• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Cafe Rumor Cafe [Weinerpoop Post 7513]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but IMO, the most likely things for the retro rumor (the one where it was said they were working on something everybody had been wanting them to do) are:

1. A "Halo killer" new IP FPS game.
2. Another Metroid Game
3. Kid Icarus (fan rumors for years associated with factor 5 and with Retro at different times)
4. That action RPG game they abandoned way back in the GC days.

All of these have been actively sought by subsets of fans at different times.

edit// add Zelda to the list because it has been asked for by fans, even though I think it is pretty unlikely.

Shiggy

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Retro Studios "Sheik" spinoff is as fabled as "Miyamoto's new IP". Urban Nintendo legends.

Why "fabled"? Rather a cancelled prototype/pitch that was left in the bin when the Armature people were asked to leave?

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
I mentioned it in one of the other threads, but IMO, the most likely things for the retro rumor (the one where it was said they were working on something everybody had been wanting them to do) are:

2. Another Metroid Game
3. Kid Icarus (fan rumors for years associated with factor 5 and with Retro at different times)
It ain't gonna be kid icarus, Sakurai's aint even gonna be out by the end of the year at best. It would be wierd to get 2 reimaginings/revivals of the same IP one right after another.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Shiggy said:
Why "fabled"? Rather a cancelled prototype/pitch that was left in the bin when the Armature people were asked to leave?

Meaning that it is being mentioned as if it ever hit any significant milestone and still exists. It seemed more like a pitch, which prototype teams do all the time. I'm sure Nintendo could give us an insane list!

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
It ain't gonna be kid icarus, Sakurai's aint even gonna be out by the end of the year at best. It would be wierd to get 2 reimaginings/revivals of the same IP one right after another.

I agree that it is unlikely, but it does fit the rumor to a certain extent. Certainly much more likely than ED anyway.

jacksrb

Nice OP, but I think the one about the IR sensors could be removed.

I think there was a 01net story that said that was a mistranslation and that the correct story was that the console would support a sensor bar or similar for Wii remotes or the like.

Darryl

Banned
Krowley said:

2. Another Metroid Game

I can't see them doing 2 until a little bit into it's console life. We've been having plenty of Metroid games lately, 2 per console since Gamecube. I'm sure they've already started on one, but I doubt we'll see it so early in the cycle.

3 isn't going to happen until they see how popular the 3ds version gets. There's no telling how interested people are going to be in the series yet. It might be immensely popular and get rave reviews, or it might get shoved off.

1 or 4 seem possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they took 1 + 2 together and worked out a Metroid game with online multiplayer FPS roots.

JazzmanZ

Krowley said:

2. Another Metroid Game

as far as I know Retro is done with the Metroid series right now and kid icarus is already being developed my Sakurai.

Also I'm pretty sure everyone wants a DKCR sequel considering how fantastic and great the first one was, I'd love to see what they could come up with in a carnival or Snow theme levels.

watershed

Banned
Krowley said:
I agree that it is unlikely, but it does fit the rumor to a certain extent. Certainly much more likely than ED anyway.
Well I agree ED 2 ain't gonna happen. I think Star Fox, HD Metroid, F-Zero or a new IP are the most likely choices. Maybe, just maybe an HD Zelda (my wishful thinking), but if so we wouldn't see or hear about it at this year's E3 so that's probably not happening.

Danielsan

An Eternal Darkness sequel by Retro would be better than anything Silicon Knights could ever dream to produce.

*Note. I didn't think Eternal Darkness was very good. It had potential though.

Red UFO

My perfect Retro game would be Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, based off a Diddy's Kong Quest style-atmosphere, with kremlins.

I could also see them doing a survival horror or an RPG.

That team is a set of god damn genius'.

Strive said:
Not too long ago: "Nintendo is not going to launch a $250 handheld in a recession."

Thats working wonders for them isnt it? Flying off shelves....

Launching over 299 would be pure idiocy, on the level of giant crabs and 599.

Also, it's been ten years since Luigis Mansion, Wario World, Wave Race, NBA courtside, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures among others.

10 fucking years, and no new entries in these series?

Nintendo needs to stop being so fucking lazy and make their studios actually program a damn game.

Giving us marginally improved ports of 15 year old games is complete BS. Giving us 1/6 of wii sports resort and calling it pilotwings was a major insult. Having a 6 year old demo and a marginally improved update of a pet sim as killer apps just doesnt fly.

WTF happened to Nintendo?

I demand to be impressed at E3.

ReyVGM

Red UFO said:
My perfect Retro game would be Donkey Kong Country Returns 2, based off a Diddy's Kong Quest style-atmosphere, with kremlins.

Yes yes! A million times yes! With David Wise composing the music.

JazzmanZ

jamesinclair said:
Also, it's been ten years since Luigis Mansion, Wario World, Wave Race, NBA courtside, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures among others.

We got Wario land shake it in 2008 and Starfox command in 2006.

ReyVGM

jamesinclair said:
Thats working wonders for them isnt it? Flying off shelves....

The system sold almost 4 million units in less than 2 months. And that's in the middle of an Earthquake crisis. I wouldn't call that a failure if I were you.

Also, the DS didn't fly off the shelves either at first. It was when titles like Nintendogs and Brain Age came out that the system started selling like crazy.

Krowley

JazzmanZ said:
as far as I know Retro is done with the Metroid series right now and kid icarus is already being developed my Sakurai.

Also I'm pretty sure everyone wants a DKCR sequel considering how fantastic and great the first one was, I'd love to see what they could come up with in a carnival or Snow theme levels.

With retro's graphics capability and experience working on sci-fi titles, I think they would want to exploit their talents on a more mature oriented franchise for the launch of their HD console... And when I say that, I mean including things like Zelda/kid icarus... But definitely not mario or donkey kong.

I would be shocked if nintendo used retro to make a donkey kong game for a launch window cafe project. They have a lot of experiences from making the metroid titles that make them one of the best Nintendo developer candidates for the creation of western oriented hardcore titles.

I'm hoping the console is $350-400. If its $300 than the tech is probably $200. Let it be $350-400 so at least its technologically more impressive than what we currently have.

Dystify

ReyVGM said:
The system sold almost 4 million units in less than 2 months. And that's in the middle of an Earthquake crisis. I wouldn't call that a failure if I were you.

Also, the DS didn't fly off the shelves either at first. It was when titles like Nintendogs and Brain Age came out that the system started selling like crazy.
Also;

Expecting DS kind of sales might seem unreasonable in the current market.

The 3DS will eventually take off though, once there are actually more games to buy.

Krowley

artwalknoon said:
Well I agree ED 2 ain't gonna happen. I think Star Fox, HD Metroid, F-Zero or a new IP are the most likely choices. Maybe, just maybe an HD Zelda (my wishful thinking), but if so we wouldn't see or hear about it at this year's E3 so that's probably not happening.

Yeah I went ahead and added zelda to the post because it could make some sense with the rumor. It's probably more likely than kid icarus tbh.

No hard-drive isn't a big deal. The X-Box360 Arcade did pretty well for itself. Also I'm sure Nintendo will put in a harddrive with the Cafe revision

Amir0x

Banned
God it's such a shame there's are gamers who are so willing to bend over and make excuses for any failings that no HDD in 2012 is considered "no big deal."

It's a massive deal - not just size limitations, but the write/read spead is massively slower once we have to use SD cards to shuttle shit around. I fill up 8GB on my Xbox 360 in a weekend. Shuttling around shit using SD cards is going to make the whole process painful garbage and instantly make their download service irrelevant versus their competitors.

A true shame. I hope it's a false rumour

Shiggy

Shikamaru Ninja said:
Meaning that it is being mentioned as if it ever hit any significant milestone and still exists. It seemed more like a pitch, which prototype teams do all the time. I'm sure Nintendo could give us an insane list!

Pretty true.

Haptics & Vitality Sensor built into controller
Why is everyone doubting that this could happen? First title to be released is Ubisoft's Innergy :D

ReyVGM

I really don't see Nintendo including a Hard Drive with the system. I do see them, however, allowing support for an external one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amir0x said:
God it's such a shame there's are gamers who are so willing to bend over and make excuses for any failings that no HDD in 2012 is considered "no big deal."

It's a massive deal - not just size limitations, but the write/read spead is massively slower once we have to use SD cards to shuttle shit around. I fill up 8GB on my Xbox 360 in a weekend. Shuttling around shit using SD cards is going to make the whole process painful garbage and instantly make their download service irrelevant versus their competitors.

I hope it's false as well but in regards to the bold statement above, I'd venture a guess that a vast majority of people who own a console couldn't do that.

Amir0x said:

Agreed. In 2005 it was bad enough (considering the Xbox had a HDD in 2001). In 2012? Give me a break. Its downright pathetic. If Nintendo wants to become a leader in online, mulitiplayer, and have 3rd parties port/ create games for Stream, they NEED to make DLC capabilities universal. I shouldn't have to go out and purchase a memory card after picking up the system itself. And 8 gigs? Seriously?

Amir0x said:

It doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to go HDD-less. That's why I expect the system to only come with flash memory.

Amir0x said:

I'm pretty sure that that was just supposition. It was Stephen Tolito's rumor - stating that it had 8gb of flash and no hard drive. I asked Tolito about it, and he had heard neither negative or positive on whether it was capable of using a hard drive. As far as I'm concerned, this means that the base (and possibly only) SKU won't include a hard drive, but there's nothing to prevent a hard drive from being an optional (well, not for the NeoGAF audience) accessory.

What form that would take would be anyone's guess. Could be PS3 style slot in whatever laptop drive you have sitting around, or MS style laptop drives with proprietary firmware in proprietary cases, or somewhere in between.

Until someone *at* Nintendo confirms that there will be no hard drive whatsoever, logic and the condition of the market that they're making motions about wanting to enter say that they will have hard drive capability.

Amir0x

Banned
Shiggy said:
Pretty true.

Why is everyone doubting that this could happen? First title to be released is Ubisoft's Innergy :D

Because a Haptic Touchscreen the type everybody wants will not be commercially feasible yet. It would make the controller stupidly expensive.

Still, I'd like it. haptic touchscreen is one gimmick I would support.

[Nintex]

jamesinclair said:

10 fucking years, and no new entries in these series?
Sing with me
Luigi's Mansion was a launch game that bombed and Konno had to do a Double Dash.
Treasure was responsible for Wario World but made Sin & Punishment 2 for Wii instead
and just like you missed Sin & Punishment 2 you missed Wario Land: Shake.
NBA Courtside was developed by Leftfield and they left Nintendo in 2002.
Eternal Darkness was made by Dyack who wasn't happy with the Wii
and went to Microsoft to get money for free.
Peter Moore had some hats left and send them Dyacks' way,
only to find out that Too Human was shit or so they say.
StarFox: Adventures was made by Rare,
who would whore themselves if they could go back to how they were.

TAS

Why is there such a reluctance to believe that Cafe will be notably more powerful than the current generation systems? Is it fanboy denial gone haywire? Multiple sources have reported that it will be and everything we have heard so far points to exactly that. Some people need to wake up and realize that Nintendo is not going the ultra conservative route ala Wii this time. And before some people dismiss this as a pipe dream, if we take a little trip down memory lane (when most of these doubters were probably still in diapers) we can see how systems like the SNES, N64 and even GCN were high performance systems for their time. Nothing new here folks.

Krowley said:
Yeah I went ahead and added zelda to the post because it could make some sense with the rumor. It's probably more likely than kid icarus tbh.
Its far more likely than KI regardless of how unlikely Zelda may be :p
If anyone is doing a HD console KI game its likely gonna be Sakurai (seeing as he wants to do some kind of HD title) ... like some years after KI 3DS comes out.

My wish is for high action (GoW/ Bayonetta level) Sheik game. There, it would count as an original IP (I'm guessing it would be a different Sheik or something all through it comes from Zelda ... like Wario or Yoshi to Mario), have something to offer thats never come from Nintendo and also have the Western loved "Zelda Brand" to rely on for sells.

Hope my wish comes true ... but I do have a feeling that it wont be DKCR2. I would hate for them to become just the "DK guys" because of DKCR.

JazzmanZ

I don't understand why nobody would want a DKCR sequel here, they made a fantastic platformer, and i'd love to see what else they could come up with.

Amir0x

Banned
JazzmanZ said:
I don't understand why nobody would want a DKCR sequel here, they made a fantastic platformer, and i'd love to see what else they could come up with.

well not everybody likes DKCR, for one. I don't. I don't want to see them waste their talent.

But even those who do like it might not want to see them forced to franchise whore again. Retro is so talented it'd be nice to see them come up with something original and blessedly unrestrained by franchise expectations.

TAS said:
Why is there such a reluctance to believe that Cafe will be notably more powerful than the current generation systems? Is it fanboy denial gone haywire? Multiple sources have reported that it will be and everything we have heard so far points to exactly that. Some people need to wake up and realize that Nintendo is not going the ultra conservative route ala Wii this time. And before some people dismiss this as a pipe dream, if we take a little trip down memory lane (when most of these doubters were probably still in diapers) we can see how systems like the SNES, N64 and even GCN were high performance systems for their time. Nothing new here folks.

Everybody knows it's going to be "more" powerful than PS360, the question is "how much more?" It is most definitely NOT set in stone that it'd be much more powerful, as we've had conflicting rumours and more rumours have said it'd be "slightly" more powerful than the other way around.

Nintendo is always looking for a way to cheap out so I definitely believe it won't be significantly more powerful than PS360. Don't get me wrong, it'll be able to run the greatest version of all multiplatform games (which is all Nintendo is aiming for), but when PS4 and Xbox 720 come out it's not going to be in the same galaxy as those I assume.

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:

SDXC, Ami. Those aren't slow and come in sizes as big as HDDs. They're expensive now, but will go down in price as other flash media does. And if people want to cheap out and get slower SD/SDHC media they're welcome to as well. A 16GB SDHC is dirt cheap, for instance, and will provide most gamers what they need. That's not a "defense" as much as it's trying to think how Nintendo would do it, based on their past inclinations.

Giving us 1/6 of wii sports resort and calling it pilotwings was a major insult.
Do you even remember the original Pilotwings, and how long it was?

WTF happened to Nintendo?
To be fair, if they released a killer app into retail and didn't pack it in like wii sports, third parties would complain that they can't sell games on a Nintendo platform.

when PS4 and Xbox 720 come out it's not going to be in the same galaxy as those I assume.

Taking the tech argument into the equation, a <200W box released in 2013 isn't going to be significantly more powerful than a <200w box in the same TDP range released in 2012. The advancements in GPUs, for instance, has come from drastically increasing power draw and size, neither of which you have the luxury of in a <200w environment. Based on roadmaps from Nvidia/AMD/etc - 2014 probably won't be the year for the "magic GPU that draws 100w and is better than a 400w part", either.

Opiate

Plinko said:
I hope it's false as well but in regards to the bold statement above, I'd venture a guess that a vast majority of people who own a console couldn't do that.

Add in MMOs, and see how vast that majority is.

Or we could not add in MMOs for Nintendo, but add them in for Sony/MS, and see how Nintendo does in another generation where specific, popular genres and games miss their console because of technical limitations rather than any lack of supply or demand.

Amir0x

Banned
StevieP said:
SDXC, Ami. Those aren't slow and come in sizes as big as HDDs. They're expensive now, but will go down in price as other flash media does. And if people want to cheap out and get slower SD/SDHC media they're welcome to as well. A 16GB SDHC is dirt cheap, for instance, and will provide most gamers what they need. That's not a "defense" as much as it's trying to think how Nintendo would do it, based on their past inclinations.

Why go for the inferior method and then pretend like it doesn't matter? You say it's not a defense but that's all it ends up being - trying to give Nintendo another out for being the embarrassing dinosaur they always are.

I just hope it's wrong. It's a Kotaku rumour so fuck those guys anyway. They are wrong 80% of the time. No offense, totillo.

JazzmanZ said:
I would too. The game is beautiful and with more power under the hood, Retro could make a really spectacular looking sequel. Oh and Kremlings this time please.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Opiate said:
Add in MMOs, and see how vast that majority is.

Or we could not add in MMOs for Nintendo, but add them in for Sony/MS, and see how Nintendo does in another generation where specific, popular genres and games miss their console because of technical limitations rather than any lack of supply or demand.

MMO's on consoles aren't huge yet. In the future, maybe.

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:
Why go for the inferior method and then pretend like it doesn't matter? You say it's not a defense but that's all it ends up being - trying to give Nintendo another out for being the embarrassing dinosaur they always are.

I just hope it's wrong. It's a Kotaku rumour so fuck those guys anyway. They are wrong 80% of the time. No offense, totillo.

You're right. Cost for speed are better on most HDDs. But HDDs are inferior in some ways as well. Especially in the field of HDD reliability (it's a moving part/head where flash is just a chip) and part cost maintaining a similar level throughout the years, and getting pricier for lower capacity as years go on - neither of which Nintendo likes to play with. Flash media just seems to make more sense from Nintendo's (let's call it) "unique" perspective. Love it or hate it sometimes they operate in strange ways. For all you know they could open up the USB ports if their OS is secure enough.

Oh and Kremlings this time please.
Ew, no thank you. Keep that Rare mess out of the game. One of their worst "artistic" creations.

Opiate

I really think the experiences of Team Meat should provide a lesson for Nintendo fans here.

Team Meat went to Nintendo first. They expressed clear and unmistakable admiration for Nintendo's accomplishments. They clearly wanted to bring Super Meat Boy to Wii Ware.

But the technical limitations (in this case, size restrictions) were such that the game eventually moved off the platform completely. Not because Team Meat didn't want it there (they clearly did), not because consumers wouldn't buy it (Platformers do particularly well on the Wii), but because it simply wasn't technically feasible. Supply and demand were both there and yet Nintendo still lost out.

If you're wondering why Amirox is making a big deal out of this, Super Meat Boy is a great example. If you can't imagine 8 GBs of data being used rapidly by next generation games, then you aren't using your imagination.

Amir0x

Banned
StevieP said:
You're right. But HDDs are inferior in some ways as well. Especially in the field of HDD reliability (it's a moving part/head where flash is just a chip) and part cost maintaining a similar level throughout the years, and getting pricier for lower capacity as years go on - neither of which Nintendo likes to play with. Flash media just seems to make more sense from Nintendo's (let's call it) "unique" perspective. Love it or hate it sometimes they operate in strange ways. For all you know they could open up the USB ports if their OS is secure enough.

Ew, no thank you. Keep that Rare mess out of the game. One of their worst "artistic" creations.

I mean, I don't mind they having the option for SD cards. More options is good. Or even if they have an additional built-in flash memory for core applications or some shit. But 8GB Flash Memory is not sustainable in this day and age... we'd be shuttling shit around in the space of a month. Then like Wii, I'd just stop buying stuff. And many others would too. And I know Nintendo doesn't want another dead online platform.

You say HDD reliability is a problem but I still have a working HDD from my Packard Bell 166 so I'm not too concerned :p

TAS said:

Great post. I agree with you wholeheartedly. I expect Cafe to significantly outperform the 360/PS3 in the graphics department, at the very least. It won't be hard to build a relatively low-cost, cool, efficient machine in 2011-2012 that outperforms 2004-2005 tech.

StevieP

Banned
Amir0x said:
I mean, I don't mind they having the option for SD cards. More options is good. Or even if they have an additional built-in flash memory for core applications or some shit. But 8GB Flash Memory is not sustainable in this day and age... we'd be shuttling shit around in the space of a month.

You say HDD reliability is a problem but I still have a working HDD from my Packard Bell 166 so I'm not too concerned :p

I have 120mb HDs that still power up and work. I also have 2TB drives with the click of death. It's a bit of a crapshoot. Extremely cheap flash media, like the one in our 2GB $3 Walmart flash drives, has a reliability issue as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom