• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mission

Just another vote for Porcupine Tree here. Been a fan for less than a year but I just can't get enough.

Good to see the distinction between Prog Rock and Prog Metal. I've been trying to decide whether to get the new Dream Theatre I have seen in stores since I always see people warring over whether PT or DT are better.

Just another month until Rush gets here. I am so excited about it.

No Marillion love in this thread? I'm a Fish man myself, so I'm not on the Marbles train, but I play their older stuff all the time.

marillion-script.jpg

Also, I hate Pink Floyd... especially Animals.

animals-cover-m.jpg

Coal

I LOVE The Mars Volta. Recently, I got into Rush and am also digging some Coheed And Cambria. Also, of course have to mention Pink Floyd. They're the shit.

Cocopjojo said:
Dream Theater
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Neal Morse
OSI
Liquid Tension Experiment

It started with Dream Theater and I discovered all of these others bands through them (through Portnoy, mainly). Neal Morse is probably my favorite artist.

I've been listening to all of Dream Theater's albums for a couple years and could never find another band like them. I do have In Absentia from Porcupine Tree as well and like that. What albums from those other bands you list would you recommend starting on to get into the band?

Fireblend

Banned
Speschal K said:
I've been listening to all of Dream Theater's albums for a couple years and could never find another band like them. I do have In Absentia from Porcupine Tree as well and like that. What albums from those other bands you list would you recommend starting on to get into the band?
OSI - Free
Transatlantic -SMPTe
Liquid Tension Experiment - They've got only 2, get em both.

And it's not that they're like Dream Theater, they basically are Dream Theater with a marginally modified lineup and style (at least those 3, Spock's Beard and Neal Morse (which is Spock's Beard ex-vocalist) are something else, also really good; get their album "Snow").

Also get Porcupine Tree's Deadwing, since it's by far their best album, and their latest EP, "Nil Recurring". And check out Frost*.

Coheed and Cambria is also awesome.

EVERYONE CHECK OUT FROST*. YOU'LL BE BLOWN AWAY. GUARANTEED

Frester

onemic said:
rush_movingf.jpg

This is all that matters

This.

Also, Coheed anyone?

Beaten! However, Good Apollo Vol. I is arguably their worst. Second Stage > No World For Tomorrow > In Keeping Secrets > Good Apollo 1

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
backflip10019 said:
God, I love Progressive Rock.
out of all the musical moods I've had for the past 25 years (the length of time I've been really listening to music), prog is the ONLY one to constantly be in my lineup, and my tastes are pretty diverse.

of course much of that probably has to do with the nature of the genre, to experiment with styles and themes. it makes it really difficult to nail down the genre to one particular format, as the awesome suggestions and references in this thread prove.

I don't know I like Good Apollo the best. It's the turning point in the series.

I would then have to follow it pretty much ho your list goes....

Fireblend

Banned
Frester said:
This.

Also, Coheed anyone?

Beaten! However, Good Apollo Vol. I is arguably their worst. Second Stage > No World For Tomorrow > In Keeping Secrets > Good Apollo 1
I agree. Second Stage is by far their best album, although I'd switch positions of "No World..." and "In Keeping Secrets.." in your list :p

Sharp

Since they haven't already been mentioned, allow me to plug Gentle Giant. Such a fucking awesome band, but an incredibly underappreciated one. I strongly encourage any prog rock fans--or hell, any music fans in general--to try their stuff. You won't be disappointed!

Not sure I'd call Pink Floyd prog rock, by the way. They were more psychedelic.

No love for Threshold? http://www.myspace.com/threshold

However, I think the term "progressive" may no longer apply as much to this particular segment of music. In trying to stay away from common forms and time signatures, many of them seem to fall into each other's patterns of melody and time.

It's fine we call it this, so we all know what we're talking about. But, I've always thought the term "progressive" was more associated with breaking boundaries and challenging the listener to take the next steps forward into new things.

I can't think of too many bands like that, where it really forces you to view the music differently. WOLD, is one such band that I find to be a challenge like this. It's pure torment and noise and defies pretty much every thing I thought music was.

Just a thought...

2w7lrbm.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
SaggyMonkey said:
No love for Threshold? http://www.myspace.com/threshold

However, I think the term "progressive" may no longer apply as much to this particular segment of music. In trying to stay away from common forms and time signatures, many of them seem to fall into each other's patterns of melody and time.
I already mentioned them in my post in the first page :D they're awesome, I just found out about them last year, and I think they've got something really unique going; I have yet to find one band similar to them, I love it. The themes and the music are awesome.

Dartastic said:
I JUST discovered them today. Too bad I'm having a really hard time finding their debut cd. Guah. This song however, is AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUF5ePCaW8c

What's funny is, you could have linked to any song, and we'd have to agree :lol King Crimson <3

Ceres

Banned
Witchfinder General said:
Prog Rock:

Porcuine Tree
Hawkwind
Rush

Prog Metal
Devin Townsend
Ocean Machine
Nightingale
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth
Witchcraft
Ayreon
Subterranean Masquerade

Bolded for emphasis

+Riverside
+Shadow Gallery

Also, Kamelot is a little bit prog metal but Kahn's old band Conception is much more so.
To-Mera is also some pretty good female fronted prog metal.

Fenix

Fireblend said:
Holy shit a prog thread. Ok let me start: From the top of my head:

OSI
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Chroma Key
Transatlantic

The Mars Volta
I'm not sure Muse qualifies but... I'll include it.
Joe Satriani
Alan Morse
The Alan Parson Project
Beardfish
Ayreon
Neal Morse
Spock's Beard
Blackfield
Camel
Devin Townsend
Dredg
Emerson Lake & Palmer
Genesis
King's X
King Crimson
Avantasia
Pain of Salvation
Pynk Floyd
Threshold
Porcupine Tree
Frost*

The Tangent
Pure Reason Revolution
Umphree's Macgee
Lots more.

You win the award for awesome.

Well, everyone in this thread does.

Edit: I'm gonna add Fates Warning and old Queensryche for awesomeness too.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
I should also mention that the missus and I will be seeing Porcupine Tree this Saturday night. Has anyone seen them play recently? And if so do you know what their set-list is like? I hope they play a bunch of material from Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun.

Ceres

Banned
Forgot about Threshold and I got to see them with Damian Wilson this past Sept. He ended up hanging out with bunch of us outside of one of the hotels in Atlanta for a few hours until about 6 AMish when most of us crashed the breakfast buffet of a hotel we weren't staying at. He got a good speaking to about the woman he had on stage from the erotic art exhibit upstairs from the venue.

I'm into the Mars Volta, Pink Floyd and Muse (If they count) myself. I'm currently in love with the Mars Volta and the random live performances you can find on the intrawebz.

batbeg

RX Bandits (Influence varies, but it's there - Crushing Destroyer, To Our Unborn Daughters on here, and also theirs a youtube clip lower down of ...And the Battle Begun)

And offshoots of said band, with more comparisons to Mars Volta being valid:

The Sound of Animals Fighting (Containing members from a shitload of bands)

Apotheke (RX Bandits jam only stuff, all improvised - RX -> Apotheke, geddit?)

Adamrogo

Banned
Goddamn, Chewbacca is a fucking wicked song. I can't believe I'm seeing them live in New York for their 10 year anniversary. :D

God's Beard said:
Buckethead is jazz, right

ehhh, he's very versatile and can do a lot of shit.
I still stand by that Praxis- Transmutation Mutandis is the best thing he's ever been a part of.

but yea +1 more for King Crimson
and Camel

and for a lil bit on the weirder stuff:
cover2288_18729.jpg

Buckethead
Mars Volta
Pink Floyd

I know a lot of prog heads (And just people in general) hate when others do this...but......RADIOHEAD!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Speschal K said:
Yeah, if you like Dream Theater (Scenes From A Memory-era), then you will like Liquid Tension Experiment.

Liara T'Soni said:
Buckethead
Mars Volta
Pink Floyd

I know a lot of prog heads (And just people in general) hate when others do this...but......RADIOHEAD!
Hah. Nah, I love Radiohead... but I don't consider them prog. Nor is Mars Volta. Mars Volta is like semi-prog, pop. Like Muse.

Sharp

Liara T'Soni said:
Buckethead
Mars Volta
Pink Floyd

How is Radiohead even remotely progressive rock?

Fireblend

Banned
Fenix said:
Edit: I'm gonna add Fates Warning and old Queensryche for awesomeness too.
Queensryche I can forgive myself, but Fates Warning is fucking awesome, can't believe I missed them in my list. Disconnected is an awesome album :D

And yeah, as much as I love Muse, they're no prog :p nor is Radiohead.

Fenix

Adamrogo said:
Goddamn, Chewbacca is a fucking wicked song. I can't believe I'm seeing them live in New York for their 10 year anniversary. :D

Canadians are extremely jealous (as I am sure many others are).

Sharp said:
How is Radiohead even remotely progressive rock?

I was more or less half-joking, since the definition of Progressive rock seems so arbitrary.

Ok Computer sounds quite progressive to me.

I hate music categorization anyways, I hope it dies out at some point in human history, and everything is just music,

Mango Positive said:
Most of you folks probably haven't heard about Umphrey's McGee, but trust me that they're selling out nice venues in your area (occasionally for the Europe folk).

But seriously, get some Umphrey's McGee.

Not bad... checked out their MySpace.

That said, I thought it was awesome that they have their own fan NES cover band:

Umphrey's McNES

Adamrogo

Banned
Fenix said:
Canadians are extremely jealous (as I am sure many others are).

Road trip leaving from Toronto! booked the hotel today. :D

And rumor is that there will be a DVD recording at this show. It will be the definition of epic.

Dead

well not really...yet
59333.jpg

A concept album about a concept album. Sort of.

Pure-Reason-Revolution-The-Dark-Third-355406.jpg

Pure Reason revolution. recent-ish outfit from the UK. Seems to get thrown into the "new-progressive" bunch (bands like Oceansize, Muse, Mars Volta). But I think they're more straight out progressive than those bands.

Fenix

Adamrogo said:
Road trip leaving from Toronto! booked the hotel today. :D

And rumor is that there will be a DVD recording at this show. It will be the definition of epic.

Fuuuuuck.gif

I hope that there is a DVD recording.

I'm actually going to Cleveland from Waterloo for the DT show there in May, can't wait.

Adamrogo

Banned
Fenix said:
Fuuuuuck.gif

I hope that there is a DVD recording.

I'm actually going to Cleveland from Waterloo for the DT show there in May, can't wait.

I hope so too, I'll buy like 20 copies.

Nice, have you seen DT before? I was going to go back to NYC a couple weeks later to see them, but I've seen them quite a few times already, so I figured it's not too big a deal I'm missing out this tour. They'll be back in Toronto soon enough I'm sure.

Since there are so many DT fans here, I'll post these, my two EBMM JP guitars signed by JP, and the other by all of DT :D

bfr7.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

Fenix

Adamrogo said:
I hope so too, I'll buy like 20 copies.

Nice, have you seen DT before? I was going to go back to NYC a couple weeks later to see them, but I've seen them quite a few times already, so I figured it's not too big a deal I'm missing out this tour. They'll be back in Toronto soon enough I'm sure.

Since there are so many DT fans here, I'll post these, my two EBMM JP guitars signed by JP, and the other by all of DT :D

Seen 'em 4 times so far and went to the signing at the HMV in Toronto over the summer. I got JP to sign my copy of Necronomicon.

Damn you and your Musicman guitars... so jealous.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Spotless Mind said:
I take it you are in Sydney, Witchfinder. :) I'm seeing Porcupine Tree Saturday night as well, and was wondering the same thing.

Yup. I saw Opeth play their Damnation set a few years back at the same place.

Witchfinder General said:
Prog Rock:

Porcuine Tree
Hawkwind
Rush

Prog Metal
Devin Townsend
Ocean Machine
Nightingale
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth
Witchcraft
Ayreon
Subterranean Masquerade

I second this. good choices.

Id like to add Spheric Universe Experience. Pretty much what Dream Theater would sound like if they stuck with a Images and Words sound throughout.:D

Adamrogo

Banned
Fenix said:
Seen 'em 4 times so far and went to the signing at the HMV in Toronto over the summer. I got JP to sign my copy of Necronomicon.

Damn you and your Musicman guitars... so jealous.

Nice man, they are always perfect live.

lol, did he recognize the game?

And I'm seeing if I can meet up with a personal friend of JP's for some drinks before the show in NYC, who's going along with Charlie Dominici.

Ceres

Banned
A few have posted Ayreon but if anyone here hasn't heard of Arjen's work before, you HAVE to check it out. It always features singers like Russell Allen, James LaBrie, Mikael Åkerfeldt, Damian Wilson, Daniel Gildenlöw, Anneke van Giersbergen, Tom S. Englund, Peter Daltrey, Edward Reekers, etc

Here's Russell Allen singing Dawn of a Million Souls on the Star One tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom