• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

TrueBlue

Finished the game myself last night. A fantastic ride, will give more thoughts later on.

Final Chapter spoilers:
If you can, present the wrong evidence when playing as Layton in the final trial. The reactions of Phoenix and Layton are priceless, I was nearly brought to tears through laughing.

protonion

After 12 hours I just finished chapter 3. That last scene!!!!

As a huge fan of both series, I'm in heaven.

I clearly remember somewhat bad impressions after the japanese release. What the hell?
The game is awesome.

Maybe the Layton puzzles are not amazing, but world/characters/plot are probably the best. And for sure lightyears ahead the 2 3DS games.

I don't want it to end :(

Tizoc

Still in the prologue but I'm already loving the Phoenix part more than Layton's!
Oh Maya, I never knew how much I missed you until know.
Whacking Nick with a pipe? Fucking gold.
Also Darklaw is dat hotness, hnnng

After 12 hours I just finished chapter 3. That last scene!!!!

As a huge fan of both series, I'm in heaven.

I clearly remember somewhat bad impressions after the japanese release. What the hell?
The game is awesome.

Maybe the Layton puzzles are not amazing, but world/characters/plot are probably the best. And for sure lightyears ahead the 2 3DS games.

I don't want it to end :(

Yeah i also remember that. Maybe the ending is bad? I'm still in Chapter 4 and is awesome.

GSR

I've noticed for some reason negative reactions about the AA series seem to get magnified. It happened with DD (one post discussing how they felt Athena was a Mary Sue in some ways got blown way out of proportion) and I think it might be happening here.

That said - I don't want to damper anyone's expectations, and I can't speak for everyone, but I felt the end of the game was weaker than the start/middle, and that dragged it down.

Peff

Unfortunately, yeah, the game gets Hino'd at the very end a little bit, but up until the middle-ish of the final trial I really liked it, and that's quite a bit of stuff and fanservice to go through. The new gimmicks for the witnesses are great and hopefully they'll make their way into AA6.

I laughed at how
the twist it's essentially the first three Layton twists rolled into one.

McNum

And... game complete. Yay! With about 150 hint coins left, so that's nice, too. Missed quite a few puzzles, though.

As for the story, well... (Big spoilers of everything!)
What the heck? Are the Professor Layton games always like that? When the storyteller started talking about pharmaceutical companies things got rather odd. Then giant claw machines appeared. And magic was done by people wearing all back and hypnotizing people with a silver bell.

Good fun, overall, though. The Ace Attorney parts are strong enough to stand on their own, but really, the Layton parts just enhance the fun. No more boring investigation parts, because there's puzzles to solve!

Also, (final third spoilers)
The game did live up to its title. Was wondering where the "Vs" came from... until Inquisitor Layton showed up. And of course, he used Edgeworth's animations while playing prosecutor. Seemed rather right.

So, I was asked earlier how I like the Professor Layton part since I came in having only played Ace Attorney. I liked it. Most of the puzzles were rather clever, some were annoying (being colorblind isn't a help here...) and some were a cakewalk. And one of the story ones had me break out pen and paper. I wouldn't mind a failure condition in the puzzle part, but I get why there isn't one. It's a more relaxing pace than the trials.

Oh, and Capcom? Hint Coins in the trials? Steal that for AA6, if you make one. For those moments where Phoenix says the answer is obvious and I don't have a clue, they're awesome. Hint me! Ah, so that's what he's thinking. I think I used more Hint Coins in trials than for puzzles.

Using just one hint coin for a puzzle is pretty useless, though. "Have you considered this very obvious thing?" Yes. Thank you. I wouldn't be pressing the Hint button if I hadn't poked nearly everything... Single Hint Coins are much better value in trials.

In any case, I really liked this game. Fun spin on the Ace Attorney bits and the Layton bits seemed interesting. Fun puzzles.

I've just began chapter 7, I can't believe I'ven been playing that game non-stop since the WE.
I like it a lot more than AA5. The overall whackiness feels much more like a true Shu Takumi game than our ace attorney last official outing.

Kouriozan

Alright, finally finished the game, I can safely read spoilers now :)
I found it really good anyway, I'm not going to say if it's better or worse than game X, but it's really good and the musics are just epic.
Time for the extras!

MrBadger

I've just passed the first witch trial and I'm really enjoying myself so far. The visuals are great. Phoenix isn't as good as his AA5 render, but he still looks nice ingame, and all the new characters and their animations are great. Some Guy was best witness. I'm also really enjoying how the courtroom seems even more dynamic than even Dual Destinies, with its camera angles, character animations and dramatic zooms. Just makes everything interesting to watch. I can't see Zack Barnham ever reaching the ranks of Simon Blackquill or Godot, but he seems like a pretty entertaining character. Maybe he'll grow on me. At the moment he feels like a medieval Edgeworth without personal ties to Phoenix.

Also, I'm not far so maybe my opinion will change, but I'm finding the actual trials pretty damn refreshing. Having recently finished Dual Destinies and being two cases into the AAI2 fan translation, there always seems to be a long, elaborate explanation to how the killer moved the body to some other location with some convoluted mechanism to steer guilt away from themselves, long after they're revealed to be the one behind the crime. I feel like the inclusion of magic with established boundaries
and the first case being simple theft and assult
has allowed them to be more creative with the murders, without ever getting as bad as the Investigations games occasionally get.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Alright, finally finished the game, I can safely read spoilers now :)
I found it really good anyway, I'm not going to say if it's better or worse than game X, but it's really good and the musics are just epic.
Time for the extras!

I love layton and I like Ace attorney...I'm planning to get the game on Friday to play it over the weekend..will I enjoy it?!

For those that have finished the game, how long is it?
I will be writing a review for it and I want to organize my free time.In the HowLiongToBeat site, the mentioned time for the completion of the main story is around 37 hours...

McNum

For those that have finished the game, how long is it?
I will be writing a review for it and I want to organize my free time.In the HowLiongToBeat site, the mentioned time for the completion of the main story is around 37 hours...
I cleared it in about 21 hours, but I missed quite a few puzzles along the way.

I cleared it in about 21 hours, but I missed quite a few puzzles along the way.

Thank you.That sounds more reasonable.

Just beat the Prologue and even though I am not a big fan of both of them, I surely want to see what is coming next. Hopefully the story will be good.

Tizoc

Man I hate how static and emotionless Phoenix's face is when he poins his finger.
It's like they weren't even trying.

Oh and I just made it to the Bakery
All things considered, Phoenix ending up as a baker upon arriving in Labyrinthia makes all the sense in the world

daxgame

fire_emblem_awakening9nsj4.png

It's more likely that is Level-5's fault, or that the dub is so long that multiple languages influence heavily on the size of the game

Oh, you're actually right :)
I even own Fire Emblem, dunno how I could forget about it.

I live in PAL-land though and the game is indeed dubbed Multi5 - I think it's Nintendo who does it in partnership with them. Now, honestly I refuse to accept that there wasn't anymore space in the cart to put in the japanese dub too.

The reality is probably that they didn't want to pay for ww rights of that dub since only me and a few others care anyway :(

I own that one too :p

btw: game is absolutely fantastic.

I've just passed the first witch trial and I'm really enjoying myself so far. The visuals are great. Phoenix isn't as good as his AA5 render, but he still looks nice ingame, and all the new characters and their animations are great. Some Guy was best witness. I'm also really enjoying how the courtroom seems even more dynamic than even Dual Destinies, with its camera angles, character animations and dramatic zooms. Just makes everything interesting to watch. I can't see Zack Barnham ever reaching the ranks of Simon Blackquill or Godot, but he seems like a pretty entertaining character. Maybe he'll grow on me. At the moment he feels like a medieval Edgeworth without personal ties to Phoenix.

Also, I'm not far so maybe my opinion will change, but I'm finding the actual trials pretty damn refreshing. Having recently finished Dual Destinies and being two cases into the AAI2 fan translation, there always seems to be a long, elaborate explanation to how the killer moved the body to some other location with some convoluted mechanism to steer guilt away from themselves, long after they're revealed to be the one behind the crime. I feel like the inclusion of magic with established boundaries
and the first case being simple theft and assult
has allowed them to be more creative with the murders, without ever getting as bad as the Investigations games occasionally get.

Love the spanish name of that guy "Un paisano" XD
BTW whats his real name in english? in spanish is
Aparicio

Peff

I wish future AA games included it.
Espella
's trial was insane.

Yep, the
10-people cross-examination
might just be the best part of the game, I was smiling throughout.
The back and forth between each other and Phoenix is great, especially because they introduce so many characters at once, so each of their usual one quirky behaviour gets used just enough to not become tiring, which often happens when you've talked to one character during both the investigation and the cross-examination.
Good stuff.

I live in PAL-land though and the game is indeed dubbed Multi5

It's not, actually, in the end each country got three languages on their respective cards. There is a surprising amount of both voiced dialogue and animated cutscenes, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had in fact run out of space.

Kouriozan

I love layton and I like Ace attorney...I'm planning to get the game on Friday to play it over the weekend..will I enjoy it?!

This game is like Ace Attorney with Layton stuff in it, but it totally feel like a Layton game still.
You'll get mysteries and puzzles you love in Layton games.

Finished the game at 21 hours in, and I skipped every optionnal puzzle, and of course I'm going to 100% it.

EDIT:
Also, I'm not far so maybe my opinion will change, but I'm finding the actual trials pretty damn refreshing. Having recently finished Dual Destinies and being two cases into the AAI2 fan translation, there always seems to be a long, elaborate explanation to how the killer moved the body to some other location with some convoluted mechanism to steer guilt away from themselves, long after they're revealed to be the one behind the crime. I feel like the inclusion of magic with established boundaries and
the first case being simple theft and assult

I 100% agree :)

Just finished the game after an extended session of playing, my mind is full of "what?!"
As for which series levels of "what?!" being reached here, well that's a puzzle worth many picarats.
Though you can probably guess the answer to that.

Anyway it was good, I'll drop some more thoughts on it later when I've had more time to think about things.

GSR

Plugging the spoiler thread again for if folks want to talk about the endgame stuff freely.

One thing I have to agree with - and it's really apparent now on my second playthrough - is that gameplay-wise, PLvsPW is a lot more fun than Dual Destinies. I like the mob questioning much more than the Mood Matrix, and after DD's railroading, the investigations seem almost ludicrously open. PLvsPW also seems to have more testimonies and fewer extended back-and-forths with the prosecution than DD, which gives a little more agency in court.

The one gameplay thing DD takes unequivocally is the ability to jump between chapters and to sub-points within. I've noticed PLvsPW also has a weird effect where saving in court actually puts you at set 'checkpoints' rather than the exact place you saved. It's never very far, but I wonder why they couldn't implement exact saving.

I'll keep that spoiler thread in mind, there's certainly a lot to be said regarding plot and characters.

I too felt that the multiple witnesses setup was a nice twist on the usual AA formula and actually one of the more interesting courtroom gimmicks seen in the series, I much preferred it to the mood matrix as far as new court features go in these 3DS entries.

I've noticed PLvsPW also has a weird effect where saving in court actually puts you at set 'checkpoints' rather than the exact place you saved. It's never very far, but I wonder why they couldn't implement exact saving.

I had the suspicion while playing that they finally decided to have fun with guys like me who like to abuse the save system during the trials.

NZNova

I'm just a few minutes into this game. Despite having them in my backlog, I haven't yet played the second trilogy of Layton games, although I've played all of the Phoenix Wright series. Am I going to be confused as hell if I haven't played all of the Layton titles yet?

I'm just a few minutes into this game. Despite having them in my backlog, I haven't yet played the second trilogy of Layton games, although I've played all of the Phoenix Wright series. Am I going to be confused as hell if I haven't played all of the Layton titles yet?

Nah you'll be fine, playing any one Layton game is enough for this game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I stil have to buy the game, but I think that the answer is: no.
this is some sort of spinoff parallel sidestory, and in nay case it should take place after the first Layton trilogy that, as in Star Wars, is cronologically later than the second trilogy (focused on Layton/Luke past)

Kleevah

Is there a point of no return if you want to do all the puzzles before the end of the game, or can you still do them afterwards?

Amazing game, excluding some sappy tropes at the very end. One of the best AAs and much better than the only Layton I've played, which was pretty mediocre (the first one).

Anyway, what can I do with my puzzle points? And how often will the DLC be updated? (Not that the first one was any good or anything so far...)

how many save files are available? please tell me more than one.

Santar

Just finished the game at around 31 hrs.
Took my time, revisited locations, searched for puzzles and such.
I thought it was great, a lot better than Dual Destinies. Both as an Ace Attorney game and just as a game in general. DD felt a bit like somebody was trying to make an Ace Attorney game, this felt like an Ace Attorney game to me.

This felt like a true Ace Attorney sequel, it had that great tone the DS AA's had, both funny and serious at the same time, Both Phoenix and Maya (so happy she was back!) felt like themselves.
It had an intriguing and at times surprising story.
It wasn't simplified like DD, it didn't spell out every solution like DD, and you could actually explore the locations unlike DD. Add in an amazing soundtrack and being super polished in general and you have a excellent game! :)

Frost_Ace

I thought it was great, a lot better than Dual Destinies. Both as an Ace Attorney game and just as a game in general. DD felt a bit like somebody was trying to make an Ace Attorney game, this felt like an Ace Attorney game to me.

This felt like a true Ace Attorney sequel, it had that great tone the DS AA's had, both funny and serious at the same time, Both Phoenix and Maya (so happy she was back!) felt like themselves.
It wasn't simplified like DD, it didn't spell out every solution like DD, and you could actually explore the locations unlike DD. Add in an amazing soundtrack and being super polished in general and you have a excellent game! :)
Takumi magic! :)

Hope to get this game next week!

Im just in the end, but I can say that I liked DD more. Yes, that game was maybe too simplified and the exploration mode resent that, but the trials were simplified for good, no more stupid shit were the game knows much more than you, that this game has in various instances, and I didn't think that magic + witnesses are complete idiots with the shittiest memory of the whole series that are seriously trasspassing the line of commiting contempt of court, does any good to the game. Dont get me wrong, I really like the multi-witness system, it was really fun and a breath of fresh air, but sometimes the witnesses were just acting too far and their excuse was always "bu... but magic, milord!" and that was a freepass.

But Im one of those people that thinks that DD was the best game after Trial and Tribulations. They need to tweak lots of things, like expanding the exploration again (without going too far to silly pixel hunting), but I like how that game was written, the characters and lots of good tweaks it has. I also thought the music was better than this game, and thats saying a lot because this one has an excellent soundtrack, but DD was more memorable for me. Too bad that the rest of the sound department in PLvsPW shits all over DD, because that makes me even more mad that Capcom didn't translate or dub that game to my language, and I would love more voice acted scenes like in this game, during the trials, because they feel fantastic and make me as excited as when I was small and waited for the CG intros of a FF.

I think the Phoenix Wright series can continue without Takumi at the helm (if he doesn't want to continue, of course), to me it was demonstrated with DD. Takumi has had its huge lows with the franchise (even if his highs are the best highs in the franchise), those being some cases of Justice for All and the whole Apollo Justice (even if he was forced to use Phoenix, the rest of the characters are a mix bewteen bland and horrible, and some are saved, mainly Apollo, thanks to DD). That's why I love so much the team aspect of DD, and why I think Phoenix needs to be in his games, he is a big part of making them great. I don't think the new team was trying to do an Ace Attorney, they succeded doing one (even with it's problems) as it was much better than anything apart of Trials and Tribulations.

Still Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright is a FANTASTIC game, that brings lots of good things to the table that future PW games can use, and the regathering of Maya and Phoenix (something that PW6 needs and hopefully will have again), becuase they have demosntrated yet again, that they are the perfect team.

Zalman

I started playing yesterday, currently a few hours in. I'm at the second trial. Really good so far, but I feel like the Layton parts drag on for a bit too long. Maybe it's because I'm a much bigger Ace Attorney fan, but I don't think his parts are as exciting as the courtroom sections.

Tizoc

Just finished chapter 3 and am starting chapter 4.
WHAT THE FLYING FUCK SON?!?!!?
LAYTON'S 'I SOLVED A PUZZLE FINGER POINTING ARM'! SOMEONE SOLDER IT BACK ON!

Top Bottom