• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYE

AceBandage said:
I think Cafe could be a good final name.
Still think they should just call it Nintendo, though.

Cafe works in English. Its classy

In other languages (like portuguese), not so much.

Fritz

AceBandage said:
I think Cafe could be a good final name.
Still think they should just call it Nintendo, though.

I'd love "Nintendo 5". Its number 6 though. "Nintendo 6" is okay as well I guess.

AceBandage said:
Nintendo Preto doesn't sound that bad.
Don't say that, you don't want it to be called Nintendo Preto.

God, that would be hilarious in my country, but anyway... "Cafe" is fine in portuguese.

Krowley

Nintendo Entertainment Streamer would be kind of sweet. I've been thinking about that one since the "Stream" rumor popped up.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
AceBandage said:
So yeah... a No More Heroes Game, with Shinobu and Sylvia communicating to you on the controller screen while you're in the middle of fights. Praising/berating you.
That makes me all giggly.
Codec calls during gameplay in Metal Gear! :eek:

No thanks.

birdchili

AceBandage said:
Nintendo Preto doesn't sound that bad.
sure, but one of the smart things they did with wii was have the same name globally. i would very-much expect them to try and do this again.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
°°ToMmY°° said:
Aren't you italian? Never heard preto as fart here. Whatever name it won't be worse than Sega tho.
Yep, and I said "peto" without R :)
Agreed about Sega, though!

EDIT: haha np!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
herzogzwei1989 said:
-Nintendo HD-

Simple.
Perfect.
Not really. Nintendo will want a name that sells it on it's unique features, not simply that it's a Nintendo console with HD graphics.
HD isn't a system selling feature these days. It's expected.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
While doubtful, anything Cafe-related come out of the Japanese retailers meeting last night? (I saw the StarFox 3DS news)

JohnTinker said:
While doubtful, anything Cafe-related come out of the Japanese retailers meeting last night? (I saw the StarFox 3DS news)

Maybe if Cafe were launching in the next couple months, there'd have been something.

I'm expecting the system to launch at 300 USD, which is enough to put it over the 3DS. I don't really understand why they would price it higher unless they pack in another controller for some reason, or they decide they want to go the PS3 "it's a home entertainment system, not a game system" route... Which I don't see happening at all.

June can't come fast enough for me, especially since they just pushed back the 3DS firmware update...

StevieP

Banned
.la1n said:
Please stay away from stupid names Nintendo, just go back to the simple days.

Nintendo Penis.

Demand was greater than supply after Xbox 360 launch, but supply was also really low. It took X360 six months to catch up to what the original Xbox sold in its first two months in the US.

Yes - the point I was trying to make, however, was that a system priced *too* high out of the gate will lower its initial acceptance by the mainstream. As a result of lower sales/userbase, third parties may think twice about porting or making games for the system early on.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Krowley said:
Nintendo Entertainment Streamer would be kind of sweet. I've been thinking about that one since the "Stream" rumor popped up.
The ultimate party console.

Olaeh

I like the name 'Cafe.'
I thought for sure they'd keep the Wii branding (name) but now, I'm not so sure...

SuperWii
Wii+
Wii2
etc....

I wonder if it'll come packaged with a screen controller and a Wiimote+

iceatcs

Hmm touch pad/screen on the controller.

I got the idea of the names:
Touch my Wii
Wii Touch

Latter sounds better

StevieP

Banned
My penis killed the thread. lol

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712532/what-nintendo-wont-say-about-its-next-console/

What Nintendo Won’t Say About Its Next Console

Poppycock? Not exactly, says oft-quoted (and more right than wrong) analyst Michael Pachter. “They all sound accurate, except for ‘streaming from the TV,’” he says. “I don’t see how that kind of connection works, and think ‘streaming from the Internet’ makes more sense. Perhaps the controller would stream through the console like Netflix, but I don’t really see the point in streaming to the controller if you already have it on the TV.”

Doubtful, says Ormond. “I'm not buying the screen-based controller,” he says. “It just doesn't make any sense. A six-inch screen is huge — an inch less than Blackberry’s debut tablet — and I can't visualize how that would work. Plus, it seems too far removed from motion controls, and I don't really see Nintendo abandoning motion at this point. ”

Is Ormond Deck'ard? And oh, Pachter...

Poyunch

Since it's most likely that Grasshopper won't drop the Wiimote + Nunchuk support for No More Heroes it would be cool to see if they could use the Cafe controller as a hub device. But I wonder how functional it could possibly be. Obviously it could be used for video briefings from Sylvia and whatever but that's all I could think of.

Another example would be the Submerged Castle from Pikmin 2. After a certain amount of time on a floor the Waterwraith would chase after you. You could use the Cafe controller to see the Waterwraith's view and keep the TV screen full. Plus Pikmin probably plays better with a Wiimote anyway.

I know some people and devs might want to ditch the Wiimote and its motion controls as soon as they can but I hope that more devs experiment with this.

HYDE

Banned
Super Nintendo Wii.

I want the console to be designed like the (PAL) Super Nintendo/Super Famicom, and have a slot loader just like the Wii/PS3.

907470Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.jpg

defferoo

why even speculate about the name? I mean, nintendo's last console was called "Wii" of all things. there's no telling what they'll name this one.

.la1n

Willy105 said:
More like Super Wii. The Wii didn't use the Nintendo name, so no reason for the next one too.

If anything drop Wii because it was stupid to begin with and bring back Nintendo into their product names. It's the name we all (some of us) grew up on so why not play off the nostalgia. As someone mentioned earlier just call it Nintendo, better than some stupid new age term they want to convince us is actually cool.

.la1n said:
If anything drop Wii because it was stupid to begin with and bring back Nintendo into their product names. It's the name we all (some of us) grew up on so why not play off the nostalgia. As someone mentioned earlier just call it Nintendo, better than some stupid new age term they want to convince us is actually cool.

That's too big of a risk. If the console ends up failure they end up tainting not just a brand, but their entire outfit.

defferoo said:
why even speculate about the name? I mean, nintendo's last console was called "Wii" of all things. there's no telling what they'll name this one.

This is true. But let's be honest here. Video game manufacturers come up with really strange names for their gaming consoles. Xbox? Xbox 360? What's that? Gamecube? Dreamcast? Playstation makes some sense I guess, but even that name is silly. I admit I have no bright ideas of my own.

But yeah I have no doubt that whatever Nintendo decides to call the next system, it will be strange, we'll all make fun of it, and then in 3 years it'll be as mainstream a word as google.

birdchili said:
playstation, as a contrast to workstation is a great name.

i was never particularly bothered by wii either, mind.

Lots of people were. I remember a lot of internet tough guys being all concerned they'd sound foolish when they went into a store to ask for a Wii game. I think Casamasina also wrote an editorial (or maybe blog post?) about how self conscious he'd feel.

StevieP

Banned
.la1n said:

The Wii name is a global phenomenon. The only people that consider it tainted are message board gaming trolls like us and "hardcore" videogame "journalists" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom