• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS 2 discussion thread (provisional release date: Septemberish 2017)

Mascot

A video from one of the other R3E beta testers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8ZnQ1cIQ8 and his full video list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_fmtBo2HzjA0p4sgNVJZdRPCW2KxNLAg

I don't know the in-game specs apart from 1440P res he used however what is shown at COTA was utilising just 60% of the GPU (a single GTX 1080) which should mean decent optimisation. He stated 'if you liked pCARS 1 then you'll very much enjoy pCARS 2'.

Is it me or did the wet windscreen 'rain and wiper' effects look better in pCARS 1..?

MaLDo

Is it me or did the wet windscreen 'rain and wiper' effects look better in pCARS 1..?

And I'm having a hard time trying to see car reflections. I mean, in pCARS 1 we can even see rear lights reflections over shiny dry road and in pCARS 2 are not visible even in rainy conditions.

thuGG_pl

So I have a probably silly/dumb question for people that use wheels, one foot for pedals, or left on break and right on gas?

Depends if you use shifter and clutch ;)
Normally without clutch I use left foot braking.
When using shifter, left for clutch right for brake and throttle with heel&toe.

So I have a probably silly/dumb question for people that use wheels, one foot for pedals, or left on break and right on gas?

I have a shifter and clutch and fear that I might get used to left-foot-braking toooo much and accidentally practice it in real life (especially when I'm currently using public transportation more often and my sim-driving time is higher than my irl driving time), so I avoid left-foot braking.

But hey, Walter Röhrl even made it to Group B rally champion in a RWD car before he forced himself to learn left-foot braking when the switch to an AWD Audi made this technique absolutely necessary.

terrible

Banned
Proof is in the pudding, we'll know for sure when we get the final game but based on what I've experienced, massive steps have been made.

Even with the input lag it's pretty clear in your video that it's been improved a ton. Without a ton of tweaking and incredible amounts of precise joystick control you're in a tankslapper pretty much 24/7 in the first game with any of the faster cars.

Mascot

I feel like I started something ugly here and then ran away. I actually enjoy COTA a lot now. Hope you can follow my steps.

I'm not a huge fan of slow tracks with lots of sharp turns one after the other. I prefer fast, flowing tracks with long straights for overtaking like Spa, RA and Silverstone. It's probably unlikely I'll ever warm to COTA unless it's in the slower cars.

In other news:

Race Engineer preview

I don't know what I was expecting from the race engineer but it wasn't just a suggestion to change basic settings by one degree and test again. Maybe there's more to it than this video suggests?

I was hoping the engineer would analyse a few test laps and suggest more detailed settings, like 'you are running out of drive on the long straight, adjust your final gear ratio thus' or 'you are losing grip on corner entry, try X setting to parameter Y' with detailed explanations as to why he/she is suggesting it.

I don't know, the video makes it look a little... generic after all the talk about a race engineer..? Still, better than nothing I suppose, and I might be wrong about the level of help offered from this short video.

danowat

Banned
I'm not a huge fan of slow tracks with lots of sharp turns one after the other. I prefer fast, flowing tracks with long straights for overtaking like Spa, RA and Silverstone. It's probably unlikely I'll ever warm to COTA unless it's in the slower cars.

In other news:

Race Engineer preview

I don't know what I was expecting from the race engineer but it wasn't just a suggestion to change basic settings by one degree and test again. Maybe there's more to it than this video suggests?

I was hoping the engineer would analyse a few test laps and suggest more detailed settings, like 'you are running out of drive on the long straight, adjust your final gear ratio thus' or 'you are losing grip on corner entry, try X setting to parameter Y' with detailed explanations as to why he/she is suggesting it.

I don't know, the video makes it look a little... generic after all the talk about a race engineer..? Still, better than nothing I suppose, and I might be wrong about the level of help offered from this short video.

Pretty much as I expected it to be, other games have had the same system in the past (did Shift?), and I guess it helps those that don't know, or don't fancy googling, on what to adjust in the setup to make changes.

Given just how much pCars became CPU limited when rain effects & reflections were at max quality, it wouldn't surprise me if they've reduced the quality of wet weather & reflections.

..It's not as if there's been any big uplift in available CPU power since pCars was released either.

Mascot

Pretty much as I expected it to be, other games have had the same system in the past (did Shift?), and I guess it helps those that don't know, or don't fancy googling, on what to adjust in the setup to make changes.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was expecting really, but they seemed to be promoting it as a Big Thing so I think I was expecting something a bit more comprehensive that what was shown. No biggie.

TJP

In other news:

Race Engineer preview

Looks a lot like the engineer from the WSBK & MotoGP series from Milestone.. exactly the same to be honest.

Given just how much pCars became CPU limited when rain effects & reflections were at max quality, it wouldn't surprise me if they've reduced the quality of wet weather & reflections.

..It's not as if there's been any big uplift in available CPU power since pCars was released either.
This.

Reflections in puddles looks great for wanky screenshots but does SFA for gameplay. The Candyland YT clip released at pCARS launch highlighted various graphical settings which added nice graphical additions that could be turned down or off for a huge boost to the frame rate for zero loss in immersion unless the car was at a standstill...world reflections in glass & reflections in puddles being two areas that spring to mind.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
The race engineer looks handy. The flow chart/trouble shooting nature of it is far more intuitive than picking random aspects of a car and reading through a wall of text to see if it applies to a problem and what changes should be made to rectify it. I may finally cable in tuning

Mascot

Reflections in puddles looks great for wanky screenshots but does SFA for gameplay. The Candyland YT clip released at pCARS launch highlighted various graphical settings which added nice graphical additions that could be turned down or off for a huge boost to the frame rate for zero loss in immersion unless the car was at a standstill...world reflections in glass & reflections in puddles being two areas that spring to mind.

I dunno... seeing the whole car reflected in a puddle generates damp tremblings in my unmentionables.

I really hope they have fixed some of the super violent wheel errors from pCars 1. Where you hit the wall and the wheel spazzes out until you hit the start button. I just had one instance where I restarted the race and it was violently thrashing as the next race started.

Anyone who is playing that can check this?

fresquito

I really hope they have fixed some of the super violent wheel errors from pCars 1. Where you hit the wall and the wheel spazzes out until you hit the start button. I just had one instance where I restarted the race and it was violently thrashing as the next race started.

Anyone who is playing that can check this?
I haven't had any wheel problem so far (150+ hours in).

Bobnob

I haven't had any wheel problem so far (150+ hours in).
1 or 2
I've had plenty, plus everytime i have a go the force feedback feels different in the same car. It ranges from me thinking i'm senna to me thinking i must have lost a wheel cos this feels so bad on no 1. I hope this is fixed.

fresquito

1 or 2
I've had plenty, plus everytime i have a go the force feedback feels different in the same car. It ranges from me thinking i'm senna to me thinking i must have lost a wheel cos this feels so bad on no 1. I hope this is fixed.
That's not a bug. That was autocalibration taking place during dev time. Values are being set in stone now and this shouldn't happen anymore.

danowat

Banned
We live in a world where the first sim racing game to include physics based puddles deserves a "decent enough".

On the snow question: All cars have ice tyres.

Always hard (at least for me) to judge a game from a youtube video, I need to play it.

I'm glad I haven't followed the development process that closely, because it's nice to be surprised by things this close to release.

Mascot

Another video! Build 772 - Nordschleife winter Nissan GT-R with tyres for icy conditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wduXTLacHiQ

I'm not nitpicking when I say i hope they fix the way precipitation is suddenly dumped on the glass a good second after the windscreen wiper pass. I find it bloody distracting. It's not something I'd easily ignore either as you have to look right through the effect at all times when it's raining, or snowing, or spray is kicked up by the car in front.

Any plans to fix this, or is it even under discussion at WMD?

_machine

So are these videos I have been seeing called Driver eye, the new in game helmet cam? Or is it a VR only camera view?
Afaik it's just what the youtuber (or youtubers) title their videos and is just the basic VR camera view. The old views with effects do make a return, but I don't think there's anything drastic new.

I've been saving the game mostly, unlike pCARS1, but inspired by the snow videos above I just had try out the GT 87 on a snowy Nurburgring and I was positively surprised. Afaik the snow conditions are currently being balanced, but it felt quite right compared to the experience of actually being driven in the snow in a BRZ. Maybe a tad bit on the easy side on low revs though. Rocket Bunny 86 on an autumn evening/night was also a very atmospheric and scary experience.

Here's a few screenshots from testing (though I used the default settings, which seemed to be medium-lowish, and I could've easily turned them up, but couldn't be bothered due to the need to restart the game:
378860_20170723145314f4s3w.png

378860_20170723151147g2sg1.png

Juicy Bob

Real shame for me that they couldn't figure out a way of making safety cars and cautions work.

The Indy 500 is going to feel really weird trying to avoid crashed cars at various points in the race.

stoke1863

Having got my Rift last week im so hyped for this. Going back to racing on a monitor is going to be tough.

Although racing in VR lacks image clarity it makes it up tenfold in immersion.

Real shame for me that they couldn't figure out a way of making safety cars and cautions work.

The Indy 500 is going to feel really weird trying to avoid crashed cars at various points in the race.

That is definitely a bummer. Can't be any worse than what I've been trying to convince myself as the Indy 500 in Forza 6. I hope the AI is worked out.

Top Bottom