• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Wow, looks like someone is not friends with compression tools xD
To calculate the prebaked lighting data Turn10 has an extra room full with computers linked together to make something like a supercomputer, the tracks with lighting data take up a lot of space. RaceRoom is also like 3 times the size of pCARS1 probably to some degree because of this.

Then again, FH3 has dynamic lighting and is also a huge install.

fresquito

To calculate the prebaked lighting data Turn10 has an extra room full with computers linked together to make something like a supercomputer, the tracks with lighting data take up a lot of space. RaceRoom is also like 3 times the size of pCARS1 probably to some degree because of this.

Then again, FH3 has dynamic lighting and is also a huge install.
Super interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Mascot

The fact that they said much higher frame rates rather than locked frame rates is concerning.
Ian Bell said recently on GTP that console versions of pcars 2 are 1080p/60 already with a few bits of slowdown in very stressful areas that are being worked on to optimise. And this is with an identical feature set to the PC version (LiveTrack 3.0, seasons etc). Performance surpasses Pcars 1 even though a lot more is going on.

benzy

AC Unity is also dynamic lighting with ToD during gameplay.

There were no actual dynamic Time of Day transitions in ACU. There were different weather types that changed the look but Unity used a lot of baked lighting data which took up a lot of storage space, and is the reason why it looks better than AC:Syndicate

Notice the environment shadow cast never move when the sunlight is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyXB1pSRdE

There were no actual dynamic Time of Day transitions in ACU. There were different weather types that changed the look but Unity used a lot of baked lighting data which took up a lot of storage space, and is the reason why it looks better than AC:Syndicate

Notice the environment shadow cast never move when the sunlight is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyXB1pSRdE

Wow, I was just regurgitating what another gaffer said. Never played ACU, just Syndicate, which definitely was dynamic (as you said as well).

fresquito

Heh, John really flew out in that corner we were talking about (at 5:31).
Yeah, I noticed as well. It's not an easy turn if you don't know what's coming.

Do we have any console gamepad impressions?
From the YT comments:
racer77cowF
did you play with a controller?
Inside Sim Racing
Quickly did. Drove well considering it's a controller and I'm terrible on them.

I bet they are going to charge an arm & a leg for that wheel.

$650, pretty sure. The TS-PC is $500, minus the cheap rim, but plus the sparco rim (original width is 33cm, costs $250, Thrustmaster model is 31cm), plus a mass produced discount, plus wheel-eletronics and pedal shifters... $650.

But 31cm is larger than any other Thrustmaster wheel and it looks thicker and weightier too. Too much angular mass and a longer lever => its FFB is not gonna feel as good as the 599xx. That sparco add-on wheel needs a stronger wheelbase. Of course I could be wrong, maybe it's really lightweight and that 1cm mire is not much. Then again, my T500 would ideally should be stronger on the max force already(not comparing the fidelity, there my T500 doesn't stand a chance even against the TX just peak constant force at stall) and that has a 65W motor against the 45W motor of the TS-PC.

i wonder how many people have a financial interest in this game being a commercial success. i know the first game was open to everyone and hundreds if not thousands of people shared profits but this time the entrance was bumped up to $50,000+

did the devs talk about it at all?

GHG

i wonder how many people have a financial interest in this game being a commercial success. i know the first game was open to everyone and hundreds if not thousands of people shared profits but this time the entrance was bumped up to $50,000+

You don't get any profits from being a backer for the second game.

For those of us who opted in to the second game it enabled us to have a say on features for the game and to be able to play the game as it develops while giving feedback.

If that's a concern of yours, don't preorder the game and only purchase it after the reviews are out.

You don't get any profits from being a backer for the second game.

For those of us who opted in to the second game it enabled us to have a say on features for the game and to be able to play the game as it develops while giving feedback.

If that's a concern of yours, don't preorder the game and only purchase it after the reviews are out.

Ian Bell
pCARS 2 announcement discussion (From We Did It!)
A very short update for now as I'm jet-lagged to hell and back but the good news is that we will be continuing the WMD setup for pCARS2.

We will open new forum sections when the game (pCARS1) ships to support the new users and you WMD experts will all have access and we'd greatly appreciate your assistance advising new users.

I'll be implementing a new non-profit return form of WMD for pCARS2 (to avoid the FSA hassle) and will set a purchase time limit of 2-3 months for those who want to take part. Following this, involvement will be closed. The tiers won't have the higher cost options that we currently have (probably capped at 100 pounds with excellent benefits) and those who want to approach me personally to invest in the new game can do so providing it's at or above 50k.

so you're telling me the people that contacted them personally aren't getting a cut of the profits?

GHG

so you're telling me the people that contacted them personally aren't getting a cut of the profits?

Have you seen where you're posting? In all seriousness, I don't think there are many people here with that kind of money laying around to invest in a bloody videogame.

Even outside of this forum, I can't imagine there would be more than a handful of people out there who would be willing to invest that sort of money into something like this. If I'm investing 50k into something a videogame is far down my list of priorities.

So on that basis, it's a bit of a silly concern to have.

$650, pretty sure. The TS-PC is $500, minus the cheap rim, but plus the sparco rim (original width is 33cm, costs $250, Thrustmaster model is 31cm), plus a mass produced discount, plus wheel-eletronics and pedal shifters... $650.

But 31cm is larger than any other Thrustmaster wheel and it looks thicker and weightier too. Too much angular mass and a longer lever => its FFB is not gonna feel as good as the 599xx. That sparco add-on wheel needs a stronger wheelbase. Of course I could be wrong, maybe it's really lightweight and that 1cm mire is not much. Then again, my T500 would ideally should be stronger on the max force already(not comparing the fidelity, there my T500 doesn't stand a chance even against the TX just peak constant force at stall) and that has a 65W motor against the 45W motor of the TS-PC.

If I was spending $500 (I am clubsport v2.5) I dont think I would be ok with all that plastic.

fresquito

I wonder how big is the integrity of those with such concerns.

Project CARS 2 E3 2017 Driving Physics Impressions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgi4aadWN6s

Oh man. Love hearing the good impressions from ISR. Getting excited now for the September release. Sounds like Slightly Mad has taken a lot of the feedback to heart and is going to make a hell of a game.

The hype has me ordering a few things to upgrade my racing rig. Right now, I'm rocking a G29, Playseat Challange and a Rift. Going to add the shifter and attach some tranducers to the seat for some rumble. Should be a fun project and I have plenty of time to get it done.

Mascot

That generally looks great but I can't quite put my finger on it - something looks a little 'off' in that video.

It might be the perfectly consistent density of the fog perhaps? I'm sure I've seen pCARS 2 footage with variable volumetrics (pockets of mist with different densities, misty squally rain blowing across the track etc) so maybe that is it. I know it's not the case here but my initial impressions from this video was that the fog was there as the age-old trick to hide pop-in on the horizon, a permanent 'cloud' that remains a set distance from your view at all times. I never got the impression that I was travelling *through* the fog. It felt more like I was chasing after it (but never catching it) if that makes sense?

Maybe it would look more convincing if there were pockets where the fog clears (or thins out, at least) and there were brief glimpses of blue skies before being plunged back into denser murk (eg at higher points on the track before dropping back into low-lying areas where mist and fog generally accumulates). It's all a bit uniform, a bit consistent at the moment. Variable fog density and the subsequent changing light levels would help this footage burst into life, I think.

Yeah I know - WIP and all that. But the clock is ticking. pCARS 2 is a beautiful game so maybe I'm nitpicking here.

Azzawon

The feedback I've been hearing about pCARS 2 gives me really high hopes for the game. I was skeptical after pCARS 1 (even though I'm in early access for pCARS 2, go figure), but the amount of positive stuff coming out of E3 is great.

Now I just wish my PC could actually run the early access builds...

ValfarHL

The feedback I've been hearing about pCARS 2 gives me really high hopes for the game. I was skeptical after pCARS 1 (even though I'm in early access for pCARS 2, go figure), but the amount of positive stuff coming out of E3 is great.

Now I just wish my PC could actually run the early access builds...

I can test them out on my PC if you like :D

Mascot

Know what? I'd be perfectly happy with pcars 2 running at sub-4k on PS Pro if, if, IF it was bollock-solid 60fps with zero tearing.

Gestault

From the interview said:
Yes, Project CARS 2 will run 4K / 60 natively on Xbox One X. [...] We are not ready to define the exact resolution on PlayStation 4 Pro yet.

Know what? I'd be perfectly happy with pcars 2 running at sub-4k on PS Pro if, if, IF it was bollock-solid 60fps with zero tearing.

If anything, I take the statement as encouraging, because I think it would be easy enough for the sake of PR to just say the Pro version will have [whatever], but this indicates there's still efforts behind the scenes to decide how it should scale for target performance.

Colbert

Banned

resolution on ps4 pro will depend on how high they can go without sacrifice the frame rate.

whispers xbox one x still have some head room, do not know if true

Mascot

If anything, I take the statement as encouraging, because I think it would be easy enough for the sake of PR to just say the Pro version will have [whatever], but this indicates there's still efforts behind the scenes to decide how it should scale for target performance.

resolution on ps4 pro will depend on how high they can go without sacrifice the frame rate.

whispers xbox one x still have some head room, do not know if true
I really, really hope SMS are prioritising Turn 10 levels of unflinching performance with the frame rate. Dips and stutters in racing games are like little people standing on your nose and kicking your eyes in the balls.

Top Bottom