• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksrb

Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

The wait for the E3 Cafe reveal or the following 15 months waiting for the console to come out?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

The wait for the E3 Cafe reveal or the following 15 months waiting for the console to come out?
The wait for E3 until Tuesday when good games come out. There's tons of games I can also be playing until this comes out.

KrawlMan

jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Definitely the wait until E3. There are plenty of great games I'm looking forward to playing through the end of this year and into next year. I just want to see the damn console. I want to see if Nintendo is making a console that is worth getting. Most of all, I want to see Nintendo tease what their franchises could look like on the system (whether or not they end up looking exactly like that, I won't care at the time).

jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Knowing that my LoZ SS hype has been damn near completely eclipsed by my dream of how LoZ Cafe is gonna look+play and knowing that its likely gonna be years before we even get to see a hint of it.

Outside of that? E3 ... I don't think I'm gonna be day one if this is $350+ so I'm ok with waiting.

swerve

jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Definitely the wait for E3, because after that, news will flow more regularly and everyone can talk about it. We'll have a name, maybe, and developers will be able to let us in on their projects.

A constant flow of news makes the wait much less bothersome.

StevieP

Banned
AceBandage said:
It isn't just "hardcore" and "journalists".
The Wii name basically means the "WiiSports and Just Dance machine" to pretty much everyone.
If they want to really broaden their audience, they'll drop the Wii name.

The Wii DID broaden their audience. The DS was the only system that sold more this generation, and it's more than quadrupled the sales of their Nintendo Gamecube. It has also sold the most software this generation on the console front, and has a tie ratio comparable to the PS3 (and approx 1 game per person behind the 360), third parties included.

So yes,

The Wii name is a global phenomenon. The only people that consider it tainted are message board gaming trolls like us and "hardcore" videogame "journalists" :)

I'm not saying their next console should be named the Wii 2, but give credit where it's due. That Wii Sports ignited the fire that kept the systme sold out for nearly 3 years is not detrimental to the facts that a LOT of software sold on the machine and people were using it for more than dance and fitness games. That's a generalization that doesn't match up with a lot of the top selling games on the Wii that *weren't* Just Dance (which is on the low end of the sales totem pole for the multimillion sellers on the system, at only 4 mil).

jacksrb

Black-Wind said:
Knowing that my LoZ SS hype has been damn near completely eclipsed by my dream of how LoZ Cafe is gonna look+play and knowing that its likely gonna be years before we even get to see a hint of it.

Outside of that? E3 ... I don't think I'm gonna be day one if this is $350+ so I'm ok with waiting.

Can't say I disagree about the wait to E3 being much more acute, at least. Nothing is more exciting to than new home console reveals, especially Nintendo ones. Especially with crazy ass controllers.

However, I am really looking forward to LoZ SS in the worst way. Twilight Princess is still the game I have spent the most hours on with my Wii. So SS will be a nice bridge.

Hopefully we will only be waiting until a September timeframe next year for the N6.

HeySeuss

Does anybody really think they will disclose the official name or price? There's no reason for them to do that with a year before launch.

This is going to be a giant cocktease to show all the bells and whistles and third party support so that we stay excited and keep hyping it and frothing over each new breadcrum of info.

We won't know the name or price until about 3 months from launch. My personal opinion is that it will not have any Wii branding and Nintendo will continue to support their casual titles on the Wii and leverage the Cafe as the option for "real games"(I say that rolling my eyes).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
JohnTinker said:
Please Nintendo show actual gameplay in real time and not something like this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qUavULj4Bo

(or Sony in 06)
Nintendo have said it's playable at the event, so you don't have to worry about that.

EDIT: Beaten.

Shick Brithouse said:
Does anybody really think they will disclose the official name or price? There's no reason for them to do that with a year before launch.
Price? Definitely not. Name? Sure, why not?

Shick Brithouse said:
We won't know the name or price until about 3 months from launch. My personal opinion is that it will not have any Wii branding and Nintendo will continue to support their casual titles on the Wii and leverage the Cafe as the option for "real games"(I say that rolling my eyes).
Why keep the name such a secret? We knew the Wii name about 7 months from launch and the 3DS name a year in advance. It could be less than a year between the E3 reveal and the launch, so I'd be very surprised if they don't announce the name as part of the unveiling.

I mean, it's going to begin manufacturing in October. If they don't announce the name it won't take long to leak.

Shick Brithouse said:
Does anybody really think they will disclose the official name or price?

Maybe not price, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't set an MSRP / RRP again.. but I do expect a name, yes. We got the name of the Wii before we got to see it in action, and we know for a fact we're seeing it in action at E3.

jacksrb said:
Can't say I disagree about the wait to E3 being much more acute, at least. Nothing is more exciting to than new home console reveals, especially Nintendo ones. Especially with crazy ass controllers.

However, I am really looking forward to LoZ SS in the worst way. Twilight Princess is still the game I have spent the most hours on with my Wii. So SS will be a nice bridge.

Hopefully we will only be waiting until a September timeframe next year for the N6.

Oh yes, I'm still hyped for SS. But it went from "YES! Finally a LoZ made for newest generation of Nintendo HW!" a few months ago to "The Wii is officially getting it's bullet to the head ... and we are just now getting it's LoZ? Meh, LoZ Cafe is gonna take forever to come".

I hate the idea of consoles getting "Swan Song" games like Pokemon B&W or LoZ SS. Its better to have a sweet new gen game at or near the start of the console's life than to give people more reason to hold off on getting the new HW IMO. But who knows, maybe they will pull a OoT 3DS and have some company take the game and upgrade the graphics for a Cafe release.

Probably 2-2.5ghz, but processing instructions out of order and running individual instructions in fewer clock cycles. A faster processor than the Xenon, but running at a lower clock speed.

HeySeuss

radioheadrule83 said:
Maybe not price, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't set an MSRP / RRP again.. but I do expect a name, yes. We got the name of the Wii before we got to see it in action, and we know for a fact we're seeing it in action at E3.
Point taken, but I don't think there is a reason for them to do it yet. This is the first reveal so they want all the focus on the games and the controller, not on a possibly odd name choice.

Persona7

Banned
jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Neither one, we already know Nintendo is making a new console that will probably have some games.

either way I am waiting for a price drop or two before jumping in.

StevieP

Banned
BMF said:
Probably 2-2.5ghz, but processing instructions out of order and running individual instructions in fewer clock cycles. A faster processor than the Xenon, but running at a lower clock speed.

That's highly possible (since they need OOO cores to do BC with Wii/GC's Power3, and the Xenos/Cell's 3ghz PPE doesn't do out-of-order) but if it's not a higher clockspeed, 98.5% of GAF will consider the system "slower" and "inferior" and all that fun stuff. Intel still hasn't washed away their clockspeed drops for the Core 2 line from the P4 =\

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BMF said:
Depending on what it's based on, that could be great for low power consumption. Nintendo could collaborate and get a modified POWER6, which is designed to run at over 4GHz. Cutting that down to 2.5GHz would result in low power consumption, and should run pretty cool. Given the architecture will be nearly five years old, it should come pretty cheap and yet still have plenty of oomph for games.

Edit: Although the POWER6 is also designed as a dual core chip and doesn't have OoOE, so that probably discounts it. Adding a third core in a custom chip shouldn't be an issue, but I don't know about adding OoOE. They could use a modified POWER7, but I imagine IBM would charge a lot more for that. Not sure what else they have that would be on the table for a 2012 console.

jacksrb

Persona7 said:
Neither one, we already know Nintendo is making a new console that will probably have some games.

either way I am waiting for a price drop or two before jumping in.

Sounds like there is never a tough wait, seeing as how we are all sure consoles will come out and games will be playable on them. And you can buy them all for cheaper if you wait long enough.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Shick Brithouse said:
Point taken, but I don't think there is a reason for them to do it yet. This is the first reveal so they want all the focus on the games and the controller, not on a possibly odd name choice.
If the name choice is so odd, it would be best for them to announce it as early as possible so as to get people used to it. They announced the Wii title (complete with a page explaining their motivations, as if they predicted the backlash) weeks before the E3 2006 unveiling for that very reason.
Besides, the console will be being manufactured in October. They have to announce the name now or it will leak.

chaosblade said:
Depending on what it's based on, that could be great for low power consumption. Nintendo could collaborate and get a modified POWER6, which is designed to run at over 4GHz. Cutting that down to 2.5GHz would result in low power consumption, and should run pretty cool. Given the architecture will be nearly five years old, it should come pretty cheap and yet still have plenty of oomph for games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PowerPC_processors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(microprocessor)

https://www-01.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/products/PowerPC_476FP_Embedded_Core

The thing about the PowerPC line in this day and age is that there is a huge variety of available options - not just IBM's POWER line. A lot of these options have a flexible buildout and number of cores and are *designed* to be adjusted to suite the needs of the system designer. The Titan and 476FP are great examples of these, but I would be loathe to suggest *any* specific platform given the great variety.

rpmurphy said:
Not in Japan. Its a boring name anyway.
I'd actually argue NES itself carries little distinct brand value, but Famciom carries immense brand value.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Everybody knew it was Nintendo, though. As far as the public is concerned it is "The Nintendo Wii", regardless of what they officially branded it as. We also had "The Nintendo DS" and "The Nintendo 3DS" and "The Nintendo GameCube" and "The Nintendo Gameboy", etc. Nintendo is a far stronger name than just Wii, or any other individual name of their products.
The Game Boy line wasn't officially Nintendo branded either. Just the home consoles pre-Wii and the DS line were. In Japan the Famicom line wasn't though.

Krowley

Shick Brithouse said:

This is going to be a giant cocktease to show all the bells and whistles and third party support so that we stay excited and keep hyping it and frothing over each new breadcrum of info.

I'm not sure about price, but I think we'll get the name. If they're going to actually let people play games, which apparently they are, then keeping the name a secret would just be weird.

The only reason they would keep the name secret is if its undecided. Otherwise, it would be better to start building the name ID of the new system right now, for branding purposes.

edit// lol, beaten like 5 times, I should've continued reading the thread instead of just responding reflexively :p

jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Neither. I have plenty of games in my backlog at the moment that should last me quite a while. I still think it is too early for next gen consoles.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
TheBaldEmperor said:
Neither. I have plenty of games in my backlog at the moment that should last me quite a while. I still think it is too early for next gen consoles.
It's not too early for Nintendo to release a new system though, judging by the state of the Wii. If anything their launch date might be too late.

But yes, I would agree that the general populous is not interested in an update to existing console technology, and won't be for a few years. I'm cool with that. Café needs to prove its features unique enough to justify the extra expense in this economy. It needs a lot more than slightly upgraded ports on much cheaper platforms.

ReyVGM

Does anybody have a countdown page? I'll leave it open until the conference starts.

Last year I miscalculated the time and the conference was ending by the time I started the video stream.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
BMF said:
The thing about the PowerPC line in this day and age is that there is a huge variety of available options - not just IBM's POWER line. A lot of these options have a flexible buildout and number of cores and are *designed* to be adjusted to suite the needs of the system designer. The Titan and 476FP are great examples of these, but I would be loathe to suggest *any* specific platform given the great variety.
The chances for Cafe's CPU not being an IBM design are very, very slim. Very.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
jacksrb said:
Let me ask you GAF.

What is worse?

Probably E3 since it is soooo close. Once i'll know what the Cafe, its controller, and the games will look like, it will be a different kind of wait. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TheBaldEmperor said:

I doubt Nintendo feels the same after the last few NPDs. It's time.

Dystify

ReyVGM said:
Does anybody have a countdown page? I'll leave it open until the conference starts.

Last year I miscalculated the time and the conference was ending by the time I started the video stream.

Yep.

What does everyone think Nintendo will do achievement wise? Assuming they do anything, could they just call them achievements and be done with it? I would have thought Microsoft had ownership of that term, (with Sony having trophies) but then Steam started using them and called them the same thing, so I don't know.

Unless Nintendo come up with an interesting take on them, I'd rather they stick with the "Achievement" term (assuming they can?). No point in trying to hide them under a different name, we know what they are and where they came from. Your d-pad became ubiquitous with other consoles Nintendo, accept that these have and add them to your new system.

Plus that puts Sony in their own corner with 3 competing systems using a (relatively) similar set-up.

StevieP

Banned
fishfishmonkeyhat said:
What does everyone think Nintendo will do achievement wise? Assuming they do anything, could they just call them achievements and be done with it? I would have thought Microsoft had ownership of that term, (with Sony having trophies) but then Steam started using them and called them the same thing, so I don't know.

Unless Nintendo come up with an interesting take on them, I'd rather they stick with the "Achievement" term (assuming they can?). No point in trying to hide them under a different name, we know what they are and where they came from. Your d-pad became ubiquitous with other consoles Nintendo, accept that these have and add them to your new system.

Plus that puts Sony in their own corner with 3 competing systems using a (relatively) similar set-up.

Coins. Like the 3DS. But I hate "achievments" in any incarnation lol.

fishfishmonkeyhat said:

They should expand their Game Coins idea on 3DS and supplement it with regular Achievements.

Currently you can only get 10GC a day on 3DS, and you get them by walking about with your system... they should allow each game to manage their own achievements, but log them all in one place, something like the Activity Log on 3DS. The key thing is that achievements should be comparable with friends' achievements... people like to waggle their ePenis' after all. If they allow the games to reward certain achievements and interactions with Game Coins, those coins can later be spent on novelty features inside other games, and you're effectively adding an additional reward to the already proven incentivisation of achievements.

blu said:
The chances for Cafe's CPU not being an IBM design are very, very slim. Very.
I'm just very wary of the idea that it will actually be one of the POWER line. Maybe something derived though.

Didn't IBM spin off most or all of their PowerPC stuff to AMCC anyway?

StevieP said:
Coins. Like the 3DS.

I was thinking a very Nintendo way might be two mario coins popping up in the lower corner of the screen when you unlock one (including mario coin sound effect), but that might be kinda distracting. And by distracting I mean terrible.

StevieP said:
But I hate "achievments" in any incarnation lol.

But they let me know when I can stop playing the game!

ReyVGM said:
Well, only 24 days left. It seems like yesterday when I posted "31 days left".
It won't be long before we get to start posting pictures like this:

majoras-mask-moon-600x400.jpg

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
radioheadrule83 said:
They should expand their Game Coins idea on 3DS and supplement it with regular Achievements.

I think that achievement/trophy/merit system is going to have be considered strongly for cafe. High scores work! They get people a certain amount of people to play more and compete with their friends. It really is lucrative. Plus you don't want someone buying an XBOX360 version of multi-platform game just because of that feature.

And it would make some Nintendo games that much better. Zelda and Smash Bros for example!

JoseJX

BMF said:
Didn't IBM spin off most or all of their PowerPC stuff to AMCC anyway?

No, AMCC primarily works on embedded PowerPC (think cars and industrial applications) while IBM focuses on the higher end (think fast servers and high end embedded applications).

Edit: To clarify, IBM did sell AMCC their 4xx processor line which is used in embedded systems, but that was in 2004 and it's not a SoC platform that's applicable to consoles.

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I think that achievement/trophy/merit system is going to have be considered strongly for cafe. High scores work! They get people a certain amount of people to play more and compete with their friends. It really is lucrative. Plus you don't want someone buying an XBOX360 version of multi-platform game just because of that feature.

And it would make some Nintendo games that much better. Zelda and Smash Bros for example!
I'm pretty sure I could come up with 50 achievements for OOT and/or Majora's Mask.

Instro

BMF said:

IIRC one of the rumors was that the cpu runs at a higher clock speed than the Xenon, probably was just speculation though.

It was for retailers. Nintendo has no reason to spill anything about Cafe to them, considering that launch is eleven months away at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom