• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progress: The Great American LOST Re-Watch Thread *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

After re-watching the entire series... does anyone else fuck up as much as Jack? His intentions and their results never quite match up. I guess Kate, maybe, but it's not really on the same level in terms of importance.

selig

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
After re-watching the entire series... does anyone else fuck up as much as Jack? His intentions and their results never quite match up. I guess Kate, maybe, but it's not really on the same level in terms of importance.

of course.
Jack is a person of reality, he wants to do as much good as he can. But the island isnt part of your normal reality.

btw. i recently rewatched the episode of season 5 where Farady meets Desmond (in the past), telling him that he´s not bound to the rules of time traveling. Can someone explain why he´s not part of it?

Solo

xbhaskarx said:
does anyone else fuck up as much as Jack?

No, hes the biggest fuckup. Especially in S1-S4 where he literally wont listen to anyone's ideas. Its Jack's way or the highway. Unfortunately, Jack's way usually ends up disastrous.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Solo said:
No, hes the biggest fuckup. Especially in S1-S4 where he literally wont listen to anyone's ideas. Its Jack's way or the highway. Unfortunately, Jack's way usually ends up disastrous.

jack is a strange bird, and hard to pin down as a viewer. he is really cognizant and convincing with his logic, but he frequently goes off the rails and makes some decisions that end up resulting in some bad situations. i was reading a book about LOST (yes, i am a nerd) and the creators were discussing just this aspect of him: initially, it's very black and white where jack is concerned, in that he rushes out of the jungle and saves a lot of people's lives. for the first half, or even 2/3, of the first season, he's most definitely a force of good and logic and makes some decisions beneficial to everyone. later, as things get decidedly more complex, he has to stray further and further into the grey areas of judgment and even morality.

you can look at jack and say, "why is he making all these bad decisions?" but the truth is, he makes a great number of the judgment calls on the show for everyone, and they go with him on it. with him making so many decisions, who's to say anyone else would do any better? plus, in most situations, there's really not much indication that the diametric opposite decision would turn out any better, or that there's any easy solution jack just walked right by. that issue is particularly evident in the decision they have to make at the end of season 5. i'm really not sure what the right call is in such a situation.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I just had a dream that Hatch Desmond was killed by one of the time traveling Losties and I was SO CONFUSED. Past Desmond was in some sort of Hatch-like bunker and someone tossed a grenade in - blood went everywhere, but his corpse was still in tact. Thinking about the consequences of their actions hurt my fucking brain man - most importantly though, Des never meets up with Penny again! FUUUUUUUUUU--

And then for some reason, half way through the dream, the narrative changed to a situation where past Sawyer had watched future Sawyer die, before past Sawyer ever got on the plane - vaguely explaining why past Sawyer had some kind of death wish the moment he got up outta the crash (even though we already had explained this). That shit was also incredibly tragic and inexplicable.

Fuck dreams.

SpeedingUptoStop

beelzebozo said:
that issue is particularly evident in the decision they have to make at the end of season 5. i'm really not sure what the right call is in such a situation.
I guess since things were ramped up by the fact that Dharma people had figured out who they were, they didn't have time to do anything else but, if that hadn't happened, I woulda done a bunch of shit to try and fuck up the past timeline and cause a flash (hopefully flashing me back to the present). Most importantly, I'd try to go and meet myself. I mean, if that fails, so what - but if it succeeds? FUUUU-

There are always a few Justin.tv streams but, as much as I'd love to watch it alongside GAF, that quality just isn't worth it. It's on the net within half an hour of airing, so you can discuss the initial aftermath with GAF if that is the path you choose to take...

EliCash

Yeahh I hate streaming so have to download hours after air in the states :(

I then have my rewatch on sky1 like a week later. Going to miss out on live commentary on gaf. Ah wells.

I really should make my avatar something Lost related methinks.

Solo said:

If not for Jack's leadership and ideas,

-His ex-wife would have remained paralyzed for the rest of her life
-Rose would have suffocated on the beach the day of the crash
-Hurley and Claire would have been killed by exploding plane debris
-Boone would have drowned trying to save that woman in the 2nd episode
-People would have fought with and killed each other over fresh water from almost the very beginning, preventing the tight-knit island society from ever even forming and allowing everyone to be summarily picked off by the Others
-Charlie would have died from being strung up by Ethan
-Libby would have died a terrible, much more painful death in the Hatch
-Ben would have died from a tumor, Sawyer would have been killed by that guy in the polar bear cage (name escapes me), Kate would probably still be a prisoner of the Others, and so would Juliet.
-Rose and Sun (maybe more) would have gone back to camp to check on Sayid, Bernard, and Jin during the Season 3 finale, and probably wound up a prisoner or dead
-No one would have ever left the island (this may be seen as a bad thing, but it also led us to where we are now)
-Penny and Desmond would never have reunited
-No one who left the island would have ever gotten back
-The bomb would have never gone off during the Incident (consequences to be determined)

I'm probably missing some stuff, but Jack's way doesn't usually end up disastrous. The only bad thing that I can think of (and I'm sure I'll be reminded if I'm wrong) is them leaving the island, and even that is questionable whether it's bad or not - just ask Desmond what he thinks.

DoomGyver

In 'The Incident' when Hurley is let out of prison he has cash, candy, and a pen. Jacob visits Kate and uses cash to pay for the lunch box. Visits Jack and gives him his apollo bar and visits Sawyer to give him a pen.

Just found it interesting.

Full Recovery said:
In 'The Incident' when Hurley is let out of prison he has cash, candy, and a pen. Jacob visits Kate and uses cash to pay for the lunch box. Visits Jack and gives him his apollo bar and visits Sawyer to give him a pen.

Holy shit. Nice catch.

Solo

ThLunarian said:

-People would have fought with and killed each other over fresh water from almost the very beginning, preventing the tight-knit island society from ever even forming and allowing everyone to be summarily picked off by the Others
-Ben would have died from a tumor, Sawyer would have been killed by that guy in the polar bear cage (name escapes me), Kate would probably still be a prisoner of the Others, and so would Juliet.
-Rose and Sun (maybe more) would have gone back to camp to check on Sayid, Bernard, and Jin during the Season 3 finale, and probably wound up a prisoner or dead
-No one would have ever left the island (this may be seen as a bad thing, but it also led us to where we are now)
-The bomb would have never gone off during the Incident (consequences to be determined).

If not for Jack's dictatorship and brainfarts:

- he wouldnt have married his ex-wife in the first place (he married her for the wrong reasons)
- Hurley and Claire would have died in the pilot
- Boone would have died a lot sooner
- the group would never have divided into beach and cave groups
- we wouldnt have had to endure a love triangle
- Ben would have died of a tumor
- the freighter wouldn't have come, and the commandos would never have killed all those redshirts + Alex
- he would have never ended up a pill popping addict who ruined every relationship he had
- Sun and Jin would never have been separated
- Locke would still be alive
- finally, and most importantly, we would never had to endure S5 :lol

Fuck you, Jackface!

Catalix said:
Guys... we're gonna have to bring him too

1zof6ud.jpg

:lol

Amazing.

neoism

ThLunarian said:

-The bomb would have never gone off during the Incident (consequences to be determined)

I'm probably missing some stuff, but Jack's way doesn't usually end up disastrous. The only bad thing that I can think of (and I'm sure I'll be reminded if I'm wrong) is them leaving the island, and even that is questionable whether it's bad or not - just ask Desmond what he thinks.
Awesome a Jack fan, we need more posters like you!

Catalix said:
Guys... we're gonna have to bring him too

1zof6ud.jpg
holy shit didn't even notice it at first!:lol :lol

Blader

Solo said:
- the freighter wouldn't have come, and the commandos would never have killed all those redshirts + Alex

The freight would have never come if Desmond hadn't turned the failsafe key and sent off a big electromagnetic signal to the outside world. And Desmond would have never had to use the key if Locke hadn't idiotically destroyed the computer.

So ultimately, the freighter was Locke's fault. =P

Yaweee

EDIT: oops, sorry, wrong thread. Had two reply windows open at once and got them mixed up =( :lol

What I meant to respond to...

Full Recovery said:

Weird. Probably was intentional, but I can't imagine why - they're absolutely not the same pen or type of candy.

Oh, and you forgot " Jacob visits Hurley in a car, then lets Sayid's wife get killed by one."

Blader

Yaweee said:
The dumb bastards seem to only spawn half the time across the 3+ minute sessions I've tried against the targeting dummies, then they wander around like an idiot for a few seconds before starting to dps.

wat

SpeedingUptoStop

Full Recovery said:

1zpifyx.gif

DoomGyver

Who else thinks Ben is a virgin? I know that Annie girl had a thing for him but I think she got shipped out via sub before Ben had a chance to bang that. I bet this is why Ben is such an evil sonofabitch. I don't buy that whole "he'll lose his innocence" crap from Richard. It's all because he never felt the touch of a woman.

If Jacks plan works and they go back in time this would give Ben a second chance to bang Juliet. But man wouldn't that be awkward? It would be awesome because there would finally be a Juliet sex scene but if it involved Ben I don't know. Sex and Ben do not mix. I mean, just imagine what Ben's Oh face would be. :lol

Full Recovery said:

It's John's compass all over again! D:

Bo130

Full Recovery said:

Woooow. Nice one. What's the theories on the guitar in that scene? Charlies?

big ander

Bo130 said:
Woooow. Nice one. What's the theories on the guitar in that scene? Charlies?
This isn't a full-on spoiler, but it is information released outside of the show (I think in the official lost podcast):
It might not even be a guitar in the guitar case.
Don't know what that means though :lol

Yaweee

TheLastFantasy said:
It's John's compass all over again! D:

But it's not the same items that Hurley has that Jacob gives. Hurley has a fruit roll-up, Jack gets an Apollo bar? The pen that Jacob gives Sawyer is a rather nice one, while Hurley's is a cheap clicky ball-point.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Full Recovery said:
Who else thinks Ben is a virgin? I know that Annie girl had a thing for him but I think she got shipped out via sub before Ben had a chance to bang that. I bet this is why Ben is such an evil sonofabitch. I don't buy that whole "he'll lose his innocence" crap from Richard. It's all because he never felt the touch of a woman.

If Jacks plan works and they go back in time this would give Ben a second chance to bang Juliet. But man wouldn't that be awkward? It would be awesome because there would finally be a Juliet sex scene but if it involved Ben I don't know. Sex and Ben do not mix. I mean, just imagine what Ben's Oh face would be. :lol
n2elix.jpg

Would've been messed up if Ben got Annie pregnant when they were teenagers, and she died during childbirth (thus fueling his obsession with fixing the Island's fertility problem).

But Annie was no where to be seen during Season 5. Weird how she just vanished without even a hint of her whereabouts. Kinda anticlimactic. You're probably right about her being shipped out via sub before the time-skipping Losties arrived.

Yaweee

LOST has the best damn season openings of any show... ever.

S1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s96iG2lwam4

S2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0Zkin6_Yyo&feature=fvw

S3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEQLJmubF8&feature=fvw

S4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIIjD798yx0

S5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAfKHzZhd1g

S4's is probably the weakest. It set up the entire season, but isn't nearly as much of a twist as the other openings. Best... is probably a knife fight between S1 and S2 (but I expect most people to pick S1. How can anyone watch that and hate Jack?)

The Season 2 opener caught me so off guard when it aired. "OK, so there's this guy living somewhere who uses a computer and works out to The Mamas and the Papas" *ascending sequence* "Woh"

Akia

Dead said:
Season 2 opening is god tier. Blew my mind the first time I saw it.

That and the Season 3 ending scene are top of my list of mind blowing LOST moments.

That ending changed everything.

Pakkidis said:
Season 2 is still the best season opener for any show ever done, ever.

+1

They make you think something but then, you totally get your mind blown only by seeing something that proves you wrong. This is the thing I love most about Lost. They did it in Season 2 opener when we thought that it was a flashback, but we were proved wrong only by seeing Jack and Locke. Season 3 finale, when we thought it was a regular flashback but were proven wrong only by seeing Kate. Season 5 finale with all the dead Locke corpse out of the crate thing, we were mind blown by the fact that that was a Fake John Locke! They writers don't tell you the story, they SHOW it to you.

I love you, Lost. Best piece of Television ever made.

Akia said:
That and the Season 3 ending scene are top of my list of mind blowing LOST moments.

That ending changed everything.

Because I had most everything spoiled for me at one point or another, Michael betraying everyone has been my biggest Lost shocker yet.

That's why I'm Spoiler Free For S6.

SpeedingUptoStop

BenjaminBirdie said:
Because I had most everything spoiled for me at one point or another, Michael betraying everyone has been my biggest Lost shocker yet.

Yea that one had me yelling at the TV like OMFG.

Same thing for the hatch exploding. Hatch exploded = my fucking brain exploded. Were John, Eko and Desmond even alive?! I didn't know! My 3 favorite characters on the show were all simultaneously murdered for half a second there.

Tim-E

BenjaminBirdie said:

I have been shocked by things in the series before, but this one takes the god damn cake by a mile. This was the first episode I watched as it aired, too. I spent a week or two catching up on DVD and downloaded episodes, and I started watching then.

big ander

TheExodu5 said:
Man the menus on the Blu-Rays are so awesome. The first disc of Season 5. :lol
What are the BD menus? The regular DVD menus are okay (Hot pocket in a microwave, Jughead, and Locke at the exit so far). I'm waiting until after season 6 to get a full BD awesomesauce set. I only have Seasons 2, 3, and 5 on standard DVD.

Nameless said:
Lost Season 6 Poster by AXN Brazil...Epic.

s6brazil.jpg

large version:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RrObyQ3Xz.../f98jgFnLIqk/s1600/posterlostseason6byaxn.jpg

god damn. I would wrap that shit around my body and wear it forever, fucking amazing.
Damn.

TheExodu5

Banned
big ander said:
What are the BD menus? The regular DVD menus are okay (Hot pocket in a microwave, Jughead, and Locke at the exit so far). I'm waiting until after season 6 to get a full BD awesomesauce set. I only have Seasons 2, 3, and 5 on standard DVD.

I'm guessing they're the same thing then. I never remembered the awesomesauce menus back when I had the regular DVDs.

I guess they're probably just seemless versions of the DVD menus then. I have Seasons 1-3 on DVD so I'll compare later on.

Blader

I didn't really get into Lost until the end of S3, so most of big shocks came from S4 and 5.

So in that regard, I'd say the most surprising moments for me were Alex getting shot and Locke's body being dumped on the beach.

Nameless

Tim-E said:
I'm watching The Brig right now. Holloway fucking OWNS this episode.

Truth. The Brig is one of my favorite episodes. I originally wanted an avatar of Sawyer's fatality move but couldn't find a quality image, though Locke with the corpse draped over his back is just as bad ass.

"How bout that.. Sawyer's my name too..."

Shit got ultra real in that episode in a hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom