• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
TunaLover said:

my guess is that one would postulate that a studio that has proved itself so capable would be put on projects that would be more financially viable in the market, i.e., not a sequel to a game with sales that were just okay.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mashing said:
I will lose my shit if that ED2 rumor turns out to be true.
Same. Anything from Retro that isn't Donkey Kong has my money. Nothing against the job that they did, but none of the DK games have appealed to me before. ED is one of my favorite games ever.

ReyVGM

I don't know why are you getting exited about a possible Eternal Darkness 2. If Silicon Knights doesn't do it, then it won't be at all what you remember or want.

Let me explain.

The gameplay/control/whatever of Eternal Darkness sucks. It just isn't fun fighting anything in that game. Plus, the whole getting tired and swords clashing with the walls, albeit realistic, doesn't make the game fun.

What is amazing about ED is the atmosphere, the locations, the story, the Poe inspiration/references, the cool (but now tame) insanity effects, the MUSIC and everything else that doesn't have to do with the gameplay or controls.

So if Retro makes Eternal Darkness 2, the only thing that could be improved is the gameplay, but everything else will go out the door because Eternal Darkness is Dennis Dyack's baby and Retro won't be able to match the amazing atmosphere that game had.

The game Retro is making is a new Star Fox. Which is a game people have been asking Nintendo to let Treasure/Retro make one. No one has asked Retro to make a Eternal Darkness 2.

Murrah

Banned
ReyVGM said:
I don't know why are you getting exited about a possible Eternal Darkness 2. If Silicon Knights doesn't do it, then it won't be at all what you remember or want.

Let me explain.

The gameplay/control/whatever of Eternal Darkness sucks. It just isn't fun fighting anything in that game. Plus, the whole getting tired and swords clashing with the walls, albeit realistic, doesn't make the game fun.

What is amazing about ET is the atmosphere, the locations, the story, the Poe inspiration/references, the cool (but now tame) insanity effects, the MUSIC and everything else that doesn't have to do with the gameplay or controls.

So if Retro makes Eternal Darkness 2, the only thing that could be improved is the gameplay, but everything else will go out the door because Eternal Darkness is Dennis Dyack's baby and Retro won't be able to match the amazing atmosphere that game had.

Wat

No but seriously what

Kafel said:
So Take Two will publish games on Cafe. It's not about Rockstar.

From 01net link above
Translated by Google said:
Only certainty, the developers at Rockstar, who have signed including GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption are among the first served in SDK.

Sounds like it's about R* to me.

Krowley

ReyVGM said:

Let me explain.

What is amazing about ET is the atmosphere, the locations, the story, the Poe inspiration/references, the cool (but now tame) insanity effects, the MUSIC and everything else that doesn't have to do with the gameplay or controls.

I think this is basically true, and also, there is no way in hell anybody is going to bother making a sequel for ED as a launch game for a system. Certainly not a company like retro which could be used in a more lucrative way.

IMO, the Eternal Darkness rumor isn't even good enough to be included in the wild rumor section. It's never going to happen. It's been too long, and the IP wasn't a big enough hit to do a revival.

Nintendo may put retro on a survival horror game or something with a similar atmosphere, but it won't be ED.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'd say Eternal Darkness 2 has <1% chance of happening.

And <.1% chance of being Retro.

It's the most fanboy rumour of all of them. To bring that type of game into HD would require a LOT of development and money, and quite frankly its wasted on a franchise that the public don't remember and which wasn't that good in the first place. It's only remembered by anyone because of it being a rare Nintendo 1st/2nd party 'mature' game. At best you could call it 'interesting'.

Investing money to reinvent Metroid is one thing, investing money to polish the turd that was Eternal Darkness would be highly surprising.

Dascu

ReyVGM said:
The gameplay/control/whatever of Eternal Darkness sucks. It just isn't fun fighting anything in that game.
I thought the combat was great. Being able to cut off specific body parts, which had good or bad effects depending on the enemy and what you wanted to achieve, added a nice layer of depth to the combat. Dead Space re-used that concept to great success a generation later.

Pyrokai

I think the sources should be posted in the OP for all the people who enter in disbelief about the online partnering confirmation :p

ElFly

ReyVGM said:

Let me explain.

What is amazing about ED is the atmosphere, the locations, the story, the Poe inspiration/references, the cool (but now tame) insanity effects, the MUSIC and everything else that doesn't have to do with the gameplay or controls.

The game Retro is making is a new Star Fox. Which is a game people have been asking Nintendo to let Treasure/Retro make one. No one has asked Retro to make a Eternal Darkness 2.

The controls were pretty good, a great improvement over resident evil < 4. Of course, they don't make sense in the post RE4 world, but whatevs.

Retro can totally pull off the atmosphere of ED. People said the same things about Metroid.

Now, I think they aren't going to be wasting their time in such an unpopular franchise.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eternal Darkness is one of the worst games I've played. Boggles my mind some people are dying for a sequel.

What it lacked in mechanics, it made up for in theme and spirit. It was genuinely atmospheric and really tried to do things no other game had done before.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Eternal Darkness is one of the worst games I've played. Boggles my mind some people are dying for a sequel.

nostalgia = distortion

people are still begging for a Killer Instinct sequel afterall, and that game sucked in a totality that few games have ever managed to accomplish since.

disappeared said:
What it lacked in mechanics, it made up for in theme and spirit. It was genuinely atmospheric and really tried to do things no other game had done before.
The mechanics were way too shit for me to stick with it for longer than two or three hours. It was torture to play and I found the narrative to be less than compelling, shall we say.

Penumbra/Amnesia does the same psychological thing much better. Eternal Darkness 2 would only pale in comparison to them, even if it was improved mechanically.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I didn't see the stuff about streaming full games to the controller in the OP. Is that just assumed to be a given, now?

ReyVGM

ElFly said:
The controls were pretty good, a great improvement over resident evil < 4. Of course, they don't make sense in the post RE4 world, but whatevs.

It's funny you mention "post RE4" when in fact, RE4 had the exact same control scheme as all the other RE games. It's just that the camera angle was different and thus, people felt the controls were different too.

But...

You still walk by holding Up. You still can't strafe. You still have to stop to shoot. You still have to hold R to attack. You still move like a tank.

ReyVGM said:
I don't know why are you getting exited about a possible Legacy of Kain 2. If Silicon Knights doesn't do it, then it won't be at all what you remember or want.

Let me explain.

The gameplay/control/whatever of Legacy of Kain sucks. It just isn't fun fighting anything in that game. Plus, the whole getting tired and swords clashing with the walls, albeit realistic, doesn't make the game fun.

What is amazing about LOK is the atmosphere, the locations, the story, the Poe inspiration/references, the cool (but now tame) magical effects, the MUSIC and everything else that doesn't have to do with the gameplay or controls.

So if Crystal Dynamics makes Legacy of Kain 2, the only thing that could be improved is the gameplay, but everything else will go out the door because Legacy of Kain is Dennis Dyack's baby and Crystal won't be able to match the amazing atmosphere that game had.

Crystal Dynamics made Legacy of Kain 2 - Soul Reaver, and it became the best selling game in the series, with an endless stream of rave reviews. Crystal Dynamics approach was very different to Silicon Knight's original LOK, but they built on its strength's, expanded its lore in intelligent and imaginative ways, and implemented their technological expertise to fix all the flaws of the original.

Suffice to say, what you are saying is impossible, has already been done.

Foliorum Viridum said:
The mechanics were way too shit for me to stick with it for longer than two or three hours. It was torture to play and I found the narrative to be less than compelling, shall we say.

Penumbra/Amnesia does the same psychological thing much better. Eternal Darkness 2 would only pale in comparison to them, even if it was improved mechanically.

Keep in mind that ED was in development for years and years up to its release in 2002. We've had nine years since then to take what it tried to do, and do it better. Sure, Amnesia did it better, because it came out nearly a decade later. But ED served as a precursor of sorts.

But I'm getting off topic here.

ElFly

ReyVGM said:
It's funny you mention "post RE4" when in fact, RE4 had the exact same control scheme as all the other RE games. It's just that the camera angle was different and thus, people felt the controls were different too.

But...

You still walk by holding Up. You still can't strafe. You still have to stop to shoot. You still have to hold R to attack. You still move like a tank.

The camera makes a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Huge enough to say the controls are different.

ReyVGM

ElFly said:
The camera makes a huuge difference.

Huge enough to say the controls are different.

It does make a huge difference, but the controls are NOT different.

By the way, I'm not hating on RE4. I love RE4. It's the only game from last gen that I played more than 5 times. But I can't be delusional about the controls, because they were exactly the same.

Mama Robotnik said:
Crystal Dynamics made Legacy of Kain 2 - Soul Reaver, and it became the best selling game in the series, with an endless stream of rave reviews. Crystal Dynamics approach was very different to Silicon Knight's original LOK, but they built on its strength's, expanded its lore in intelligent and imaginative ways, and implemented their technological expertise to fix all the flaws of the original.

Suffice to say, what you are saying is impossible, has already been done.

But Legacy of Kain 2 was nothing like the first one! I might have been a good game on its own right, but it was no LoK1.

ReyVGM said:

By the way, I'm not hating on RE4. I love RE4. It's the only game from last gen that I played more than 5 times. But I can't be delusional about the controls, because they were exactly the same.
You're forgetting that you could finally fucking aim in RE4, instead of just down, middle, or up.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
I've compiled just about everything here: Rumor Consolidation 2011

I'm double checking the links to make sure they all still work, but here is the one for Retro making ED2: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/0...ct-cafe-title-is-eternal-darkness-2.html#more
... Zelda Informer is the last place I would go for ZELDA news&Rumors (so is Zelda U. Zelda sites are like Zelda Fans ... avoid them), why would their Retro Rumor from no where be creditable in the slightest?

Plus didn't Retro say they were working on something that people have been wanting them to work on for some time now?

ReyVGM

Black-Wind said:
... Zelda Informer is the last place I would go for ZELDA news&Rumors (so is Zelda U. Zelda sites are like Zelda Fans ... avoid them), why would their Retro Rumor from no where be creditable in the slightest?

Plus didn't Retro say they were working on something that people have been wanting them to work on for some time now?

Yes, Star Fox.

Andoru sama!!

Rygar 8 Bit said:
same power as ps360 is going to put them in the same boat they are in now when MS and Sony release their new systems

That depends on how you look at it.

Developers are now extremely familiar with current gen (PS3/360) tech. Even if, say by 2013 or so, they fall back into a 3rd place running technically, porting or down-porting won't be as big of a deal come the next wave of consoles. Call me crazy, but I don't think the jump from current gen consoles to next gen consoles is going to be as big as it was in previous transitions.

ReyVGM said:
But Legacy of Kain 2 was nothing like the first one! I might have been a good game on its own right, but it was no LoK1.

I'm going to be a bit arrogant now and say I'm one of the biggest LOK fans there is. I single-handedly discovered the cancelled LOK game, I've had Crystal Dynamics post me out exclusive pre-release soundtracks, and wrote the original Nosgothic Realm hacking guides for Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2. On thelostworlds, I am the one credited with discovering the hidden Soul Reaver 2 vampire model buried in the code, enabling the cut posession ability in Soul Reaver, and first activating the Iron Armour in Blood Omen 2. So I'm a bit of an enthusiast, to say the least.

As you may imagine I look very fondly on Silicon Knight's Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain because of its imagination, voice acting, story and atmosphere.

But lets be clear - its flaws are far far worse than Eternal Darkness. Its loading times are completely unforgivable and it should not have been released with them, the music loops endlessly and combat is incredibly repetitive and dull. And that's from someone who adores it.

If a developer like Crystal (at that point more famous for the Gex games) can take the gothic, open world that Silicon Knights made, and make a superior game (with a story that stands tall next to its predecessor), then there is absolutely no reason that a developer as immensely talented as Retro couldn't make a sequel to Eternal Darkness, and make it bloody good.

You were arguing that Retro's potential ED would have none of the qualities of the original because it would not have Dyack's guidance. Crystal Dynamics made a sequel to Dyack's original, which was polished, evolved many of the qualities of the original, was thematically perfect and possibly one of the greatest sequels of all time.

So yes, its not impossible because it has already happened.

ElFly

ReyVGM said:

Whatevs.

Point is, nobody is going to make a shooting game that's not a FP or TP game in 2012, so there's no point in mentioning the controls in ED were bad.

Shiggy

Just stop the ED&Retro Studios nonsense. Why believe this when doubting that Factor 5 worked on Kid Icarus Wii?

It would be much easier to ask SK who have more experience and insights into the ED universe. Especially since SK is still owned by Nintendo...

disappeared said:
Keep in mind that ED was in development for years and years up to its release in 2002. We've had nine years since then to take what it tried to do, and do it better. Sure, Amnesia did it better, because it came out nearly a decade later. But ED served as a precursor of sorts.

But I'm getting off topic here.
My point was that even if ED2 did happen and it was better mechanically, it will never be able to compare to those games anyway. It just seems like a franchise that should be left dead.

ReyVGM said:
Yes, Star Fox.

Andoru sama!!
I think its either a new IP or a zelda Spin Off. People have been wanting them to do something new forever and people have been talking about Retro's Sheik game forever.

OH, and arnt some of the "Creditable" rumors only from kotaku? I don't trust kotaku only stuff either ...

ReyVGM

Mama Robotnik said:
I'm going to be a bit arrogant .

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I didn't mean to say that LoK1 was better than LoK2. I just wanted to say that the two games are nothing alike - in response to the people thinking that ED2 would be what they remember from ED1.

Krowley

Black-Wind said:
OH, and arnt some of the "Creditable" rumors only from kotaku? I don't trust kotaku only stuff either ...

Yes, but most of them come from stephen totilo who apparently has a really good reputation as a game journalist. I can't speak for him personally, but a lot of people on the board piped up to give him props, even those who don't like Kotaku.

ReyVGM

Krowley said:
Yes, but most of them come from stephen totilo who apparently has a really good reputation as a game journalist. I can't speak for him personally, but a lot of people on the board piped up to give him props, even those who don't like Kotaku.

Yeah, Totilo is aces.

Darryl

Banned
Black-Wind said:
I think its either a new IP or a zelda Spin Off. People have been wanting them to do something new forever and people have been talking about Retro's Sheik game forever.

Mother 4. They've kept the IP in orbit long enough. Something has to come out of that soon.

DKCR would make the most sense for them, though. They've already spent so much time building that game, it would make sense for them to just remake and re-polish it into a Cafe game. Would give it a nice launch title, too.

Krowley said:
Oh, ok.

Then I fall back to my "WTF is Zelda Informer Rumors doing on this list?!?" Stance.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Eternal Darkness was a great game. Of course I happen to be a huge fan of Dyack and Silicon Knights thanks to the holy grail that is Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. ED featured a story that was much more open-ended that could easily be handled by Retro Studios. I think Retro Studios and Tanabe would do a fantastic job on the game. It may not be the highest grossing intellectual property, but it may be an intellectual property Nintendo needs near launch to feature a much more balanced catalogue of software.

But the rumor source, sounded very unreliable to me. A friend of a friend in the industry?

Retro Studios "Sheik" spinoff is as fabled as "Miyamoto's new IP". Urban Nintendo legends.

watershed

Banned
So basically someone made a new thread because the last one got overrun by endless talk of imagined sequels and 2 pages in we are already discussing DKCR 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom