• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

StevieP said:
The Wii name is a global phenomenon. The only people that consider it tainted are message board gaming trolls like us and "hardcore" videogame "journalists" :)

I don't know that I have any real life friends who post online, but I know they all hate the Wii. I'm like the most moderate one. It's more than just trolls and journalists who have some serious hate Wii's way.

ReyVGM

1-D_FTW said:
I don't know that I have any real life friends who post online, but I know they all hate the Wii. I'm like the most moderate one. It's more than just trolls and journalists who have some serious hate Wii's way.

Or Nintendo hate in general.

StevieP said:
The Wii name is a global phenomenon. The only people that consider it tainted are message board gaming trolls like us and "hardcore" videogame "journalists" :)
Truer words have never been spoken.
1-D_FTW said:
I don't even think it stems just from Nintendo hate. Some people may just hate the name, but some people are just insecure about playing something called a Wii.

StevieP

Banned
1-D_FTW said:

Just for curiousity's sake - they are all guys 30 and under?
And, to top the question off, do they regularly play Call of Duty?

but some people are just insecure about playing something called a Wii.
Mario games need more tits.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
StevieP said:
Michael Pachter said:
I don’t see how that kind of connection works, and think ‘streaming from the Internet’ makes more sense. Perhaps the controller would stream through the console like Netflix, but I don’t really see the point in streaming to the controller if you already have it on the TV.”

I'm blown away that the guy can't even comprehend how this would work. I absolutely cannot believe people listen to this guy for predictions when he can't make a simple logical connection like this.

ShinNL

It's funny how we can guess what kind of friends you have if you say "they all hate the Wii". Your scope of friend-types is probably not that big. It's pretty hard to find a female or parent that actually hates the Wii. If Nintendo did anything right, if would've been how they handled the name. The only image the public has when they hear the Wii is a bunch of a people in white clothing playing Wii Sports. The launch was a phenomenon.

antonz

Considering Cafe is meant to appeal to the people who despise the Wii name it only makes sense for the Wii name to be abandoned

HYDE said:
Super Nintendo Wii.

I want the console to be designed like the (PAL) Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, and have a slot loader just like the Wii/PS3.

http://jscustom.theoldcomputer.com/...ms/Nintendo/SNES/907470Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg

I couldn't be bothered doing analogs and triggers for the pad, just wanted to see what the model would look like with a slot drive...

edit:

... BMF posted it for me in the mockup thread -
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428832&page=3 (page 1.5 for folks not on 100 posts a page)

JGS

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
Not trying to troll because I love mine, but Xbox360 is the worst name ever for a console. It's like they didn't even try although they probably spent millions coming up with it.

Wii, after Nintendo explained it, makes sense and is kind of cuddly...kinda. This thing cannot be named Wii2.

1-D_FTW said:
Of course they hate Nintendo and the Wii. What self-respecting dudebro wouldn't?

On that thought, I'd like to say that you can probably create a whole set up stereotypes based on what people think of the Wii.

radioheadrule83 said:
I couldn't be bothered doing analogs and triggers for the pad, just wanted to see what the model would look like with a slot drive...

hecbG.gif

Totally added to the mockup thread.

TAS

They should definitely incorporate the NES name. It has a legendary pedigree and everyone and their grandmothers knows it.

watershed

Banned
StevieP said:

I agree that the Wii name is strong but I think Nintendo would be wise to go with a new name. Firstly, Nintendo is a globally recognized and respected brand name in itself, powerful enough to get mainstream consumer attention without the Wii name. Second if they keep the Wii name and add or modify it I think they risk a situation like the 3ds where consumers think it is a new edition of the Wii instead of a brand new/separate console. Seriously don't underestimate consumers who will say "I already have a Wii I don't need a new one". Even with a new controller, HD graphics, and a name like Wii 2 or Super Wii I think a lot of mainstream consumers will make this mistake in perception of the console.

The Wii name is too tainted and gives off an image that I doubt Nintendo wants to carry over to the new system.
They'll use a new name.

Wii is a strong brand but this new console isn't motion gaming (from what we've heard).

Don't think they'll use "Wii" anywhere in the title.

They won't use Wii because they haven't kept a console name since the NES --> SNES transition. Granted, the Wii is Nintendo's first true console success story since the SNES, but I feel like they'll stick to what they're used to.

Sony will call their next console Playstation 4, Microsoft will release the Xbox (insert suffix here) and Nintendo will have a brand new console name.

Woffls

They won't use NES in the name anywhere. The thirty-somethings say it resembles purity, but they'll just turn around and say that it's cashing in on a Nintendo that no longer exists.

The Wii name is tainted. Even 'Nintendo' is bad enough to some people, the kind of people that only play shooters and sports games. If Nintendo wants to appeal to that demographic, they'll distance themselves from Wii as a brand.

They simply cannot do anything but give this system a new name. It might use the 'ii' spelling (Striim, for example) but the name itself will be new.

Woffls said:
They won't use NES in the name anywhere. The thirty-somethings say it resembles purity, but they'll just turn around and say that it's cashing in on a Nintendo that no longer exists.

The Wii name is tainted. Even 'Nintendo' is bad enough to some people, the kind of people that only play shooters and sports games. If Nintendo wants to appeal to that demographic, they'll distance themselves from Wii as a brand.

They simply cannot do anything but give this system a new name. It might use the 'ii' spelling (Striim, for example) but the name itself will be new.
The demographic that Nintendo is trying to attract(dudebros, "graphics whores", tech minded people, competitive online players and the males under 30) to their console will put up tons of resistance no matter what decision they make to court them. Nintendo's family friendly nature will always pit them against this particular group of people.

The only thing that will change their minds is better production values(temporary until MS and Sony jump into the fray) on their favorite games and the hook of an online community and console exclusive friends. Nintendo has about two years to develop those hooks and they're the only real shot that Nintendo has at grabbing a part of that demographic.
StevieP said:
Mario games need more tits.
Maybe the next Mario game will return to a Delfino kind of setting. I wouldn't mind it one bit.

TAS said:
They should definitely incorporate the NES name. It has a legendary pedigree and everyone and their grandmothers knows it.

It's practically unknown in the Under 18 demographic with the exception of the hardcore Nintendo fans or people who have researched video game history.

artwalknoon said:
I agree that the Wii name is strong but I think Nintendo would be wise to go with a new name. Firstly, Nintendo is a globally recognized and respected brand name in itself, powerful enough to get mainstream consumer attention without the Wii name. Second if they keep the Wii name and add or modify it I think they risk a situation like the 3ds where consumers think it is a new edition of the Wii instead of a brand new/separate console. Seriously don't underestimate consumers who will say "I already have a Wii I don't need a new one". Even with a new controller, HD graphics, and a name like Wii 2 or Super Wii I think a lot of mainstream consumers will make this mistake in perception of the console.

I doubt it. The wii only ever had one edition in two colors, unlike the DS. Plus their new system will definitely be much larger than the wii and likely different styling. Shouldn't be any confusion.

They've never decided on a bad brand imo. Even virtual boy had a decent font / type-set that suited the period, it was the product that was a mis-step and a let-down.

When Wii was announced I know everyone snickered, but they were able to spit bullshit about how it symbolised 'we' and a coming together, and it was a single syllable, easily remembered... not to mention all the early buzz about whether the name would be a good move or not -- which of course, automatically made it a good move.

I look forward to seeing what name they come up with next... because I don't think it's cafe OR stream..

ImnSZ.png

4ZW50.png

8Gkxc.png

9V5Y7.gif

X9kFZ.gif

iyk8r.jpg

Boerseun

Banned
StevieP said:

Brilliant! :-D I quote you because this post deserves quoting!

It isn't just "hardcore" and "journalists".
The Wii name basically means the "WiiSports and Just Dance machine" to pretty much everyone.
If they want to really broaden their audience, they'll drop the Wii name.

BY2K

Membero Americo
AceBandage said:
It isn't just "hardcore" and "journalists".
The Wii name basically means the "WiiSports and Just Dance machine" to pretty much everyone.
If they want to really broaden their audience, they'll drop the Wii name.

They need to bring back "Nintendo" in the name.

Nintendo Entertainment System
Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube
Wii
Nintendo "Insert New Name Here*

I want that.

BY2K said:

Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube
Wii

I want that.

99% of people I know refer to it as the "Nintendo Wii" and "Wii" as an abbreviation of that.

Big One

Banned
BY2K said:

Nintendo 64
Nintendo Gamecube
Wii

I want that.
What are you talking about? It's called the Nintendo Wii by most people/sources.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
ReyVGM said:
Or Nintendo hate in general.
I love Nintendo's stuff generally. IMO the Gamecube was the greatest console of all time - I really wasn't a fan of the Wii. But fall back on a 'dudebro' stereotype all you like :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
you guys dont get it.

the real brand name is NINTENDO. Wii 2 or Wii Stream is just as likely as Wii being called GameCube 2.

Earl Cazone said:
thats why nintendo dropped "nintendo" in the console title

Everybody knew it was Nintendo, though. As far as the public is concerned it is "The Nintendo Wii", regardless of what they officially branded it as. We also had "The Nintendo DS" and "The Nintendo 3DS" and "The Nintendo GameCube" and "The Nintendo Gameboy", etc. Nintendo is a far stronger name than just Wii, or any other individual name of their products.

Now, they could absolutely call it Wii2 or Super Wii or whatever. We've had the Gameboy Advance and the 3DS as a precedent for this. Then again, they can do whatever the fuck they want and if they think they've got a better chance as the Nintendo DickCunt or whatever, then they'll do that.

Daschysta

You have to think with the big wii drought that Ninty's big teams have been working on SOMETHING. They can't all be on 3ds games.

At the very least we should see Retro's next project, and Mario game announced.

Also has anyone else thought of how cool a new Fire Emblem game would be with an intuitive touch screen interface?

gerg

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Everybody knew it was Nintendo, though. As far as the public is concerned it is "The Nintendo Wii", regardless of what they officially branded it as. We also had "The Nintendo DS" and "The Nintendo 3DS" and "The Nintendo GameCube" and "The Nintendo Gameboy", etc. Nintendo is a far stronger name than just Wii, or any other individual name of their products.

You say that, but I know someone who didn't realise that Nintendo made the Wii.

News reports and articles may have some effect, but so does the official marketing and advertising.

Daschysta

I think that they'll be more upfront with Nintendo Labeling this time around. The whole "wii" thing was a purposeful rebrand after nintendo's rep was blemished in the publics eye by the gamecube. If their trying to be competitive in the gamer circles again I don't think they'll run away from the nintendo name It helps them get "lapsed" gamers back with fond memories of their glory days and it won't scare away "dudebro" consumers if their console has the best version of games like COD. The Nintendo name is still strong as long as they don't make their console purple and shape it like a lunchbox (which would actually be kindof impressive if it's truly the size fo the OG xbox 360.)

Caramello

Daschysta said:
You have to think with the big wii drought that Ninty's big teams have been working on SOMETHING. They can't all be on 3ds games.

At the very least we should see Retro's next project, and Mario game announced.

Also has anyone else thought of how cool a new Fire Emblem game would be with an intuitive touch screen interface?

Of course they're working on stuff lol

As for Retro Studios, they finished work on Donkey Kong Country Returns 6 months ago.. They could have had a small team working on another project as well but I kind of doubt that because they have never really worked that way since Metroid Prime was in development. I think next E3 is where we'll see something from them.

If you wanna have a look at what resources Nintendo have at their disposal, check out this awesome site set up by a fellow gaffer. (I've linked you to the EAD section but poke around in the other sections too.

JGS

Banned
Daschysta said:
I've heard this before...

I think they cancel a lot of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom