• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

Omikaru

Finally finished. I enjoyed it, but I think the ending went off the rails quite a bit.

I have a few points that stood out to me. Obviously all spoilers:

- I didn't really like any of the new characters specifically for this game. Espella felt too plotted and really quite uninteresting, while Darklaw and the Storyteller -- probably the two most fascinating characters in the game -- were not utilised to their fullest. On the other hand, Inquisitor Barnham kind of felt like he was simply taking up space, and was completely eliminated from the proceedings when the actual focal characters needed to take the stage. I think ultimately this was because the game focussed on the crossover aspects between the two universes clashing rather than the world they inhabited and the people in it.

- Phoenix and Maya's voices were not good.

- The game's puzzles felt easy, and the court cases weren't as exciting as I'd like.

- The game was too scared to really do anything permanent. The permanence of the murders and witch executions were undone with the trap door and the forest outside of Labyrinthia, and even before that it was patently obvious that would happen once Layton and Maya were "killed" in their own respective way. Also, when the Storyteller announced he had "an incurable illness", only for him to mention a cure a few seconds later, I felt like the game was always looking for a way to cop out of anything really consequential. It made the whole thing feel insincere.

- The twist that it was all just "science" was as unconvincing to me as Layton was unconvinced that magic was real. A lot of the stuff that was supposed to be magic, but a deception, was actually just as fantastical and magical as the mystery of the town was supposed to be, and this just added to the insincerity of the whole thing. Clanging of perfect silver making people unconscious? The inability for people to see perfect black? The fact that a perfectly black material exists? Cures for incurable illnesses? Vague "substances" in the water that conveniently allow for both the hypnosis poison and the "condition" involving clanging perfect silver? Invisibility cloaks? It doesn't strike me as any more convincing than magic is and I left feeling kind of cheated.

- The only thing that felt particularly convincing was Newton Belduke's suicide over the horrible things he'd done, but that's only the case if you suspend your disbelief long enough to accept that what he did was even plausible in the first place. The subsequent revenge plot by Darklaw -- while not unconvincing -- felt bolted on at the end and I didn't really care because much of the cast were uninteresting.

- The bit with Edgeworth at the end was splendid.

I should add that all of this comes from someone who never played a Layton game before, so take my ramblings as you will. Maybe this kind of thing is par for the course of that series.

While I can't say that I disliked the game, I think there's a lot wrong with it.

Asbear

Banned
Remeber this was half a Layton game, so when you say that
the game was scared of permanence, it's mostly because it had to stay true to both Layton and Wright's staples, and if your'll recall, people VERY RARELY die in Layton games. Noticable ones are Schafer who is contrivedly revied during the credits and was apparently "subconscious" even though his body is shown to be searched by cops and whatnot at the intro of the game. Claire is the only one I remember actually dying in Layton.

That is why case 1 of PLvsPWAA is for "Theft and Assault" and not "muder". It's a way to reach a middle-way between Capcom and Level 5's principles for either of the franchises.

Seeing as you haven't played a Layton game before, I think you'll take at least parts of your latter statement back if only you knew what Layton is usually about ;)

Omikaru

Possibly. I'm prepared to acknowledge that it may be a staple of Layton games which is the reason why it's the way it is. I still don't like it, however, and still feel it makes the whole proceedings feel very insincere.

The prologue case wasn't actually an issue for me.
I don't mind that Phoenix was covering a theft & assault trial; my main issue is that the game constantly back tracks on pretty much everything of consequence that it tries to put into the narrative, which is just poor writing. I constantly feel like I'm being cheated by the author and the whole things feels as much of a farce as the Storyteller's scheme was originally.

Possibly. I'm prepared to acknowledge that it may be a staple of Layton games which is the reason why it's the way it is. I still don't like it, however, and still feel it makes the whole proceedings feel very insincere.

The prologue case wasn't actually an issue for me.
I don't mind that Phoenix was covering a theft & assault trial; my main issue is that the game constantly back tracks on pretty much everything of consequence that it tries to put into the narrative, which is just poor writing. I constantly feel like I'm being cheated by the author and the whole things feels as much of a farce as the Storyteller's scheme was originally.

My biggest problem with the plot was the
tower which had been made invisible. No one ever walked across the huge open field and accidentally bumped into it? They really had to wait for lightning to burn the invisibility sheet off to remember it was there?

NR1

Why is their still no word on an American release date on this game??? Just have a TBA 2014 timeframe. Who is publishing for North America? Level-5? Nintendo? Capcom?

Omikaru

My biggest problem with the plot was the
tower which had been made invisible. No one ever walked across the huge open field and accidentally bumped into it? They really had to wait for lightning to burn the invisibility sheet off to remember it was there?

Yeah, that was really dumb. I thought that when I was playing, but forgot to mention it when I was writing about it. Seems like it was just done that way for the convenience of the plot.

You'd think if they wanted to hide it, they'd just dismantle the thing. Would probably be more effective at hiding it than covering it in an invisibility cloth, lol.

MrBadger

I just re-beat the game and noticed that there's a change in the ending sequence the second time around.
Flynch shows up in court instead of Edgeworth. While it's cool that there's variety, I was kind of only playing through the last chapter to see that scene again.

Just picked this up after finishing Azran Legacy.

Layton designs threw me a little bit but I'm sure I'll get used to the more skinny versions. Pheonix and co's voices are different than what I imagine but again, I'll get used to it.

The story is off to a great start, I just finished the introduction to both the Layton and Wright sections and I have to say... I'm not feeling the Pheonix Wright sections. I've always not really enjoyed Wright's games mainly because I find the whole thing frustrating. I can spot a contradiction in their statement but when I go to present the evidence I select the wrong passage or the wrong evidence even though mine totally makes sense to me. Case in point:
when you had to present the broken police mascot with the tag still attached. Do I have to present the bear? The tag? Do I present it when she says she was in the fight with the bear?
It frustrates me.

But yes, looking forward to delving into the rest.

Asbear

Banned
Yeah, that was really dumb. I thought that when I was playing, but forgot to mention it when I was writing about it. Seems like it was just done that way for the convenience of the plot.

You'd think if they wanted to hide it, they'd just dismantle the thing. Would probably be more effective at hiding it than covering it in an invisibility cloth, lol.

Again, by the time anyone has played through one or two proper Layton games they'll learn to deal with that kind of ending
. I think it's narrow-minded to view that style of narrative as "bad writing" because, from a literary perspective it breaks some "rules" but it has a certain charm to it I like. I don't think that charm blended perfect with Phoenix Wright, but it could've been worse or better. I don't think it's bad writing at all, but that's just my take.
As for the invisible bell tower. You have to understand, because everyone in Labyrinthia are practically hallucinating, their minds are open to suggestion, and they're oblivious to the fact that there are cranes around them that should also be in the way from time to time, and I guess when they stumble into a bell-tower the "magic" keeps them from seeing it as odd.

I think the underlying problem is that there's a certain "tone" that Layton games has that's different, and the plot of PLvsPWAA generally feels more like a typical Takumi-toned plot. Despite of this Akihiro Hino was the one who came up with the basic outline of the plot and probably said to Takumi "You can do whatever you like with this, as long as you make sure you include "certain things" that I want in the game"

I thought this game was magnificent through and through. Certainly, the latter chapters were the low-points of the game in some ways,
but having played all other Layton games, I kinda saw where the plot was going before that big twist alienated me

So, for those who are considering to play this despite of only knowing one of the franchises, I say, do yourself a favor and - at least - play one full game of both series. If you don't, you're not going to fully enjoy this one. You're really cheating yourself if you don't.

Asbear

Banned
I just re-beat the game and noticed that there's a change in the ending sequence the second time around.
Flynch shows up in court instead of Edgeworth. While it's cool that there's variety, I was kind of only playing through the last chapter to see that scene again.

Huh? Did you just start a new game in the second slot, or is there some way to start a "new-game+"?

MrBadger

Huh? Did you just start a new game in the second slot, or is there some way to start a "new-game+"?

When you select your save file after beating the game, you can either start from the final chapter or earlier on. I probably should have just said I re-beat the final chapter in my earlier comment.

Ath

Stayed up all night and finished the game. That was excellent, really excellent. Pretty much everything I could have hoped for from a collaboration of Layton and Wright.

I've got some bad things to say. First of all why is Layton still around with that boring gameplay wich somehow got worse with time? You have one picture, 3 coins that now are hiding randomly (in the first game they made a little sense, like curious places) and some people. The process is slow: you have to click everywhere to find useless coins, then you click on a person and hope to find a puzzle, otherwise you get a slow, useless animation with useless informations. Just give me those puzzles and let the story go, make the gameplay faster! Or make it fun!
And Phoenix Wright... fuck those slow animations. You can't even fast forward the dialogues! In a PW game! This, combined with the stupid save system is just dumb. Dumb like Nick because you know what, fucking Layton is doing his job! Seriously, it's going on for an hour, that giant creepy head is stomping his hands on the table and doing every, EVERY reasoning in the case. Shut up!

I don't want to sound too negative, the game is cool and interesting and I hope it gets better, but there are stupid decisions. It's so slow!

MrBadger

I've got some bad things to say. First of all why is Layton still around with that boring gameplay wich somehow got worse with time? You have one picture, 3 coins that now are hiding randomly (in the first game they made a little sense, like curious places) and some people. The process is slow: you have to click everywhere to find useless coins, then you click on a person and hope to find a puzzle, otherwise you get a slow, useless animation with useless informations. Just give me those puzzles and let the story go, make the gameplay faster! Or make it fun!
And Phoenix Wright... fuck those slow animations. You can't even fast forward the dialogues! In a PW game! This, combined with the stupid save system is just dumb. Dumb like Nick because you know what, fucking Layton is doing his job! Seriously, it's going on for an hour, that giant creepy head is stomping his hands on the table and doing every, EVERY reasoning in the case. Shut up!

I don't want to sound too negative, the game is cool and interesting and I hope it gets better, but there are stupid decisions. It's so slow!

You don't have to click everywhere to find the hint coins. If you move your cursor over a space and it starts to sparkle, there's a hint coin hidden there. Also, you can fast-forward the dialogue except for certain moments, if I recall right.

NotLiquid

I'm up to Chapter 4 right now and honestly so far this game has me pretty disappointed.

The crossover is generally nice to see and in terms of Trial segments the game really freshens up the Ace Attorney formula in a nice new way. But the plot is just... bleh. I really can't get behind it. I am really not fond of the setting they chose to go for it. If Ace Attorney 5 had a problem of cases being too convoluted, this game has a problem of them being too goddamn simple, with the only reason of it stretching on being that it now has to involve witchcraft stuff which really just takes me out of the entire experience. In Ace Attorney 5 whenever I'd unearth a new mystery about the case it would get me hyped and sometimes unsettled whenever an unknown variable comes into play. But in this game, a lot of which focuses mostly on Layton story sensibilities, it is all so unexciting to follow the story of people I don't care about, in a world which makes no sense and is hard to even be invested in.

Layton's segments also feel like they drag quite a bit and don't feel like they gel as much with Ace Attorney game play as they should. The investigation segments don't really feel like they provide a lot to the game. Ideally you would be using Layton's mechanics to find evidence for a Court Record, but here it's just mostly random puzzles with most evidence being dogpiled onto you in the beginning of the trial segments. The result feels like I keep shifting between playing two different games.

I dunno, the multiple witness stuff is about the only thing I can say I really love but other than that the game is just okay in my opinion, and I feel AA5 is a better game. I hope that changes later in the game but I'm pretty lukewarm on my entire experience so far and almost all of it is on account of the setting and story being so hard to swallow. I appreciate the game wanting to try a bigger story but it is just so uninteresting and vague.

Peff

Oh, you want convoluted, huh?

Just you wait until the whole thing gets Hino'd
AMN2ad2.gif

Omikaru

Decided I'd start rocking a Darklaw avatar before anyone else beat me to it, since I think her character design is awesome.

Also, NotLiquid, keep going. The game goes off the rails later. Some people like it, others don't. I was quite lukewarm on the whole thing myself, but it may be more up your street. *shrugs*

Asbear

Banned
Decided I'd start rocking a Darklaw avatar before anyone else beat me to it, since I think her character design is awesome.

Also, NotLiquid, keep going. The game goes off the rails later. Some people like it, others don't. I was quite lukewarm on the whole thing myself, but it may be more up your street. *shrugs*

If you like the typical Layton twist you'll probably not mind the vibe the ending has in PLvsPWAA.
I was initially lukewarm, but having sunk it in now, I really liked it to be honest. It didn't seems as inconsistent as I first thought.

By the way, Darklaw and basically all other characters in PLvsPWAA were drawn by Kazuya Nuri. He also did the designs for AJ:AA and PW:AA's extra case 5. I really hope Takumi and his team keeps him around, because IMO he has made some of the best AA designs I can remember.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this game, and I must say that this game might be the most disappointing one I have played... ever.

Some background; I have never played an Ace Attorney game nor have I ever seen more than snippets of gameplay of them. I played only the first Layton (Because for some stupid reason, Nintendo decided that all sequels to the Curious Village would be translated to Dutch and released only in Dutch in The Netherlands (No language options), and I'm not going to pay them for 'providing' me with crappy translations and horrible voice-acting and couldn't be bothered importing.) and really enjoyed it.

This game has pretty much nothing I liked from the first Layton and the ridiculous amount of hand-holding and having to wait until something that you couldn't possibly predict happened dragged the court cases down massively.

According to my save-file, it took me a little over 23 hours to finish the game, and I feel like I have accomplished nothing. Most puzzles were not fun at all and did not resemble what I remember from the Curious Village (actual riddles, wordplay, mathematical puzzles, etc.) and pretty much consisted of only three types of puzzles; mazes, find-the-odd-one-out and matching stuff together. Most of these puzzles did not actually have any bearing on the plot and just felt like filler. It also doesn't help that analyzing the environment doesn't tell you whether you will find a puzzle or not. The general 'interact' or 'talk to' magnifying glass is the same as the 'there is a puzzle here' magnifying glass, so you'll have to talk with all the characters/interact with all interactive environmental pieces to even know if they hold a puzzle for you. If they don't, you have to sit through the text-boxes that mostly have nothing to do with anything.

Actually, having to sit through massive amounts of text-boxes without anything happening and waiting for the characters to point out where you'll need to go next (to sit through more text-boxes of course) probably took up more than half of my 'play'-time.

The court-cases were somewhat fun, but again plagued by a ridiculous amount of hand holding and clicking through text-boxes. Don't see something straight-away? The other characters will point it out to you immediately. See something odd, but don't have the evidence to support it? Just push through anyways, the evidence will show up shortly after or suddenly a new witness will appear. Get some evidence and instantly deduce what happened through the previous witness testimonies? That's great, but you're going to have to wait until the game feels like it to be able to present it.

And man, all those plotholes...
- So how did Accidente's car end up in a tree with a massive hand print on it?
- Who did hit the ship's cook on the head?
- How was it possible for the 'Witches' to appear in London and flying / using magic when the ending explains all of the magic through the contraptions in Labyrinthia (Which I presume were not present in London), hypnosis (Yeah, through the 'ink' in Espella's book, sure; That old dried up ink would not likely have lead to such powerful hypnosis if any at all) and the 'special condition' of passing out when hearing the sound of something striking pure silver (Which requires drinking Labyrinthia's water...).
- How do the townsfolk not walk into either the giant cranes or the bell-tower all the time?
- Actually, why didn't Belduke and Cantabella take down the tower?
- So how does the story of Jean Greyerl work knowing how magic doesn't actually exist in labyrinthia and the 'witches' did what they did under hypnotic suggestion (through the Story itself) with the help of the Shades. Jean turning her goat into gold was not foretold in the story, nor was her being saved by Belduke or her murdering Belduke. Jean couldn't have actually used 'magic', because her attempted murder on Belduke was not documented in the Story and thus there would have been no Shades to 'help' her. As far as the Story was concerned, Jean was dead since her being saved by Belduke after attempting to drown herself was not part of the Story. This whole part of the story is just a mess when you think about it.
- Since there is no magic and Wright and Fey weren't actually sucked into a book, how were they abducted from within a courthouse without anybody noticing? (Again, the 'hypnotic power' in the old, dried up ink is probably not enough to fully hypnotize them and have them 'cooperate'. Same goes for Layton and Luke.)
- 'Yo I'm deathly ill dawg.'
- 'Oh wait, j/k, they found a cure one hour ago.'
- 'I think we should stop doing this and I feel guilty, but instead of talking with you about it in person, I'm just going to write this very cryptic letter and kill myself.'
- Why cut out Barnham from the entire last trial only for him to make a cameo in the speed-boat at the end?
- How did Luke manage to find and control an invisible vehicle, yet the townsfolk never bumped into them?
- Actually, how did Layton know for certain that there were invisible machines. Through his 'puzzle-solving skills'?
- Wait, weren't all the townsfolk just able to hear the machines? They could hear other machinery, such as the mechanism in the bell-tower, so why not the cranes?

Really, really disappointed with this game.

So just prefacing this with: I'm just within Chapter 9 at the moment. Liking it well enough so far, although slightly de-hyped by the mention in this thread of it having a "Layton-esque ending". Sadly, I know exactly what that means, and bits and pieces in this chapter are showing themselves to be predictable. (I was genuinely surprised by other bits and pieces within the game so far, though!)

I am really not fond of the setting they chose to go for it.

I definitely know what you mean, but at the same time, I felt like it was a necessary thing so that Phoenix and Layton are on the same "level" - it's uncharted territory for them both. (Although you could definitely argue that the environments are very like a Layton game, as opposed to some of the exploration segments of previous AA games) Eh, I'll just have to hang on until I finish it up!

Frost_Ace

Wow...I just finished this and I don't know how to feel:
let's just say that the decision to keep the story in the real world was questionable? Not only because somehow layton and phoenix now share the same universe, but also because they had to recycle plot from previous layton games to explain the magic/hypnotism and stuff like that. I thought the magic with "laws" they introduced in the trials was great but it was put aside in favor of the "twist". Even accepting the laytonesque ending I thought the tone of the ending was just weird...it wanted to sell me on an happy ending that really isn't there, Espella and Eve basically burned an entire town full of people (supposedly including their mothers?), Eve plotted revenge on both the storyteller and Espella, and yet at the end they were like "let's be frieeeeeeends" like nothing happened, it tried too hard to bring back the status quo, it didn't feel natural at all. Also Barnham should have had more screentime at the end. All in all I think Hino had too much to say in this game...

the characters interactions/fanservice were great and the game was worth playing just for that , but I'm pretty disappointed by the story

EDIT: I fucking loved Emeer though, kinda tempted to change my avatar.

I am getting a little bit bored with this, as the Layton parts are rather uninspired...

So, I have a question please.

I am the point, I think at chapter 5 where
Layton, emerging from his gold state finds Maya and both run into the forest..

How long till the end of the game?

MrBadger

If you like the typical Layton twist you'll probably not mind the vibe the ending has in PLvsPWAA.
I was initially lukewarm, but having sunk it in now, I really liked it to be honest. It didn't seems as inconsistent as I first thought.

By the way, Darklaw and basically all other characters in PLvsPWAA were drawn by Kazuya Nuri. He also did the designs for AJ:AA and PW:AA's extra case 5. I really hope Takumi and his team keeps him around, because IMO he has made some of the best AA designs I can remember.

I kind of feel the opposite way about the ending.
When the storyteller first dropped the bomb that the town and its magic were fake, I was shocked and enjoyed the way they were twisting the story on its head, and that feeling really stayed with me until the end. But looking back at it, it feels a bit half-baked. They don't really dwell on this new discovery that Darklaw accidentally burned down a town and killed loads of people and the explanations for the magic felt a bit forced. Most of the intro just doesn't make sense compared to the rest of the game. Plus it weakens all the contributions Phoenix made to the plot. He was basically saving fake witches from a fake death by accusing other fake witches and never has a clue what's really happening.

Tiemen, really this kept bugging me all the time..haha!

How do the townsfolk not walk into either the giant cranes or the bell-tower all the time?

The resolution was so childish and forced...

edit:What is this Layton-esque type of ending that you keep referring to?I have only finished Pandora's Box, so I guess you are referring to this "
a scientific solution for eveything
" kind of thing?

Is it possible to play this game on a North American 3ds? I heard that you can switch eshops, but I'm not sure if digital games are region locked..

Oh man I just finished it and that ending.
This is why I love Professor Layton games, because their endings are just over the top ridonkulus.

I loved how
there was no such thing as magic. Instead they had an army of people running around wearing (for all intents and purposes) magical invisible cloaks emulating magic by making people fall unconscious for periods of time. How in the flip did they emulate the Green Portal one? And when it was revealed that they made a gold replica of the Professor and replaced him with it. That was brilliant. I laughed. You think when the Storyteller was making up these spells that the witches could use he wouldn't have gone. "Let's put in a spell that turns things to gold! That will be cheap and easy to pull off with my invisible army."

So it was enjoyable. The Pheonix Wright court trials grew on me but I still found them annoying. I was shouting at the screen, "That's just conjecture! You have no proof!" but then the witness confesses to their crimes even though if they didn't they could have totes gotten away with it!
Urgh.

upandaway

Just finished it, still haven't looked at the DLC. I missed 150 Picarats from when I accidentally saved after hitting wrong in the 2nd trial (which I wasn't even wrong on! the game had a really awkward way of choosing evidence sometimes), but I got all puzzles, all hint coins intact, and all picarats outside of that, so it's not hard at all.
Took me ~25 hours

It was apparent pretty immediately, and for the entire game onwards, that it's more like a full Layton game with AA court segments than a half-half crossover between Layton and AA. I like AA a lot more than Layton, but I ended up thinking that the Layton part is the best Layton game I've played and the AA part is the worst AA game I've played. I still liked it, especially considering I haven't played an adventure game in a long time, so that was nice.

Some of the witnesses were amazing and the OST was crazy good. The OST was crazy crazy good.

The plot is full of so many holes that at some point I reached zen and was able to ignore them completely, haha. The trials were especially badly written but I liked some of the twists.

I'd recommend it for people who like both franchises, or for people who like Layton, but not really for people who only like AA. Layton carries itself completely differently from AA and the game was a Layton game to the core.

Lusankya

I'd recommend it for people who like both franchises, or for people who like Layton, but not really for people who only like AA. Layton carries itself completely differently from AA and the game was a Layton game to the core.

Hmm, I think it's the other way around. I think it's more for pure AA fans, but not for Layton only fans. Layton only fans usually will be irritated by the long trials which don't involve much interaction and no puzzles, while AA fans on the other hand probably don't have problems with the puzzle/investigation sections interjecting the trials.

Chaos17

I have never played an Ace Attorney game nor have I ever seen more than snippets of gameplay of them.
Story based, the first 3 Attorney are the best but I loved the atmosphere in this one.

upandaway

Hmm, I think it's the other way around. I think it's more for pure AA fans, but not for Layton only fans. Layton only fans usually will be irritated by the long trials which don't involve much interaction and no puzzles, while AA fans on the other hand probably don't have problems with the puzzle/investigation sections interjecting the trials.
I guess. I was thinking more in the sense of the separate quality of the two halves. I think it's safe to assume that if someone is interested he should at least have some sort of affinity with both types of games.

It's probably true though that AA fans are more inclusive to Layton games than the other way around

Rarity

Ha, I'm so confused. Though, I figure that being a fan of both franchises, I'll like this just fine.

Tizoc

Does this really still not have a North American release date?

Is this how Europe feels so often?

I'd hoped it's released over there by now.
You're missing out on some of the most hilarious Court moments ever.
EVER.
Also dat Darklaw.

Eurobros, I have a question. Should I get this game if I don't really like the PL games? I mean, I want it because of AA, but the thought of the PL parts are kinda turning me off. Is it still worth it if I'll basically hate half of the game?

upandaway

Eurobros, I have a question. Should I get this game if I don't really like the PL games? I mean, I want it because of AA, but the thought of the PL parts are kinda turning me off. Is it still worth it if I'll basically hate half of the game?
Hard to say, depends on just how much you hate Layton and how much you like the gameplay of AA. Although the gameplay is evenly split between Layton and AA, I felt like the overall game (like story, music, art etc) was decisively a Layton game.

That's just me though, hopefully someone else can offer a different opinion.

If you don't like the Layton games to that degree then I can't really see you enjoying this on the whole.
Outside of the puzzles the whole thing is still quite Layton like in structure.

Frost_Ace

I'd say no. You'll hate most of the game and the "twisty" nature of the story.

I don't like the sound of this. Are the AA parts at least really super cool?

There's some interesting ideas to them not seen in the main series like group testimonies, I found the dialogue and characters pretty enjoyable as always and the game's setting gives a different tone to your standard courtroom procedures alongside some great court music that takes advantage of a style befitting the medieval like world.

At some point in the latter half of the game the Layton factor starts to shine all the more brightly I'd guess that might impact your enjoyment of the court sections.

jblank83

Just a note that the game's price at Amazon has dropped to $31.99 from an MSRP of $39.99. Gamestop is matched to that price.

Not sure if this represents a permanent drop or not, so I went ahead and locked it in with a preorder.

MNC

Am at the final trial. This game really is amazing and everything's starting to fall together. Just got to the storytellers tower.
The automatic knights and the photograph make me think this is a The Village kind of thing, where labyrinthia is stuck in medieval mode and the outside world wants to keep it like that. I still can't explain the magic... Darklaw and Espella are obviously sisters and the storyteller wrote "my daughter" in the story, meaning Darklaw is Bezella.
That's my theory, anyway.

Top Bottom