answers, and was pretty much impossible to predict, which I suppose is very Laytonesque.

I thought the puzzles were good, the first
two
trials were great, and that the music and voices were fantastic. CREDIT SPOILERS:
Edgeworth's
voice was pretty amazing too.
I think that the biggest flaw with the game is the lack of quick scrolling text. I could probably have shaved off an hour or more of time that was spent rereading testimony at painfully slow speeds.

Otherwise I thought the game was fantastic, and anyone even remotely interested in either series should pick it up. I'm now going to start the bonus content, to see what else there is to do.

GSR

So, I've just finished the main game with maximum picrats in about 25 hours. I enjoyed it with the exception of the final trial, which pretty much just gave you all the answers, and was pretty much impossible to predict, which I suppose is very Laytonesque.

two
trials were great, and that the music and voices were fantastic. CREDIT SPOILERS:
Edgeworth's
I think that the biggest flaw with the game is the lack of quick scrolling text. I could probably have shaved off an hour or more of time that was spent rereading testimony at painfully slow speeds.

Otherwise I thought the game was fantastic, and anyone even remotely interested in either series should pick it up. I'm now going to start the bonus content, to see what else there is to do.

Pluggin' the spoiler thread if you want.

Quick question: were the voice actors/actresses listed in the credits?

GSR

Ah, didn't know there was a spoiler thread. Yes, the voice actors and actresses were listed, but only the names, not the characters they played.

That's a shame, but now that I think about it the JP version did the same (except maybe the main characters?)

Still, good to at least have a list. Hope someone collects it together soon.

Semajer

That's a shame, but now that I think about it the JP version did the same (except maybe the main characters?)

Still, good to at least have a list. Hope someone collects it together soon.

This is stolen from GameFAQs, not really any spoilers, but meh, better safe than spoiling:
So I just finished the game and decided to make a note of the VA's listed in the credits, just for fun. I'll also add the roles in brackets if I'm certain of them:

Carina Reeves (Kira)
Christopher Miller (Professor Layton)
David Holt
Emma Tate
Jake Canuso
James Daniel Wilson
Jo Wyatt
Joanna Ruiz
Lewis McLeod
Maria Darling (Luke Triton)
Mark Healy
Peter Egan
Philippa Alexander
Rachel Atkins
Robert Ashby
Samantha Dakin
Tim Watson
Trevor White

See any familiar names there? Carina Reeves also provided the voice for Fiora in Xenoblade and her voice is very recognizable. Jo Wyatt can be heard in the latest Layton game, Azran Legacy (and in Xenoblade too, IIRC) and I'm pretty sure Tim Watson's also been in many "british" dubs.

Also, feel free to contribute: If you can tell for certain what's the role of some of these VA's then make a post and I'll update the opening post when I can. Feel free to also discuss the quality of the voicework etc.

daydream

Banned

two
Edgeworth's

Yeah, slow text speed sucks. I was basically going at B button speed only in AA5. Also not telling you right away that court mistakes subtract from your score. Had to replay the first trial for that reason.

Regginator3

Neo Member
Finished the game.

Was brilliant, especially (massive spoilers):

The ending where the game pretty much confirmed itself as canon due to taking place in the "real world" in a research facility and not in a magical other universe which was pretty much the reason people were calling it non-canon in the first place. Done the first DLC episode which was... interesting, looking forward to future ones which I can imagine will be great.

I want Layton to make an appearance in AA6, now it's established they take place in the same universe. Maybe they could say that's where Maya went, to travel with the professor.

Lusankya

Finished it yesterday after a marathon session. Really a great game.
Although pure Layton fans could be disappointed, because the Layton parts aren't exactly the best in the series, the story is still the best of any game featuring the Professor.

My most favorite parts are the witch trials, especially the first and second one. The new mob trial system is just so much fun and the witnesses are all so crazy and charming. The last trial is really, really long (a little too long?), but at least features the best cross-examination in the entire Ace Attorney series! I won't say why, but all you people should look forward to that.

Also the atmosphere is great, especially the Ace Attorney part really profits from the unusual setting and the magic stuff. The great soundtrack also accentuates this fact.

Overall this is one of the best entries in the AA universe, although it's kinda hard to really rank it among the pure AA games. While the Layton (gameplay) parts aren't anything special, the Professor himself has just such an strong influence on the story, that makes it really hard to treat the crossover as either an AA or PL game. Personally I won't rank it among the other games of either series, because the mixture really gives this game its own "personality" and style, even despite the fact that the two trademark gameplay elements are quite separated from each other.

Finished the first chapter last night. I'm enjoying it quite a lot. Layton-style gameplay makes for a good replacement of the Ace Attorney out-of-court exploration. I kind of wish there was more actual crossover stuff, but maybe that'll come eventually. Right now the two styles are pretty darn separated. I'm going to take my time and enjoy this one.

Top Bottom