• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

Asbear

Banned
I've forgotten where puzzles go when you miss them in this game.
Someone remind me!

If you're past chapter 8 I believe it's too late to get those until you've beaten the game.

If you not past that, then go to the library to the north of Labyrinthia's centre to find Ridelle, the girl with nerdy glasses and blue hair. She keeps the puzzles you might've missed in earlier chapters.

Asbear

Banned
Yeah....damn you region locks. :(

Haha, I still can't get why Nintendo had region-free on the DS and then went region-locked with 3DS... or just in general why companies always go back and forth with that stuff passing between generations.

It really is a shame you can't just import this game and pop it straight into your 3DS, because... I mean it's not like there's gonna be a world of difference once you get your hands on it in NA. Luke's actor will probably change as usual and "Honour" will be changed to "honor" among other things, but it's not exactly worth a 3+ month wait.

Sora_N

Haha, I still can't get why Nintendo had region-free on the DS and then went region-locked with 3DS... or just in general why companies always go back and forth with that stuff passing between generations.

It really is a shame you can't just import this game and pop it straight into your 3DS, because... I mean it's not like there's gonna be a world of difference once you get your hands on it in NA. Luke's actor will probably change as usual and "Honour" will be changed to "honor" among other things, but it's not exactly worth a 3+ month wait.

Hahaha well I'm Canadian so I'd rather they not change the spelling but they will.

Region lock wasn't necessary. Same bs happened with Bravely Default.

Eeehh, the American release of Azran Legacy still had the British spelling. So not even that. Makes you question what the hell NoA is doing.

I understand not everyone think Takumi is a godly writer like me and, like you said, some others at NeoGAF do, and I do also understand why. His latest games have had a couple of plot-holes in them, most notably Apollo Justice had a lot of issues and is generally considered the low-point of the franchise if I'm not mistaken.

To me it still boils down to the fact that despite of Takumi not always doing his best, he's still leaps and bounds over the new writer Takeshi Yamazaki IMHO, mainly because Takumi knows how to write great dialogue, and to be honest I remember the series more for its humor and dark tales than I remember it for its convoluted crime-scenarios.

One thing I just haven't been able to like in either Ace Attorney Investigations nor Dual Destinies was Yamazaki's tendency to make crimes ridiculously convoluted... as in, even more over-the-top and long-winded than what Takumi used to make. As a result I found myself dozing off several times during each of the case in the respective games; and all because the characters kept repeating the details over and over about space-elevators and rooms switching place and stuff like that. It was just not interesting to me at all.

So despite of Takumi probably having more plot-holes and mistakes in his case-scenarios than the new guy, I still think Takumi has a better sense of creating mysteries and tales that you get invested in. I understand that's not "Ace Attorney" is to everyone though.

As for whether the series can continue without Takumi? Well sure it "can", but honestly I'm not sure if I'd want to buy the next one Yamazaki writes. People have been talking about how Ace Attorney Investigations 2 is one of the best in the franchise... strangely it's also the only one that hasn't been localized, so it's a VERY niche group of people that have played it so far. I've played until case 3, and while I can admit I like it better than the first Investigations game so far, it's still got the same issues I found with the first one as well as Dual Destinies. Crimes are too convoluted and too over-the-top and it's what the characters go on and on about for 60% of the time. To me it gets monotonous and if that's the future of Ace Attorney, then you can count me out as a fan. That's pretty much how i feel about the whole "Ace Attorney without Takumi" thing :p

And I'm sorry if I'm starting to throw this discussion off-topic. I'll stop it here :p

Well is semi on topic. :p
I cant talk sadly about Investigations, because they never came to europe, but I didn't find off putting what Yamazaki did in Dual Destinies. It was fun, it was intriguing and if PW6 is real, Im liking where he seems to be going with characters and story. I sadly can't say the same about Takumi after the atrocious Apollo Justice. Of course, opinions and all that.
And I don't know which parts where done by Takumi in PLvsPW and which ones where done by Hino, but the last trial was boring as hell in some parts, and really convulted from a gameplay standpoint. It's like if they stuck the bad gameplay parts from case 5 of PW1 with the blandness and boring parts of Apollo Justice.
As I said, even if I don't think he is perfect, Takumi is an amazing writer, I love all the brilliant cases he wrote in the past, same with Ghost Trick, and if he says he prefers Phoenix Wright character to not continue in the games, he didn't demonstrate that with his major fuck up. My opinion is that Phoenix is the heart and soul of the series (each game he appears demonstrates this even more, included this one, and I think Maya is long hiatus in the mainline games will add to the greatness when she appears again), and I prefer if he doesnt want to write him anymore, to leave the mainline games to Yamazaki, as he clearly has a lot of desire to do it. Nothing is worse than make someone work in something he doesn't want.

Again, opinions, I can understand why you like Takumi's writting style more with your explanation :)

Eeehh, the American release of Azran Legacy still had the British spelling. So not even that. Makes you question what the hell NoA is doing.

In the credits it already appears NoA doing some part of localisation in the game. I suppose it's not to long from release.

Asbear

Banned

I know, but that's because Layton is supposed to be british because that's part of his character. Phoenix Wright says "Your Honour" in PLvsPWAA, which is not usually in the Ace Attorney games. I'm sure it will be changed at least when he says it, because his actor - Trevor White - also plays him in an american accent.

LAA

Just beat this and all the puzzles this morning. It really is a dream of a game for me, so awesome this game happened! That and it has probably the biggest mind boom I've seen in a Layton or an AA, so very good indeed! I consider it a must have for 3DS definitely, just a little of a shame for replay value, thats the only possible criticism I have for it, and even that, we get content every week for 24 weeks I believe, so you still have reason to go back to it.

I don't understand after playing how japanese reviews were saying it felt like a wasted oppurtunity, really don't understand it. I thought the two universes blended as well together as everyone imagined they would, seems the western reviews are giving it more praise than the japanese reviews did.

Sometimes while I'm playing this I have to sit there and go "Man, I can't believe they actually localised this". Seriously.

I love it so far, just part way through the 1st chapter now. (I only intended to make sure the game worked, and ended up playing 2 and a half hours worth, haha)

The only thing that I didn't like is how Phoenix's model looks, his neutral expression looks really strange. But then, it's probably because of how amazing the Dual Destinies ones are.

Tizoc

Well just made it to the part where
the Vigilante Captain stops Wright from taking a recess.
"What he said! What he said!"
When he said he and his knights would testify I assumed it'd be just those 4.
Then I saw the other vigilantes.
This game GAF, this freakin' GAME!

edit:
Vigilante #10: "I...remember nothing"
THIS GAME GAF, I CAN'T!

Lusankya

Well just made it to the part where
the Vigilante Captain stops Wright from taking a recess.
"What he said! What he said!"
When he said he and his knights would testify I assumed it'd be just those 4.
Then I saw the other vigilantes.
This game GAF, this freakin' GAME!

edit:
Vigilante #10: "I...remember nothing"
THIS GAME GAF, I CAN'T!

This is seriously the best cross- examination in the entire AA series. :D

Tizoc

The cross examinations in this game are pretty damn good, yeah.

SSSIIIIRRRRRR!!!

I give them credit for the volume of that clip. even at the lowest volume setting IT JUST PIERCES YOU!

EDIT: OF COURSE MAYA
can remember his name.
It's Mayan!

EDIT2:
"Say my name...."
"Snickernoodles"
"Drop dead!"

Tizoc

Oi how many chapters is this game lol.
OF COURSE THE LIFT IS A PUZZLE!

EDIT: OH SHI! LAYTON
GOT A SWORD!

Tizoc

lol talk about an animation fuck up
Chapter 9's final cutscene
shows Maya in WITHOUT her disguise. Level 5 pls
Time for Chapter 10~
OK I admit, I miss Emeer, can he please show up...just one last time?

Zornica

Banned
did this have an incredibly low print run or something?
I went to 9 different stores (mostly saturn and media markt) over the last 3 days, and couldn't find a single copy anywhere.

fun fact:
most stores had at least 2 copies of senran kagura stocked.

OH SHIT!

CHAPTER 9

081.gif

Tizoc

Sigh this being a Layton game I should've seen it coming (END GAME SPOILERS)
Magic isn't real and the Shades have been tagging along with every accused witch throught the course of Labyrinthia's history

Tizoc

Oh come on Level 5
this is a re-treading of Layton 1's story! I mean come on, why not just LEAVE it as a magical world/setting. LUKE CAN TALK TO ANIMALS AND THERE'S A PUZZLE IN EVERY TREE, NOOK AND CRANNY! IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE LOGICAL SENSE

Still a game of the year contender for me though. The first half of the last trial is fucking bonkers, I wish there was more time with that group >_<.

Tizoc

DAT FINAL SCENE!
Hey wait a minute there IS a mystery that hasn't been solved...
How'd that big hand print from the statue get on Carmine's car...how'd it get stuck all the way up on that tree too?

Lusankya

DAT FINAL SCENE!
Hey wait a minute there IS a mystery that hasn't been solved...
How'd that big hand print from the statue get on Carmine's car...how'd it get stuck all the way up on that tree too?

It's "explained" in the second special episode.

I´m on Chapter 3 now.

I´m impressed by the high production values tbh. The character models aren´t even close to bad, the music is amazing....Pursuit-casting magic and Barnham´s theme are just ....wow... and everything feels so smooth and the drawn backgrounds.... and and and...

Really digging it so far....even the Layton puzzles aren´t bad !

Lusankya

I´m impressed by the high production values tbh. !
Yeah, it's too bad that basically every time 3 characters are on the screen at once there are slow downs. I actually don't remember whether or not Dual Destinies had 3 character models on the screen at a time but it always ran perfectly smooth.

I assume by your "" we're thinking the same thing. It's a bit of a
cop-out...
Well, at least they addressed it. But I guess Takumi knew that
the end would contradict most things from the beginning.

Bought the game today, I'm already liking it A LOT even if the animations are (obvoiusly) a step back from AA5. The atmosphere is incredible, feels already better than the last Layton I played... I don't recall the name, bit still why are 80% of the puzzles based on ability and trail & error? It's cool but the first Layton was all about being smart.

Tizoc

Bought the game today, I'm already liking it A LOT even if the animations are (obvoiusly) a step back from AA5. The atmosphere is incredible, feels already better than the last Layton I played... I don't recall the name, bit still why are 80% of the puzzles based on ability and trail & error? It's cool but the first Layton was all about being smart.

To be fair just about any puzzle can be solved via trial and error.

MrBadger

Finally finished this game. Really enjoyed the final trial. Some of the impressions here led me to believe the ending lets the game down, but I liked it.
It's a Layton game. I saw it coming a mile off.

The vigilante cross examination was gosh darn glorious, but I did start to get sick of "well she's a great witch so she can use any magic whenever she wants" as the explanation. I liked the change of focus when the Storyteller told everyone the truth of the town, even though I did let out an audible "WHAT?" when he started explaining.

I'd actually rank this game on par with Dual Destinies. I feel like this game handles the unraveling of mysteries a lot better. When you figure something out, it all falls into place in a satisfying way, as opposed to in Dual Destinies, which too often takes the "just barely plausible" approach to how the crime goes down. This game also has much better pacing. I was enjoying myself throughout the entire thing and never felt like explanations or confrontations were too long-winded. However, I think DD had a much stronger and more interesting cast of characters (this is the game that gave us Robin Newman and Simon Blackquill), a far superior soundtrack and incredible character animations.

Also, it bugged me that Inquisitor Barnham
was put on a bus right as he was starting to become an interesting character, and didn't even have any dialogue in the ending.

MNC

This Mouse puzzle #26 is some bullshit. Where am I supposed to look? The tails aren't nearly enough detailed.
Edit: oh man it was the tails. That was a pretty bad puzzle and I am even worse at solving it lol. :(

This Mouse puzzle #26 is some bullshit. Where am I supposed to look? The tails aren't nearly enough detailed.
Edit: oh man it was the tails. That was a pretty bad puzzle and I am even worse at solving it lol. :(

This was the one puzzle where I used all the hints, I swear the first few hints only served to misdirect me further.

Okay so I just finished chapter 4.

My reactions during the end of this chapter were something like

oh shit

OH SHIT

holy shit

Oh right?

oh no she didn't

WAIT WHAT

what the fuck

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Roughly. Man this is a hell of a ride so far!

So far I've found most of the puzzles and stuff to be pretty straightforward, but I guess it's still early days (despite being over 10hrs in lol) - although there was a leap of logic in the Chapter 4 Phoenix section that I totally did NOT see at all. Forgot what it was now though... :I

The cross examinations in this game are pretty damn good, yeah.

SSSIIIIRRRRRR!!!

I swear, every time I was like "fucking shut the fuck up". Man. I like the actual cross examinations themselves, but a lot of these characters are so hateable!

I beat it last weekend. I really liked it, but the explanations of the mysteries were a little weak. I immediately understood what people meant by "It's a Layton game" once they started explaining it. Seemed kind of sloppy and very un-Takumi.

Still, the cases themselves were really exciting and I had a lot of fun with it. Level 5 and Capcom seemed to work well together.

yeah, the new DLC is a little dumb. I wonder if future ones will have
court episodes, maybe with Edgeworth
though.

Regarding the DLC
They're all pretty lame, half consist of a couple of Layton puzzles, the rest are some artworks which the 3DS can't display in their full beauty. There isn't a single court segment in the DLC.

This was the one puzzle where I used all the hints, I swear the first few hints only served to misdirect me further.

Me too!

Tizoc

How many of the Layton/Ace Attorney games should I play before playing this?

For Layton 1 game would be enough.
Same for Phoenix Wright too, although to the AA fans this game would take place after Phoenix Wright 3.

Non the less play at least 1 of either, preferably the first games, then jump in.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Oh man I've just finished the first withc trial, starting chapter 3...OMG I'm loving this game. great mix of gameplay, I'm loving how funny and engaging it is!

Yeah, it's too bad that basically every time 3 characters are on the screen at once there are slow downs. I actually don't remember whether or not Dual Destinies had 3 character models on the screen at a time but it always ran perfectly smooth.

There was one scene in Dual Destinies:

MAJOR Dual Destinies spoiler

the grand finale in case 5 , the scene in which Apollo, Athena and Pheonix point at the Phantom.
....the little easter egg for the people who have played Trials and Tribulations

On chapter 5 now....wow, the twist was unexpected.
Those japanese and their
bitter sweet
drama.

Top Bottom